Author Topic: can mechs turn their head independant of the centre torso ?  (Read 2878 times)

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
for the mechs that are most humanoid in shape, ie Grasshopper, Phoenixhawk, Black Knight, can they turn their head independant of the centre torso ?

some of these are depicted in either artwork, mini or both as having the head turned to one side or the other.  Is this just artist interpretation or an actual ability ?

Obviously mechs like the Rifleman, Stalker, Zeus are locked into which ever way the CT is facing.  I know that in all cases the head is restricted to the forward firing arc regardless of being able to turn or not.

just curious.
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: can mechs turn their head independant of the centre torso ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2011, 11:47:22 »
for the mechs that are most humanoid in shape, ie Grasshopper, Phoenixhawk, Black Knight, can they turn their head independant of the centre torso ?

[edit] Deleted. No, I cannot find the rules for head turns/twists. I may have been misremembering rules for head turrets, which are only available on 'Mechs with torso-mounted cockpits.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2011, 18:10:46 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2011, 05:38:39 »
thank you Cray.

so mech can torso twist for a one hex facing change and can then independantly twist the head again to get a two hex facing change for the head only.

am I understanding this correctly ?

Yes, I did have this question come up in a game from an oponent.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2011, 06:14:54 »
I retract my claim. I can't find the rule.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2011, 18:11:04 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2011, 02:23:21 »
Hello Cray,

thank you for your efforts and responses.

Looks like artistic license on the part of artists and sculpters alike.

if it comes up again I'll use the standard " what ever works for your game" resolution. ( as I did the first time)

cheers

Register