Author Topic: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 7  (Read 184877 times)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion 7
« Reply #540 on: 04 July 2020, 12:07:44 »
I'm not sure you'd even need green stuff for the Crab's window.  Could probably just hide it with the paint job.

Yeah, this is my line of reasoning too. It's not like the cockpit is automatically going to be darker on the mini.
If people really want that old school Crab look, it should be a piece of cake to cut that laser off and reposition it in the middle of the new cockpit area.

I generally like the redesigns, however I think that the fanfunded Flashman is better than this.

Gotta agree with this, it's nice to have a few curvier 'Mechs. New Flashman feels like it's trying too hard to look mean, with its grr-angry cockpit and sharp edges everywhere.

New Guillotine looks slick AF, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the final Lancelot looks like. It ain't skipping leg day though, that's for sure.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #541 on: 04 July 2020, 12:08:58 »
I like the flashman. Never really used the Crockett so it's like...fine? Iunno it was ugly as sin so it's not like they could make it worse ^_^.
Yeah I mean I actually miss the stupid sharp angles on the shoulders from the old but I guess this new look works.
Now the Guillotine, gimme a lance of those babies!
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #542 on: 04 July 2020, 12:16:33 »
I successfully ID’d the Crockett but it wasn’t “it’s a Crockett!”... more “it’s a... Crockett?”

Also agree on the flashman. I’m not married to the old design or even the admittedly great resculpt but something is off about that boy... a touch short maybe?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

General308

• Captain
« Reply #543 on: 04 July 2020, 12:51:23 »
I'm liking the new Guillotine and Lancelot. (and the Lancelot really needed some work). The Mongoose looks like an updated version of itself, which is also good.

I find the new crab's forearms a bit too chunky, but it fundamentally looks like a crab so I can't really complain.

After that...
I'm sad to say that if the Crockett wasn't labeled, there is no way I would have recognized it. It's not a bad looking machine, but I find it totally forgettable. I feel like the new thug leans that way a bit too, but retains enough essential "thugness" that I still like it. I can live with the new Crockett, but I suspect somebody will have to remind me what it is every time it appears on the table.

The Flashman on the other hand is a total miss for me. The old design needed help for sure , but after seeing the brilliant resculpt IWM put out in conjunction with Behrle Hubbuch and Justin Nelson, I am unconvinced that we needed a whole new Battlemech. The new design isn't bad, but it looks like it has replaced the slightly aero / art-deco design aesthetic of the Star League era with a much more angular WoB kind of look.

I think part of what makes me like the new Black Knight so much is that it updates the whole design while keeping some of that unnecessarily streamlined design from the original SL collection. In my own head, that look provides a subtle cue to designs originating from an imagined golden age.

Yea I like a lot of these new ones but the Lancolet is a night and day improvement

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #544 on: 04 July 2020, 12:58:22 »
I've been trying to think of how to make the Crockett more distinct, but each time I try, I find the detail I'm thinking of already included in the redesign.

I get that the new version addresses the anemic arms and wonky hips/legs from the original, and I support those goals.

It might be as subtle as shifting the SRM launchers to be more in line with the flow of the side torsos, and calling out the lines from joining the cockpit to the head fins? I dunno.
« Last Edit: 04 July 2020, 13:00:19 by klarg1 »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #545 on: 04 July 2020, 13:09:36 »
The Crockett look 100% meaner imo, like something you would want standing next to a Awsome. The Lancelot looks allot more fierce as well, the original looked a little anemic with the PPC not even visible in most of the artwork.

I'm honestly going to be tempted to make a SLDF task force after this.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #546 on: 04 July 2020, 13:18:07 »

I really want to like the Flashman there's just something I can't identify that's bothering me about it.  I'll have to wait and see the 3D renders.

The legs are very awkward imo
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #547 on: 04 July 2020, 14:00:45 »
Yeah I mean I actually miss the stupid sharp angles on the shoulders from the old but I guess this new look works.
Now the Guillotine, gimme a lance of those babies!
More like a star!! I'm gonna pretend they're the iic version for my second line forces ^_^.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #548 on: 04 July 2020, 15:14:23 »
The legs are very awkward imo

I think what it is that it looks like it's trying to work on it's abs by doing crunches... ???

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #549 on: 04 July 2020, 15:23:35 »
More like a star!! I'm gonna pretend they're the iic version for my second line forces ^_^.

Eh, I still like the IIC as is . . . but you could easily identify it as a IIC 2 I think.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #550 on: 04 July 2020, 15:29:24 »
Eh, I still like the IIC as is . . . but you could easily identify it as a IIC 2 I think.

Oh no doubt! I don't have one all ready so I'm just excited ^_^
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #551 on: 04 July 2020, 15:54:30 »
Ah, I do have one though it is a bulky mini, not able to be posed unfortunately so the new Guilli could present options.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #552 on: 04 July 2020, 16:26:53 »

It might be as subtle as shifting the SRM launchers to be more in line with the flow of the side torsos, and calling out the lines from joining the cockpit to the head fins? I dunno.

This. Extend the side torsos above cockpit and put the SRMs in line instead of like ears on the side of the mech as they appear now.

Guillotine is spot on fantastic.  Mongoose too. Champion is hard to tell whether I like it or not.  Better than the 2750 art at least but I definitely don’t like the side laser design.

I love everything about the crab except the claws. They look like staplers to me.  Guess I’m in the minority because I love the cockpit.

Unfortunately I hate the Flashman.  Lines are everywhere. While very detailed it is way too aesthetically “cluttered”.  The only thing I like is the anti missile system.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #553 on: 04 July 2020, 16:30:53 »
Office Crab with duel Mech Stapler 4s was key to supporting the SLDF bureaucratic apparatus

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #554 on: 04 July 2020, 16:57:02 »
Office Crab with duel Mech Stapler 4s was key to supporting the SLDF bureaucratic apparatus
The Crab reminds me of Clamps Gangster Robot from Futurama
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #555 on: 04 July 2020, 17:14:13 »
I think this is the first time I've ever found art of the Lancelot any sort of acceptable
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #556 on: 04 July 2020, 17:32:03 »
Guillotine is spot on fantastic.  Mongoose too. Champion is hard to tell whether I like it or not.  Better than the 2750 art at least but I definitely don’t like the side laser design.

Champion? Do you mean the Lancelot?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #557 on: 04 July 2020, 17:48:11 »
Since none of these mechs were ever favourites of mine, I think they look great! A few (like the Crockett, and Lancelot) I actively avoided due to unbearable ugliness, so these are extra great as far as I'm concerned!! 😁 the Crab and Guillotine were fine if not loved from my perspective so these are even better now. The Mongoose I've always liked so I'm glad this new one looks like a Mongoose still.  :thumbsup:
I give it my "totally irrelevant stamp of approval"!!

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #558 on: 04 July 2020, 21:01:50 »
Champion? Do you mean the Lancelot?

Ruger

Yep.  Lancelot.  Sorry.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #559 on: 04 July 2020, 22:18:01 »
Flashman too far from it's original image to pass for Flashman to me.  It had a UrbanMech vibe this new one lacking.  Crocket same thing it's too...different.  I mean the original image was odd to be certain but it was unique. This one...is bit generic to me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #560 on: 04 July 2020, 23:05:11 »
Admittedly, this is the first Death Eg-- Flashman art I've actually enjoyed.

This was always the C* pack that I was less interested in, but...

...I'm less less-interested-in-it after seeing the art, so good on ya.

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #561 on: 05 July 2020, 05:59:36 »
I really enjoy the new Crab art, though I may still pick up an IWM crab for myself, I'm not sure which I prefer.
Steiner, where money and mediocrity meet caring.

Precentor Scorpio

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #562 on: 05 July 2020, 12:52:03 »
"Your account has the 75.00 credit for your initial Star Colonel pledge. It can be viewed beneath "Payment Total" and is listed as "Manual Payments or Adjustments." As it stands, CrowdOx is currently closed and these credits are unavailable, but once we reopen CrowdOx for our wave 2 they will become available for your usage. If you would like to purchase another Star Colonel pledge and not have it redeemed for credit, be sure to indicate that intention in the next character survey we'll be sending out for backers to fill out.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and address any concerns!"

I just received this email response on 7/1.  My question was submitted on 2/23. 
Good morning,

I realize that you are incredibly busy with this kickstarter so please accept my apologies for not waiting, but I am hoping to receive my credit for giving up my character option.

I would also like the Star Colonel pledge to be reduced by the $75.00 so I can buy another Star Colonel package without having to get another $75.00 credit.

Thank you

Do I care about the delay? Nope.  I am happy that I got a response.  My plan is to attend GenCon 2021 and host some games using these plastic miniatures.  So if I were to receive the mechs in the Spring of 2020 or the Fall of 2020 it really doesn't matter. 

I am simply posting this in an attempt to let others know that Catalyst is addressing the issue of the Star Colonel Credit.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #563 on: 05 July 2020, 14:20:35 »
I thought it was interesting that despite not really liking the Flashman model I was oddly disappointed that the new design didn't have more visual references to the old model.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #564 on: 05 July 2020, 22:32:57 »
I will say that as much as I like the new Guillotine, I will miss some of the original's retro Flash Gordon silliness.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #565 on: 06 July 2020, 08:50:52 »
I will say that as much as I like the new Guillotine, I will miss some of the original's retro Flash Gordon silliness.

I miss the shoulder flanges but otherwise like the new design
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #566 on: 06 July 2020, 11:23:44 »
I think all the comstar redesigns are, across the board, much better than the original art. However, not all of them are as distinctive as the original art. The Guillotine's shoulder pads and searchlight made it easily identifiable, while the new one look more like it is related to an Awesome. The Flashman was one of the egg-bros, and pretty easy to identify because of that. The new versions of these two mechs are not as instantly recognizable, but they are still better and less cartoonish than the original art in my mind.

The Crab is still pretty distinctive, but I think the major issue I have with it is the angle of the arms. I don't like the arms hanging down from the shoulders. I prefer the older look where the arms came out of the side and were almost parallel to the ground. It made it look more like a crab and less like a Linebacker with weird hands. The shape of the arms are good, but they should be elbows-out not elbows-down, if that makes any sense.

The lancelot and mongoose are just plain better, although I think the Mongoose Gunslinger is still my favorite Mongoose.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #567 on: 06 July 2020, 12:26:27 »
This is certainly fair, but I kind of like the unifying features as it makes things like actuator size, armor panel replacement, and so forth so much more believable.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

pixelgeek

• Master Sergeant
    • My blog
« Reply #568 on: 06 July 2020, 12:56:37 »
The Crab is still pretty distinctive...

Even with the redesign the Crab is the oddest idea for a mech design that I have seen. I think it actually looks worse now since there are fewer "clown car" models in the range.

Take this all with a bag of salt though as I love the Goliath so what the heck do I know

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #569 on: 06 July 2020, 13:24:48 »
I generally like the redesigns, however I think that the fanfunded Flashman is better than this.

Which one is that?

The new Flashman doesn't do it for me, either.  The squid beak really bugs me, and the shoulder pads are prominent enough to remove the distinctiveness.  There's a 3rd-party proxy out there that looks a little like a Big Mac, but I prefer it.

The others are great, though.  This one's the only ComStar redesign I'm not in love with.

Register