Author Topic: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)  (Read 99263 times)

Marwynn

• Major
Re: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)
« Reply #300 on: 06 March 2013, 16:56:19 »
Well this 70-tonner uses two AC/5s... so...

Wolflord: Why not both?  :D Kidding, kidding.

Or am I?

============================

Lestrade Palace, Summer
Isle of Skye, Federation of Skye
23 April 3028

Grand Duke Lestrade scoffed.

"Three worlds?" The small man let out a shrill laugh. "Marcus Kurita has only retaken three worlds?"

Hassid Ricol shrugged his shoulders, rolling it as a tiger. "That he managed to retake even one is a miracle. The people of Rasalhague have gone without direct Kuritan control for months since Warlord Sorenson's disappearance--"

"--And neither Coordinator has seen fit to send in a replacement?"

Archduke Ricol hated being interrupted, but he smiled at his 'ally'. "No, they have not."

"What does that mean?"

"It means both Kuritas know they are not in control of the Rasalhague district," Hassid said, knowing that the 'Imp', as he called the grand duke, had already arrived at the same conclusion. "Very few of the Rasalhague Regulars are responding to either's call to pull back," he offered, "and it's unlikely any of those units will be fully trusted."

Aldo Lestrade stood and limped towards his large office's windows. "I never did thank you for telling me that Theodore was taking a dozen worlds from me," the grand duke said, "not the ten I originally offered." The smaller man turned and bowed at the hip towards him, and Ricol fought down a disgusted smirk. "Thank you."

Stiffly, he returned the gesture.

"Glengarry," the grand duke said with a shake of his head. "I have lost all the worlds--either to the Steiners or to you, dear Archduke--north of Glengarry. What do you say to that?"

Ricol smiled inwardly. How like the Imp to try to lower my defenses with unexpected thanks only to attack soon after.

"I would say you are welcome, grand duke," Ricol said with a smile. The Virginia Shire had the deepest ties with the Lyran Commonwealth, economic ties to either the Combine or the Tamar Pact, and the nobles to show it. They were the most untrustworthy of his whole, crumbling endeavour.

The Red Duke stepped forward. "You now have a solid front, pivoting around Glengarry. The Lyrans are free to strike the Combine worlds there, and the DCMS are already planning raids into Tamar."

Truth. The DCMS is always planning to attack, but not necessarily to act.

Lestrade nodded, visualizing the map. "And I have your assurance that the DCMS will begin raiding into Tamar should reinforcements come from Tamar or Rasalhague?"

And break the Tharkad Truce? Ricol thought incredulously. "Of course," he said, bowing.

The grand duke exhaled. "And is there anything you can do about your Marik allies? They gnaw at my worlds like hungry, indecisive children!"

"Those are... unsanctioned attacks, I'm assured."

"Hmph."

Ricol took another step forward. "But the attacks have slowed recently, have they not?"

The imp nodded once at him and Ricol let the grand duke stew under his shadow. The now 'free' Federation of Skye was a third of what it was when it formed. A dozen worlds had simply ignored the then-Duke's proclamation. A handful 'fell' to Lyran regiments, conventional regiments, that rotated in to their new garrison posts.

The league of scheming nobles Lestrade under his sway dwindled as the war progressed. More than half left the moment news of the Tharkad Truce hit, some taking their worlds, some biding their time to betray Lestrade. Ricol admitted he half-expected Lestrade to turn into a mini-Amaris.

He's followed the Usurper's playbook well enough... Ricol judged, thinking of the captains of Lyran industry and commerce Lestrade had cultivated investments from. The only way for those Lyran business paragons could recoup their losses was if Lestrade won somehow.

Ricol couldn't understand what made them think that the Imp had a chance in the first place. He must have another backer...

"Yes."

The word was so unexpected that Ricol almost quirked an eyebrow, but he mastered his surprise.

"Tell the Coordinator my answer is 'yes'."

Archduke Hassid Ricol bowed and stepped backwards, his holographic image fading from the grand duke's office.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2013, 10:24:25 by Marwynn »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #301 on: 07 March 2013, 02:02:57 »
Comparing the Imp to Amaris.
No way he's to short. ;D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #302 on: 07 March 2013, 15:55:20 »
Busan, Tok Do
Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine
24 April 3028

The Coordinator laughed.

Yorinaga was pleased. The sound was not tinged with bitterness as it had beenin the last few weeks. It was a far cry from his cousin's usual exuberant self, but it was a welcome sound.

The dinner was informal; and that meant for Kuritans and Capellans both that they didn't wear as many medals on their uniforms as they otherwise would. He studied their Capellan guests, noting how stiffly they held themselves even as they smiled.

He studied the party, missing the presence of Constance Kurita who had orchestrated this meeting in the first place. But part of her duties were to be seen only when necessary. The various DCMS officers to his right were well-mannered; even the junior ones from the Legions of Vega.

The row of Capellans were not promising prospects for conversations. After the first two days, Yorinaga found no use for them, even in idle chatter.

It was the traitor that held his interest; Justin Allard--now Justin Xiang--a Davion that now served Maximilian Liao made him worth studying. He found it odd that Justin and Theodore had gotten along so well, more than the Coordinator did with Candace Liao.

"... no, no, Coordinator," Justin was saying, "that wasn't added for effect later. Hanse Davion really did have a light positioned to reflect on the plate he was holding." The table laughed again.

"I believe he missed his calling as a street performer..." Justin finished, sipping his wine.

Theodore sighed as he let his laughter end. "I wish I could've seen it myself; a bit too busy being dead at the time..."

Candace leaned in. "How did that happen, exactly? We've only seen the Steiner recordings--everyone has seen them." Yorinaga watched the Capellan heir closely; her light manner concealed much.

"Yes, please tell us, Coordinator," Justin prodded.

The Coordinator nodded and took a sip of his own cup and looked the man in the eye. "A spy," Theodore pronounced. Justin's face stilled, Yorinaga saw, then loosened as the Coordinator spoke on.

"A spy from my father was part of my Command Lance," Theodore admitted, pausing. "Ben Tourneville. He dragged me out of my Orion and fought off a foot patrol. They tore his body apart, but they found a picture I asked him to carry for me." Theodore gulped down the rest of his cup. "It was of me and Tomoe. They assumed I was he."

"So they weren't lying..." Candace whispered.

"No," Yorinaga said, jumping into the conversation to give his cousin time, "they even had me fooled until I was in orbit and had to change my plans!" he said lightly, forcing levity. It was a cultural quirk the two shared, and they all laughed.

He saw Justin nod towards Theodore who grimly nodded back and Yorinaga understood; both had been forced away by their fathers and forged their own paths; both were labelled traitors by their own people, Theodore less so--and succeeded despite it all.

Far too alike, those two...

"The war has taken many away from us," Candace observed as servants came to take away their plates. Yorinaga approved Candace taking charge of the conversation; she wasn't about to toast the fallen which would only sour moods. She turned in her seat more fully to Theodore instead.

"Tell me, Coordinator, what should we do now?"

There was no obsequience in her question, another thing Yorinaga approved of. Candace was being politic; she was the presumptive heir while Theodore was the legitimate ruler of a Great House. He saw that the subtlety was lost on some of the House Warriors sitting on their side of the table while his fellow samurai expected nothing less from a foreign woman but to lean on his directives.

"That depends," Theodore said after a few moments, staring at Justin and Candace alternatingly. "Do you still believe Hanse Davion is done? That he is content with what he's gouged?"

The couple shared a look.

"I did," Justin admitted. "But not after reviewing what you've provided us."

Candace shook her head. "I never believed the Fox would be satisfied with anything but the entirety of the Confederation; boast or no boast, he means to rule us all."

"Then you must give me Pavel Ridzik."

Several fists clenched and a few of the House Warriors made as if to move. Unwise, even to telegraph it. The Otomo plaintively refused to leave less than five of their number present with the Coordinator at any given time since the Capellans arrived.

They wore lacquered armour now, though Yorinaga knew they had wore forearm-lasers and swiftly became experts in their use. All one needed to do was raise a hand and he could easily burn a hole in each of the Capellans sitting down at the table without harming the other guests.

The House Warriors divined danger from the bodyguards' stillness, and their shallow umbrage dissipated.

"Ridzik," Justin began, "commands much of the units' loyalties in Tikonov."

"Precisely."

Candace nodded. "But who would we put in his place?"

Theodore held her gaze for a moment then dragged it to Justin. "Here is a loyal man whom your father trusts. Can you honestly say he will do worse than Ridzik?"

Yorinaga leaned back, sensing the Keeper's touch in the request. He watched the Capellan heir, who showed no surprise, as she edged slightly forward.

"How?"

"Mercenaries," Yorinaga said.

"And DEST," the Coordinator offered. Yorinaga watched as Justin was ignored, sitting back at the realization that his future was being planned out in front of him.

"You have... more mercenaries?" Candace asked.

Theodore only nodded.

"I believe I'll need to send a message to my father," Candace said, rising.

The door to the dining room swung open, one Otomo preceeding a man who wilted under the measuring gazes of the other Otomo already in the room; they took nothing for granted.

The commtech scurried forward under the entire room's gaze.

"Wow, great service..." Justin Xiang joked.

The young man walked towards the head of the table, bent, then whispered to the Coordinator's ear.

Slowly, Theodore nodded, then rose, startling the commtech aside. The Coordinator looked at his Capellan guests one by one and Yorinaga readied himself. What fresh treachery now?

"The Federated Suns has renewed its invasion into the Capellan Confederation," the Coordinator announced. "They have struck at three worlds, attacking the HPGs in an attempt to keep their actions hidden. They failed."

Theodore smiled. "ComStar has Excluded the Federated Suns from the rest of the HPG network."

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #303 on: 07 March 2013, 19:50:02 »
How convenient  ;)

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #304 on: 07 March 2013, 20:29:44 »
I'm just wondering who will put all the dots together.  Will it be Jaime, Uncle Chandy, Theodore or Hanse?  And once the real threat, Comstar, is recognized who's kicking the door in first?
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #305 on: 08 March 2013, 12:27:38 »
Did Comstar ever wonder what would happen if they cut someone off from the HPG network... and then said power had infantry storm every HPG in their territory, have spies and covert operatives attack and attempt to destroy HPGs in every other realm and have their troops hit the HPGs of every border system they could?

IE: The "If I can't have HPGs, you aren't having them either."
« Last Edit: 08 March 2013, 12:35:46 by VhenRa »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #306 on: 08 March 2013, 12:53:10 »
I'd presume they'd have a plan for it but not have practiced for it. It'd be a mixture of their paranoia and superiority: "We have to protect our technology even though no one would dare attack us!"

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #307 on: 08 March 2013, 14:19:38 »
Yup, I'm sure there is a ROM operative or team ready to destroy the HPG in order to save it.   ComStar has to have learned form Apotheosis.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #308 on: 08 March 2013, 16:19:19 »
Borsan city, Bergen continent, Hun Ho
Oshika Prefecture, Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine
26 April 3029

"It was a simple question," he confessed to the rest of his commanders. "Is it my fault that he's prickly?"

The commband broke into general laughter. Brigham Rutledge had led his 17th Galedon Regulars to hell, more hell, and back to hell again since Warlord Samsonov had been replaced. And he had been glad to do it.

It had taken a toll on his unit, mostly morale fraying at the edges at the demands of Kester Hsiun Chi's mobile campaigns in the Draconis March. It was the hectic retaking of the Galedon worlds Duke Sandoval had grabbed, instead of meeting them head-on, that inflicted the heaviest damage on the unit. That, and hitting the retaken Davion worlds again. He had forgotten just who owned which planet now, and wanted nothing more than to rest his unit.

The Warlord had agreed and rotated them to Hun Ho; a tropical paradise of a world, if you ignore the dangerous fauna. It had given him and his staff the opportunity to rebuild his regiment from the purely Light 'Mech force into something a bit better rounded than the average DCMS regiment; a combination of battlefield salvage and new production from the LexaTech plants on-world.

"Sho-sho?" asked his newest battalion commander, Sho-sa Martha Shannon, "Is this really happening?"

Brigham inhaled before answering, breathing in the scent of warm electronics, sweat, and the fresh filters in his air scrubbers. "Hai."

The commband diminished as his senior officers begged off, focusing on their individual responsibilities as he kept an ear out. His new Orion had been refitted by the LexaTech engineers as a gift; they assured him it was the variant Coordinator Theodore Kurita himself preferred.

A lot of good a PPC is going to do me in the jungle, Rutledge thought. I should've kept the autocannon, damn the ammo...

The 75-ton 'Mech came from the Free Worlds League; it had been waiting for him when his regiment arrived weeks ago and he had spent the journey pouring over the ON1-K's technical manual. He stood it on a small outcropping of rock that jutted out from the jungle surrounding the city, flicking through magnetic anomaly detection and electronic signature scans. So far, all he'd manage to get were differently-tinted tropical vistas.

The waves lazily slapped the shores just to his side. Somewhere out there, in the thick of the jungle, his foes were hunting.

A Thunderbolt to his right raised its arm, its pilot tight-beaming him the trajectory and opened a commlink. "Sho-sho, infantry reports a company approaching from this direction; nothing heavier than 35-tons."

"Very well, chu-i. Check on our support," Rutledge commanded, leaving the man to double-check the tanks and other infantry waiting in ambush. He chose Chu-i Daniel Sakamoto to be his 'bodyguard' but had come to rely on him for the man's impeccable attention to detail. Now, he acted as a filter, and it was a necessity once the 17th Galedons embraced the use of combined-arms.

He knew that his unit's TO&E had yet to be officially updated; they'd be listed as a standard Light DCMS regiment. At best, they were expected to have two companies of Dragons and Quickdraws, some infantry, no armour, and little aerospace. He had done his best in maintaining that illusion.

Something signalled at the back of his mind and Brigham spared a moment to focus on it, ignoring the text reports flashing through his HUD.

Lightning--Lightning Companies. The Lyran adaptation of Light 'Mechs for headhunting and other light cavalry roles. Brigham shook his head. He didn't know why he came up with this ruse, baiting his foe with a 'hidden' command post. It had worked well against the AFFS who initially weren't used to Kuritans using vehicles or infantry properly.

He made a mental note to examine his thinking later; it wasn't proper to enact a plan without knowing his reasons why he chose that plan. One fight at time, he thought, holding back berating himself. I've been fighting too long, reacting...

The trees shivered.

Sulking monsters registered on the MAD pickups, and Sho-sho Rutledge fired on instinct. The Lord's Light PPC hurled particles towards the closest shadow, bursting trees and hanging leaves in its path into ash and steam.

It struck the white-and-grey Panther dead centre, simultaneously gouging out and exploding armour, stopping the Light 'Mech's advance.

First blood is mine, Brigham thought, and with it, the responsibility for this entire mess. He triggered his long-range missiles just as the solid tone sounded, exploding off more armour across its entire body. The pilot, stunned or on poor ground, crashed backwards as its comrades surged forward.

Sho-sho Rutledge pulled his Orion into reverse, allowing the return fire to splash across the limited cover as he retreated. His command lance waited a few moments, ensuring good cold-locks, then fired, ripping apart a 'Mech each in their opening salvo. Two Jenners and a salvaged Valkyrie crumbled under the Heavy 'Mechs' fire.

Then it was the tanks. Running with internal combustion engines, hidden by the jungle, the Light 'Mechs were well within their cruder weapons' engagement range when first blood was drawn. Two SRM Carriers downed a Panther each, leaving very little of the foamed-aluminum skeletons to crash on the ground.

Sho-sho Rutledge swung his Orion around the outcropping and pierced a leaping Spider with twin azure beams before slamming four short-range missiles into its wobbling form mid-air.

He saw the unit's emblem on the Spider's chest, a dragon encircling a planet, burn at the touch of his laser. It landed in front of him and he walked his 75-ton 'Mech calmly forward and snapped it out and ripping the SDR-5V's left leg off. The 4th Pesht Regulars 'Mech vibrated at the force of the hit, slamming down with a heavy crunch on the soft jungle floor.

Brigham stared at the limb; half of House Kurita's crest was still painted on it, shorn in two by his kick.

The Light 'Mech powered down as the remnants of his company fell to infantry SRMs.

Sho-sho Brigham Rutledge shook his head, stepped the Orion forward and crushed the Spider's head under his 'Mech's heel.

« Last Edit: 08 March 2013, 16:25:08 by Marwynn »

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #309 on: 08 March 2013, 20:54:27 »
Wiping out HPG's would really destroy Comstar's financial viability, and reason for existence.
Nice plan. >:D
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #310 on: 11 March 2013, 11:03:04 »
120 km West of Borsan city, Bergen continent, Hun Ho
Oshika Prefecture, Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine
26 April 3029

Vladimir Krect sputtered.

"YES! I am sure 'I have the right planet', traitor!" he yelled into his neurohelmet, slamming a fist into his commpanel to close the link.

He fumed silently, waiting for a response from his analysts. They didn't disappoint, not with his XO and several ISF agents watching over their shoulders. In less than a minute, the command post of the 17th Galedon Regulars--another Light Cavalry Regiment--had been triangulated. Apparently, they still used standard DCMS encryption.

He couldn't fault them that; who would expect a brother DCMS regiment to attack?

Third battalion's second company was close and he tapped out his commands to be sent, securely, through his still-orbiting Overlord-class command ship. He had the advantage over the entirety of the 17th Galedon's main force in mobility and mass, and Vladimir knew just how to use it, even in the jungles of Hun Ho.

Warlord Cherenkoff will be pleased... he'll finally have a military victory to give to the Coordinator, Vladimir thought, smiling at the potential rewards. Not only could he increase in military rank, there have been recent vacancies amongst the nobles in Pesht.

The thought of a noble title was enough to motivate him to suffer the world's humidity. Not even his 'Mech's scrubbers could fully filter out the jungle's dank air, and his 'Mech was having difficulty transferring heat into the moist air.

His Quickdraw vibrated as he began stomping forwards again, the rest of his command company followed closely. It was an extravagance that he wielded a full company to protect him, a company of his heaviest 'Mechs at that. But his 4th Pesht were well-drilled and the lighter 'Mechs could and did pin down forces that his command company could take advantage of, and he preferred being in the thick of the fight.

Sho-sho Krect tuned into his company's commband, a smile growing on his face as he heard his men boasting. They had none of the reluctance he feared would surface when they engaged another DCMS regiment; but the 17th Galedon Regulars were hardly their brothers anymore.

Not since they chose to follow the rebellious Warlords who had propped up a fake Theodore.

The valley was nothing more than a cleft in the ground, wide enough for four 'Mechs to keep a standard formation across. After stomping through the jungle, and on its indigenous inhabitants, the sight of clear open space was enticing.

He ordered a short rest, to cool off the pilots and their 'Mechs. The valley could offer some cooling possibilities, from what he could see. There were 'Mech-ankle-deep puddles of water that could still absorb waste heat.

Vladimir shook his head, cautious of just how much sweat he was shaking off with the motion. He turned up the feeds from his scouts, focusing on their reports to keep his mind from the stifling, clinging warmth.

"Take the sides," he ordered calmly, keeping a hold on to discipline. The clear ground would have allowed them to advance faster, but would have trapped them if ambushed; no matter how unlikely that was.

The skies rumbled, and he looked up suddenly only to glance at falling rain. His 'warriors sighed in relief, the rain would carry away heat no matter how humid the air was. They moved on, enjoying the now slower trod through the jungle north to their waypoint.

Vladimir was still listening in on his scouts' reports when the first artillery strikes fell.

A Grand Dragon, navigating a small, rushing stream expanded outwards in a ball of flaming metal as the heavy shell struck the 'Mech full on, penetrated, and exploded inside. Another smashed down a Griffin, ripping its right arm free as it fell on an angle. Smaller explosions rocked his company, already hemmed in by jungle at nearly every angle.

Some jumped into the valley to escape, allowing them to move swiftly enough to escape the rolling barrage. The shells were still falling when Sho-sho Krect's targeting system warned him of enemy contacts. His HUD painted the targets and instinctively he raised his Quickdraw's chest upwards to give his missiles the greatest chance of striking the incoming fighters.

Only, the fighters flew right past them, zooming away as they came overhead. His Dynatec 2180 couldn't even give him a partial lock.

He zoomed in, seeing the fighters eject fuel canisters as they soared upwards. The Dynatec ticked several canisters red. It took him seconds to realize what he was looking at.

"Scatter!" he yelled into the commband just as the bombs broke apart in mid-air. His company's overheated 'Mechs were slow to respond, the ones in the valley now dealing with sucking mud with every step.

Still angled up, Vladimir saw the spray of opaque gel mix in with the rain drops slowly turn orange.

The Quickdraw disobeyed him. The myomer bundles were not responding properly under the sudden heat and he fought to stay conscious as the blanket of fire engulfed his 'Mech and the surrounding area. The 60-ton 'Mech crashed down, jarring his head against the restraints.

He tasted blood. Somehow, he fell on his back, smothering the gel that clung there. The orange rain fell on his canopy as his fusion engine shut down.

They set fire to the rain...

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #311 on: 11 March 2013, 15:45:48 »
Imperial Institute of Technology, Pauchang, Xinyang
26 April 3029

Kowalski sighed as he read his name on his new office door. Somehow, he had become 'Senior Chief Researcher' even though he was fairly sure there weren't even any Chief Researchers yet.

Unless my staff decided to promote themselves--wouldn't put it past them, actually, he grumbled mentally as he juggled the noteputers, optichips, and scathing-hot tea to open the door. His old office, close to the labs, was too useful real estate to be used by an administrator.

He saw the pragmatism of breaking down the walls to expand a smaller lab, but it stung that he was no longer considered 'one of the boys'. A whole life dedicated to making 'Mechs work and the fortune of being assigned to the 11th Legion of Vega had landed him this job, and while he tried to focus on 'Mech improvements for Theodore Kurita's sake, he found that he spent more time absorbing the scientific and engineering textbooks.

And, Buddha help him, economics texts.

It's been a year, he realized suddenly as he saw the date blink repeatedly on his state of the art desk; it had an embedded terminal onto the touch-controlled surface, even a holoprojector that could allow him to manipulate schematics in realspace. One by one, he plugged in the optichips into the numerous slots and called up his work for today.

There was a light knock on his door and a woman stepped in, her own hot tea in her hand and a carefully balanced set of optichips and pads.

He smiled up at his blonde assistant. At least she makes for a more efficient assistant than Ninyu-kun was supposed to be, even if she is a little... absent? Kowalski shoved the thought from his mind, he had a lot of backed-up datawork since his trip to Nirasaki and her attention to detail made the catching-up process a breeze.

He tried not to watch her walk towards his desk, but he noticed something in her body language.

She's a MechWarrior. How odd. Didn't notice that till now...

"Ohayo, Marie!" he said cheerfully. "Any word from the deckers?" he asked, using the nickname the data technicians had appropriated for themselves.

Delving into the Helm core was difficult work, and he had to assemble a special set of people to find the data they needed; index or no index. He had no idea where their nickname came from, or if he did he couldn't think of it at that moment.

"Oh-hi-you," Marie said with a smile.

That was their little ritual; the woman had horrible japanese, which was understandable for a low-class worker that Marie obviously was. He had no idea how Ninyu-kun found her, only that the two knew each other from somewhere else.

A lowborn MechWarrior... Yakuza?

It didn't matter to him, and she continued. "The deckers send their regards, as always, and said something about 'frames' which I didn't fully understand. In any case, they've finished fragmenting the data which is somehow supposed to speed up searching even more," Marie said as she sat down, arranging her own set of optichips neatly on her edge of the desk.

"Hmph, well make sure to send them my 'regards' as well and remind them about their animated avatars having to conform to the Order of Five Pillars' standards, hmm?"

Marie's smile strained a bit at the mention of the O5P, but laughed lightly back. The deckers had done a magnificent job in un-collapsing the Helm Core's contents; it could now be traversed virtually with any holoprojector in the Institute. It meant that researchers who normally wouldn't come into contact with each other were able to converse, also virtually, even though their areas of research were only intertwined by the slimmest of threads.

Accessing the Core left a datatrail unique to each researcher, and the protocols required the use of an avatar to maintain secrecy.

And that meant the users wanted personalized avatars which the deckers were more than willing to furnish; at a price. Some were just odd, but a few were more than risque and earned Kowalski a few visits from O5P Adepts who frowned at him continuously.

More and more, he was finding that collaboration was the key in unlocking the Helm Core's secrets; that a holistic approach was the most effective, rather than specialization.

If only the samurai would listen...

"The harvest on several worlds have improved, according to our calculations, but the prices haven't come down. On some planets, it actually went up," Marie was saying.

"Talk to the--"

"--I spoke with the economists," she continued saying and he nodded, "and they said it's simply due to the high demand. Especially with the displaced populations following the Federats' invasions."

"Wonderful. And there's nothing we can do?"

"No, the information is already out there and the farmers are taking advantage of it. But we won't see as big an impact as we'd hoped, not with transportation still being harassed."

"Harassed? What a nice name for piracy," Kowalski said. "And on that note..." he lead.

Marie tapped on the desk and activated her first optichip. "At Theo--the Coordinator's suggestion, we have begun dealing directly with the various aerospace manufacturers instead of going through the Procurement Department." Marie tilted her head. "There's been some luck there."

Kowalski perked up at the news. He had been too busy with his own pet projects to keep track of all the communications. His enthusiasm drew another smile from his assistant.

"Dharma Hyperspace, on Schuyler, has been making Scout-class JumpShips since..." she paused to scan through the file that was projecting above the desk, "well, for a long time. With some technical assistance, and some breathing room between them and the Draconis Combine Admiralty, they could expand to a second slip by the end of the year."

Kowalski nodded; the Scout-class was the smallest JumpShip the Inner Sphere could still make and was useful for both exploration for its light maintenance requirements, and recon since its jump signature was harder to detect.

I hope we can keep the DCA off their backs long enough. Why can't they see they're running the economy ragged? The thought brought him up short. Help me, I'm turning into one of them...

"Wonderful," he said instead, sipping his too-hot tea. "What did Dharma say about our training program?"

"They're all for it, provided..."

"Provided they get first pick at the interns we send them. Fine, but impose a limit. We want to spread around the knowledge after all, not make them more profit. Also, we want to rotate--"

"Trainees, yes. Hands-on experience. They've agreed to that," Marie nodded and added a note to her files. "Stellar Trek, on Chatham, is also on-board with your proposal," she continued.

When he showed no signs of remembering, Marie shook her head. "The Monolith-class JumpShips?"

The Senior Chief Research shrugged and sipped his tea.

"Stellar Trek has been unable to solve most of the Monolith's production problems; the parts are plentiful, but from scattered factories, and assembly is over-complicated... So, you suggested consolidating their supply chain for them."

"I did?" Kowalski asked. "I did!" he said, finally remembering. "Did they choose a system?"

Marie nodded. "As much as consolidating everything on Togura appealed to their heritage, they agreed that Aix-la-Chapelle would be perfect. Diplan 'MechYards has already established plenty of heavy industries, plus I believe your aim was to give our planetary engineers a project of their own?"

"They need something to do other than designing new air filters for Kessel," Kowalski murmured.

Aix-la-Chapelle was very much like the proverbial dragon's lair; it had all the wealth they needed hidden in a very dangerous place. They couldn't grow their own food, not even orbitally. Togura, on the other hand, had been mined out of all its easily accessible ores; it had been cheaper to relocate factories to far-off worlds that could make specialized parts from local resources. But that left them too vulnerable to shipping woes and its rising costs over the centuries.

A consolidated parts factory with a dedicated shipping line of parts from Aix-la-Chapelle to Chatham, with food shipped in from nearby Kilmarnock--one of the farming worlds that were producing a surplus--back to Aix-la-Chapelle would provide transportation relief across three districts.

And, Kowalski hoped, speed up Monolith construction times even if the astronomical costs remained mostly the same.

"It would be good to test them, give them a challenge. I suspect living in hazardous environments will become a booming industry," he added quietly.

His assistant chastised him with a look. "We also promised to upgrade the system's recharge stations on a loan that we'll repay from a cut of the fees," she went on, scrolling through the details, "but they want first pick at our graduating class. At least those involved in JumpShips somehow," Marie quickly added.

"Wonderful," he said genuinely. "We'll have all of this ready in what? Five years?"

"If we start right now--"

The emergency sirens began wailing in the distance. Kowalski shot straight out of his desk to his now decent view of Pauchang.

It was in flames.

An explosion, closer to the Institute's grounds but still far away, rattled the city. He knew that area. The 2nd Legion of Vega use that for their infantry-- Another blast interrupted his thoughts, farther off but much larger. It was a 'Mech hangar he had ordered built for the garrison's patrols.

My students are supposed to be there now, getting hands-on experience... Another blast drowned that neighbourhood in smoke.

He looked to Marie who was already on her comms, speaking frantically in broken japanese. His desk was shorting out; he spilt his tea on his high-tech desk.

Slowly, Kowalski turned back to his window.

The Imperial Institute of Technology had been the target of spies, saboteurs, and more spies since the Helm Core's recovery. Its defenses were the highest the ISF (and the O5P) could provide, and the walls around the compound rose as the windows shuttered close by armoured curtains.

Turrets rose from the gardens and greens of the grounds, each with an independent ammo supply or power source. A few sported the prototype anti-missile systems the weaponeers had manage to cobble together. They had horrible accuracy, but could shoot down some missiles.

"Federats?" Marie asked, almost calmly. Almost hopefully.

"I don't--" he began to say then stopped as black-clad foot soldiers spewed from various holes in the wall. "Well, there goes the ISF!" he said, somewhat relieved.

"Never thought I'd be happy they'd be around," he said to calm his assistant.

She smiled weakly and walked beside him to the office's windows. "We should probably move away--"

The black-clad soldiers opened fire.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2013, 09:06:59 by Marwynn »

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #312 on: 11 March 2013, 15:53:12 »
Deckers! ROFL  O0

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #313 on: 11 March 2013, 22:35:29 »
Dharma.......Hyperspace?  Not so sure I'd like to use their jumpships.  ;)  God only knows where you'd end up, maybe not even him!  :)
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #314 on: 12 March 2013, 00:54:54 »
It looks like research into the Helm core has been slowed down.
I wonder who would do that.
Growing up is optional.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #315 on: 12 March 2013, 10:34:53 »
Sorry about the slower updates, fellas.

I had a lot of this written out but as I edit them for posting, I've made some changes that ripple through. I've tossed out an entire Book's worth of stuff, invalidated by the changes. Of course, most are just plot points "Dechan gets involved in a love triangle" sorta thing.

I've edited the previous post. We'll have a few more Dragon Civil War stuff then... the 'main story'.

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #316 on: 12 March 2013, 15:04:18 »
Sorry about the slower updates, fellas.

I had a lot of this written out but as I edit them for posting, I've made some changes that ripple through. I've tossed out an entire Book's worth of stuff, invalidated by the changes. Of course, most are just plot points "Dechan gets involved in a love triangle" sorta thing.

I've edited the previous post. We'll have a few more Dragon Civil War stuff then... the 'main story'.

Good, I'm all for less kissing and more killing.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #317 on: 13 March 2013, 12:50:29 »
Ajax_Wolf, in that case...

=================================

The Jade Palace, Pauchang, Xinyang
26 April 3029

Tai-sho Michael Heise rolled off the bed when he heard the explosion. His bedmates didn't stir, still too tired from the previous night; he let them be as he scrambled to piece together his uniform.

More explosions rocked the city, but an experienced ear told him the detonations were farther away. No point in aggravating the 'resting' soldiers, Michael surmised. Or the ukiyo owners. They have to live here after this is done.

It surprised him that he felt no surprise at all. The last few months had been like waiting for a blade to fall; it was a soldier's lot to wait, he'd learned, but he wasn't a simple soldier anymore.

Finally, he managed to pull on his scruffed plasteel boots, stomping down on the floor to fit them in place before securing them. He managed to wake the occupants of his rented bed, who glanced at him warily.

"I've paid."

They smiled back and wished him all the luck as they drifted back to sleep. Michael forgot about them as he walked out the room, checking the charge in his laspistol.

He lost his slug-thrower on Vega and had managed to secure a blazer pistol to replace it; the dual-barreled handgun could fire both at the same time, pouring more damage on the same target in a quick blast--as long as he had the power.

Somehow, he inspired the rest of his 2nd Legion of Vega to adopt the blazer pistols. It was probably the only standard weapon his Legionnaires used.

Sho-sho Gavriel Maldonado, battalion commander for the 3rd Benjamin Regulars, lucky at mahjong, stumbled out of the room beside his. Half-dressed, half-smiling, he moved to wave at Michael.

His head disappeared as two concentrated beams of light burned through. Heise cursed, fumbling in his pockets before finding a pair of combat goggles and placing them on his head, blinking away the beams' afterimages.

Two more officers, whose names he couldn't remember, stumbled out. He speared each with a single shot as soon as their doors were closed.

One had, conveniently, been carrying a bandolier of power packs and Heise quickly strapped it on.

Heise calmly shot down three lesser officers who had stumbled across his path, replacing the power pack without breaking stride.

Another explosion, closer--one of his Legion's guard posts he imagined, hurled debris and smoke across the street as he made his way to his vehicle. One of the Palace's servers, an unremarkable young woman, entered the vehicle as well.

His years commanding the 2nd Legion of Vega had given him plenty of contact with the ISF. The last thing he wanted was to be placed on Xinyang, protecting academics, while the Davions rampaged across the Combine.

Xinyang was a restful world; with a large supply of clean water made it useful as a stopping point. The DCMS had long used it to rotate battalions off the frontlines, especially ones that had seen heavy combat, to recuperate in Xinyang's hospitals.

That meant a heavy ISF presence. Xinyang was where frontline units were debriefed, to piece together the enemy's strategy or misinterpret it totally, as was Heise's experience. It also allowed for ISF agents to be inserted into damaged units as replacements.

At any given moment, there were two regiments' worth of 'Mechs and their 'warriors stationed here. Plus the garrison; since the new year, that had been the 2nd Legion of Vega's duty.

But Theodore Kurita ordered and he obeyed. The Coordinator said he needed someone he could trust and Michael agreed.

Heise blew out a breath, drawing the eye of his ISF passenger. He started his armoured car and drove off without a word.

The Heir-Designate, and now the Coordinator... nothing but a spoiled noble, Heise groused, dredging up old, buried complaints. It was part of the reason why he reached out to his old ISF contacts, agents that had rotated in and out of the Legions under his command.

Very few were enamoured with Theodore Kurita's antics, fewer still wanted anything to do with him thanks to the Legions' improved reputation by association.

But some listened. And he listened in turn.

The woman busied herself on a noteputer, a Blue Lotus, Heise observed. She paid him little attention while he drove, and he was trying hard not to run over a random panicked citizen or hit the scattered debris on the streets.

He swerved to avoid a young man bleeding in the street, slowing down enough to toss him a small field-medpack.

His passenger gazed at him curiously and Heise ignored her.

No need for someone to bleed out because of this. Why don't the people in charge get that? Kill those that need to be killed.

Heise pulled in to the reinforced 'Mech garage that served as one of his patrols' posts. Inside, a lance of 'Mechs waited silently.

He left the car running, allowing the ISF agent/operative/spy, he didn't know what to call her, to take the wheel. She handed him an optichip pulled from her noteputer and Heise shoved it into the cooling vest waiting for him. He stripped down, quickly, then clambered up his new 'Mech.

The Marauder was a mainstay of the modern battlefield, and somehow the mercenary Wolf's Dragoons had managed to uprate the chassis to Assault specifications. The Marauder II he had spent the last months familiarizing himself with was a prototype, one model among many that had been distributed to gather feedback.

I'll be sure to forward my report to the Dragoons... he thought coldly.

Its massive, armoured form suited his preferred style; the rapid cavalry tactics were for those who couldn't take a hit. Standing your ground, meting out fire as you absorbed it yourself, that was where 'warriors were needed.

The fusion engine had already been activated, but safeguards banked most of its power. The maintenance mode meant he only had to wait several minutes for a proper start-up instead of the ten or fifteen a cold-start would have required.

He slid into the Marauder II's command couch, securing himself against the new synthleather seat and lowering the lightweight neurohelm to his cooling vest's padded shoulders.

He inserted his personal key, a memory chip containing his presets and behaviour for the onboard computers to pattern themselves against. It soon asked him for verification.

"Pax Draconis," he muttered as he felt the 100-ton 'Mech come to life through his plasteel boots.

In moments, the garage's heavy hangar doors slid open and Tai-sho Michael Heise was ready to lead the 2nd Legion of Vega to defeat.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2013, 12:54:07 by Marwynn »

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #318 on: 13 March 2013, 15:27:52 »
Snakes killing Snakes, about time the love fest came to an end  O0 Seems like the Kurita's even  want to steal the FWL's title for infighting.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #319 on: 14 March 2013, 01:19:09 »
Now that's an idea. A FWL version of the DC. :D
Growing up is optional.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #320 on: 14 March 2013, 10:31:31 »
Pauchang, Xinyang
26 April 3029

The hideous 'Mech stepped onto the street again, cannons in its torsos blazing rapidly. Almost casually, it raised its left arm and burned a hole in his 'Mech's chest, and he let the wound fill with molten armour as his crosshairs turned gold.

Sho-sho Jonathan Pershing snapped forward his Charger's left arm, returning fire with the Lord's Light PPC. The backpedalling Heavy 'Mech, his warbook pegged it as a Chokuto CKT-01, took the hit just under the bubble-canopy of the cockpit. Forks of energy still played on the 'Mech as he triggered two of his medium lasers to scorch the retreating 'Mech.

They both had hit with all of their attacks, but he had come out slightly on top. The range was too long for accurate medium laser hits, but short enough to make using his twin long-range missile racks pointless.

He backed off as well, allowing the rest of his command lance to advance and force out the Legionnaire. Jonathan put the thought of the ugly 'Mech out of his mind as he focused on the latest reports from his commanders. His 9th Rasalhague Regulars were trained in urban war; in fact, they excelled at it. He had the utmost confidence of success; the 2nd Legion of Vega commander had allowed nearly five of his companies to be torn apart piecemeal at the cost of less than two of his.

How long have I dreamed of fighting the DCMS? he laughed bitterly to himself. Now, I kill DCMS at the command of the Coordinator...

Sho-sho Pershing rarely entertained such thoughts, especially in the field. The Rasalhague Regulars were riddled with ISF; it was only the patronage of then-Warlord Marcus Kurita that allowed a few Rasalhaguians, loyal ones, to remain in positions of power. Loyal to Rasalhague first, and Marcus second.

He stamped the CGR-1K forward again, following his bodyguards forward and walked pass the wreck of the Chokuto. A well-placed fist had punched through the canopy completely, killing the brave pilot inside.

Jonathan was impressed; he'd heard that the Legionnaires were nothing but the dregs of the DCMS, that they'd break as soon as they were hit.

Instead, despite the bombs, the sneak attacks, and their horrible orders, the Legionnaires had fought bitterly. Night was falling fast, and the 2nd Legion of Vega had the advantage of knowing the city better than his 9th Rasalhague did. He would have to retreat till morning, and retake all the gains his regiment had made tonight.

They even have newer equipment than we do, he observed. Even if it is a FrankenMech... He typed a command to retrieve the 'Mech quickly for testing; they'd encounter more of Theodore Kurita's foreign 'Mechs soon enough.

He'd heard rumours that the Warlords of Dieron, Benjamin, and Galedon were conspiring; that the real Theodore was dead and a double, a security decoy, had been planted in his place. It was a logical assumption; there was just too long a gap between Theodore's death and his return.

Not that Jonathan cared. He had to pretend to, for the sake of the other regimental commanders loyal to Marcus, but whether he was the real Theodore or not, he would die. Or Marcus would die. But that would leave Rasalhague under the command of a Kurita that didn't care about its people.

What kind of man allows his betrothed to be executed? Jonathan sneered. That was what made him hate Theodore, and Takashi, all the more. The callousness.

A horrendous roar blanked out his thoughts as the Charger before him vibrated. It crashed to the ground, armour still exploding outwards, as two Hetzers swerved into an intersection. He moved to follow them, stepping over his lancemate and walked right into another pair of Hetzers following the first pair.

Militia, Jonathan estimated, as he triggered all five of his medium lasers and melted through the lead Hetzer's front armour. The ammunition exploded, shoving its partner tank to its side as its death cracked the concrete and shattered storefronts.

A third Charger followed behind him, spewing missiles from its chest at each of the first pair of wheeled tanks. The militia drivers had plenty of courage but little experience; the street they chose was long, with little hope of cover. A fourth Charger, the last of his lance, speared the tank on its side with a rushing stream of particles. It died slowly, cooking its trapped crew as the shells lit up one by one.

The last Charger dragged itself to its feet, the armour on its torso utterly shredded in many places. Wordlessly, another took point and they proceeded to their objective. Privately, he checked in on Chu-i Walters; he was Rasalhaguian and one of the many he had nurtured throughout their careers.

"Just a little banged up, sho-sho. I will be fine, domo," the young man said between shallow breaths.

Jonathan nodded knowingly. Pride was effective armour; he had learned that with the DCMS. "Good," he replied. "Stay behind me and watch my six."

"Hai!" the chu-i acknowledged, his ego somewhat healed by being entrusted to guard his commanding officer. Jonathan just wanted to keep a close eye on the young 'warrior who whispered in wonder about the Tyr.

They stomped through abandoned streets for minutes, passing checkpoints and hastily set-up repair bays. He chose to delay and allow field techs to strap on armour patches on Chu-i Walter's Charger.

At least it'd stop the first shots from hitting his vitals, Sho-sho Pershing mused as he rifled through the latest reports. Finding nothing worth his attention, he brought up a map of Pauchang as his lance meandered their way to their waypoint.
Xinyang was home to one of the largest ISF presences outside New Samarkand, or Rasalhague. Pauchang city was home to numerous 'Mech garages and spare parts factories, unlike the capital Nanyang which functioned as a trade and admin hub. One of the largest military hospitals in the Inner Sphere was only a few kilometres from the spaceport they landed in.

But recently, Pauchang was home to another remarkable landmark. The Imperial Institute of Technology had a massive campus; it dominated the city's ancient downtown district once, and was even larger underneath. Most of it was still under renovation, but Sho-sho Pershing was still awed.

He checked in on the two other lances shadowing his movements, screening them from rear attacks as he relied on his scouts to screen his advance. He walked his Assault 'Mech right to the torn gates of the Institute, past blackened turrets and fallen men and machines.

Theodore--at least the real one--knew what he was doing, Jonathan thought, nodding as he tied into the local comms. The buildings weathered direct 'Mech-grade fire, though only in the rebuilt areas. The rest smouldered.

A pack of Legionnaires, who somehow couldn't command the cohesiveness a DCMS unit should display instinctively, rose from behind tattered buildings. His console warned him of several hostile target locks; he had disabled the strident warning that there was a strong possibility of friendly fire long ago, a detail he had overlooked preparing for the attack.

This was the largest group of the 2nd Legion of Vega that still remained. Sho-sho Pershing sighed. Those men deserved a better commander.

He flicked on his mic. "I am Sho-sho Jonathan Pershing of the 9th Rasalhague Regulars! Who is in command here?" he said in his most mocking Kuritan samurai impression.

No one ever gets the joke...

"I am!" a voice answered, just as full of false bravado. "Tai-sho Michael Heise of the 2nd Legion of Vega!" There was a dramatic pause as a Marauder II strode forward. "This is where we shout about our accomplishments, I think."

"True," Jonathan said, stepping forward. "But neither of us are really samurai, are we?"

Eight flights of missiles streaked towards the exposed Marauder II, smashing pristine armour in thudding waves. The Legionnaires fired back at him, well out of range, even as he moved to close with the 100-ton 'Mech. Jonathan trusted his command lance to screen him as he dealt with the traitorous commander personally. The rushing Legionnaires soon felt the sting of his encroaching flanking lances. In moments they were too busy to bother with him.

Wobbling, the Marauder II rose to meet him. Tai-sho Heise had wisely used one arm to shield the cockpit from the missiles, leaving the left arm mangled. The head section wasn't left untouched, his systems reported that the tai-sho's comms were down thanks to the missile salvo.

Calmly, his warbook began warning him of an irregularity with the MAD-4A. He ignored it, choosing to ripple-fire his medium lasers across the 100-ton 'Mech's blasted body. The Marauder II responded in kind, firing four yellow beams against his five azure ones. Armour evaporated in puffs as the lasers dispersed their fire across wide areas.

The turret above the 100-ton 'Mech swiveled at him; then the Marauder II's autocannon growled.

The Marauder II MAD-4A introduced by the Wolf's Dragoons almost twenty years ago was an all-energy model. The Marauder II Jonathan faced was not. The storm of heavy autocannon shells punched through the Charger's centre torso, gouging out the plates weakened by an earlier hit from a large laser.

The shells burrowed relentlessly, puncturing and smashing through Charger's fusion engine shielding. Cold air met fusion-hot plasma.

The Charger did not disintegrate in a ball of expanding, white-hot plasma. It merely came apart at extremely high velocity as the air expanded outwards severely.

Sho-sho Jonathan Pershing's body was never found.

« Last Edit: 14 March 2013, 10:35:07 by Marwynn »

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #321 on: 14 March 2013, 12:44:48 »
Can I have some more, PLEASE, sir?  O0
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #322 on: 15 March 2013, 02:41:19 »
At least he knows now about the difference between Marauders.
Will not help him much. O0
Growing up is optional.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #323 on: 15 March 2013, 13:46:12 »
Imperial Institute of Technology, Xinyang
27 April 3029

"Is it just me, or does that Marauder II look like it has ears?"

"Those missile launchers?"

"Yeah. Did those come from a
Catapult?"

"A Marauder and a Catapult? That'd make it a MAD-CPLT?"

"A
Cat-rauder?"

"How about--"

"How about you both shut up?" Marie asked, exhausted. "Keep an eye on the perimeter, not the Legionnaires," she told the two techs who had watch duty.

Despite not having any rank other than the Senior Chief Researcher's assistant, the two furiously whispered "Hai!" and left the comms open. Just in time, as the perimeter she established started their regular reports.

Her boss smiled at her appreciatively, his one remaining eye twinkling with amusement at how she was able to boss around everyone, even the soldiers. Everyone but a tai-sa from the 2nd Legion of Vega had caved to her rational insistences, and even that officer compromised with her.

She had kept them all supplied and safe.

It's more than I owe Ralph--

"--Ninyu!" she breathed out, correcting herself.

Kowalski looked at her with a knowing smile. "Miss the gloomy redhead, huh? Yeah we could use his help here, but you're doing great for us!" he said, raising a cup. "Plus, you make better tea!" he said, taking a slow sip.

She smiled back, trying not to be insulted, and more than a little angry for the slip. They had been under siege for only a day and she was rattled.

Marie, as she thought of herself now, lived a careful, quiet life that began only several months ago. One day, she was wilting under the ISF interrogators' questioning, the next, she was walking outside in civilian clothes with the man she once thought she could love.

Only he turned out to be an ISF agent. Way to pick 'em, M--Marie!" she exhaled again, furious at the mental slip and channeling it towards Ninyu Kerai. I wanna shoot him in the head and hold him and hit him then kiss him and...

Marie grit her teeth then sat back down at her terminal, typing furiously to finish a few reports. Work went on, and she needed to finalize the drafts for the proposals and check in later with the project managers to see how they were coping. This far underround, some of the researchers and engineers thought the attack was nothing more than an elaborate joke.

She had already made a note to make mandatory day visits to the city, at least once a month. Once it was secure again. The people here were losing touch with reality.

Marie smiled at that, frustrated tears forming.

The Dharma Hyperspace draft was done. She sent it to the fact checkers, in the relatively untouched administrative wing, and leaned back.

Her stomach grumbled; apart from the half-eaten wrap and the discarded pack of instant-edamame, she hadn't had any food in her for hours.

Her boss was reading her mind again. "Can you see if they managed to make some lasagna today? Thanks!"

She laughed, leaving their drab bunker of an emergency office into a ferrocrete-hallway. Marie stomped down, taking turns automatically as she made her way to the floor's small kitchen.

A wall of sound hit her as she opened the door, followed by a captivating smell. Lasagna... with fresh pesto, or whatever that smells like pesto. She moved towards the smell, ignoring the people who should be working who were watching the news.

The lasagna was green, except for the tomato sauce which was a weird pink. A small note, in english, beneath it said 'Courtesy of the AgriSciences Wing'. The fact that two of the three trays were empty meant that the food was good, or her people were starving.

My people? she asked herself. She looked around, and a few returned her gaze, many were paying full attention to the flatvid. Those that returned her look gave her warm smiles. She couldn't tell, since the Kuritans were so polite, but she felt they were mostly being genuine.

She finally heard what the news reporter was saying; nothing at all.

"Again, we would like to assure all our viewers that the cowardly attacks against the Dragon are being perpetrated by Federated Suns forces. These are known as 'false-flag' operations and are meant to sow confusion; only the Fox has miscalculated!" the newsman laughed, nervously. "Who could imagine the Dragon fighting itself?"

Marie scooped up two large cuts of the odd, still steaming-hot, lasagna on two plates and backed out of the room. She decided to clear her throat and put on a stern look, and the crowd finally realized she was there and scrambled to return to their labs or offices.

Can't blame them for wanting to hear word of what's going on... but we're on the clock! she added only half-jokingly. It worried her that she cared about this job; whether it was all part of an ISF plot or if she truly cared.

The thought stopped her in her tracks. She was carrying food to the head of the Combine's research efforts into the Helm Memory Core. The fighting was dying down on Xinyang, and Ninyu wasn't coming back for her, not after this.

I have to make my own way out, she thought looking around.

Marie returned to her office long minutes later. She laughed at her boss' frown as he bit down on the now-cold lasagna.

The fire alarm rang just on time.

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #324 on: 15 March 2013, 16:29:09 »
ok... im confused. is there a civil war occuring within the DCMS?

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #325 on: 15 March 2013, 17:32:09 »
ok... im confused. is there a civil war occuring within the DCMS?
Yes, between forces loyal to Marcus and Theodore.

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #326 on: 15 March 2013, 18:35:53 »
A Mad Cat? A Marauder in the same likeness of a Mad Cat?

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #327 on: 15 March 2013, 18:51:31 »
My bad. There's a design challenge in the fan battlemech section asking for Marauder II variants. That was just a joke at the start.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #328 on: 19 March 2013, 13:25:41 »
enjoying this...
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #329 on: 19 March 2013, 19:49:37 »
Thank you, Notsonoble.

=================================
122 km south west of New Gotham City, Irurzun
28 April 3029

Isoroku Kurita coughed up blood.

The hovercar's fuel was leaking. He could smell the faint, ozone-burnt smell of exposed electronics. He could feel his blood dripping onto the car's ceiling below him.

His calloused hands found the restraint's release, and he slid down and righted himself. Isoroku paused long enough to tear off a piece of his uniform to use as a head bandage then raised his laspistol as he opened the door.

Isoroku turned back quickly and snagging a weapon and wore it on his back. He turned to the still night. The landscape was torn apart, rocks upturned, jutting jaggedly from what should have been grassland, with broken stones half his size strewn about.

He kept a hand on the door, using it as cover, as he left the overturned hovercar hopping immediately to cover. He looked back; the car's shredded skirt and fractured fans explained the situation to Isoroku, far quicker than his groggy memory would explain it to him.

"Mine," he said, sputtering blood and coughing. Sinking to one knee, he looked around. He couldn't have been unconscious for longer than a few minutes; the fuel tank was still leaking alcohol.

He checked his wrist-comm, confirming that it had automatically begun sending a distress signal the moment he passed out.

Silently, he laughed, taking care not to induce another coughing fit as he moved away from the dwindling embers around his vehicle.

In his 'humility', he had been functioning as his own driver. To show 'faith' in his students, he went without a bodyguard; entrusting them with his safety.

I've been proven wrong three times tonight, Isoroku thought, leaping from cover to cover gingerly.

He had spent the last few years recuperating from his last battlefield injury and an improvised explosive device--a battle-grade mine would have killed him outright--undid most of the healing in one blast.

The IEDs were not new to him.

Irurzun had the distinction of once being a beautiful planet until it was discovered in the last few years of being rich in minerals. The Combine's voracious war industries moved in soon after, and the landscape was torn apart.

There were protests nightly and explosives were as common as rice in some parts of Irurzun.

And now, with the worries of the destruction of factories, new parts plants were springing up. There was talk of even building an orbiting smelter or mill.

Coordinator Theodore Kurita had promoted him to Tai-sho and given him the Irurzun Prefecture to command; he was to train troops and supervise the dissemination of supplies. It was an important post, critical to the war, to both wars, but it bound him further to the 1st Sun Zhang Cadre that refused to leave his side.

"I should be thankful," he wheezed, "but I just want to strangle Theod--" A sound brought his mind to focus, it had been drifting.

Footsteps. Pebbles gently falling. The snap of hands gripping small weapons. He could taste it in the wind, half-blind and almost-deaf as he was.

I didn't want any of this. Isoroku sighed, pining for the monastery he left behind. He admitted it to no one, but it was young Theodore's actions that convinced him to return to active service.

Slowly, he edged along the ground, conscious of the blood dripping from his head and body. Quickly, Isoroku sprang from cover and saw silhouettes.

He shot the first one in the head.

The thrum of the Nakjima's beam blinded his attackers, giving him the briefest view of the men and women coming for him.

Isoroku killed the second one with a shot to her throat, igniting her turtleneck's fabrics as the beam cut through and severed her spine. Her rifle fell from her hands and he dashed to grab it as his attackers fired.

He felt, rather than heard, the shots hit all around him and he worried for his hearing.

First! he recounted to himself, I was not being humble. I was being proud; displaying arrogance in thinking I could do all that was expected of me.

Blindly, Isoroku fired the rifle overhead as he took cover. The weapon had little recoil and it took a few moments for him to realize why. He tossed the Sonic Stunner away; he reasoned his opponents were not amateurish enough to not carry protection for their ears.

And he was in no mood to be non-lethal.

Smoothly, he drew the second weapon from his back.

Second! I was a fool to blatantly trust my students. They're easily manipulated and are still inexperienced! he berated as he ran to cover, Nakjima blazing holes into the night air. One shadow toppled away, clutching their shoulder as he fell to the ground.

He relied on instincts now. The laspistol was reliable, deadly, and continued to blind his already diminished vision with each shot. The pain was gone, but that was of little matter, he had hurt worse than this.

Snow fell on his cheek. Soon, it would blanket his battlefield and hide it away under a cloud of white.

He vowed not to be taken alive.

His attackers were flanking him, and Isoroku dove to one side as the rocks he had been leaning against vibrated under sonic assault. The broken landscape proved difficult to traverse, even for 'Mechs, but it was all that kept him from captivity. Or worse.

Third! I knew! I knew they'd come for me--

Another attacker appeared before him, but was relying on a comrade to guide her in the dark. His katana whistled, separating her head from the rest of her body. She, at least, carried grenades; stun or smoke, he didn't care as he primed and threw them in his attackers' direction.

Isoroku turned away, almost grinning, and ran into the Sonic Stunner shot. He staggered, a splitting headache took away the last of his vision as he sank to his knees.

The man looked triumphant until he saw Isoroku Kurita's eyes; deceptively calm and Kurita blue.

Isoroku raised his laspistol to his head as the man fired the sonic stunner again.