Author Topic: laser colors and placement for new wolverine / griffin  (Read 2636 times)

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
laser colors and placement for new wolverine / griffin
« on: 24 November 2019, 16:35:40 »
Hi. So! I'm finishing up my beginner box mechs and this is the first time I'm painting gems on the lasers. The Wolverine's record sheet has the medium laser in the head, right? But the sculpt seems to put it in the center torso. Should I just get over it? Am I misreading the sculpt?

Also, the Griffin has the large and medium lasers in the right arm, but only the large laser seems apparent (it's the gun thing?). So I guess I'll just paint the large laser.

What colors does everyone use for lasers? From computer games, I assume:

red: small
green: medium
blue: large

Right?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: laser colors and placement for new wolverine / griffin
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2019, 17:55:21 »
It's what I use.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2019, 18:03:09 »
I use green for lasers because I use blue for PPCs, and tip missiles in red.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2019, 20:04:13 »
Whatever looks right.  Mostly go for a different color from the overall paint, so a blue Mech would probably get red lasers while a red one would get green lasers.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2019, 20:20:21 »
I do PPC’s blue fading into white.

Large lasers= green
Medium laser = red
Small laser= orange
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2019, 22:11:55 »

Right?
That's what I use for mine.  To disinguish between the large lasers and PPCs, I use a dark blue with some ultramarine blue for the large lasers, and sky blue with white for the PPCs.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 24 November 2019, 22:32:39 »
Whatever looks right.  Mostly go for a different color from the overall paint, so a blue Mech would probably get red lasers while a red one would get green lasers.

This is close to my MO. I do usually stick with a light blue effect for PPCs, but otherwise will adjust laser colours depending on paint scheme. Don't really want to do up some SoL 'Mechs and then load them with red lasers... Even leaving out blue, you've got another 5 colours to work with, and should have something that will contrast. Even with the Sian Dragoons (scheme based around red and green), I had yellow for mediums, orange for smalls, and purple for larges. Mediums were the most common, making them the choice with the highest contrast.

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #7 on: 24 November 2019, 22:51:33 »
Thanks everyone! I'll do my best; they are REALLY small.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2019, 16:18:39 »
I was under the impression that standard and ER lasers were red and pulse lasers were green.  I don't know what heavy lasers are.  PPC's are blue around the edge with a white core.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2019, 16:29:58 »

Also, the Griffin has the large and medium lasers in the right arm, but only the large laser seems apparent (it's the gun thing?). So I guess I'll just paint the large laser.

The Griffin mini represents the 1N version, so the visible weapons are a PPC and LRM 10. But BattleTech isn't a WYSIWYG game so it's not hugely important.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2019, 18:41:47 »
For about the last decade I've done;

Small => Green
Medium => Red
Large => Purple

PPC => Blue

I prefer consistency of color so you always know what the weapon is (although as previously stated, BattleTech is not WYSIWYG), and I only jewel the laser if it is about to fire (Think "Moment it time", where the pilot isn't Alpha striking but selecting weapons to hit a specific target)... Two good examples are my TDR-5SS Thunderbolts. One is using it's PPC, the other Flamer/x3 Medium Laser/SRM-6. Even if I hadn't reposed them, the difference in what I painted would have helped to make each unique.

Caz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2019, 18:59:35 »
That sounds really interesting... you wouldn't happen to have any pics of those two, would you?   8)

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #12 on: 25 November 2019, 21:13:08 »
The Griffin mini represents the 1N version, so the visible weapons are a PPC and LRM 10. But BattleTech isn't a WYSIWYG game so it's not hugely important.

AH that makes sense. I have decided on lavender anyway, since the Griffin in question is a glorious and ridiculous gold.

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #13 on: 27 November 2019, 22:34:48 »
I have simplified the use of 2 colors, red for lasers and blue for PPC, but I often forget to paint them.

calendraug

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2019, 13:19:12 »
I use blue fading to white for PPC's , Red or green for lasers depending on colour scheme, orange for heavy lasers and yellow for missiles.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2019, 10:56:44 »
Recently was wondering this myself and wanted to go with what the video games use . . . but its been a while since I fired up any but HBS, lol and I did not pay much attention!  The colors match this bit I got from MW4 so far, but IIRC the Large is blue?  Anyone recall if that matches MW3 or MW2?  For some reason I seem to recall MW2 had Larges as Green.

PPC-Blue/White
Large Lasers-
Medium Lasers- Green
Small Laser- Red
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #16 on: 07 December 2019, 01:35:59 »
I thought MW2 used blue for the large? That's what I remember.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2020, 12:29:29 »

Right?
Huh!  Its probably been ten years since I played any of the MW games, but regardless of that I thought most people varied by weapon type?

Red - Lasers
Green - Pulse Lasers
Blue - PPCs
etc.

FWIW That's the way I've been painting mine.  ???
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 26 February 2020, 12:54:54 »
Size and type of laser made it vary . . . IIRC, when MW4 introduced X-Pulse, they were all red . . . green was med lasers though perhaps all pulse were green as well with the visual ques of course being different.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2020, 12:57:43 »
MW4 had red for IS standard and pulse lasers, blue for X-pulses, green for Clan lasers.

(And that's how i prefer it, with slight addition of IS ER lasers being blue.)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2020, 13:44:36 »
Guess I am going to have to fire it up and get to the point I can use the X-Pulse, because what I found was cited for MW4.  Of course, it may have also been a difference between expansions.
Colt Ward

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2020, 23:02:38 »
The Wolverine's record sheet has the medium laser in the head, right? But the sculpt seems to put it in the center torso. Should I just get over it? Am I misreading the sculpt?

On older Wolverine minis, the medium laser was in a chin turret, i.e. right under the head, because it was an adaptation of the Fang of the Sun: Dougram Abitate T-10B/T-10C Blockhead.  I'm not sure why the redesigned Wolverine moved it off to the side (legal reasons? artist preference?), but it's close enough to the head to count.

Could be worse.  The Orion's Technical Readout description says its SRM-4 is in the left arm, where the art and some of the miniatures appear to show an SRM-6 (the text description explains that away), but the record sheet has it in the left torso. 

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 26 February 2020, 23:04:27 »
Guess I am going to have to fire it up and get to the point I can use the X-Pulse, because what I found was cited for MW4.  Of course, it may have also been a difference between expansions.
Right, i was thnking mw4mercs. Xpulses were added in black knight and included in mercs.