Poll

Which comes out on top, the assault or the heavy?

Warhawk D wins most of the time
15 (51.7%)
Warhawk D has a slight advantage
9 (31%)
About even
2 (6.9%)
Grand Summoner A has a slight advantage
3 (10.3%)
Grand Summoner A wins most of the time
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Fight Night: Warhawk D vs Grand Summoner A  (Read 2239 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Fight Night: Warhawk D vs Grand Summoner A
« on: 25 March 2020, 19:24:03 »
Once again, two deadly Clan designs with nearly identical BVs (2474 vs 2473). In a one-on-one fight, assuming 3/4 Clan pilots, which one do you put your C-bills on to come out on top?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Fight Night: Warhawk D vs Grand Summoner A
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2020, 19:35:24 »
Going with Falcon Power here - just. The Warhawk D is heavier, has more armour & IS to clear, but the Grand Summoner has jump-jets, and greater speed. Unless duelling on a ping-pong table, and with a patient pilot, the Grand Summoner has the edge.

The Warhawk's loadout is ... interesting, but lacks the headcapping potential. it'll hurt if it connects, so the GS' pilot's job is not to let it.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2020, 20:55:35 »
The Masakari has about twice the firepower at most range as the Thor II.  Combined with having a targeting computer for its lasers and autocannon, it's just going to be hitting a lot harder on most rounds.  Unless the Thor II has a lot of easily exploitable terrain, it will get pummeled.
« Last Edit: 25 March 2020, 21:33:17 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2020, 21:24:02 »
The Masikari has about twice the firepower at most range as the Thor II.  Combined with having a targeting computer for its lasers and autocannon, it's just going to be hitting a lot harder on most rounds.  Unless the Thor II has a lot of easily exploitable terrain, it will get pummeled.

Don't really have more to add here. If the Warhawk stands still and just shoots, the Thor II will be in trouble - the TargComp on the Warhawk will always give it better to-hit numbers, and there's no range band the Thor II can exploit to gain the upper hand. The Warhawk also has better crit-padding and endurance.

Barring lucky shots, the Warhawk wins unless the Thor II manages a good backstab.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2020, 23:16:41 »
The Warhawk has more firepower, armor, and heat dissipation (though it has greater need for the latter as well).  The Grand Summoner’s only consistent advantage is mobility, though it does also possess the only headcapper on the field.  I’d expect the Warhawk to win most of the time.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2020, 01:19:16 »
Actually, it has more heat dissapation than it needs unless the birdie gets in close and you are holding down the double tap . . . beyond 6 hexes and being careful with the UAC/10?  You can suffer a engine crit, run and still be confortable- but they DO give it good padding.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2020, 07:13:58 »
It all comes down to terrain. Generally open and the Masakari wins most of the time. Restricted sight-lines favor the Thor II.
I have spoken.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2020, 10:29:17 »
It all comes down to terrain. Generally open and the Masakari wins most of the time. Restricted sight-lines favor the Thor II.

Huh?  Unless I am seeing something wrong even restricted sightlines will not help- the cERLLs have a short range of 8 which is greater than the ERPPC, LRM or LB-10X.  If the Grand DOES get closer it also opens itself up for HE rounds in the ATM- otherwise it is probably throwing Stds.  The Grand can get a max of 45 points damage if it all hits . . . Warhawk D can get 58 with Std rounds and no ERSL- if the Grand jumps to 6 hexes where all its weapons are at short and the Warhawk did not move, the jumping Grand has 6s to hit w/o cluster while the Warhawk has 5s for everything but the ERSL (9) and 8s for HE ATMs (27 damage if all hit).  The Warhawk also has the chance of punching with four 10 point hits . . . the Grand is going to be sanding off with the LRM scatter.  Being crit packed it if does manage to get internal its less likely to cause damage than the Grand might take.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2020, 10:59:24 »
Actually, it has more heat dissapation than it needs unless the birdie gets in close and you are holding down the double tap . . . beyond 6 hexes and being careful with the UAC/10?  You can suffer a engine crit, run and still be confortable- but they DO give it good padding.
Yeah, heat isn't really a factor for either.  The Warhawk at a running alpha makes 40 and sinks 40, unless I'm doing the math wrong.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2020, 11:22:50 »
Forgetting double tap?  But that is fine IMO b/c it is covered by not firing the ERSL.  How much does the Grand sink, I could find weapons (ugh, mismatched LRMs) but not sinks.
Colt Ward

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2020, 11:29:55 »
Nope, that's counting the double tap.  2xRLL=24, ERSl=2, ATM9=6, 2xUAC10=6, Run=2  24+2+6+6+2=40.
Sunrise is Coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2020, 11:39:22 »
Ok, I knew I counted it up last night while actually looking at the Warhawk's HMP entry.
Colt Ward

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2020, 12:46:15 »
Going for the Warhawk here. The Summoner pilot has to be better, has to play smarter, every fight short of a lucky head cap in order to win.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #13 on: 29 March 2020, 16:15:41 »
Huh?  Unless I am seeing something wrong even restricted sightlines will not help- the cERLLs have a short range of 8 which is greater than the ERPPC, LRM or LB-10X.  If the Grand DOES get closer it also opens itself up for HE rounds in the ATM- otherwise it is probably throwing Stds.  The Grand can get a max of 45 points damage if it all hits . . . Warhawk D can get 58 with Std rounds and no ERSL- if the Grand jumps to 6 hexes where all its weapons are at short and the Warhawk did not move, the jumping Grand has 6s to hit w/o cluster while the Warhawk has 5s for everything but the ERSL (9) and 8s for HE ATMs (27 damage if all hit).  The Warhawk also has the chance of punching with four 10 point hits . . . the Grand is going to be sanding off with the LRM scatter.  Being crit packed it if does manage to get internal its less likely to cause damage than the Grand might take.

Restricted sight lines give the Thor a better chance to use it's superior mobility to flank.
I have spoken.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #14 on: 29 March 2020, 16:58:28 »
Unless it's on a map with abnormally restricted line of sight (and the Masakari can't find a level 3 hill to climb), the Thor is not going to have an easy time avoiding line of sight until it can get a back shot).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 06 April 2020, 18:33:29 »
WarHawk-D in a landslide.

That thing is so "under-BV'd" compared to the other Walking Death Machine Warhawks.

I think the Summoner has 1 chance & that is find a whole bunch of heavy woods 5 hexes apart from each other.

Maybe that way it could keep the to hit #s high but the Hawk is going to pound it into scrap.   I love that thing.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

massey

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2020, 11:18:53 »
Maybe if the Thor carried smoke rounds in the LRM-5 and used that to help block LOS, it would have a chance.  Still it's hoping for lucky head hits.