Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217675 times)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #330 on: 09 March 2018, 10:16:58 »
Okay, maybe I am confused . . . I thought it was supposed to be all new fiction, but I see reviews on Amazon for this book going back to 2014?
This book had a Kindle edition for a while (2014).  Before that it was released as a serial on Battlecorps (2012-2013). It was just released in print.
It's not the new fiction that has been talked about.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

klarg1

• Captain

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #332 on: 09 March 2018, 11:01:51 »
It's not the new fiction that has been talked about.
Jennifer is currently working on a new trilogy (new characters, new story, set in the opening stages of ilClan), then there’s Blaine’s novel (spanning Twilight of the aflame through Dark Age) in the final stages for publication, as well as new novellas/novels by Blaine and Jason Schmetzer in development. 

Should have a press release for everything in development as soon as…soon as I review and give the green light.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #333 on: 09 March 2018, 11:32:53 »
The important thing, to me, is that the novel is available in physical form. That's a solid step forward, even if the material is a few years old.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #334 on: 09 March 2018, 11:38:56 »
Not sure print matters any more for fiction . . . afaik, most new releases put out the hardback and epub at the same time.  They still delay the paperback as they used to in the old industry model.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #335 on: 09 March 2018, 11:54:51 »
good number of people I know read e-pubs or get the audio book.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #336 on: 09 March 2018, 11:56:55 »
I don’t have time for anything but audiobooks anymore.
I’ve listened to more books in the past 8 months than I have read in nearly the last decade. Another few months and I’ll surpass it.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #337 on: 09 March 2018, 12:00:29 »
Not sure print matters any more for fiction . . . afaik, most new releases put out the hardback and epub at the same time.  They still delay the paperback as they used to in the old industry model.

There's a difference between print isn't everything, and print doesn't matter. 
https://www.statista.com/topics/1474/e-books/
"By 2018, e-book sales are forecast to account for about a quarter of global book sales."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/426799/e-book-unit-sales-usa/
For the last five years, ebook sales have been flat or even decreased. (The link above only goes to 2016, but I've seen numerous articles about 2017 and ebook sales slipping.)  At less than a quarter of all books.
Not having print is leaving you out of the majority of the book market.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #338 on: 09 March 2018, 12:01:40 »
Yup.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #339 on: 09 March 2018, 12:17:23 »
There's a difference between print isn't everything, and print doesn't matter. 
https://www.statista.com/topics/1474/e-books/
"By 2018, e-book sales are forecast to account for about a quarter of global book sales."

https://www.statista.com/statistics/426799/e-book-unit-sales-usa/
For the last five years, ebook sales have been flat or even decreased. (The link above only goes to 2016, but I've seen numerous articles about 2017 and ebook sales slipping.)  At less than a quarter of all books.
Not having print is leaving you out of the majority of the book market.

Is that just major publishers or does it also include the self-publishing that happens?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #340 on: 09 March 2018, 13:38:11 »
I’ve listened to more books in the past 8 months than I have read in nearly the last decade. Another few months and I’ll surpass it.

Can we get Jason Hardy to do the audiobooks of the IlClan? I'm sure he'd make it dramatic.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #341 on: 09 March 2018, 13:40:44 »

Exactly this.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #342 on: 09 March 2018, 14:22:44 »
Is that just major publishers or does it also include the self-publishing that happens?

I do not wish to run that errand for you. If you really want to know, I posted the links so you can check yourself.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #343 on: 09 March 2018, 15:23:51 »
I apologize, it sounded like you were familiar with the work.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #344 on: 09 March 2018, 15:50:15 »
Blaine’s novel (spanning Twilight of the aflame through Dark Age) in the final stages for publication, as well as new novellas/novels by Blaine and Jason Schmetzer in development. 

Should have a press release for everything in development as soon as…soon as I review and give the green light.
Not sound like a pain, but you mean Twilight of the Clans right?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #345 on: 09 March 2018, 16:45:19 »
The important thing, to me, is that the novel is available in physical form. That's a solid step forward, even if the material is a few years old.
+1 from me.
I ordered a DTF copy from Amazon the moment I saw the announcement, even though I got the story via BattleCorps back in 2012. I may not care for miniatures, but I seem to have a collector's attitude towards physical books. Epub just doesn't cut it.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #346 on: 09 March 2018, 16:59:59 »
I apologize, it sounded like you were familiar with the work.

Nope. I really did not know the relevant ratio, it was surprisingly more difficult to find that I expected.  Lots of "ebook sales up X%" and "print sales down Y%", but it took me a while to find the actual comparison.  I hate how the momentum trend is always reported instead of the actual.  Makes the new always sound more of a big deal that it actually is, just so they can make it sound more impressive.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #347 on: 10 March 2018, 00:28:17 »
Jennifer is currently working on a new trilogy (new characters, new story, set in the opening stages of ilClan)...

You’re going to make me read young adult novels aren’t you. You do realize I’m powerless against ilClan, don’t you? Damn you! Well, I mean thanks for the fiction set in that era. I’m glad to see new stories coming out to help push the universe forward (I hope.)...but still, damn you.

I’m sure Jennifer will do solid work, it’s just that I am no longer a young adult. I’ve had to read some YA stuff with my kids. It’s pretty clear that my tolerance for angsty, insecure teenagers is...a bit low. Hell, I have a hard time going back and reading about Kai and Victor in their early stories without wanting to slap some sense into the both of them!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #348 on: 10 March 2018, 00:45:24 »
Nope. I really did not know the relevant ratio, it was surprisingly more difficult to find that I expected.  Lots of "ebook sales up X%" and "print sales down Y%", but it took me a while to find the actual comparison.  I hate how the momentum trend is always reported instead of the actual.  Makes the new always sound more of a big deal that it actually is, just so they can make it sound more impressive.

I also wonder how much of a impact things like Amazon's sort of library program is where you do not buy the books but can instead read them.  It would fit in with other trends away from owning to renting.  I have no idea how the Amazon program works, I just know that while I preferred to buy Kindle books b/c I wanted to own a copy of the stories I could look at any time my wife is the opposite in that she wants to read what she is interested in at the time and would not likely re-read books.
Colt Ward

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #349 on: 10 March 2018, 01:05:50 »
I also wonder how much of a impact things like Amazon's sort of library program is where you do not buy the books but can instead read them.  It would fit in with other trends away from owning to renting.  I have no idea how the Amazon program works, I just know that while I preferred to buy Kindle books b/c I wanted to own a copy of the stories I could look at any time my wife is the opposite in that she wants to read what she is interested in at the time and would not likely re-read books.

My guess, completely insignficant.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #350 on: 10 March 2018, 01:23:23 »
My guess, completely insignficant.

Yup. If it wasn't insignificant, the publishers wouldn't allow it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Sigil

• Lieutenant
« Reply #351 on: 10 March 2018, 03:25:02 »
You’re going to make me read young adult novels aren’t you. You do realize I’m powerless against ilClan, don’t you? Damn you! Well, I mean thanks for the fiction set in that era. I’m glad to see new stories coming out to help push the universe forward (I hope.)...but still, damn you.

I’m sure Jennifer will do solid work, it’s just that I am no longer a young adult. I’ve had to read some YA stuff with my kids. It’s pretty clear that my tolerance for angsty, insecure teenagers is...a bit low. Hell, I have a hard time going back and reading about Kai and Victor in their early stories without wanting to slap some sense into the both of them!

I thought it an "interesting" choice to make it YA fiction.  Either CGL is intentionally targeting younger players or they have no idea what the average age of a BattleTech player is...

Still, in all fairness, I would consider the existing body of fictional work to be mostly YA fiction, so its not much of a departure from their past/current standards. 

That said, personally, I'm ready for BattleTech novels to mature a bit by addressing more serious themes in a darker, grittier, more realistic setting.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #352 on: 10 March 2018, 04:21:50 »
About that book being Young Adult literature...
I've already said elsewhere that it starts out in clean Star Trek style; Nellus Academy is basically Starfleet Academy complete with Marik-purple spandex suits and Wesley Crusher is the next guy around the corner... before the book turns into Band of Brothers from one chapter to the next. Not exactly your YA fare anymore all of a sudden. My opinion at least. YMMV.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #353 on: 10 March 2018, 05:14:32 »
That said, personally, I'm ready for BattleTech novels to mature a bit by addressing more serious themes in a darker, grittier, more realistic setting.

+1
That's my bag, baby.  ;)
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #354 on: 10 March 2018, 07:41:26 »
I would listen to a Battletech Audio Book if there was one.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #355 on: 10 March 2018, 07:59:13 »

I think Audible has a few of the older ones, but my memory might be playing tricks on me this early in the morning.

I can go either way on this.  On the one hand, my default setting on YA books is zero interest. On the other hand, though, the Hunger Games books (apart from the end) were pretty darned good.  I definitely get what you're saying, but I will remain... cautiously optimistic. 

I thought it an "interesting" choice to make it YA fiction.  Either CGL is intentionally targeting younger players or they have no idea what the average age of a BattleTech player is...

I think CGL is well aware of their player age.  We definitely need younger blood, though. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #356 on: 10 March 2018, 10:37:35 »

There are a few on Audible. I have "Wolves on the Border" from there. It's very heavily abridged though. :(

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #357 on: 10 March 2018, 10:50:53 »
+1
That's my bag, baby.  ;)

Guys, guys! We can have both! And more new blood means more [strike]meat for the grinder[/strike] new players to show the nuances of gameplay!  O:-)
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
« Reply #358 on: 10 March 2018, 10:51:46 »
Probably 90% or so of the existing Battletech novels would be considered "Young Adult" novels today considering their content. The label doesn't necessarily mean the protagonist is a young teen, just that the narrative is not filled with overly graphic content. I may be wrong, (I haven't read the anything specific about these books) but it shouldn't be an immediate refusal on anyone's part.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #359 on: 10 March 2018, 11:34:34 »
It's funny how allot of veterans on this forum forgot that most of the older BT novels where written for a younger audience. (The BT cartoon wasn't aim at my current age group ether.) 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com