Author Topic: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)  (Read 99106 times)

Marwynn

• Major
Re: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)
« Reply #360 on: 04 April 2013, 15:17:28 »
The Dragon's Lair, Tok Do
Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine
6 June 3029

Yorinaga Kuria straightened as the Coordinator walked in to the room, eyes blazing.

"He can't just disappear!" Theodore was shouting behind him to the train of officers. "Go! Look again!" shouted the Coordinator, scattering them.

Yorinaga shook his head. "What is Ninyu Kerai?"

"Wrong question," Theodore said curtly. "It's 'where'. 'Where is Ninyu Kerai?'"

Yorinaga stood silently and waited. Finally, Theodore relented. "He is a friend."

"Yes."

"He is a 'warrior."

"Indeed."

"He is... ISF."

The older Kurita nodded. "So why are you surprised at his sudden disappearance?"

"Because he didn't clear it with me!" Theodore said, slamming a fist down on the obsidian table. The hardwood was unperturbed by the impact.

"Did you not name him the rightful head of the ISF?" Yorinaga asked, pressing in. "Did you not give him leave to do as he saw fit?"

"Are you saying that was a mistake?" Theodore asked coldly.

"Iie," Yorinaga said with a shake of his head. "Merely a lesson; you have said more than once that we are your shitenno, loyal retainers. There is no higher praise." The Coordinator looked up and held his gaze. They had done away with most of the formalities, unless observed by others, and spoke like close friends did. Yorinaga appreciated that.

"Tono, you gave him rank, an objective, and free reign..."

Theodore sighed, nodded and said, "You're right. He did this on purpose. Disappearing during a meeting..."

Yorinaga smiled at that; the flame-headed operative finished his briefing, bowed, and disappeared as the lights came back on. The Coordinator had thrown the entire Lair into chaos trying to dig out his ISF Director to no avail. Though he knew he didn't show it, he appreciated a little theatricality every now and then.

The Coordinator looked at him and nodded once, firmly. He bowed, and tapped on his commpad, authorizing the cargo DropShips to lift off. The materiel they carried was needed, greatly needed, elsewhere.

"I believe it was your turn?" Theodore asked casually as he tried to resume the morning brief.

Yorinaga dipped his head once then called in the rest of the officers that were present for the morning briefing. He waited patiently, loading his optichips into the briefing room's systems and nodded to the officers returning from their search.

Once all were seated, he began. In broad strokes he outlined the sudden strikes launched by General Nondi Steiner's troops from Skye into the Tikonov Commmonality; he covered nothing new, only adding that it was Warlord Dieron and his assistant that uncovered the potential of this attack and warned their Capellan allies. The truce with the Davions prohibited direct support, for now, and there were no mercenaries left to send them.

Then he moved on to the final item in his brief, conscious of just what he was proposing. The stain of dishonour, of failure, was still with him. He wrestled with it but he knew he had no choice but to present it.

My swords are still on Luthien... Maybe when... he stopped, breathed, then continued.

"The 2nd Genyosha have not encountered any resistance on Dover, and Tai-sa Asano is taking the time to review defenses for the factories there. He's appended more to his original report on the Xinyang situation, tono, which I believe is worth reviewing."

The Coordinator nodded, and Yorinaga continued, clicking on the commpad to move to the next holo-slide. "Tai-sho Michael Heise is incompetent," he said bluntly. "Or a coward. His orders restrained the 2nd Legion of Vega time and again when they could have taken the fight to the enemy. His Legion is now down to a battalion of heavily damaged 'Mechs, and while there is plentiful salvage, he lost many 'warriors."

"Don't get it, Tono Sama," Esau Olivares blurted out. "Mikey knows how to fight in cities. Damned dirty dastard he is," the tai-sa said appreciatively then began digging through the field reports. "Don't make sense, Tono Sama... here!" the large man said, thrusting a finger at an overhead recreation of an action. "He tells this bunch to pull back, take different roads, but all that'll do is let the fast-movers pick them off!"

The recreation moved along, describing exactly what Tai-sa Olivares said. "Mikey knows this, Tono Sama. Taught it to me, and I passed it along to the new lot."

Yorinaga nodded in thanks to the commander of the 11th Legion of Vega. Bluntly put, but effective. I sought to lead the Coordinator to the same conclusion... He watched as Theodore considered the words.

"We have a traitor then, in command of Xinyang's garrison," the Coordinator pronounced. "If my ISF Director were here I'd command an immediate strike," he added in a lighter tone. Yorinaga chose to laugh, and so did the rest of the officers except for Olivares.

Confused, Olivares looked around then pointed up. "He never left, Tono Sama."

A muffled string of expletives heralded Ninyu Kerai's re-appearance, descending on a thin rope. "Way to go, Esau," Ninyu said sarcastically.

Oblivously, Esau said, "Thanks!" and looked about proudly. The other officers found the obsidian hardwood table suddenly quite interesting.

Theodore Kurita's fist slammed down on the table again, startling them all. Before he could speak, Yorinaga came forward and bowed.

"Forgive me, tono, but this was my idea."

The Coordinator's blazing eyes banked into a steady boiling gaze.

Ninyu stepped past him and tossed a few items to the table. Theodore's eyes widened, his fury momentary displaced. They were personal, stored in his office here and in the residence.

"This... demonstration should prove that we can no longer remain on Tok Do. Your residence is compromised, and the Lair is not without its faults. For your safety, Coordinator, I beg you: relocate your command post!" Yorinaga said, falling on his knees. The other officers knelt quickly, Esau going down first and even touching his forehead all the way to the floor.

Ninyu Kerai remained standing, and Yorinaga could almost see the man smirking.

"Very well. I see now that your promotion was well deserved, Director," Theodore said through gritted teeth, moments later. His voice turned to him. "And you, conspirator. You have time to plan this? Clearly you have too little to do."

"Tono?" Yorinaga said, raising his head slightly.

"Rise. All of you: rise!" The Coordinator commanded. He looked each one in the eyes, then walked out of the room. They followed, silently, Yorinaga at the head.

They marched out, trailing after the Coordinator, flanked by Otomo as they made their way to the pit of the arena that served as the centre of the Dragon's Lair. The massive holomap was still blinking the sudden blue arrows striking into the Capellan Confederation, launched from the newly reconquered Federation of Skye. It flickered, replaced by the Kurita crest.

Soon, they all stood underneath it, and Theodore's face was recreated above them as well. His voice was amplified when he spoke.

"In our history, there has only ever been one other a Coordinator has trusted with the affairs of the military," Theodore boomed. Yorinaga held his breath. "That was Urizen Kurita, brother of my ancestor, Shiro Kurita, founder of the Draconis Combine."

Theodore looked around the room, letting the gathered analysts and officers stand and gape at him. They were too disciplined to start whispering, but Yorinaga could hear them strain forward to hear everything.

"Today, I present to you the second Gunji-no-Kanrei, Yorinaga Kurita!"

« Last Edit: 04 April 2013, 15:36:41 by Marwynn »

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #361 on: 04 April 2013, 15:26:40 »
Still loving it  O0

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #362 on: 04 April 2013, 15:35:58 »
Just for quick reference, shitennou doesn't mean "loyal retainers" - that's youjinbou (often seen as yojimbo.)  Shitennou is, literally, "four heavenly kings," and is often used for the four strongest members of a group.

For example, the Four Fiends in Final Fantasy IV (Scarmiglione, Cagnazzo, Barbariccia, and Rubicante,) or the various Elite Fours in Pokemon, are called shitennou in Japanese.

Tasty stuff here!  :)

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #363 on: 04 April 2013, 18:32:54 »
Glad to hear, Wolflord! Thanks Sandslice. I used the term without thinking about it, it appears in Heir to the Dragon as well and Teddy uses it to refer to his inner circle so I assumed that's what it meant.  O0

lowrolling

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #364 on: 09 April 2013, 23:23:54 »
Very nice, when does the Coordinator go home?
May no one ever know less then me......

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #365 on: 11 April 2013, 09:26:36 »
My apologies, all. Busy, busy, busy.

===============================

Unity Palace, Imperial City, Luthien
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
29 June 3029

Coordinator Marcus Kurita gripped the bannister of the balcony, staring up at the Black Pearl's night sky.

More than a year ago he ascended to the Chrysanthemum Throne, unexpectedly. Not that he minded. His plans for removing Takashi, and his legitimate heirs, were only a few years away from bearing fruit.

Fate merely accelerated my destiny, he thought then, before sensing the trap. Before realizing there were strings that bound him

The Imperial City looked much like it did that night, the hot summer day giving way to a humid night. In the dying sun he could make out the new factories, the new plants he had commissioned--the nobility and industry leaders be damned. Those plants were still operating, but with a fresh new shift of workers instead of the overworked few.

Their children went to better schools and their neighbourhoods were surrounded by networks of clinics, hospices, and DCMS recruitment centres disguised as public recreation buildings. He had hoped to bypass the nobility that so straddled the Combine's military that the DCMS now buckled under their proud strain.

Under his reign, Luthien's population had grown, its workers better fed, rested, and paid. He understood the value of a happy worker, even if others had not. Even the air was cleaner and the government responded more smoothly.

Marcus laughed to himself. These fools at court think me some hidebound traditionalist and Theodore a radical; I've never heard the whelp discuss reform on this scale. Pity. The last thought surprised him, it was magnanimous and he wasn't feeling particularly generous at the moment.

He scanned the cityscape again. The Luthien night life had always been enjoyable, but now it was a night-long party, filled with better-paid workers looking to spend their hard-earned ryu. The money drifted from the factory owners' hands to the workers to the citizens, and Marcus was glad for it.

He knew he wouldn't be remembered for that. Tonight, they were celebrating.

His backers, almost all wealthy industrialists who inherited their positions, were absorbing the Combine's money and holding tightly to it; using it to influence every level of the Combine's bloated bureaucracy. Even the DCMS's Procurement Department was riddled with them. It had sickened him, and he was the most privileged of them all, and he worked hard to curtail their influence.

They rebelled against him, and championed Theodore who they hated.

All of this is revenge, Marcus realized. He spent his year, bloody as it had been, doing his best not to fight Theodore but the people who felt they owned him. His reforms, radical and fair, were spreading. It would topple more than one corporation, and he smiled at the fates of some of his 'allies'.

Or did I do it because I knew this day would come? he asked as he glanced up at the night sky one last time.

There were new stars. They were falling.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #366 on: 11 April 2013, 09:53:02 »
Sanethia Kurita Parade Ground, Imperial Palace, Luthien
30 June 3029

Tai-sho Goshi Tengwan advanced his 'Mech slowly.

Luthien had been abandoned by all except the regiment in front of him. He knew they'd be here, and he was both proud and sorrowful. He had begged the true Coordinator and his new Gunji-no-Kanrei for this.

It was time.

He strode calmly towards the centre of the parade ground, pausing at each of the four fallen 'Mechs. There had been four duels so far, one from each rank: from MechWarrior, to Lance Commander, Company Commander, and Battalion Commander.

Both sides won two duels. The fifth would decide.

It was his turn.

He stood proudly in the middle of the Sanethia Kurita Parade Ground and began recounting his family history then his personal achievements for all to hear. His Atlas, painted flat red, bore the steel dragon of the 2nd Sword of Light proudly. Far behind him, his regiment stood, arrayed and organized for battle.

It wasn't his favoured 'Mech, but Goshi bowed to Theodore Kurita's wishes that he pilot the best, the sturdiest, Assault 'Mech into combat since Tharkad. If his Lord had commanded it, he would have gladly gone to battle naked.

Goshi then began to recount his and the 2nd Sword's actions on Tharkad, laying siege to Mount Wotan. He made it sound more epic than what it really was--a shellgame of epic proportions--but it drew a reaction.

When he finished, another 'warrior stepped forward. The 'warrior matched him boast for boast; he spoke for longer but with less accomplishments. The last one of note were the devastating strikes in the Tamar Pact.

Tai-sho Moshiu Yodetobo of the 7th Sword of Light stood before him, ahead of his regiment. His Atlas was flat-red save for the golden death's head. Goshi nodded; it was in remembrance for the 5th Sword of Light, the Gold Dragons, lost to Capellan trickery.

He himself painted his Atlas's shoulders with the names, in katakana, of the lost samurai in gold ink. He bore their deaths on his shoulders, Yodetobo wore their deaths.

They stood, the midday sun not fully obscured by the dark clouds spewed from distant factories. The gate to the Imperial Palace was to his right, and the guardhouses and the walls were all primed and ready to repel his regiment should they attack.

They wouldn't. Not until he gave the word.

Both moved at the same time; Goshi triggered the twin heavy lasers and ripple-fired his missiles as he angled 45 degrees away from Yodetobo's golden-headed Atlas. He perceived the slightest bit of hesitation in his opponent's movements, knowing he was unsure of what to make of the two azure beams carving deeply into his 'Mech's chest as a shortened-flight of missiles hammered at him.

Missiles coughed towards him, and Goshi spread his 'Mech's limbs wide. A lifetime of experience told him that the FarFire LRM 20 preferred to group its salvo and had a tendency to track extended parts of a 'Mech at a run. Even a slow run as his Atlas could muster.

Armour shattered off his arms and legs, not enough to worry about, and fighting through the heat Goshi triggered the twin large lasers again. He watched in satisfaction as another ton of armour melted at his weapons' touch.

He twisted his Atlas's torso to the right, keeping its mirror-image foe in sight, then wrenched and pedalled on his controls. His modified Atlas responded, digging in its feet to cut its inertia then began taking massive steps backwards.

The second wave of missiles were better aimed, smashing him fully in the chest and was strong enough to throw Goshi against his harnesses. He triggered his own missiles then both large lasers again, hitting with only one beam as the missiles bit deep into the other Atlas' shoulder.

Incensed at his retreat--it was a deliberate insult--Tai-sho Yodetobo charged forward. He continued walking backwards, smashing and melting armour at leisure and taking far less damage in return. Eventually, the 7th Sword of Light Atlas closed the distance and triggered its massive Deathgiver cannon.

Goshi was waiting for it, throwing his 'Mech forward, angled away again, and caught only a few of the heavy shells. The short-range missiles and lasers tracked him better, smashing more armour in cascades. His panel blinked yellow and red in most areas.

His 'Mech was threatening shutdown but he fired, finally piercing the golden-head Atlas's chest with two thick azure beams. Foamed aluminum bled out of the molten wounds, Goshi knew he burned through just by the way the smoke wafted and the metal dripped.

Then he fired his Deathgiver while the lasers were still burning. The Class-20 Autocannon roared and punched through what little remained of the Atlas's torso. Over the roar, he could hear the massive 'Mech dying as its engine shutdown from overheat.

Tai-sho Yodetobo snarled openly on the commbands, hurling invectives and insults as his 'Mech crashed down. Goshi smiled, slamming down on the override again, and breathed in the cockpit's oven-hot air.

Finally, Yodetobo regained control of his 'Mech and stood it on its feet, steadying itself with a step back, and then bent forward. Slowly, Tai-sho Goshi Tengwan bent his own Atlas forward, bowing, accepting the surrender.

Tai-sho Goshi Tengwan began to order the defeated 7th Sword of Light to stand down.

The golden-head Atlas charged.

Goshi fired, triggering both lasers that burned into the 'Mech's shoulders but the Atlas continued on. It gripped his Atlas as the two titans clashed and clanged, rushing its smashed chest against his.

The 7th Sword of Light Atlas exploded.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #367 on: 11 April 2013, 15:19:15 »
Unity Palace, Imperial City, Luthien
1 July 3029

Marcus Kurita's head rolled on the floor, the blood spurting as the rest of his body remained kneeling below the dais.

Theodore sat back down on the Chrysanthemum Throne, bloodied katana still in his right hand. His uncle had offered him his head.

So he took it.

He knew Marcus expected to be offered the use of a garden, but Theodore didn't think; he acted. Theodore took a moment and decided he was at peace with himself.

The head rolled further, forcing nobles to shuffle away while keeping their eyes on their new Coordinator. The blade slowly dripped blood as he gazed over the members of the court.

His court.

The Coordinator of the Draconis Combine dipped his head.

An official called a name with a military rank. A soldier strode forward, untroubled by the corpse and knelt in the blood before him. Theodore stood and raised him to the nobility, and did so again for another fourteen. They would rule worlds, Federated Suns worlds, in his name and they in turn would raise officers--already chosen by the Bureau of Substitution--to serve them. With each tap of the blade, he secured the loyalty of victorious troops.

Inwardly, he wondered at the non-japanese tradition of raising soldiers this way then put the thought away. The new nobles stood to the side, erect and stained with blood.

"Samuel Botterfield!" the official pronounced.

The court parted again, shocked murmurs and strangled cries of outrage escaped their lips. The hereditary CEO of Luthien Armor Works, the most prolific and powerful Combine manufacturer, was a thin, reedy man, dressed in the finest silks. He strode forward, confidence in his steps but humility on his face.

The Botterfields had never been given a noble title, despite their service. LAW's size alone would require a rank just below that of Coordinator. The man stumbled a little, the congealed blood slimed his soft shoes' soles, but he made his way below Theodore and bowed deeply.

"For your service to your Coordinator," Theodore said, "I give you a choice."

"A choice, tono?" Samuel asked assuredly.

The Coordinator dipped his head. "A blade or a bullet?"

The members of the court fell silent. Several of the 'warriors in the crowd tensed.

Samuel Botterfield, a man in his 60s but with the vigour of a man half his age, sunk to his knees.

"W-Why?" he asked, trembling.

"Conspiracy against the throne," Theodore said simply. "Shall I list your crimes then?" he added as the CEO was struck silent.

"On five worlds, DCMS forces protecting your facilities were attacked by Marcus Kurita's or Vasily Cherenkoff's forces. You had sent word to each factory to betray their defenders. The blood of three regiments of soldiers, of MechWarriors, are on your hands. Stand!" he shouted as the man collapsed in on himself.

Theodore waited until the man quivered to his feet, then continued. "Factories in the Dieron, Benjamin, and Galedon districts were not only late in delivering spare parts, the parts were sabotaged. Again, by your orders. Men and women died. Battles were lost against the Federated Suns."

"But I..." the CEO said, pleadingly.

The Coordinator nodded. "Yes, you gave us intelligence. If it weren't for you, we wouldn't have known Cherenkoff would betray his Coordinator and flee to Rasalhague. We seized Luthien because of that."

"But I ask you this: How did you know if you weren't part of the conspiracy?"

Theodore nodded to the official again, an elderly man aghast at the display. He did his duty. "Andromeda Fuyerton! Marquess Cynthia Evans!"

There were shouts of outrage and denial, and the court exploded away from the two women called, creating islands of people as the two CEOs were surrounded by their retinue. Theodore held his hand to stop the Otomo as his new nobles marched and broke up the retinues and dragged the two women kicking and screaming before him. They bowed and returned to their places.

The Marquess was old. She inherited her role decades ago, even before Theodore's grandfather's time. She looked at him with venom through rheumy eyes. Wakazashi Enterprises had been hers for so long that her own children had died waiting to take her place.

Mangon Aeronautics' CEO was younger, more interested in corporate maneuverings than delivering a capable product; the Sholagar fighter design claimed the life of an uncle Theodore couldn't remember, and she knew the round-wing design was unstable and sold it to the DCMS nonetheless. That was the least of her crimes.

"I offer you two the same choice: blade or bullet?"

Cynthia Evans took one step closer. "Blade--" she said and Theodore slashed her stomach suddenly with his katana. He was careful to avoid the spinal column and vital organs as he sliced it open.

She fell to her knees and then to her side as she fought to keep her insides in. She made no noise, and Theodore admired her for that.

The two older CEOs stayed silent, and Theodore decided to clean his blade and sheathed it.

He turned his back towards them and the Otomo seized the two and they disappeared behind swiftly closed doors.

The Coordinator of the Draconis Combine looked at the stunned members of his court, holding their attention for several minutes. He then stepped down from the dais, dismissing them. They scattered quickly, making their way out of the throne room, through the Royal Hall, and out into the courtyard.

Two red splatters greeted them on the steps, their fine clothes soaked red. The nobles hurried out, running, slipping and sliding on the gruesome remains of two of the most powerful people in the Combine.

Theodore watched this from a commpad as he walked along the halls of Unity Palace. Ninyu Kerai, beside him throughout the entire affair, walked to his right.

He looked Theodore in the eyes. "Subtle," the ISF Director said.

Theodore ignored the reproach. "Take me to your predecessor."

"You can't throw him out the window, you know?"

"Because he's in a dungeon deep below?" Theodore asked, anticipating the joke.

"No, because he'll kill any Otomo that try and probably one or both of us before we get him. He'll probably escape too."

Theodore stopped, pulling his retinue short as he glared at his friend. "Just--take me to him."

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #368 on: 11 April 2013, 15:24:17 »
"Personal violence is not the way of the Coordinator. Our destiny requires us to work through others. This assassin must meet justice, not vengeance. It is best for the Combine." - Takashi Kurita, Heir to the Dragon (Prologue)

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #369 on: 11 April 2013, 15:39:02 »
 O0  A good way to for TK to clean house in the combine!  keep it up

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #370 on: 11 April 2013, 17:09:12 »
Yep, definitely worth the wait.  Thanks for sharing your brain.
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #371 on: 15 April 2013, 12:37:29 »
Thanks gents.

By the way, I sometimes write a lot of fluff for 'Mechs and other designs. Some won't ever be included in the story, but they do fill out the universe some more.

Keep in mind that these are written with another point of view, someone trying to be objective but who may not necessarily know it all.

Here's the Hunchback HBK-4K that has some tidbits. But prolly won't make it in due to its munchy-ness.

====================================
Wolfsden, Nirasaki
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
3 July 3029

"It's a boring name."

"The men came up with it--"

"--Really? 'Fraser's Rangers' was the best they could come up with?" Natasha Kerensky said with a shake of her head. "I liked the 'Black Dragons' more..."

Dechan sighed. "We've been in the Combine for how long now? And you don't know that name's taken?"

The redheaded major turned to face him. "No, I didn't... A Kuritan regiment calls themselves the 'Black Dragons'? Congrats, your bunch got off the hook for being the most unimaginative unit in the Sphere!"

Dechan simply sighed and drank from his cup. Natasha took his silence as victory and turned inward again, almost brooding. He tensed, without knowing it, and began flipping through the notes of the brief on his noteputer.

"Tsk, tsk," the Black Widow said, her eyes closed as she leaned back into her chair. "Let Willie do his job..."

The door opened before Dechan could respond. Colonel Shostokovitch walked in to the briefing room, eyes glazed from a late night. He stumbled in, then took a few awkward steps back to the door to fiddle with the light panel. He set it to a dim glow, waved at them both, then found a pool of darkness to sleep in.

Colonel Dumont stepped in moments later, paused at the door, then adjusted the lights to standard brightness. It didn't matter, Andrei Shostokovitch was already fully asleep.

Dechan returned the Col. Dumont's nod. Natasha to his right simply put her feet up on desk in front of her and put on a pair of sunglasses. Delta's commander ignored the Black Widow, and slid into a chair and quietly nursed a steaming cup.

William Cameron walked in, dimmed the lights then waved a stick at the shut windows. The glass turned translucent, letting in the cool natural light that Nirasaki was blessed with. Captain Cameron's shoulder was still weighed down with a heavy-duty comm, but he also adopted the Kuritan wrist-wrapped noteputers. He had one on each forearm now, alternating between the two to choreograph the briefing room's systems.

The room was more of a small theatre, with raised rows of desks and chairs angled towards the front of the room. Flatvids and holoprojectors blinked to life, outlining their topic. Colonel Shostokovitch roused himself awake and blinked wearily at the shining lights.

"Thank you for attending this briefing," William began the mandatory meeting without the least bit of sarcasm, "I hope to be brief. Please ask your questions at any time."

"When's breakfast?" Andrei Shostokovitch asked.

"Two hours ago, at oh-five-hundred, colonel. Now, Tikonov," the young captain said as the Capellan Confederation loomed in the flatvids behind him. "Specifically, the Tikonov Commonality. Reports are in from Kuritan sources, and ours confirm it, that General Nondi Steiner has emptied two-thirds of her forces from the Rasalhague district. These were then divided into three task forces: one moved into secure the 'Federation of Skye' worlds; another moved along the Lyran/Combine border to head off any potential DCMS raids; and the last acted as a mobile reserve for the first task force then launched a supporting invasion of the Confederation."

Arrows and unit names flickered on the screens and outlined the Lyrans' attacks. Dechan followed it as closely as he could, pulling out individual records from his noteputer of units and all the details William was glossing over.

"The attack, however unexpected, proved timely," William continued. "Senior Military Coordinator Pavel Ridzik had been wary of the CCAF reserves called up to rendezvous with Candace Liao and Justin Xiang on Tikonov. When the planet fell, thanks mostly to Kuritan interference, Ridzik gathered his loyal troops on Elgin. As a result, it created a vacuum in the middle of the Commonality that the Lyrans happily filled. We have Ridzik and his most-likely-disloyal CCAF troops on one side, the Lyrans in the middle, and the, well, true Capellans on the other side, bordered by mercenaries who are staving off Davion raids for now."

"It's like some malfed-up Spheroid sandwich," Natasha observed, feet still up, sun glasses still on.

"Guess who gets to be the special sauce?" Dechan asked, and William nodded.

"The Combine's 'truce' with the Federated Suns doesn't extend to their allies like the Lyrans. So, we can hit them, and General Wolf plans to," the captain said, triggering the windows to darken again and the holoprojector to light up.

"Ningpo and Alderbaran, two hubs of transport and trade. As you can imagine, it proved to be tempting targets to the LCAF. Beta and Delta will be taking those worlds back for our paymaster's allies." Colonel Kathleen Dumont nodded once, but Colonel Shostokovitch pumped his fists into the air.

"Finally! Beta's been ready for weeks!"

"As the general well knows. The Black Widow Battalion will follow both and engage in headhunting of Lyran officers. The Fraser's Rangers?" William asked Dechan, and he nodded curtly, cheeks flushing. "Fraser's Rangers will follow the supply trail, all the way back to Skye."

The Wolf's Dragoons officers nodded their understanding, and Captain Cameron began a more detailed--a much more detailed--view of the Lyrans' attacks. Dechan sensed Jaime Wolf's hands in this part of the briefing. Cameron went over unit compositions, new observed tactics, new machines, and potential weaknesses. All of the data had been compiled by Beta and Delta's staffs, and the two colonels merely absorbed the overview.

He leaned back and glanced sidelong at Natasha, seeing her eyes from the side staring unblinkingly at the flatscreen.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2013, 07:55:55 by Marwynn »

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #372 on: 16 April 2013, 00:42:52 »
If the windows became opaque then that would mean that they are not admitting light.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #373 on: 16 April 2013, 07:55:25 »
If the windows became opaque then that would mean that they are not admitting light.

/facepalm

Thanks!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #374 on: 16 April 2013, 08:03:51 »
well they could be opaque and still allow light, just be unable to see thru them

but his correction to translucent is better
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #375 on: 16 April 2013, 15:46:20 »
Manega Mountain Range, Lestrade Continent, Summer
Federation of Skye, Lyran Commonwealth
18 July 3029

Sho-sho Friedrich Von Galberston decided he liked Colonel Isadora Alvarez.

He didn't know what to expect. The Free Worlds League had been fighting itself mostly for the last few decades, and what the ISF had gathered on the 18th Marik Militia was not flattering. That was understandable, the ISF wouldn't paint a unit that took part in a rebellion in anything close to a favourable light. Unless they had succeeded. And of course, a female commanding officer would simply draw more disdain.

But the woman has guts, he admitted.

He lit up his Guillotine's jump jets, eager to see ahead as his regiment meandered across the broken terrain. The Heavy 'Mech rose ungainly on streams of plasma, the roaring echoed by other jump-jet capable 'Mechs. The rest of the 2nd Dieron Regulars were disciplined, using jump jets only to cover the advance. He admitted that he just wanted a better look.

The 18th Marik Militia were falling upon the Lyrans, literally. Three gleaming-purple Overlord-class DropShips hovered over the mountains, far in the distance, as the 18th hurled themselves to the ground, riding smaller jets of plasma to safety. The Lyrans, a mixed force of the remnants of the 13th Donegal Guards and various mercenary units, were scrambling. Some rushed forward, under the DropShips' guns, for a chance to bring down a 'Mech. Others pulled back, away from the falling purple 'Mechs, in orderly or scattered formations.

The rest simply stood and delivered.

She had simply told him that they'd perform a drop onto the enemy, and he left it at that. He didn't imagine she'd try a hover-drop; only the SLDF had performed those regularly and in battlefield conditions.

His 2nd Dieron was making good speed, despite choosing to use the mountain chains to travel over. Summer, the world more than deserved its name Friedrich found as he tapped on his 'Mech's ambient-heat reading, was a world of plains and mountains that divided them. It reminded him of Dieron, which seemed fitting, but the people had flocked to the plains here to build their plants and cities. The Dieronese carved mountains to make their cities and built factories on where the resources were.

And instead of boring through kilometres of mountains, and stumble upon any rich mineral veins, the people of Summer depended on DropShips 'hopping' from one city to another. It made sneaking in their regiments that much easier, he thought, spying another grey egg descending to one of the planet's ten major spaceports.

The lack of a surface-based transportation network, like roads or trains, also meant that redeploying units--such as in case of an attack--meant using DropShips. And that was easily countered with fighters.

I must remember to thank Kanrei Yorinaga for lending me this aero-regiment. I wonder if can keep it? he mused as one of the Marik Overlords began to rise again. He looked at the trail of devastation it had left in its fusion-powered wake; kilometres of rocky ground blasted as it shed its 'Mechs. The other two Overlords drew their own lines, forming a blazing triangle.

It would return to orbit, parking itself alongside the fighter carriers for protection, and be ready to land again if necessary. Sho-sho Von Galberston raised a gun arm in salute of the DropShip crew's skills, and his regiment followed suit. Seconds later, the rising Overlord's landing lights, visible despite the glare, blinked in response.

If they were trying to impress, they succeeded. Hover drops! he shook his head at the thought, straining his neck at the heavy neurohelmet. I have to try that someday, he promised, then turned his attention to the various readouts and reports flooding his Heavy 'Mech.

With the air and space theirs, only the ground mattered. He lit up his jump jets again, placing himself 112 metres forward on clear ground. He landed with the Guillotine's knees flexed and already running. The 17th Skye Rangers were based on nearby Curitiba, Summer's capital, and his scouts confirmed they were on the move.

He hoped to head them off. Are they coming to help? he wondered then laughed. Of course they are! But which side?

The 17th Skye Rangers had been Grand Duke Aldo Lestrade's garrison unit for years; according to the ISF brief the unit didn't act unless the 'Imp' gave the word. Which was why he had proposed smashing the 13th Donegal Guards instead; trapping the regiment between his sudden advance and the 18th Marik's 'ambush'.

Friedrich felt the crump of his artillery firing. He had dearly wanted heavy-lift VTOLs to carry the tanks and the tubes over the mountains and lob shells at their leisure at either Lyran force, but there were none to be had. He made another mental note to request some; combined-arms was all well and good, but only 'Mechs could fight on any surface. The tracked combat vehicles tried to keep pace, but he had to divert them to smoother-going mountain passes. Instead of directly supporting his force, they were on independent duty, covering the passes the Rangers might take.

He was still thundering along as the shells arced above and landed deep inside the Marik-drawn triangle. He kept an eye on the tenuous link the 18th Marik had established with his artillery commander, having his targeting system project the coordinates. The last thing he wanted was a 'friendly-fire' incident with artillery.

The 2nd Dieron Regulars slowed as they reached their waypoints, and Sho-sho Von Galberston allowed his battalion commanders to position their 'Mechs. The transport VTOLs set down where they could, disgorging platoons of heavy infantry, and lifting off again to spot the incoming Rangers.

He stood his 'Mech in the midst of his force and surveyed it with pride.

Sho-sho Von Galberston was still smiling when a Marik Overlord exploded.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #376 on: 19 April 2013, 11:04:10 »
Unity Palace, Luthien
30 July 3029

Chandrasekhar Kurita smiled gratefully as an attendant began fanning him with what appeared to be a large peacock feather. The breeze was welcome; Luthien was humid at the best of times but he had long ago acclimated to it. Mentally, at least. His body, however, had chosen to forget the lessons his time at Court had imparted.

Theodore had seemed to be more of a traditionalist than most; the industrial-grade environment control system built into Unity Palace was set to dehumidify the air and cool it slightly. Even Takashi had bowed to the need for air conditioning.

He glanced at the floor and nodded in approval.

"What is it, 'Uncle'?" Theodore Kurita asked distractedly. The Coordinator stood alongside him, no formal Court had been called today. Or any day since the first. The Coordinator was busying himself with a noteputer, idly going through his agenda.

"Oh, just remembering."

"Hmm?"

"Your father once threatened to gut me right here, unless I could give him a good reason not to."

Theodore stilled but forced a smile. "And what did you tell him?"

"He wouldn't get my blood out of the floor, not without coating the beautiful, beautiful hardwood with something else than varnish," Chandrasekhar said, fondly. "Glad he saw to it; otherwise you'd have to rip up the floors, I'd imagine--"

"--Chandy--"

"--or install some drains," Chandrasekhar finished, his voice hardening. It was the harshest tone he had ever taken with his younger cousin, who now ruled their Great House and the Draconis Combine.

The Coordinator turned dangerously towards him and he returned the gesture blandly. Finally, Theodore caved with a shake of his head.

"You have no one around here to tell you when you malf something up," Chandy said with a hint of a smile. "I will do that for you, my dear nephew."

Theodore shook his head again. "That's not why I asked you to come back to Luthien. I need someone I can trust--"

"--Ooh!--"

"--to run the Combine's economy--"

"--Aww!--"

"--and advise me, personally, and privately, on other matters."

"Very well, I accept!" Chandrasekhar pronounced and snapped his fingers to the side. A servant appeared with a cool drink and placed it in his outstretched hand. She scurried away quickly. "What is my new title, dear nephew?" he asked after raising a toast.

"Director of the Interior--"

"--oh come now! Director of the Interior? I sound like a Capellan feng-shui geomancer!" Chandy said with a shake of his head. "Pick something else."

Exasperated, Theodore blew out a breath. "What if I pick someone else?"

"Might be for the best, actually," he said seriously. "Dreary Yorinaga's already your Chief Warlord or something, and Ninyu Kerai might as well be an adoptive Kurita from what I hear. There are other families, merchant families, that have proper scions..."

"That's your advice? Hire someone else?" Theodore asked, flabbergasted.

Chandrasekhar Kurita turned fully towards his cousin and bowed. "You killed a lot of people. Industrialists. Wealthy ones, with connections. They. Are. Afraid."

"They should be!" Theodore yelled, hurling the noteputer away. "Do you know what they've done?"

"Yes. And so does the rest of the Combine."

Theodore Kurita took a step back, as if physically hit.

"Whatever economic gains we made with those reforms your father and your predecessor passed pale in comparison to the depression we'll face. Soon. You publicly executed CEOs from the oldest corporations within the Combine, even after centuries of our interference in their affairs. And then you gutted their executives--sometimes literally--as punishment," Chandrasekhar paused, sipping his sweating drink, "and you did it all publicly. Shaming them. It's a miracle our economy isn't in a freefall with the panic you and your silly sword have caused. Tono."

"Get out."

"No."

Theodore's face flushed angrily at him, then he paused. The Otomo, five in all, did not take one step to obey. They stood, silently, and would need to be ordered directly. It was the harshest form of protest the Otomo would take.

Chandrasekhar watched this, coolly, as he sipped his drink. The Coordinator's rage dissipated with every breath, and slowly he made his way to the Chrysanthemum Throne. He sat and stared at the floor.

My poor, rash cousin...

"What position will you take?" Theodore asked, minutes later.

The hint of a plea almost broke Chandrasekhar's heart. "Keizai-no-Seishi."

The Coordinator looked up. "Chief Delegate of the Economy?"

"It sounds better in japanese, I admit. And I'll need to form an Executive Board. Maybe the High Board?"

"You just said--"

"--I know, but I trust them less than you. But I'm not comfortable in the light, dear nephew. You'll need to find a replacement in a year or five."

Theodore dipped his head once.

Chandrasekhar Kurita, Keizai-no-Seishi, bowed deeply and held it for a long time.

He looked up, clinked the ice in the now empty glass, and winked at his cousin. "Oh... someone should tell General Wolf."

« Last Edit: 19 April 2013, 11:09:51 by Marwynn »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #377 on: 19 April 2013, 12:25:56 »
Wolfsden, Nirasaki
30 July 3029

"That's not what I wanted to hear," Jaime Wolf admitted.

Dechan nodded. He had finished delivering his report, in private, to the general almost an hour ago and both had been silent since. The older man had aged with every word he spoke, but his eyes never dulled.

"It's not what I wanted to find," Dechan confessed.

"Where is she now?"

Major Fraser shook his head. Wolf held up a hand and tapped a query into his terminal. "She's still in a planning session. She'll be in it all afternoon."

Dechan wrestled with the question, and all he managed to get out was one word. "How?"

"Fast."

He nodded, stood, and opened the door. Anton Shadd walked in, looking properly grim and saluted.

"My team's ready, general."

"I want her alive."

"Yes sir."

"Are you sure she hasn't done anything else?"

"Sir, we can't be--" Dechan stepped in but Wolf cut him off.

"--How sure are you that she can't hurt us?"

"Not fully, sir," Anton said, almost apologetically. "She has full access..."

General Wolf sighed and leaned forward. "Dechan, go with them. I want her alive."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Major Fraser checked the stungun's setting, feeling its weight as he deposited it inside a stack of boxes. He would walk into the briefing room first, his presence would draw less suspicion than a member of the Seventh Kommando, no matter how well-disguised.

He was just bearing lunch for friends, so he pushed the doors aside with a knock and a smile.

Natasha Kerensky's head perked up at the smell. She almost smiled then sensed the danger. Her heavy pistol was out in a moment, and Fraser pulled the stungun, dropped the lunch, scattering shawarma and pizza on the floor, as he dove for cover.

Major Kerensky held her fire, but their movements panicked everyone else in the room. Civilians and commtechs scattered away, dashing backwards to the walls or ducking like him.

"What are you doing, Dechan?" Natasha asked, her voice steady.

"Put the gun down, Natasha!" he yelled. "We're--"

The loud boom tore a chunk of the plasteel desk and deafened him.

"We?" the Black Widow asked, scattering chairs aside and taking cover from the windows. "Who's 'we'?"

Dechan hefted the stungun from the holster to his hand, and judged his chances. His cover, fake wood and commercial-grade plasteel, wouldn't stop any of the Black Widow's bullets. For a moment, he was thankful for Shadd's men: they hadn't charged in, stunguns blazing. Then he wondered if it was because they weren't worried about his safety. Whether that meant they trusted him or didn't value him, he couldn't decide.

"Natasha!--"

"It wasn't me!" the Black Widow yelled. "Whatever it was, it wasn't me!"

"What the hell are you talking about?"

Boom. The ferrocrete wall cratered above him.

"Don't bullshit me, Dechan," the Black Widow warned.

"Natasha!" another voice yelled, from within the room. Marisha Dandridge stood slowly from the group huddling in the corner. "Natasha," she pleaded, "put the gun down. Whatever it is, it'll be okay."

"Marisha! Stay where you are!" Dechan yelled.

"Tasha, it's okay. It's okay..." Marisha kept saying, advancing slowly towards the Black Widow.

Dechan flicked the screen on his stungun, bent it over the table, and watched as Natasha glared at the camera mounted on its barrel. Then, she looked at the woman slowly walking towards her, both hands up. She let her pistol sway as Marisha stepped closer.

He aimed right at her and squeezed the trigger.

Marisha Dandridge crumpled into a heap.

« Last Edit: 19 April 2013, 12:29:45 by Marwynn »

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #378 on: 19 April 2013, 12:55:25 »
Marisha Dandridge= who is she? the name rings old bells but i cant recall exactly who she is, though i suppose in this AU, she isnt a good guy...

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #379 on: 19 April 2013, 13:04:38 »
Marisha Dandridge= who is she? the name rings old bells but i cant recall exactly who she is, though i suppose in this AU, she isnt a good guy...

Jamie's 2nd wife

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #380 on: 19 April 2013, 16:00:40 »
Also, the mother of his children (in canon).

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #381 on: 19 April 2013, 17:37:49 »
 :o I'm more curious about what Natasha is imagining Dechan came in there to get her for?

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #382 on: 19 April 2013, 18:25:44 »
The Black Widow saying it wasn't me, priceless. ;D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #383 on: 20 April 2013, 04:39:56 »
Also, the mother of his children (in canon).

Except for Mckenzie iirc ?

Natasha taking pot-shots at Dechan suggests that she has been up to SOMETHING unless minor discipline issues are being dealt with somewhat more summarily than in canon.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #384 on: 22 April 2013, 09:49:18 »
Quite right.

Speaking of Mackenzie...

=================================
Wolfsden, Nirasaki
31 July 3029

Jaime Wolf read the first page of the report for the fifth time. The words made sense, but didn't go beyond his eyes. Nothing he focused on made any sense.

He read the words for the sixth time, saying each word out loud. Finally, he gave up and leaned into his chair to stretch. He hadn't moved in hours, and his eyes teared from the strain of staring at the terminal during all that time.

Dechan Fraser entered his office without knocking, and he felt the younger man's hesitation to see his commanding officer with tears in his eyes. Jaime didn't wipe these tears away, he hadn't begun to cry at all.

"You wanted to see me, sir?" the major asked, closing the door behind him.

"Fraser, yes. Come, sit," he said, more roughly than he intended. "Tell me what you make of this report," Jaime said, turning the screen to Dechan.

He sat for a few minutes while Dechan scanned the report. Finally, the major looked up and shrugged. "Just like you predicted, general. Hanse Davion has prevailed upon Blackwell Industries to give up the Marauder II lines on New Valencia. It says here that most of the equipment was lifted off and its on its way here, or rather, Nagano."

Jaime nodded, face impassive, but inside he was thankful. I haven't completely lost it...

"Though there is some indication that the First Prince only did so due to the DropShips arriving, possibly to dismantle the line," Dechan continued. "But I don't buy it. Even if they are communicating without HPGs, as everyone seems to think they're doing, the replacement equipment they brought from New Avalon required months to haul."

Major Fraser shook his head. "I disagree on the two possibilities offered by the analyst, general. I don't believe the seizing of the New Valencia factory was triggered directly by abandoning it. Nor do I believe Hanse Davion had already ordered it taken, and that the equipment got out in the nick of time."

Jaime, impressed, asked "Why?" and poured himself a glass of water and offered one to Dechan, who took it.

"It sets a dangerous precedent. The Federated Suns is just as militant as the Draconis Combine, but its economy is far more open. They deal openly with every nation, even the Confederation and Combine. With their economy as it is, and with ComStar's 'Exclusion' still in place, seizing one factory line for more 'Mechs to replace Quentin or Marduk doesn't make sense."

Dechan paused and sipped, considering his next words. "I don't believe Hanse Davion did this at all. Shipping parts from New Avalon also doesn't make sense."

Jaime nodded for the major to continue, digesting the man's insight.

"New Valencia is three jumps away from the Combine border. Four jumps with the one-jump gap both sides are sticking to, amazingly enough. That's still not that far for the DCMS to strike it." Dechan finished his glass then poured more water into it. "The Blackwell facilitiy there's partnered with General Motors, right sir?"

When Jaime nodded, the young man continued. "Kathil. It's the only other reliable source of equipment for a Marauder line, and I doubt Hanse Davion moved thousands of tons of equipment in the hopes of replacing lost ones. No, someone was planning an expansion after seizing the plant in the first place."

"Who?"

"I don't know, sir."

General Wolf nodded. Impressed, though concerned at the intuitive leaps the major made, he was still mostly impressed. It feels right. And so does this...

"Thank you, major. That was most helpful. Please stay a moment, I want you to meet someone."

The major nodded at him and Jaime turned to his comm. "Lt. Darnell Winningham report to my office at once," he said, trusting the commtechs to relay the order through properly.

The young officer entered minutes later, obviously having run most of the way to the general's makeshift office. He saluted crisply and stood at ease at Jaime's command.

Jaime Wolf rose, pressed down on a button that sealed the room tightly. An echo, a buzz, at the edge of hearing murmured around them; the white noise generator affecting biological and electronic spying tools.

"Major Dechan Fraser, I'd like you to meet my son, Mackenzie Wolf. Mackenzie, this is your new commanding officer."

« Last Edit: 22 April 2013, 13:06:00 by Marwynn »

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #385 on: 22 April 2013, 10:54:38 »
Way to keep us hanging there, but I want to know what was up with the shoot up?  ;)

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #386 on: 22 April 2013, 12:57:15 »
The major nodded at him and Jaime turned to his comm. "Lt. Darnell Winningham report to my office at once," he said, trusting the commtechs to relay the order through properly.

The young captain entered minutes later, obviously having run most of the way to the general's makeshift office. He saluted crisply and stood at ease at Jaime's command.

Damn, the Dragoons promote quick. Who says nepotism isn't useful?
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #387 on: 22 April 2013, 13:07:01 »
Haha, thanks for catching that!  O0

I had him as a Captain initially, but it looks like he got promoted to that (canonically) only after joining the Black Widow Battalion. So, he's a lieutenant.

And I do love to tease.  ^-^

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #388 on: 23 April 2013, 02:20:53 »
Next post he'll be a General. :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #389 on: 23 April 2013, 09:25:52 »
Oh maybe not this post...

==============================================

Wolfsden, Nirasaki
1 August 3029

Lt. Anton Shadd coughed up blood and dust as he woke.

His ears were still ringing, but he could feel the little impacts of debris still falling all around. Training served and saved him then, and he ran to cover just as streaks slammed into where he fell. He fired his blazer pistol, tracing the shots back to their source, then Anton dove behind a wall and kept running.

The Wolfsden was meant to be a separate, civilian facility for the Wolf's Dragoons. It wouldn't tower over the mercenary halls that were only just filling with veterans from shattered units across the Sphere. Just the first of hopefully many mercenary headquarters, although built with a unique design and some structural reinforcements for emergencies

No one had expected this.

He had a few moments to think as the gunners sent controlled bursts along his path. The angle of the weapons fire meant a VTOL or a WiGE, firing through the torn open corner of the building, but the grade of weapons meant it was a civilian or a primary transport model. If 'Mech-grade anti-personnel weapons were trained on him, no amount of training could've saved him.

Anton took a look behind at what had been the brig.

The demo charges had been placed outside, shaped to funnel their explosions inwards. It allowed for teams to burst right in, cut the plasteel cage apart, and steal their prize. The second detonation was meant to handle their response teams, and had knocked him out.

He noted it all down on his commlink, typing it in and bursting it up the chain. As the head of a Seventh Kommando Platoon he had few superiors and all needed to know what he was seeing.

The VTOL flew overhead, scattering the haze of smoke and dust away as it landed on the roof. The gunners had given up hunting for him and he resisted the urge to take potshots at them. The Karnov was used by everyone, the tilt-rotor design was known to be sturdy and easy to maintain. That wouldn't narrow down their list of attackers.

He could feel firefights deeper within the Wolfsden, and Anton scrabbled towards a hidden weapons locker and tapped in the release codes. He holstered the blazer pistol and took up a laser carbine and a strap of various grenades.

There weren't a lot of bodies, and he was slightly thankful that the attack came at midnight when most of the civilians were well away. Only a skeleton guard was present; even the general had headed home for the night. Their attackers had planned well, hoping to overwhelm the security as they made their way to their exfil point on the roof.

Anton admired the simplicity of it all, and would have wagered their attackers would've mowed over even Dragoon infantry guards. Tonight's security team, however, were all from Seventh Kommando.

He saw the first dead as he entered the lobby. Swathed in featureless black armour, the visor was shattered by a heavy caliber bullet. The assault team had planned to face light infantry weapons, and had suited up for mobility. Two more had paid the price for that decision, and Anton stepped over them quickly as he traced the firefight to the stairs.

The spiral staircases, gleaming white just minutes ago, were now blackened and torn as the Seventh Kommando's firepower tore apart the attackers. Anton counted a full platoon making their way up.

His team had to give ground to delay the attackers, but another black-clad squad was making their way down from the roof. They did the wise thing and got off the third floor, sniping at both groups behind the only heavy cover in the open area that formed the heart of the Wolfsden.

The attackers had settled in, whittling down the ferro-crete with precise shots. Anton killed two with a burst from his carbine then hurled a stun grenade amongst them. He ducked back into hiding, watching how their attackers responded.

They recovered quickly, leaving the dead behind, and taking up the stunned, who they protected and dragged along, as they continued up the stairs.

He glimpsed their prize blazing away with her heavy pistol until the momentum carried her up.

Anton let them go. He leaned against an information kiosk, oddly untouched in the firefight, and tapped again into his commlink. The dead bodies would be trapped, he knew, and he needed to alert the less aware.

The assault was long finished by the time medics had arrived to tend to him. The fantastic Dragoon medtechs had trauma equipment that could handle the worst of today's battlefields, and Anton waited patiently for the foam to fill up his ears to protect and begin repairing his eardrums.

He accepted a cup of water and obeyed as a medtech ordered him to sit as they ran scans on him. Anton let them fuss over him but he waved them off as the lobby doors opened.

LT. Anton Shadd saluted as General Wolf arrived and held it until it was returned, right when Jaime Wolf was right on him.

He tapped his ears when the general began to speak, and the older man nodded his understanding. Jaime took the commlink from Anton's hands and typed.

'Report.'

Anton erased the message then typed, 'No fatalities. Some injured. We killed eleven. Natasha has escaped.'

Jaime digested the short messages then returned the link.

'Well done.'

« Last Edit: 23 April 2013, 09:29:07 by Marwynn »

Register