Author Topic: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)  (Read 99333 times)

afterthought53

• Recruit
Re: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)
« Reply #210 on: 09 February 2013, 12:44:20 »
Davion didn't set out to deliberately destroy factories either.  Davion played by the established rules during the 4th War.  Teddy-boy isn't.
No, Davion didn't play by the (unspoken) established rules. The rules were; you do raiding not multi-regimental planetary invasions and every House for itself. Davion ignored those rules by allying with the Lyrans and then again broke those rules by launching multi-regimental invasions. If you're going to complain about breaking the rules than don't nit pick the ones you like and the ones you don't but either accept them all or realize that there is no 'fair' in war and do anything and everything you think you can get away with.

Yes and Teddy didn't damage the fusion reactor under his own capital city like the Steiners just did. Nor did Teddy try to kidnap and install an imposter as the head of another Successor State the way Lia did. Nor is Steiner or Davion looking at their nation crumbling around them the way Liao did. Maybe you didn't notice the part about the Steiners and Davions telling people that most of those supposed stolen jumpships never even existed and those that did are being released gradually. Your 'righteous anger' is very misplaced in this war as Davion(Comstar?) was the one that attacked civilians and Steiner(coup attempt) were the ones that damaged the fusion reactor under their own city dooming their own civilians while Kurita technicians tried to fix it .The Inner Sphere doesn't like to throw around nukes, at most the Steiners and Davions will begin seizing jumpships the same way Kurita did. If by some bout of stupidity and insanity, any of the Successor Lords begin throwing around nukes than nobody wins, not Steiner, not Kurita, and not Davion. All that will be left is a radioactive pile of ash.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2013, 12:48:34 by afterthought53 »

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #211 on: 09 February 2013, 14:03:08 »
There wasn't any rules for planetary invasions with multiple RCTs, unspoken or not.
It was more that by the end of the 3rd SW, nobody but the Fox thought it could still be done!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #212 on: 09 February 2013, 16:04:32 »
No, Davion didn't play by the (unspoken) established rules. The rules were; you do raiding not multi-regimental planetary invasions and every House for itself

The rules are "nobody destroys factories".  Teddy explicitly stated his goal was to destroy factories.

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #213 on: 09 February 2013, 17:13:43 »
The rules are "nobody destroys factories".  Teddy explicitly stated his goal was to destroy factories.

If the rules aren't working change the rules.
Ted needed to make the embryonic FedCom stop and think again rather than continue attacks on the combine, he can't count on his kapteyn allies to do much in the way of help and he can't  assume that the capcon will continue to be the main effort target.
Harm my nation and this is what I will do to you is a fairly clear message.
Even when the capcon was cut in half they didn't reach for the nukes.

Marwynn, more of the tale please!

chaosxtreme

• Master Sergeant
  • A Nation Ruled by Law's not Lord's
« Reply #214 on: 09 February 2013, 17:30:45 »
If the rules aren't working change the rules.
Ted needed to make the embryonic FedCom stop and think again rather than continue attacks on the combine, he can't count on his kapteyn allies to do much in the way of help and he can't  assume that the capcon will continue to be the main effort target.
Harm my nation and this is what I will do to you is a fairly clear message.
Even when the capcon was cut in half they didn't reach for the nukes.

Marwynn, more of the tale please!

Though this does bring up a good question. Since the Fed Sun's is still all in on the Capellan's not much is likely to change there except possibly the Free Tikinov Republic maybe(it could still go as canon easily).

But Theodore's success might lead to a change in the up until then half-hearted operation dagger(? not sure if that was acctually the name it has been a while since I have read handbook house marik) of Janos Marik if nothing else the detente with Skye leaves a significant portion of the FWL border friendly. Not that I am trying to divert the author to that front as I am enjoying the actions of the Dragon.
A Nation Ruled by Law's not Lord's

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #215 on: 09 February 2013, 18:25:53 »

Consider the reason for the rules, and the Third Succession War context in which they operated.  You took factories intact if possible because you needed what production you could get out of them.  Right now, Kurita has the keys to lostech, and they have Wolf's Dragoons and their Clan-based knowledge of that lostech; and they have a plan for rebuilding the economic infrastructure needed to exploit that.

The rules were pragmatic.  With the cards the Combine is holding in its dragon-claw, tossing the rules is pragmatic.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #216 on: 09 February 2013, 18:40:18 »
No, Davion didn't play by the (unspoken) established rules. The rules were; you do raiding not multi-regimental planetary invasions and every House for itself.

Actually,the ability to launch and sustain multi regiment invasions fell off, more often than not units would be rotated in and out of a battle.  Sevren and Galtor III are good examples of this.

Davion ignored those rules by allying with the Lyrans and then again broke those rules by launching multi-regimental invasions.

Again, not rules.  The inability of other successor states to do such things led to their falling out of use, and given what the Fed Suns had to do to pull it off, and some fiat on the combine border, it still could have gone much differently.

Dav
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #217 on: 09 February 2013, 19:31:19 »
The rules were pragmatic.  With the cards the Combine is holding in its dragon-claw, tossing the rules is pragmatic.

And thus they have invited a return to the days of smashing factories.  Or is the Combine magically immune to a Davion raiding force blowing up the Al Na'ir production center?

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #218 on: 09 February 2013, 19:35:49 »
And thus they have invited a return to the days of smashing factories.  Or is the Combine magically immune to a Davion raiding force blowing up the Al Na'ir production center?

Consider the reason for the rules, and the Third Succession War context in which they operated.  You took factories intact if possible because you needed what production you could get out of them.  Right now, Kurita has the keys to lostech, and they have Wolf's Dragoons and their Clan-based knowledge of that lostech; and they have a plan for rebuilding the economic infrastructure needed to exploit that.

Assuming that sandslice has correctly interpreted Marwynns story thus far then yes the combine is immune to the long term effect of Davion having a picnic that gets out of hand on Al'Nair.

Marwynn - more story please.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #219 on: 09 February 2013, 20:29:11 »

Assuming that sandslice has correctly interpreted Marwynns story thus far then yes the combine is immune to the long term effect of Davion having a picnic that gets out of hand on Al'Nair.

Yes just as I'm sure Natasha has a hidden transport fleet up her sleeve so she can completely loot Outreach before anyone notices.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #220 on: 09 February 2013, 21:32:35 »
Loot Outreach?

Yes. And no.

========================================================
Somewhere

Warlord Ivan Sorenson stood with all the dignity he could muster.

He wore a simple Kuritan infantryman's tans-and-clamshell battle uniform, his empty daisho sheathes still slapped his hip when he turned. His arms were bound together above him, a myomer-chain controlling the slack.

He was allowed to wander his cell when he was alone. But Ivan wasn't alone.

There were three voices in the room. All spoke in a curious cant that he couldn't place. The dialect was definitely swedenese, but it seemed wrong. He was a Rasalhaguian and he knew his people, but he had never heard these accents before.

They spoke of the Tyr, the oft-hoped-for armed force that would liberate them from House Kurita's choking grip. They spoke, but lacked the true fire.

He knew it, because he had been burned by that same fire years ago when he saved Takashi Kurita's life. He'd known it later as Warlord of Rasalhague, personally leading purges that even the ISF did not know about.

He heard all this because he couldn't see. Not since they took his eyes.

The door opened.

The fourth man, the one Ivan feared, stepped in. The man never spoke. But Ivan could hear the forceful gestures from the sound of the fourth man's uniform. The materials snapped, suggesting a tight-fitting formal dress, the slight clink of medals meant it was a uniform, but not one worn in the field.

He could smell the fourth man, his sweat, his breath, and the smell of the leather boots. They jangled.

He knew three uniforms that fit his observations. The first was that of an AFFS Marshal, but he dismissed that immediately. The man didn't walk like a military man, but dressed as one. The second was that of a group of mercenaries that descended from the Star League Defense Force.

It seemed even less likely, but they had massacred several long-standing mercenaries that claimed that heritage. The third was a half-remembered memory of the formal dress of the Guards of Rasalhague.

That seemed to be the conclusion he was to derive, from the forced swedenese, to the 'slips' the three sometimes shared when they were at the edge of his hearing.

The fourth man walked up to him and punched him in the stomach.

It didn't hurt.

Ivan Sorenson smiled.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #221 on: 09 February 2013, 21:34:35 »
LCAF Headquarters, Tamar
Tamar Pact, Lyran Commonwealth
22 October 3028

General Nondi Steiner drank her coffee in one swig. It had gone cold an hour earlier, but she didn't care.

Katrina... why?

An HPG message had been relayed from Tharkad at great expense and came in just hours ago. The capital was aflame. Bursts of local news reports claimed that the attack was by units dressed up as the 10th Lyran Guards. Later reports then clarified that by stating that, somehow, the DCMS had dressed up a regiment as the 10th Lyrans.

Nevermind that Duke Frederick had been on planet for two weeks before the attack, Nondi flexed her fists to get her blood circulating again.

The HPG burst's penultimate vid was of Theodore Kurita himself, answering the Archon's challenge and broadcasting his own callous demands. General Steiner knew that the LIC had edited that footage, that slightly manic gleam, that raised voice, it was the same thing the lesser news corporations did to foreign leaders.

Nondi wondered what was cut. Theodore recorded that message while conning a 'Mech, and there were telltales and charts that were not properly edited. Only another 'warrior could tell. There were no mentions at all of earlier fighting, and Theodore just brought up the damaged power plant without preamble.

Sloppy. Is that how desperate they were?

She shook her head and listened again to Katrina Steiner outlining the terms of her surrender. She called it a 'truce'.

Nondi listened very carefully to Archon Katrina Steiner's words.

"To my forces currently on Draconis Combine territory, I order you to cease all offensive operations. Hold position." The coldness in the Archon's eyes was not computer-enhanced.

She nodded to herself, drank the dregs from her mug and walked to the flatscreen displaying Operation Götterdämmerung's objectives. Initially, more than 55 worlds were targeted. Before Theodore Kurita's actions on Skye, she was hopeful for 50.

Nondi consoled herself at the 43 worlds she was able to take in two months' time. The second wave had smashed through the retreating DCMS regiments and whatever defenses they'd planned merely held off the inevitable. She reigned in further attempts to smash the Kuritans, instead consolidating and digging in. Then, she probed and prodded, and in one move she took Satalice, Skandia, and Alshain.

Her forces were retreating from Alshain, their DropShips laden with that world's factories' machinery. Satalice's Panther factory was already churning out spare parts for Lyran 'Mechs, and Skandia was a depot world with fresh stores for the DCMS.

Theodore hastened my plans, reduced its scope, Nondi mused as she stared at the map, but my troops are far better rested.

Nondi tapped on the flatvid, calling up the invasion of Gunzburg. The DCMS had heeded the missing-Warlord Sorenson's warnings. They dug in, drilled their militia, and waited. She scanned the reports, looking for the sections she highlighted earlier.

A from an armour regiment was able to encircle and defeat a whole battalion with his company's tanks and the support of a 'Mech lance. The Kuritan tanks were left unsupported by infantry which had dug trenches for some inexplicable reason. The DCMS Light 'Mechs were then late in responding, and were pinned down by a Lightning Company force.

More and more of the actions popped up. It all said the same thing: "I can't believe this actually works!"

Nondi felt the same. The AFFS-style of warfare was still new to her army, and it had many detractors in the LCAF. But now, after this rampant success, her troops were flush with victory and knew that combined-arms actions were not the future of combat, but the reality of war today.

That was an advantage she had over the DCMS.

They'll come for Radstadt and Satalice first. Unless they're Theodore's boys, they'll get beaten back. As long as our supplies hold, we'll hold.

General Nondi Steiner laughed to herself, shocking the aides and officers quietly working at their terminals. She called up the latest logistics reports and smiled.

"Thank you, Teddy," she said, finally, sensing eyes on her.

Your bloody terms just handed us your worlds for good.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #222 on: 09 February 2013, 21:50:38 »
Seems Nondi noticed the flaw in the agreement, no demand for the Lyrans to withdraw from where they already were, now all of the follow up wave troops can be used to hold what's been taken. Though I imagine Teddy should be thinking about what to do about his Uncle and the throne now that the Lyrans won;t be advancing anymore?

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #223 on: 09 February 2013, 22:00:10 »

They'd in a far better position to recover from such a thing - not quite immunity, but a definite advantage.

afterthought53

• Recruit
« Reply #224 on: 09 February 2013, 23:00:13 »
Nice Haul for the Lyrans though I fear it may spell bad news for the Davions. Kurita is going to look to even the scales by taking more bites out of the Draconis March while the bulk of the AFFS is knee deep in Cappies. Then again with the Bulk of the LCAF garrisoning and fortifying the newly expanded Tamar Region it opens up options for Marik if he ever decides to get off his lazy ass.
« Last Edit: 09 February 2013, 23:02:21 by afterthought53 »

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #225 on: 10 February 2013, 01:35:31 »
The Dracs should  be neck deep in a succession crisis already, that Theodore and his Uncle have kept focused on external threats this long is stretching believability already.

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #226 on: 10 February 2013, 01:59:23 »
Not necessarily. Frederick Steiner, from what I remember, refused to initiate a coup in otl and both actually worked together in fighting the Draconis Combine because he cared too much about the Lyran realm to take advantage. Again, from what I remember, he had a large number of troops loyal to him on Tharkad throughout the war. If he wanted to, he could have removed Katrina. The fact he didn't is telling.

Now, when the fighting is over? There I agree with you. There is only enough room for one Coordinator after all.

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #227 on: 10 February 2013, 04:36:45 »
I agree ted needs focus on the mission win the war then clean house.

Meanwhile "SOMEWHERE" well done sir.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #228 on: 11 February 2013, 00:10:25 »
Thanks Wolflord!

Freddie greatly shamed himself and requested a suicide mission to stop Theodore Kurita's Operation Contagion. I chose to ignore Alessandro Steiner (or did I?) in this telling, choosing instead Lestrade to push Freddie forward.

And he would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling Kuritans!

The DCMS is playing the hokey-pokey across the Draconis March (put your regiment in, put your regiment out)... So the gains are not quite what you'd expect an unhindered DCMS to be.

And all of that is happening before they even hear word that Teddy the K's alive.

=======================================================
The Fox's Den, New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Suns
31 October 3028

The cool, stale air of the underground command centre hid the nervous sweat of the men and women who spent the last three months coordinating the war. They were beyond weary, Hanse Davion saw.

He had begun rotating in a new crew a month ago, just a week after the Combine's sudden strikes on Northwind, Quentin, Caph, and Fomalhaut. By then, the second wave had been committed and he couldn't--no, he wouldn't--turn them around. Instead, he gambled on the third wave being enough to halt them.

Only the the Dieron forces weren't where they were supposed to be.

Hanse ran a hand through his hair as he recalled all he could of Warlord Minobu Tetsuhara. He was, as Quintus Allard put it, "the kind of samurai we fear--a competent one".

Northwind and Caph were still under enemy control, and Fomalhaut embroiled in a guerrilla war, but it was Quentin that revealed the Warlord's mind to him. The 5th Sword of Light's rampage shattered units and public morale--all indications pointed the bloodshed to be the 5th Sword's Palmer Conti's addition to the main plan--but the assault crippled that world's very productive factories.

And with just one world, the Warlord drew away three worlds' worth of defenders and transports. He called up a report he'd read three times already. The Kuritans took everything that wasn't bolted down, and slagged half of what they didn't take. Now my crews have to remove the good along with the bad and fix everything again.

The rebuilding efforts were constantly stymied by ISF sleeper agents. A bomb, a spray of gunfire, even some fires, and work was delayed for hours or days. It was a resource sink, a deadly distraction, and he had no recourse but to do as he was doing.

He recalled Quintus' wise words. "We have stop thinking of chivalry when we think of honourable samurai. Distraction and deception are built-in to the way of the warrior. If we mistake a feint for a strike, that's our fault. That's the Kurita samurai's mindset."

Hanse snorted at that. He had been used to fighting preening warriors too concerned of their own status that he had grossly under-estimated the Dragon's resolve. And his realm was paying for his arrogance.

He felt his heartbeat rise at that.

Behind him, a map of the Federated Suns dominated several massive vidscreens, and the Draconis March was bleeding red from its borders. The Combine had surged forward, taken worlds that--if he was honest--were worthless to him and to the realm as a whole without so much as a fight.

Worse was that the Combine's attacks were often followed by much-needed shipments of food, water supplies, even water purification plants from the Water Pure corporation from Skye: something he had been unable to arrange. That rankled.

The core of his belief was that the worlds of the Capellan Confederation and the Draconis Combine were better off under his rule. Yet his own agents reported sporadic parades thrown in the Dracs' honour on many worlds that had long suffered raids from the Combine.

Have I let things go so out of hand that my people are welcoming the DCMS?

His counter-attacks had been swift, but indecisive. The Kuritans melted away from him, choosing to withdraw back across to their borders even when they had the advantage. They left behind food stations, better roadways, field hospitals still staffed with Brotherhood physicians, and functional water purification devices that fed cities clean water from local, tainted, reserves.

No matter how badly the Combine had acted throughout history, no matter how justified he felt, he couldn't shed the thought of Snakes providing his people with clean drinking water while he waged a personal war.

His worlds were his again, but he let most of them remain surrounded in red as a reminder. This was how far the Draconis Combine got without severe resistance. If the Lyrans hadn't distracted and surprised the DCMS, Hanse wasn't honestly certain if there would have been a Draconis March left.

But why pull back? Marcus Kurita has shown himself to be a shrewd Coordinator thus far, why pull back when you have the advantage?

Hanse leaned back into his chair and closed his eyes. They watered from the hours spent staring at flatvids and holoprojections. When he opened them again, his chair had swivelled to the main displays.

He saw An Ting shining golden on the most distant vidscreen, surrounded by a smattering of glowing yellow-red spheres. Duke Aaron Sandoval, despite the supposed massacre, didn't waver from the plan. It wasn't his plan, but the duke's own, and it was paying off.

Word had leaked that Sandoval had ignored his orders, orders that had him garrisoning worlds that the Warlord Kester Hsiun Chi's forces later raided-in-force. Now, the Duke of the Draconis March and the Warlord of Galedon traded Combine and Draconis March worlds like duelists trading blows.

Benjamin had swallowed and retained Marduk and a group of industrialized planets. He had no forces to worry them, and his agents reported that trade with worlds within the Benjamin district had already begun.

The third wave's forces would secure the Dieron front, that Hanse knew. The Wolf's Dragoons and Ryuken had already reinforced some CCAF regiments, stalling half of the second wave targets in Tikonov. But they couldn't hold without severe damage, and the CCAF regiments--unused to the coordination or even the DCMS's strict discipline--had wavered.

He had to call up a few more mercenaries to do it, but the second wave was only a month overdue.

I can still do it. I can still smash the Confederation forever, even if I have to stop for a few years, even a decade, if I go on they will never be able to rebuild.

He was close. But he knew he wouldn't send the fourth wave in. Not while the Dragon had free reign across his border. With the third and fourth waves he could push the Dragon back and still hold on to his gains. It would strain his realm's economy past the breaking point, but he would hold.

So deep was he in his thoughts that he didn't notice Quintus Allard until the man rested a hand on his shoulder. He started, smiled up, then saw the expression on the other man's face.

"Melissa has left for Tharkad."

Hanse nodded and returned to his work.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2013, 07:30:44 by Marwynn »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #229 on: 11 February 2013, 11:00:34 »
Interlude: War Within a War

Busan, Tok Do
Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine
12 December 3028

Theodore Kurita cradled his baby daughter in his arms, cooing at her as Omi alternated between drooling and smiling. Tomoe, his wife, rested her head on his right shoulder, breathing in the serenity of the moment. Even young Hohiro running around and shedding kitchen utensils as an old monk chased and chastised after him only added to the moment.

The moment couldn't last, but Theodore knew he'd hold on to that memory for as long as they lived.

He had made so many mistakes these last few years, but in his hands were one of the few things he had gotten right. He bent over and kissed Tomoe on her forehead, then kissed Omi's who grasped at his face with sticky fingers.

Tok Do's lush jungles were vastly different from the desert world of Marfik, but they had to move. He never intended for his family to stay on the border world, but with the call to Dieron he had no choice but to leave his-then pregnant wife.

If Ninyu hadn't insisted on moving off-world... He kissed Omi again before handing her off to a waiting nurse. The hour Marcus Kurita learned of his survival, ISF operatives on Marfik struck several of their supposed-safehouses. If Ninyu hadn't been there... my family wouldn't be here.

He turned to Ninyu Kerai, lounging on the floor against a wall, teaching his son Hohiro how to grip the kitchen knife properly in two hands. The red-haired man glanced up, sensing his gaze. Theodore nodded, and the three of them left the children behind to their caretakers. On his way out, he patted Zeshin on the back, smiling. The old monk frowned back, as if saying "Even you weren't this much trouble."

They retired to a small, padded room, and tea had already been set before them. Gruffly, Ninyu poured himself a cup and flung its contents into a steel cylinder. It was another gift from Xinyang's Imperial Institute of Technology, probably the most sensitive portable liquid scanner in the Inner Sphere. Ninyu wasn't taking anything for granted, though he used the cylinder as a thermos from time to time.

When the cylinder's readouts indicated green, Theodore and Tomoe sipped their already poured tea. Ninyu swigged the tester's contents into his mouth, then refilled it.

It was an act, even when it was just the three of them, Ninyu--normally calm and unobtrusive--chose to be abrupt so that he could be as blunt as necessary.

"The Smiling One has betrayed you," Ninyu said without preamble. "That's what you think."

"Yes."

"You're dead wrong," Ninyu said. He took another gulp of the hot tea. "Tono," he added.

Tomoe tensed beside him but stayed silent. She owed her children's lives to this man, and she didn't feel right contradicting him. It was his instincts that got them off Marfik.

Theodore didn't respond to the blatant disrespect, he was past that now. "Then who sent the ISF against my family?"

"Marcus."

"You and I know, Ninyu-kun, that the ISF rarely acts without Subhash Indrahar's consent."

Ninyu waved that away and sat down. "The ISF is as monolithic as the Draconis Combine, tono. Which is to say not at all. The director has only gotten good at taking credit for what he wants and sweeping failures under the rug. Six feed under the rug, in most cases."

Theodore responded patiently, to his wife and his friend's surprise he noted. "What proof do you have?"

The ISF operative swept his right arm in a grand gesture. "This was to be the Coordinator's--Marcus Kurita's--residence here on Tok Do. He cancelled the plans to move the command post here when he got the HPG burst from Tharkad. But all of this was delivered after that, built and furnished." Ninyu walked closer to the pair. "And the command and communications equipment is fresh from New Samarkand, I checked. We have updated operational codes for all DCMS regiments--Theodore-sama this is now a DCMS High Command post."

"And you're saying we have Subhash Indrahar to thank for that?"

"Yes. Of course."

Theodore shook his head. "The Smiling One has always--always--placed the Combine above the interests of the Kurita family. He has countered my father more times than I can recall, and I remember several times where he engineered my father and I to a confrontation." He held up a hand. "Not that we needed much encouragement."

The Coordinator rose and walked to a transparisteel window. "No, Subhash is no ally. At least, not just my ally." He turned to the other two in the room. "I've harmed the Draconis Combine by not coming forward immediately. I risk civil war because of it. Even my actions on Skye, and on Tharkad, may have grander repercussions that I have not fully weighed. In fact, I know I didn't weigh them. There's rebellion in Rasalhague, uncertainty in the Pesht district, open war in Galedon, and Benjamin and Dieron have been ordered to stand down their offensives. We've hurt the Davions and now they're coming for us."

Theodore looked his wife and his friend in the eyes. "All this can be laid at my feet. I am the rightful successor, Subhash knows this. He also knows that Marcus did well enough in his few months, not interfering with his Warlords but supporting them as they prosecuted the war."

"You honestly believe Marcus recalled the DCMS so they'd fight for him, against you?"

"Yes," Theodore nodded, "and they would."

They stared back at him, incredulous. "Consider my reputation: a regimental officer rotated out to the dregs of the DCMS, a flamboyant woman-chaser, a radical tactical revolutionary using gaijin tactics. I can count on Dieron and most of Benjamin. But Galedon clings to the old samurai ways, as does Pesht. Rasalhague... well they're not much of a concern at the moment, are they?"

When neither Tomoe or Ninyu contradicted him, Theodore nodded.

"There will be a civil war. But it won't be fought on Luthien."

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #230 on: 11 February 2013, 20:30:39 »
Civil war with no Black dragons in sight.
Let the fun begin. >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #231 on: 12 February 2013, 11:38:12 »
Technically, they're still all Black Dragons at this point...  ;)

========================================

The Dragon's Lair, Tok Do
23 December 3028

"Rasalhague is not our concern right now." Theodore said, letting his words echo.

The massive command bunker was dominated by a raised holotank in the middle, ringed by staff that spent their days analyzing and projecting. Each section was built redundantly, with the layers of the rings a spectrum of all the DCMS's administrative requirements. It was ISF by design, each section could be sealed off and require massive breaching charges to bring down. There were multiple escape routes as well, all known to Theodore. He set his cool gaze on the assembled regimental officers.

The faces that stared back at him wrestled with that statement. The Lyrans, lead by a woman, with an army commanded by a woman, gouged a chunk out of the Rasalhague district. On those worlds, non-stop reports of 'liberation festivities' continued, punctuated by ISF bombings and massacres of the parades.

Many of the officers gathered before him wanted to punish the Lyrans, push them out completely. But there would be plenty enough time that, Theodore had made sure Katrina would keep her word.

Even now, Tharkad wrestled with the remnants of his Operation Contagion. Dozens and dozens of teams were sabotaging all attempts at recovery. The factories weren't gutted as he hoped, but they were entering their second month of delays. Coupled with the unexpected downturns in the Tamar Pact region's output, which Theodore had Ninyu look into, the Lyran warmachine was stalled.

"Right now, Marcus Kurita is ordering individual regiments to withdraw from the Draconis March. Withdraw even past our own border worlds." He paused and looked at the stretch of regimental commanders to his right. "The Fox is no fool. He gambled on us to be too surprised to strike at his exposed back, and he lost that bet. But as we sit here, the An Ting Prefecture is under assault and garrison forces all across Galedon and Benjamin are being hard-pressed."

"The Coordinator---" a man began, then choked down what he was saying.

"Yes, I'm aware of what Marcus Kurita promised those who disobey him." They all were. Three Galedon Regulars regiments refused orders. All three commanders received messages informing them of the sudden accidental deaths of their entire families. They were dismissed on 'compassionate grounds' to be allowed to grieve properly.

Since then, no regiment had refused orders from High Command.

He looked to the commanders to his left. "The Lyrans are not our concern at the moment. I made sure of it." Heads nodded at that, they needed the small reminder.

"Tono," a Pesht commander began. "Forgive me, but Co--Marcus Kurita's plans have worked. Duke Sandoval is now surrounded on all sides, and the last reports we received were of his forces withdrawing across the border."

Heads nodded at this, warily. "He also reinforced Marduk and garrisoned several worlds, cutting off the forces advancing on our borders' supplies."

Another commander, from Dieron this time, interrupted. "He does so at the cost of all our gains! He allows the Federats on our worlds when we could've fought them on theirs!" An open hand slammed on the table. "Warlord Tetsuhara conferred with Warlords Chi and Shotugama, agreeing on an overall plan."

Theodore nodded for the sho-sho to stand and continue as he sat back down.

"The first attacks were to come from Galedon, then the troops would disappear. Draw whatever reserves the AFFS had. We used Pesht troops--" he paused and raised his chin at the Pesht commander, "--your own garrison troops, to hold those worlds. They were to dig in, hoard their supplies, and hold. We from Dieron were to strike next, cut off the bridge of worlds that linked the Suns from the Commonwealth. This would draw more attention, so Warlord Tetsuhara held most of his forces in reserve to respond. Then Benjamin would be free to seize territory, mostly unopposed."

The sho-sho nodded then took his seat again.

"It wasn't that coordinated," Theodore began, shocking the officers, "I was there when Tai-shu Tetsuhara drafted the plan. We couldn't know for certain what the AFFS had waiting. Galedon acted first, out of Tai-shu Chi's need to secure accurate intelligence." And make use of the Wolf's Dragoons and Ryuken while he had them.

"But the plan was to fight on Davion worlds, to spare ours, and to expand our territory."

Theodore rose again and this time the massive holotank they sat in projected an image of the Draconis Combine's border with the Federated Suns. A few months ago, the Suns' worlds bled red. Now there were rays piercing into the Dragon's realm.

"Instead, we fight to protect our homes. We lure the AFFS into traps, cut them off, deprive them of supplies, when our own forces are undamaged. Our own supplies deep and well distributed."

He looked at the commanders in the eyes and held them in his blue gaze. "These are not the actions of a confident warrior. Even if he succeeds, all he has done is secure a handful of worlds at great damage to ours. These are not the actions of a wise leader."

The men and women agreed, one by one. Some nodded, others straightened up, and a few resonated with clear chi. He reached out to the last, letting them feel his confidence.

"You are all part of Marcus Kurita's 'second line' of defenders," Theodore said, dismissively. "I order you, as your rightful Coordinator, to leave those posts to their planetary militias and attack!"

Two dozen pairs of feet slammed to the ground as each side of the table stood and then bowed.

"Hai, Coordinator!"

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #232 on: 12 February 2013, 22:52:24 »
Blood and Ashes.......somebody gonna be hurtin' real soon!
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #233 on: 13 February 2013, 01:26:46 »
Orders from 2 different coordinators.
Marcus will be assisting many families onwards very soon.
Personally it would be a good time for an extended vacation whilst both sides kill each other off. ::)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #234 on: 14 February 2013, 09:58:50 »
Busan, Tok Do
24 December 3028

Archduke Hassid Ricol swept into the dark room, his red cape trailing in a dashing wave behind him.

Theodore was impressed. The man had just spent weeks traveling from the edge of the Dieron district had just landed, but he looked energetic. Even vibrant.

The clammy, humid atmosphere of Tok Do left him uncomfortable in anything but the lightest of robes. Still, comfort wasn't a samurai goal, so he wore a soldier's tans instead. He looked like an upstart peasant compared to the Red Duke in his finery.

"You sent for me, tono," the older man said smoothly. It wasn't a question.

He considered staring down the man, but the Red Duke was known as the Red Hunter before and had the steel of a MechWarrior running through him. At best, all he'd accomplish would be to turn the man he believed to be a traitor into one.

I am not my father.

Instead, Theodore smiled. "Indeed I did, archduke. Please have a seat." The man slid into the chair opposite him. "How are things in the new Lyons Prefecture?"

Ricol nodded once, as if confirming something to himself. "Well, my Lord. The reality of life within the Combine for the new citizens is slowly sinking in, but I've kept a feather touch," the archduke smiled at him, "as you recommended, and so far civil disruptions throughout the dozen former Skye worlds are minimal."

Theodore felt the slight emphasis on the number of worlds he had taken. Aldo Lestrade had offered him ten only and he took two more; of the dozen that now made up the erstwhile Lyons Prefecture, not all were the worlds the Duke of Summer had been willing to sacrifice. Theodore took the worlds that mattered to the Dieron district and the Combine as a whole, and would remain unapologetic for doing so.

The chemicals alone from Corridan IV and Ryde were boosting the economies of various worlds, including those two planets. Already, Luthien Armour Works had signed a dozen deals with various Ryde and Corridan IV corporations, allowing them to supply the various parts, armour, and ammo factories in the Dieron district with the higher-grade chemicals and heavy metals locally. The civilian corporations had more than fifty new contracts already. Even in war, the Combine's economy was growing at a rate that attracted Marik investors.

And Archduke Ricol had a hand in all of the deals, Theodore knew. Military commanders could sometimes become wealthy after retiring if they favoured contracts from one supplier over another. But civilian governors were expected to become wealthy while they served; their personal prosperity was seen as the indicator for their worlds' wealth.

The slight rebuke was not proper for an archduke to his Coordinator. Theodore showed no outward signs, but he focused his chi and shaped a slight dread around him. Ricol was not versed in the control of chi, but he reacted just the same.

"We--we have allowed trade with other Skye worlds, minimizing any further disruption." The archduke gulped then continued. "And the announced return of those JumpShips pressed into service have had a positive effect." The voice was tight, but in control.

The pointed question of where the rest of his supposed pirate fleet was hung in the air, but it was betrayed by Ricol's own nervousness. And I'll ignore your own private fleet for now, archduke. Clever, to use them as a communications link with you and Lestrade.

Theodore slackened the chi around him, as if allowing air to breeze again. The archduke relaxed slightly, but visibly. "Skondia is proving to be very popular with investors, tonot," the red-garbed man said, deflecting attention from his state. Theodore could taste some anger behind his words. "I hear your 'uncle' Chandrasekhar has invested some of the Wolf's Dragoons' fortunes into a mining corporation on that world."

That was a not-too-subtle secret, but a secret nonetheless.

He nodded. "Yes, he has." Along with increasing security force strengths with 'hard' and 'soft' assets. "Uncle Chandy's investments always pay off." Theodore sipped his cool tea, signalling for the archduke to do the same. "Metals of the Earth is also investing heavily on Skondia. How did you convince the planet's resistance to give up bombing their own mines?"

The revelation of another, much deeper, secret didn't startle Hassid Ricol. The man is ice, wrapped in flame.

"Duke Lestrade, or Grand Duke Lestrade as he's known now." He finished taking another sip then continued. "Somehow, he convinced the miners that we would be making weapons to keep fighting the Lyrans," the pause was meant as a question which Theodore ignored, "and it would be better if they were properly trained on Summer to fight. For Skye's independence. If that's what they truly wanted. Most have returned from training, washed out I suppose, and have gone back to the mines."

So ka. The 'Grand Duke' is training guerillas. Wise. Why tell me?

"What is the Grand Duke's mind on the... Tharkad Truce?"

"He said that if you had, and these are his words, 'killed the bitch' he would've sworn fealty to you!" The archduke laughed refinedly.

And stab me in the back as soon as I turned away. Theodore's smile grew cold.  "With nobles like that sworn to me, what need have I of Hanse Davion?"

Archduke Hassid Ricol dipped his head. "Tono, I shall always stand behind you."

"I know you will, Archduke Ricol. I need you to send a message for me to the Grand Duke."

END INTERLUDE
« Last Edit: 14 February 2013, 11:24:02 by Marwynn »

afterthought53

• Recruit
« Reply #235 on: 14 February 2013, 14:30:56 »
Yes behind you, with a dagger in hand.  ::)

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #236 on: 14 February 2013, 15:35:23 »
BOOK THREE

Yori MechWorks Factory Zero, Al Na'ir
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
14 February 3029

Marshal George Powell stepped his brand-new Cataphract over the sun-baked ground, playing the childish game of avoiding cracks with a Heavy 'Mech.

The spiderwebbing on the ground was dangerous at sunrise and sunset, when the surface cooled and the thin gases that clung near the ground sank into the cracks. A misstep could see the ground crumble away, even swallow up entire 'Mechs. A route that looked sound and stable could turn into a death trap.

Sounds familiar...

It didn't matter, he had to be seen by his troops. That was the reason why he was at the conn of a prototype Capellan 'Mech instead of back in his command DropShip. The 1st Crucis Lancers, the entire Crucis Lancers, had been lifted off Tikonov as soon as resistance fell apart.

There had been no time to rearm, refit, and rest on the planet. They had to do what they could en route.

Marshal Powell stepped sideways to avoid a stretch of ground that his sensors said was slightly unstable, and then moved on. The night amplification circuits were having a difficult time peering through the 'fog', the clouds of gases that on Al Na'ir passed for an atmosphere.

He avoided thinking about the state of the JumpShips that hauled the Crucis Lancers to the heart of Dieron's worlds before finally being forced back to the border worlds they had left alone.

The Third Wave of Operation Rat, meant to carve out more of the Capellan Confederation, had been redirected into the Draconis Combine at the last moment. They pushed ahead, chasing fleeing DCMS regiments and ran headlong into the Combine counterattack courtesy of Theodore Kurita.

They didn't watch their step. He wouldn't make the same mistake.

Al Na'ir, one of the few sources of the indomitable Atlas BattleMech in the Inner Sphere, had been bypassed. It was more important to chase and defeat their garrisons, who had inexplicably retreated off-world, than it was to secure the planet.

Marshal Powell didn't claim to know the mind of Hanse Davion, his Prince, but he saw the desperation behind the plan.

Capturing a factory paled in comparison to smashing apart DCMS regiments. Factories could only produce so many replacement parts and assemble 'Mechs in a given amount of time. Yori MechWorks' assembly plant was just over the horizon, a massive, sprawling mountain of metal with five separate pads for DropShips.

The scale astounded him.

A MechWarrior all his life, he never knew the difficulty between assembling a 'Mech and manufacturing its parts. It was more than just the materials used, it required skill and delicate, careful work to bind a BattleMech whole. It was easier to build all the limbs of an Atlas than it was to attach it to a 'Mech in a functional way. It had to be done in a precise manner that he barely understood.

Like all 'warriors, he assumed that just because the techs could repair it in the field making a 'Mech was easy enough to do in a factory. One of his aides had remarked on that before being corrected by an advisor. An unskilled worker could greatly reduce the degree of motion a 'Mech would have, while talented artisans could craft a 'Mech that could surpass its technical limitations. He had been surprised when the advisor called up the Kuritan's mass-produced Panther series--generations of AFFS MechWarriors studied its technical readout, knowing that they'd face it on the field at least once in their career, and nearly all were surprised by its increased footspeed, its agility, even its cooling.

The Kuritans had mastered crafting the Panther to an art form. Nothing produced in the Inner Sphere today had that same quality.

Yori MechWorks had managed the same for the much heavier Atlas. A Yori-made Atlas didn't move faster, but moved smoother. Its armour was built to the original SLDF-specifications and improved to the point where penetrating into the vulnerable insides required stripping off nearly all armour.

It was an art that was being remastered elsewhere, for other 'Mechs. But here, under the shadow of Yori MechWorks, it was the minimum standard.

Suddenly, he felt awkward piloting a 'Mech that, by all accounts, was a factory-assembled FrankenMech: built from the most common components available to the diminished CCAF.

Shapes moved at the base of the clockwork mountain, sending streams of particles or tracer shells at his forces. The Dragons and Grand Dragons didn't benefit from the same level of quality construction; Luthien Armor Works preferred quantity and it showed. And for that, he thanked whatever god the Kuritans prayed to as he responded with his cannons.

The Ceres Arms Smasher PPC hurled smaller streams of particles instead of the Grand Dragons' coherent beam, but it tore through the lead 60-ton 'Mech's front torso all the same. Moments later, a burst from his SarLon MaxiCannon gnawed through the molten spot, blasting apart shards and digging into the skeleton beneath.

Seconds later, his warbook informed him that the Kuritan's Eagle Eye SY10-10 targeting system was no longer firing off the guiding lasers for the missile system. The heat bloomed around the 60-tonner, and it didn't raise its main weapon again, angling away to allow the 'Mechs behind it a clear firing lane.

His tanks were no use in these nightly raids. But his artillery was, and they started falling on the defenders. He had orchestrated these attacks for a week now, forcing them to choose between meeting them in the open and have artillery fall on them or fall back to the safety of the guns.

There weren't enough 'Mechs to defend Yori MechWorks. The irony was not lost on anyone present. So instead of rushing into the teeth of the garrison and the factory's turrets, he isolated a section and pushed against it. Multiple prongs of attack would spread the defenders thin, and one of them would get through and mangle the static defenses.

Three days ago, he personally lead the charge that disabled the plant's remaining artillery pieces and carved out the defenses of the same section he was assaulting now.

"Sir!"

He turned up the commpanel's volume. "This is Powell, go."

"Sir, we have reports of fires inside the facility! The northeast quadrant's melting from the inside!"

He grit his teeth as missiles chewed on the ground around him, making any movement more treacherous. He responded with a wide burst from the MaxiCannon, catching a Panther across its knees, as he threw his 'Mech's advance backwards. The Light 'Mech wobbled but continued on, its steps sure even at a run.

The 35-ton 'Mech responded with a burst from its Lord's Light PPC, leaving his comms in static for several seconds.

"Say again, HQ. Repeat!"

"Hangars open! Hangars open!"

Marshal Powell stopped the 'Mech and set his view on the widening maw of what was an impenetrable wall moments before. It was lit from within in orange. Smoke couldn't disguise their forms.

Atlases.

The two lances emerging from the plant was more than enough to smash his detachment into ruin, and his MechWarriors knew it. They began to withdraw, in good order, even as the Atlas pilots charged at full speed, heedless of the danger. There was no point in diverting fire at them, and his hasty call for artillery support wouldn't blunt that advance.

"More Atlases sortieing all across the perimeter. Estimate---" a crunch of static rendered the rest of the message unintelligble. "I repeat, a battalion of Atlases have sortied from the main Yori MechWorks plant."

Marshal Powell grunted as he turned his Cataphract around and pounded away at full speed. He flicked on the combat command channel.

"Retreat."

Behind him, the Assault 'Mechs pounded forward as smaller vehicles swarmed beneath them. The hovercraft threw up dust as they darted between the 'Mechs, but they soon outdistanced them.

It wasn't enough.

The hulking mass of pipes, mounds of equipment, vats, power generators, and cooling stacks erupted outwards like a volcano cracking its top.

In one sudden clap, the fleeing defenders and workers were swallowed by flame and smoke.

The 1st Crucis Lancers were close enough to be rattled by the explosion, but their 'Mechs reported only the lightest damage.

Marshal George Powell stood staring at the rising mushroom cloud from the facility. An urgent note sounded in his cockpit and seconds later he finally paid attention to it. Drills from his youth as a squire to the Jackson MechWarrior family of New Avalon suddenly animated his bones.

On the external speakers, he shouted "Move! Move! Move!" as his fingers danced on the command consoles.

His 'Mech was already doing most of the work, but it was important to be sure that the air filters and heatsinks wouldn't recycle improperly. He sent the commands via line-of-sight-laser to the 'Mechs around him, urging them to do the same. He knew they were, but it was his duty to make sure.

There was no point in taking chances with nuclear fallout.

« Last Edit: 14 February 2013, 15:41:27 by Marwynn »

afterthought53

• Recruit
« Reply #237 on: 14 February 2013, 15:54:01 »
Holy Shit  :o
The Destruction of Yori MechWorks dwarfs the damage done to the Tharkad factory by an order of magnitude... and it was done by a nuke.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #238 on: 14 February 2013, 19:24:55 »
I think ROM has been busy again.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #239 on: 14 February 2013, 20:16:41 »
ROM's never really idle... but did they do this?

And the Yori facility isn't all of it, I don't think I mentioned that up there. There's an asteroid where the bulk of the parts are made, the factory on the planet was bent towards assembling the parts, making the smaller stuff, and shipping it.

The asteroid's still intact. For now. /cue evil laughter

Register