Author Topic: BT History Minute: Donald G. Phillips & Star Lord  (Read 5907 times)

haesslich

• Lieutenant
Re: BT History Minute: Donald G. Phillips & Star Lord
« Reply #30 on: 09 December 2018, 17:54:00 »
Ideal War being saddled with one of the worst covers of any Battletech novel (only DRT really beat it) probably was part of the reason it was so underrated.
That, and it was me politics than mech action probably soured its prospective audience.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 10 December 2018, 21:00:00 »

And big kudos to all the folks who provided inspiration for the farcical elements and obscene tragedies sprinkled throughout the book: the Viet Cong, the ARVN, the wacky Diem clan, a group of U.S. presidents with more hubris than historical perspective (the French warned us), and finally, Robert McNamara, William Westmoreland, and the ladder climbers at the Pentagon (c. 1960s) who somehow got the notion you could fight a war like taking a final for an M.B.A. degree. Thanks guys, I couldn't have written the book without you."

That is a quote worth noting!  Hubris, ladder climbers, VC, etc ... well done and played.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 11 December 2018, 23:10:12 »
Ideal War being saddled with one of the worst covers of any Battletech novel (only DRT really beat it) probably was part of the reason it was so underrated.

Which is kinda funny, because the interior art work is pretty good

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 12 December 2018, 13:04:32 »
Which is kinda funny, because the interior art work is pretty good
Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Far Country here, the third oddball BT novel that often gets mentioned alongside Star Lord and Ideal War?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #34 on: 12 December 2018, 14:17:20 »
Giant talking space chicken is the only thing that makes Far Country a 'wait, what!?' for Battletech. Excluding intelligent alien life in most of that particular universe, talking chicken are going to seem as just out of place as say, light sabers or space magic. In any other context, there is nothing wrong with Far Country.

The only thing that made me go 'wut?' with Star Lord was the Stefan Amaris VII bit. That said, Star Lord inspired many mission on my table.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #35 on: 12 December 2018, 14:21:21 »
the only weird part of ideal war's cover is the questionable tactics being used by the combatants - there is little ideal about an Awesome and Marauder engaging at point blank range.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 12 December 2018, 14:37:49 »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 12 December 2018, 15:58:33 »
Giant talking space chicken is the only thing that makes Far Country a 'wait, what!?' for Battletech. Excluding intelligent alien life in most of that particular universe, talking chicken are going to seem as just out of place as say, light sabers or space magic. In any other context, there is nothing wrong with Far Country.

The only thing that made me go 'wut?' with Star Lord was the Stefan Amaris VII bit. That said, Star Lord inspired many mission on my table.
Oh, I'm usually the first person in a thread to point out that Far Country is actually a well-written novel. It's just not very BattleTech-y and sticks out like a sore thumb with the Tetatae.

I've also often defended Ideal War, which imho is a decent book. In the context of what we later learn about the WoB, it gets even better. It's openly, unapologizingly Vietnam-in-Space and says so in the preface. I never had a problem with that; it's the conclusion that reeks of deus-ex-machina and is just a bit too tidy. The untidy ramnifications of what happens in this book unfortunately happen in the Jihad era so the reader doesn't immediately get to see what things built up to.

Star Lord, as someone else said, reads very much like a RPG campaign put to print. It's a fun, wild romp but some plot elements are a bit rough around the edges.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 12 December 2018, 16:27:13 »
Are you sure you're not mixing it up with Far Country here, the third oddball BT novel that often gets mentioned alongside Star Lord and Ideal War?

Nope. Ideal War has some fantastic images inside - couple decent looking Mechs (including a Ph-Hawk coveting it’s cockpit to avoid the nuclear flash) and a lot of nice portraits or action scenes

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #39 on: 12 December 2018, 16:37:17 »
Come on! Lousy tactics is a trademark of BT novels!! In star Lord the main character knows that a square is a kill zone. What does he do? Walk straight in and survive due to autor fiat. Same with GDL battles where shadow Hawks take on Marauders AND crusaders combined and come out on top doing the very sensible tactic of charging ahead alone and without cover.

Except the urban battle between hover and wheeled PPC carriers and light mechs on trellwan, I still have to read a battle that sound alike anyone using actual tactics and not slashing out in a berserker braindead mode :)

Edit: initiation to war has a pair of good ambushes, but also stupid battles. A combo of both really.

Anyway, it is still fun, but My players can do better than the main characters in some of the novels I have read. And they are not that good playing, nor am I.
« Last Edit: 12 December 2018, 16:39:21 by Elmoth »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 12 December 2018, 16:37:58 »
Checked my old hardcopy and you're right: Ideal War, too, has great interior art. Completely forgot about these. They're credited to Laubenstein, while the internal art in Far Country is by Rick Harris.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 12 December 2018, 18:08:54 »
The cover art for Star Lord looks pretty good.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #42 on: 12 December 2018, 20:54:36 »
Wait, there was interior art in the novels? All I remember from the Roc paperbacks is a few rough scans of TRO images on the last few pages. Nothing specific to the stories themselves.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #43 on: 12 December 2018, 21:07:26 »
Only some of the novels.  Mostly stuff printed in the early 90s.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 12 December 2018, 21:24:27 »
Wait, there was interior art in the novels? All I remember from the Roc paperbacks is a few rough scans of TRO images on the last few pages. Nothing specific to the stories themselves.

Most had mech art from TRO's in the back so new readers would know what the mechs in the book looked like, some had a few illustrations. Heir to the Dragon was one such book that had a few pages depicting scenes in the book.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 13 December 2018, 07:28:34 »
From memory Main Event, Far Country, Ideal War, the first three GDL saga books all had interior art. Probably more too

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #46 on: 13 December 2018, 15:01:09 »
From memory Main Event, Far Country, Ideal War, the first three GDL saga books all had interior art. Probably more too

Of the German novels, some towards the middle of the run did - the first GDL novel with Alex Carlyle, Main Event, Assumption of Risk are the ones I remember.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #47 on: 13 December 2018, 15:09:14 »
I think something like "Far Country" makes a lot more sense if you do not consider it a depiction of canonical events, but an in-universe fictional story - perhaps the equivalent of 20th century stories where the protagonists find a lost place somewhere in Africa or South America or whatever with Neanderthals and dinosaurs and the like. Fun, but never meant to be realistic.

Likewise, "Star Lord" works better as an in-universe thriller than as a depiction of canonical events.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 13 December 2018, 15:20:23 »
I think something like "Far Country" makes a lot more sense if you do not consider it a depiction of canonical events, but an in-universe fictional story - perhaps the equivalent of 20th century stories where the protagonists find a lost place somewhere in Africa or South America or whatever with Neanderthals and dinosaurs and the like. Fun, but never meant to be realistic.

Likewise, "Star Lord" works better as an in-universe thriller than as a depiction of canonical events.

I give allot of stories the '1st SomerSet Strikers' treatment; it didn't happen exactly like that but that's how you heard it ;)

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 16 December 2018, 16:49:58 »
I always enjoyed "Star Lord" and it was a bit of fun.  It had the distinction of being one of the only novels I had that spent any real time with the FWL (that seemed rare back then) and some random periphery areas.  I always would have been happy to see some of those characters come back in another book just for fun.  It also had the distinciton of being a book full of mechs that I did not know what they looked like because it is chock full of unseen and at least in my copy has no images for them (and since I came in during the  90s to the novels my TROs did not have them either).  SO I was kept wondering what a wasp, thunderbolt, wolverine, crusader, archers, and warhammers all look like.

GarageBay9

• Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 18 December 2018, 05:06:02 »

I know for a fact that Close Quarters had some - including a great one of the 9th Ghost and the Caballeros maneuvering through the city at harsh-language distances on El Dia de Los Muertos.  I don't believe Hearts of Chaos or Black Dragon had any.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #51 on: 18 December 2018, 05:18:10 »
I know for a fact that Close Quarters had some - including a great one of the 9th Ghost and the Caballeros maneuvering through the city at harsh-language distances on El Dia de Los Muertos.  I don't believe Hearts of Chaos or Black Dragon had any.

Close Quarters is the Victor Milan novel I could never find a copy of. The other two I know for a fact didn't have any illustrations besides the TRO pics in the back--unless there were two editions printed.

There was a shift in the style of covers that Roc printed sometime in the mid-90s, so I'm guessing this is when they dropped the illustrations. I didn't start reading the novels until 1997.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 18 December 2018, 15:33:28 »
I remember the first novel with Aiden Pryde in it that I have has a few in book illustrations (not including the mech drawings in the back of the book).

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #53 on: 18 December 2018, 16:44:53 »
All of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy books did.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register