Author Topic: (slightly Early) Mech of the Week - Rifleman IIC  (Read 19044 times)

Kidd

• Major
Re: (slightly Early) Mech of the Week - Rifleman IIC
« Reply #30 on: 03 October 2016, 22:58:17 »
Mechs do have small glass canopies as referenced many times in the fiction, but they also have camera screens which ought to be sufficient to cover most if not all blind spots. Its just a matter of getting used to aiming via cameras, no more different than reverse parking cameras or Cornershot devices I imagine

StrOf10kBabies

• Recruit
« Reply #31 on: 05 February 2019, 23:24:03 »
Bumping this because this beauty finally made it to MW:O. Look's like it got some hard point increases. The IIC-1 now has 3 energy hard points in each arm, while the IIC-2 now has 3 ballistic hard points in each as well. The IIC-A looks very promising and pretty interesting.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #32 on: 06 February 2019, 02:42:18 »

Yeah thats pretty darn stunning looking.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 06 February 2019, 03:11:33 »
Looking at it, it reminds me more of the Galahad than the Rifleman IIC.  Though the radar dish now screams either "Imperial Probe Droid" or "Shugenja."
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #34 on: 06 February 2019, 03:47:28 »
I disagree. Besides the arms I find myself wondering how that got past the lawyers?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #35 on: 06 February 2019, 04:29:15 »
I disagree. Besides the arms I find myself wondering how that got past the lawyers?
I thought that HG had been told by the courts to 'foxtrot oscar' in regards to this so basically they can't make screaming goat noises about the design and have no claim over it.  So the unseen are now the reseen, and this is a reseen Rifleman IIC.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: 06 February 2019, 04:32:26 »
I thought that HG had been told by the courts to 'foxtrot oscar' in regards to this so basically they can't make screaming goat noises about the design and have no claim over it.  So the unseen are now the reseen, and this is a reseen Rifleman IIC.

Besides, other than gross similarities, this looks nothing like the Macross Defender destroid...

Or are you meaning in comparison to the original Rifleman IIC, which was unseen due to being "not-Fasa" artwork?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 06 February 2019, 06:56:59 »
Inaccurate.

HG dropped their case, the court has made no judgement at all regarding the status of the intellectual property in question. It is probable that the agreement made precludes HG making caprine noises regarding the subject of that particular case, there's nothing stopping them from emitting aforesaid noises regarding other things, images, etc which are perceived to violate what is still nominally "their" intellectual property.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #38 on: 06 February 2019, 07:15:42 »
Inaccurate.

HG dropped their case, the court has made no judgement at all regarding the status of the intellectual property in question. It is probable that the agreement made precludes HG making caprine noises regarding the subject of that particular case, there's nothing stopping them from emitting aforesaid noises regarding other things, images, etc which are perceived to violate what is still nominally "their" intellectual property.
Super.....
It's not dead yet. 

I think that new MWO-Classic Rifleman IIC is ok,  i always knew that the radar dish on the head rotated, or it was intended to.  This version doesn't seem to be setup like that.  I do wonder if we will ever get classic version of this guy.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #39 on: 06 February 2019, 08:04:13 »
Ladies and gentlemen, please cease discussion of that lawsuit.  Absent another actual legal case, bringing it back up only hijacks threads and stirs up old feelings of ill-will.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #40 on: 06 February 2019, 10:04:02 »
Yeah, I am going to go with Ogre and saying its more Galahad with the table on the head.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 06 February 2019, 11:12:54 »
Definitively has elements from the original Rifleman IIC art. The legs have similar armor pieces and the toes are smaller and less spread out versions. The groin/waist "belt" is similar as well. The torso has less similarities, there's definitively some resemblance to the Glass Spider but more so on the MWO Rifleman. The arms look like mix of MWO Rifleman and the Glass  Spider more so than the original Rifleman IIC art.

Kind of like it, despite not usually liking MWO art. Or more specifically, MWO art usually looks kind of good if not quite BattleTech, it is just that the final in-game models tend to be far, far worse... never forgave PGI what they did with the Centurion! (Perhaps one case where i really like MWO art more than the original, which is kinda bland.)

---

Never got around on commenting the 'Mech itself. And the judgment is: bleh.
The original art is neat but i dislike the 'Mech itself immensely. Basically a pure pulse boat, the only way it'd be worse would be to slap TarComp on it. Don't want to drive it, wouldn't want to play against it.
Variants aren't really any better.
2: I like autocannons, i like dakka, i like when something has excessive amount of dakka, but 4xUAC/2 and nothing else is just nonsense. At least the Mauler looks awesome and has other weapons, this one doesn't have those redeeming qualities. (The Bane and Bane 2, despite looking ugly as hell, do the dakka thing much better to boot.)
And the new art for later variants isn't particularly great, even though i kind of like the "Project Phoenix" aesthetic overall.
3: Heavy lasers, with or without TarComp are fun for their high damage to tonnage ratio but... did they have to be paired with those UAC/2s and low mobility?
4: Not feeling this one. Better than 3 certainly, but still too slow.
5: IJJs, so not for me at all. Dislike those things function and mass, besides i'm not generally a jumper sort anyhow (unless it is for attempted DFA, keyword being attempted).
6: Still too slow, though gets some points for its absurd firepower for something with only two real guns. Very Riflemanish, really.
7: IJJs, pass.
8: The mobile one after the 2, and better at it. Not really sold on it though. The weapon mix makes it a generalist, it can deal with vehicles, with infantry, with aircraft, with 'Mechs, and so it doesn't really feel like a Rifleman anymore.

All in all, i don't think most variants are necessarily bad but it ain't a 'Mech i care for.

StrOf10kBabies

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 06 February 2019, 11:17:31 »
Yeah, I am going to go with Ogre and saying its more Galahad with the table on the head.
I'm pretty happy with the size of it's radar dish. I was afraid that they were going to go with the ridiculously small reseen dish, but Alex nailed it IMO. People were suggesting over on the forums that they should include a larger radar dish as an optional bolt on for the mech. Having a larger radar dish would seep into it's side torso hit boxes hence why it's smaller.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 06 February 2019, 11:34:11 »
Not a big fan of the above art. Notice it turns a radar rotodome into "I has a table on my head just because". That's a big step away from making design sense.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #44 on: 06 February 2019, 12:04:57 »

For me I would like it as a mini, as it looks a lot better then my older Rifleman IICs.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #45 on: 06 February 2019, 12:17:15 »
Well IF we get a BT version I am willing to say the dish maybe larger though not a Glass Spider table-on-head size since it will not be restricted by the software requirements.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #46 on: 09 February 2019, 06:45:07 »
Not a big fan of the above art. Notice it turns a radar rotodome into "I has a table on my head just because". That's a big step away from making design sense.
Ever looked at modern jet fighter/fighterbomber RADAR sets or a modern submarines(at least NATO submarines) main SONAR's? The outer cover doesn't move, but that's just the outer cover... the RADAR/SONAR inside does move. All the time actually.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 09 February 2019, 14:03:15 »
Radar domes (like, say, the E-3's) don't have piles of other sensors sticking off of them.  There's at least three separate doodads in there that break up the visual.  Really, what it more looks like to me is a Rifleman with an Imperial Probe Droid for a head.

Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 09 February 2019, 23:00:01 »

The outer cover doesn't move, but that's just the outer cover... the RADAR/SONAR inside does move. All the time actually.
I don't know of any such aircraft. AFAIK either it rotates or it doesn't.

The E-3 Sentry based aircraft radars do indeed rotate the entire dish assembly.

AESA-equipped aircraft radars in which the radar is fixed and electronically "rotated", aren't usually shaped like a dish because it's no longer necessary. E.g. the E-7 "Wedgetail" or Saab Globaleye.

The bits and pieces mounted on that depiction of the Rifleman's dish implies it's not a rotating radar dish. So it looks like the Rifleman just has a dish on its head for fun.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 09 February 2019, 23:21:12 »
I was thinking the arms and dome look very Tau-like from 40k
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #50 on: 09 February 2019, 23:29:00 »
I was thinking the arms and dome look very Tau-like from 40k
Funny, the Tau's appeal to me because they are very BattleTech-y
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 09 February 2019, 23:31:25 »
it works both ways
wondering how well epic tau might be useable in BT  >:D
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 10 February 2019, 11:22:05 »
My favorite refit (Blood Spirit style) is quad ER Larges and ECM with rest of weight in DHS. Or did I put in a targeting computer? It was long time ago I can't remember now.

Semi serious question did the spirits have at least one or several laser production facilities? It is such a common feature of their arsenal I would think they would be cranking those out non stop..

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #53 on: 10 February 2019, 11:26:59 »
I don't see how they possibly couldn't have.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #54 on: 11 February 2019, 08:27:30 »
AESA-equipped aircraft radars in which the radar is fixed and electronically "rotated", aren't usually shaped like a dish because it's no longer necessary. E.g. the E-7 "Wedgetail" or Saab Globaleye.

Yup. IIRC, it's called "beamforming" but I could be wrong.

The bits and pieces mounted on that depiction of the Rifleman's dish implies it's not a rotating radar dish. So it looks like the Rifleman just has a dish on its head for fun.

Hey, it got drunk at a party and lost a bet. Now it has to wear a lampshade on its head. ;)

Seriously I could see that "probe droid" looking radome working as a targeting drone/forward observer for the Rifleman. It would detach and fly around like a quadcopter. That could be cool.
« Last Edit: 11 February 2019, 08:29:07 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #55 on: 14 February 2019, 19:57:09 »
Semi serious question did the spirits have at least one or several laser production facilities? It is such a common feature of their arsenal I would think they would be cranking those out non stop..
holy crap what a blast from past. Yeah ER Large, LRM 15, and SRM 4 seems to be the most common ordinance in addition to Heavy lasers and UAC.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Register