Author Topic: Mech of the Week: CRB-* Crab  (Read 14637 times)

Getz

• Warrant Officer
Mech of the Week: CRB-* Crab
« on: 16 November 2018, 09:26:40 »

Entering service in 2719, Cosara Weaponries CRB-27 very nearly became the standard medium mech of the SLDF despite production delays and competition from Blue Shot’s rival Starslayer design.  Obviously the Amaris civil war put an end to that, but in its prior fifty years of service the Crab proved itself to be a reliable and dependable machine.  Cheap too at a little over 4 million C-bills, which combined with its legendary toughness and ease of repair may well be why the SLDF liked it so much even though there isn’t a lot of advanced technology incorporated into the basic design.

The chassis is conventional, as is the 250 rated fusion engine that can push it along at 85 km/h - which is a respectable speed for the era - but where the Crab does dip into the Star League toy box is its shell.  Nine tons of ferro-fibrous armour form the carapace, which is almost as much as can be carried by chassis.  The centre torso can withstand an AC 20 burst while the side torsos can shrug off two large laser hits without going internal.  Meanwhile the rear armour is characteristically strong for a Star League mech, being able to resist at least a medium pulse laser and a large laser in the centre torso.  Particular attention has been paid to protecting the limbs, which all carry the maximum protection.  This makes a certain degree of sense as it protects the machine's mobility and there’s only so much you can do with a 50 ton chassis, but the fact the side torsos can be shot out by three PPC hits makes me wince a bit and I would be inclined to move a little of the armour from rear plates and legs to guard against that.

For weapons the Crab sports a head mounted small laser, a medium laser buried in the centre torso and - hidden within a protective claw - a large laser in each arm.  During the Star league Crabs apparently lacked proper hand actuators limiting their ability as raiders, however these were subsequently made available through upgrade kits.  The reliance on lasers gives the Crab a respectable punch for its size and frees it from resupply, but keeping all that firepower frosty places serious demands on the cooling array.  The Crab carries sixteen conventional heat sinks, but that’s still only enough to cover the main guns.  Six of the sinks are mounted outside the engine and most of them are installed in the legs, so if you can find some water to wade through you can move and use your weapons a bit more aggressively.  The other two are shared across the side torsos.  If this warload has an obvious weakness, it’s a lack of flexibility.  Whilst the pure energy battery certainly gives the Crab a nasty nip there’s no real crit-seeking going on, nor any ability to use alternative munitions or fire modes limiting you to slugging it out in a direct fire duel.

A final noteworthy feature is the Dalban Series K communications suite and 650 RND targeting systems.  State of the art at the height of the Star League, these integrated systems harnessed limited AI to give a Crab pilot unparalleled tactical and strategic awareness.

“But wait,” I hear you cry, “is that really the best the Star League could do?”  Of course not, and the Royal regiments got a brutally optimised upgrade to the basic Crab.  The difference between a CRB-27 and a CRB-27b is relatively slight, they have the same engine, structure and armour and mostly the same weapons, which are laid out in the same way.  All they’ve done is upgrade the large lasers to extended range models and replaced the original heat sinks with double strength models - these being laid out slightly differently with one in each arm and two in each side torso.  That’s it, you could perform the upgrade easily in a mech bay if you wanted (and doubtless many techs did once the technologies became common again in the 3050s) but hoo-boy does it make a difference…

No Crab runs really hot, but this one is ice cold – oversinked even.  You can take an engine hit and run around with the large lasers set to continuous beam spam and the heat gauge still won’t budge a millimetre.  Even serious engine damage will hardly slow down your long ranged fire.  Couple that with the extra critical padding endowed by those double heat sinks and the CRB-27b can be a serious pest to put down.  Also, thanks to those extended range lasers this Crab isn’t a medium ranged fighter any more.  570 metres isn’t a massive distance, even back in the Star League, but no introtech weapon with comparable range comes without a minimum range to fuss about with and the medium and short ranged brackets mean you can try and hold favourable range increments over machines armed with PPCs and light autocannons.  You also have much more concentrated damage than machines armed with the equivalent mass of long ranged missiles.  Only the bleeding edge ER PPC competes well for range and firepower and how many twenty-eighth century mechs were armed with those that weren’t in the Royal regiments?  In the era when it was created, facing machines that were mostly equipped with low tech weapons and heat sinks, this enemy Crab would have been a giant problem to face.

The CRB-27b was widespread enough to soldier on into the early succession wars in the service of the Free Worlds League and Capellan Confederation, where I suspect component attrition would have quickly left any survivors functionally identical to the CRB-27.  However, most of these durable and effective machines left the Inner Sphere on the exodus and have served the Clans ever since. More recently the specifications of the CRB-27b were discovered in the New Dallas Memory Core and it appears that subsequently every Inner Sphere faction that still have Crabs in their ToE have refitted the majority of their extant machines to this standard.

Circa 2750, a second advanced Crab variant saw service with the SLDF.  The CRB-27sl took the radical step of fitting an extra light engine, sacrificing both durability and cost for war load, but otherwise retains the armour and structure of the CRB-27.  All the lasers are upgraded to their pulse equivalents except the small laser with instead is replaced with a conventional medium piece and this time there are fourteen double heat sinks.  Finally, the machine gains five jump jets.  Obviously this machine wants to get in your face and jump around just outside touching distance whilst cutting you up with accurate laser fire.  It’s also a pretty nice scout hunter and good at fending off back stabbers, so long as you’re not asking it to chase down anything too fast.  Compared to the 27b, the 27sl isn’t quite such a cool running machine, but walking alpha-strikes are still heat neutral and you’ll only have problems if you repeatedly leap around like Rudolf Nureyev while cutting loose with the entire energy battery and blaring Jean Michelle Jarre over the PA system.  Also unlike the CRB-27b, the 27sl never survived in the clan toumans nor made a come-back during the Jihad so it has been extinct since the fall of the Star League.  A shame – it’s a niche player but it’s a lot of fun to use.

Speaking of the fall of the Star League, the CRB-20 is what happens when you’ve got a Crab, but you can’t get your hands on Star League tech any more.  The Dalban tracking and communications systems were replaced by off the shelf Garret components and the ferro-fibrous armour has been replaced with an equal weight of standard plate.  Bearing in mind the ablative nature of battlemech armour, it is likely that any Crab that lasted for any length of time into the succession wars would quickly find itself reduced to the CRB-20 configuration.  It wouldn’t be long before all your original armour had been blasted off and replaced and even if your Dalban systems were still operational, simply finding spare parts for regular maintenance would be a bear so replacing them with quality parts you can keep working makes sense.

In order to mount that standard armour, quite a lot of protection had to go – the equivalent to almost a full ton of ferro-fibrous plate – and it’s been removed pretty evenly across the whole chassis.  A single gauss rifle hit will now go internal if it hits the arms or side torsos and centre torso armour has its protection reduced by 10%.  The back plates have been slightly thinned and the legs have had their protection reduced too, although they’re still proof against a class 20 autocannon with a little to spare.  All told, this is not ideal.  The original Crab armour array enabled it to resist two big hits to most locations without breaching and often a third with a few points of structure left, whereas with a CRB-20 it’s quite likely that that second hit is going internal and the third will see bits of your mech falling off.  I can’t help but feel they should have removed more armour from the legs and back in order to retain as much of the front facing torso armour as possible.  In fact, I think I would have preferred to lose a heat sink and tried to keep as much of the original protection scheme as I could irrespective of what it did to my heat curve.

All that being said, even in this diminished form the CRB-20 is a really solid machine, in fact it’s arguably the best medium mech of the succession wars.  Few of its medium weight competitors have more armour and those that do are either slower or outgunned.   You’d be one of a very privileged few if you had access to one before 3039, however, as by the end of the Fourth Succession War only about a hundred Crabs were still known to be operational.  Of course, Comstar managed to find a few thousand that they’d conveniently lost down the back of the sofa when it became time to provide military aid to the Draconis Combine.  Officially all the machines so delivered had been downgraded to the CRD-20 standard, but apparently a few in their original configuration slipped through the net and it would not have been hard at all for the DCMS to refit the rest (minus the Dalban computers) once the Combine got ferro-fibrous armour production back on line.

Speaking of which, as the Great Houses struggled to repel the Clan invaders, a distinctively Kuritan variant of the Crab would make an appearance.  A very minor variation on the CRB-27, the CRB-C merely removes the medium laser to make way for a C3 slave.  It’s a pity the Kuritans didn’t come up with a more complex upgrade that could add the slave without compromising firepower, but simplicity was obviously the name of the game here and this Crab makes for a wonderfully durable point man in a C3 lance.  The central position of the slave coupled with the Crab’s zombie nature means that without ECM it takes either an unlikely critical hit or the complete destruction of the mech to stop it from transmitting to the rest of its lance.

By the 3060’s the Inner Sphere had come up with some innovative ways to close the technological gap to the Clans and had Comstar devised the first really new Crab variant for a couple of centuries.  The CRB-30 beefs up the armament considerably by replacing the large lasers with Extended Range PPCs and the medium and small lasers are also given the extended range treatment.  A C3i computer occupies the right torso and a Guardian ECM system sits in the left, so this mech can either jam enemy electronics, set the system to counter-ECM and protect the integrity of its own network or in the absence of any other threat maybe try some ghost targeting to make itself that little bit harder to hit.  In order to accommodate all this extra hardware the engine has been replaced by a 250 XL unit and two heat sinks had to be dropped, although they are now double strength freezers.  This makes the CRB-30 the only Crab that can’t cover the entire heat of its two large energy cannons, however it still comes close enough that heat isn’t a major worry.  Whilst it is not as durable or heat efficient as most other Crab variants, as a member of a C3i formation the CRB-30 is a really formidable and versatile tool.  It is equally at home sniping at long range or taking point and thrusting into an area of network denial.  It is fast enough to provide some muscle to light forces and makes an economical over watch partner for heavy formations.  What it can’t do is take a really heavy beating and keep on transmitting like a CRB-C can.

Whilst the Word of Blake had access to the CRB-30, they clearly felt entitled to their own special hot-sauce version and the resulting CRB-45 is – different.  The engine has been bulked up to a 300 XL model making the CRB-45 the fastest machine in the family and whilst it has the usual standard structure, this Crab elects to mess with its shell - something only the CRB-20 had previously done – and mounts Heavy ferro-fibrous armour.  That sounds fantastic until you realise this was actually done to save weight and entailed a slight loss in protection.  However, by skimming armour off the legs and rear centre torso, the CRB-45 manages to slightly thicken the front torso facings and gives nothing away on the arms or head so this is arguably a superior armour configuration to the standard array – certainly I’ve always felt that the classic Crabs devoted a little too much protection to the rear arc and legs.

Like the CRB-30 the 45 mounts a C3i computer in the right torso, but the armament has otherwise been completely revised.  The centre line medium laser has been replaced with an extended range large model and the arms now sport light PPCs.  The small laser is gone and third light PPC replaces it, although this has been moved over the left torso in order to fit in.  There are fifteen double heat sinks this time, which makes this machine almost as frosty as the CRB-27b.  This is the only Crab with minimum ranges on any of its guns so by extension it’s the only Crab that would to prefer to stand off from the enemy a bit.  It does hit harder than any other Crab at long range so that’s not a problem, but none of the guns are really truly long ranged so it’s not the sniper that the CRB-30 is.  In fact, the armament very much resembles a lot of the energy configurations sported by the Celestial series omnimechs and needs to be used in a similar manner, which means team work and movement across the C3i network making up for the lack of absolute range.  Certainly, if you’ve just ripped massive hole in some poor sod with a Shootist ST-8C but they refused to die quickly, then a trio of LPPC and a Large Laser shot with C3 support from 540 metres away could be just the spice to finish the dish.

Broadly Crabs can be grouped into two sets, those with and without XL engines (incidentally, am I the only one that’s surprised that no one tried a light engined Crab?).  The machines with standard engines are all legendarily tough and allow a MechWarrior to fight their way free from the battlefield even with both torsos shot out.  However, because in practical terms there isn’t much variation between the CRB-20, 27, 27b and C it’s easy to declare the CRB-27b to be the pick of the bunch – it’s really just sublime so as long as it’s available and you’re not running a C3 network there is really no reason to use any other.  All these machines can be a serious a PitA to deal with as you really do need to core them out to stop them fighting, although once both arms are gone they only have a relatively modest amount of firepower to offer.  The XL engined Crabs are a slightly more diverse bunch, but in sacrificing durability they are much more “run of the mill” by the standards of post helm core medium mechs and strong armour aside, they are no harder to kill.

The Crab has soldiered on into the Dark ages in the armies of the Republic of the Sphere, the Draconis Combine and even the fragmented remains of the Free Worlds League.  Considering how durable and effective the basic design is, I imagine it will still be with us for a good long time to come.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2019, 12:16:55 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Darkwing

• Corporal
Re: Mech of the Week: CRB-* Crab
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2018, 10:25:43 »
As a ComGuard/WoB player the I have always leaned heavily on the crab. It's has never let me down. A reliable workhorse that does consistent damage, and because it doesn't scream "look at me" it's often overlooked on the battlefield for bigger targets of opportunity. As much as I loath the XL, and agree a light engine version would be amazing, I have had considerable success with the CRB-30. Play them in the mid field with units like the Red Shift calling shots over the C3i network and they become mini warhammers. All in all a phenomenal little unit. Great write up on a great unit!
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2018, 13:55:08 »
I always wondered why the 27b did not go with 12 DHS and 4 jump jets. A little more costly, but more maneuverable and better range with only a little more heat management.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2018, 09:26:07 by Robroy »

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2018, 14:53:50 »
Crab is great, looking forward to seeing it in the HBS game.

You are right, that it is a shame we never saw one with a LFE.  It would have made a better C3i spotter IMO than a XL mech, especially since the -30 cannot run and fire the two long range weapons without problems.

It is one of those mechs that IMO you cannot do too much to without making it 'not' a Crab like the topic on General.  Fast, well armored & robust, with a big energy club in each arm is IMO a Crab.  I am trying to ignore my usual 'put Snubs' or 'put Plasma Rifles' for the large lasers in the arms.  It could have had a interesting Solaris VII take if it had been given hardened.

The mini is a bit weird with how the legs go . . . put mine together and the plate still has a bit of space.  Its also missing its radar dish, little bit ended up knocked into the carpet so I will need to replace it with a MWDA mini-dish.  Going to be a ComStar mech of course.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2018, 15:26:57 »
As a ComGuard/WoB player the I have always leaned heavily on the crab. It's has never let me down. A reliable workhorse that does consistent damage, and because it doesn't scream "look at me" it's often overlooked on the battlefield for bigger targets of opportunity.

Of just over a dozen games played, where i used a crab, i certainly never felt 'let down' by it.  It's consistency made it a standard medium in my pick up games.. BUT it's mech appearance, was more of why i started using them.

As much as I loath the XL, and agree a light engine version would be amazing, I have had considerable success with the CRB-30. Play them in the mid field with units like the Red Shift calling shots over the C3i network and they become mini warhammers. All in all a phenomenal little unit. Great write up on a great unit!

I always thought, it could have done with upping it's engine to a 300 model vice just keeping it at a 250xl..  That way it could have sported a 6/9/6 movement profile..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2018, 15:37:06 »
The Crab is a great example of a mech that is supposedly rare, but by player choice ends up pretty much every where it can.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2018, 16:03:06 »
Really?  In my group it's typically only rolled out when someone's running Comstar or WoB.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2018, 16:13:05 »
Really?  In my group it's typically only rolled out when someone's running Comstar or WoB.

Sorry, I was really unclear. The Crab was supposed to be somewhat rare for the Star League. But anybody that uses a Star League (or Comstar) force almost always has one, or two, or a dozen. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

My Name Was Taken

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2018, 16:23:32 »
Solid, unspectacular trooper mech.  The Crab feels like a design that should have been the backbone of the SLDF.  I like pairing them with Trebuchets and Huron Warriors.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2018, 16:23:47 »
Sorry, I was really unclear. The Crab was supposed to be somewhat rare for the Star League. But anybody that uses a Star League (or Comstar) force almost always has one, or two, or a dozen.

*raises hand*

Guilty as charged. Three. In one lance, with a Kyudo as support. I love that formation.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2018, 16:32:37 »

Ah, that makes sense.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Nightsong

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2018, 17:27:44 »
With the fluff talking about how easy maintenance is on them, I admit that I would think there should actually be more out there, but attrition is what it is I suppose.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2018, 17:39:44 »
Lack of production coupled with popularity in combat makes for high attrition rates.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2018, 18:21:57 »
Thanks for the article. :)
Great mech. My only issue with it is that the design is extremely ugly.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2018, 18:50:50 »
It does succeed in looking a bit crab-like, though.  At the very least it resembles a crab a lot more than most of the other mechs of its era that were named after animals resemble their namesakes (like the Wasp or Phoenix Hawk).

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 16 November 2018, 19:32:58 »
The Crab provides the brutal simplicity that makes for a wonderful line 'mech. You get the speed to maneuver, the armor to stay in the fight, and two solid mid-range hits plus some reserve firepower for backup. It doesn't posses the flash of some other designs, but it is reliably effective in every game I've ever played it.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 16 November 2018, 20:40:51 »
Any particular reason someone couldn’t pick up production for this mech.  Merc, district, and non major actors would eagerly snap up this mech.  Nothing on the mech is special to preclude setting up a line.  Great mech for the Outworlds Alliance. Or Imperio Escorpio.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #17 on: 16 November 2018, 22:03:48 »
they were being built. on Northwind.
whether they were being built in anything resembling mass production on the otherhand is unknown.

the same company had a branch on Mars so it is possible it could have been built there as well.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2018, 23:12:50 by glitterboy2098 »

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 16 November 2018, 23:08:48 »
Any particular reason someone couldn’t pick up production for this mech.  Merc, district, and non major actors would eagerly snap up this mech.  Nothing on the mech is special to preclude setting up a line.  Great mech for the Outworlds Alliance. Or Imperio Escorpio.

Any reason to limit that to non-major actors?  The Suns might possibly be grotesquely flanderized to the point they'd pass on a good mech because it lacks autocannons, but I'd be surprised if the Cappies or Lyrans or FWL while they still existed wouldn't also eagerly snap them up and we know the Combine liked the ones they were given. 

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 16 November 2018, 23:56:27 »
Because the big boys would have their preference.  Lyrans love slapping a Guass rifle or big gun on anything that will fit.  FedSuns love Autocannons.  Wolves love ER PPCs.  But really the smaller forces would love a generalist mech to simplify logistics, and the Crab can be that one mech for everything a medium mech does. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 17 November 2018, 00:53:43 »
Do you want the list that proves that the factions really don't put their stereotypical trademark weapons on every mech arranged alphabetically or by tonnage?

Anyway, the real reason that the Successor States probably wouldn't bother putting the Crab into production is simply because they already have plenty of generalist medium mechs that serve the same purpose, like the Starslayer and Lynx.

RevenVrake

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
« Reply #21 on: 17 November 2018, 13:43:06 »
I gotta say I do like what MWO did with the crab art. I hated the damn arms and hands on the old crab but I love the new look. I do have to ask, is there any relation between the 50 ton Crab and the 100 ton King Crab? Or is that just a happy coincidence?

fabulousorcboy

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: 17 November 2018, 14:21:00 »
In-universe, they're built by the same manufacturer, Cosara Weaponries of Northwind

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 17 November 2018, 14:46:56 »
I gotta say I do like what MWO did with the crab art. I hated the damn arms and hands on the old crab but I love the new look. I do have to ask, is there any relation between the 50 ton Crab and the 100 ton King Crab? Or is that just a happy coincidence?

I was going to say the same thing.  The original artwork did not catch my imagination but some that I have found online really work for me.  The MWO version I really like and I also like ones like this

I just thought that sort of look really works.  Makes it have a more predatory look rather than something that seems a bit goofy (some of the old arm/hand looks did not help).

Also I am glad that there is an article for the crab now.  It seems that the crab does not get as much love online or it is just really hard to find because whenever I want to find stuff on the crab I keep getting the King Crab instead which is not what I want sadly.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2018, 14:48:29 by Crimson Dawn »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 17 November 2018, 15:53:07 »
I always wished they put in some fluff on those 'claws' the crabs had.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2018, 18:56:11 »
I have always dug this Mech. As some no doubt went on the exodus did we ever get a IIC or what early clan Mech replaces it?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #26 on: 17 November 2018, 20:10:48 »
In-universe, they're built by the same manufacturer, Cosara Weaponries of Northwind
the King Crab was also built at Cosara's factory on Mars. one reason i've figured that you could have seen some limited production of the Crab there as well. which would help explain the WOB variants.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #27 on: 18 November 2018, 13:13:49 »
Hey, I still have that BattleTech Card!   :D

I definitely like the Crab better with two crab claws, rather than a crab claw and a hand.  I am generally fond of this Mech (although not as much as some others).
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #28 on: 18 November 2018, 20:48:23 »
I think the real appeal for the Crab (and Sentinel) is because they are the first NPC mechs you see when you start the first mission in MW2:Mercenaries... They certainly still appeal to me, decades later but oddly enough, not for actual PnP sessions. For the longest time, I only had 1 STL and 2 CRB's as minis until earlier this year when I bought a 2nd STL & CRB in house colors...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Darkwing

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 19 November 2018, 08:44:26 »
I have always dug this Mech. As some no doubt went on the exodus did we ever get a IIC or what early clan Mech replaces it?

Nope, which is a shame. Although I guess you could argue that the Adder (Puma) is it's spiritual successor.
''Do not judge yourself by the friends you have, but by the enemies you make.'' - Jerome Blake

Register