Author Topic: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel  (Read 65132 times)

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
Re: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel
« Reply #120 on: 20 September 2021, 02:43:05 »
my thoughts on this. 

Paper Tiger:  It was an interested read on a mission that could had easily gone sideway.  While the characters were interesting and even the plot holds some value its about avg for a shrapnel story for me.  which mean it isn't bad, just not good enough to make me go OH yeah.

Point of view: was a downer type of story where there are no winners unless your a clanner which case you may like this.  It pretty much a slice of life story of a group of elemental hunting down an elusive stinger.  Not a bad read

Almost sound Like the guns themselves.  Wow talking about a downer this one is one of those emotional one that deal with PTSD form a combat vet that took a bad turn during the war.  Decent read but be warn it not for those that enjoy happy endings.

One Door closes: Ok this one is one of those that i really enjoy as it brought back character from the Hour of the Wolves and show what they did immediately afterward.  Solid read i have no complaints and would recommend it for others to read.  One of the hightlights from this crop of stories for me.

Tales from the Crack Canopy:  Another solid story that draws you in deeper you go.   another that i recommend to read If you were just going to just read one single story from the magazine. 

Diamadis Dogs.  This one take is to a noble family that didn't do post 3025.  Where one hold on to things a bit too hard and too long and lose out on what really important,  One lives.  Its not for the faint of heart.

Vengeance Games:  A Four pattern that set our players in motions I am looking forward the next 3 parts but disappointed that it end without conclusion.

Ace Darwin sidewider canyon:  when you let a braggert talk to much Solid story where one must always remember but who knows if it true.

Moving Forward:  This is just a view on the current affair of the Scorpion empire and how they plan to move forward in the changing time
« Last Edit: 20 September 2021, 02:48:12 by Marveryn »

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #121 on: 20 September 2021, 07:56:33 »
The Victor C given to the second notable pilot (after he lost his Highlander) is the one from the cover of CityTech 2nd Edition (reused for the new TacOps), which shows it being captured by Clan Wolf.

SWEET!  Had no clue!  What a cool nugget.  :)

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: 20 September 2021, 09:20:08 »
Point of view
I'm at odds and ends on this one, probably solely because it followed Paper Tiger, which was SO damn good.  I liked this story, but also thought nothing jumped out at me about it?
that SAID: as a WRITER, I'm going to go back and tear it apart.  Schmetzer does a FANTASTIC job of maintaining the POVs, you know EXACTLTY where everyone is at every moment, the "camera" stays on the action- THIS is, on a TECHNINICAL level, one of the best written stories in the book.  While the plot didn't make me jump up and down, personally (and that's okl) the writing is worth studying if you're a journeyman (like me) and want to keep getting better at the trade.

For context: the direction here was a 4-part story to be published serially in the GAMA Trade Magazine, IIRC 750 words apiece. So yeah, I had to pay extra close attention. ;)
I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #123 on: 20 September 2021, 13:24:22 »

For context: the direction here was a 4-part story to be published serially in the GAMA Trade Magazine, IIRC 750 words apiece. So yeah, I had to pay extra close attention. ;)

That explains a lot- I was wondering why you were so TIGHT on words, when you generally let your stories breathe.  It's so clipped it almost reads as a PLAY!  :D ;D

(Narrator voice: but, readers, this AGAIN illustrates why it's a good story to study from the TECHNICAL side of the business: I can't sign my NAME without 250 words, and this story woulda packed in a pair of firefights in the same amount of space!  :) Study Study Study, then emulate!  :)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #124 on: 21 September 2021, 23:38:16 »
Does anyone know who the old man and the ghost are in "Ghost"?  I think the Ghost becomes the hotel doorman, right?  or was the old man the doorman and this is a NEW Ghost Paladin?

And is the "old man" someone we know from the classic era?  Like, should I dig into whatever happened to ole Tormano Liao? ;-) hahaha

The old man in Ghosts, known to the protagonist as the Dove, is in fact someone mentioned in a single previous product. He is VERY obscure, but he is in fact a previously existing character, if only in name. The clues to his identity are hidden in his exchange with the protagonist when they first meet up. Finding his identity is your quest, and when you do identify him, it will become one of those "of course!" moments, and will have a host of implications to go with it. I'm glad Ray let me do it. One hint: He's not Tormano Liao.

You'll notice that there aren't a lot of names used in this story. That was a deliberate choice. It's told first person, by a man who does not place much value on human beings. Only a few people are worthy of being recognized by name. His daughter, Elim Nova cat, Devlin Stone. Everyone else is an object. The Dove, the Iron Lady, even his wife. This is why his own name is never mentioned: because he does not value his own life anymore. I also never intended him to be Emil, people just assumed that. Emil is there in the 3130s. Ghosts is set in 3090, and the protagonist is already in his late 40s to early 50s. I see hims as the Ghost Paladin who served before Emil.

I put a hell of a lot of effort into this story, and I'm glad people like it.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2021, 23:44:38 by Jal Phoenix »

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #125 on: 23 September 2021, 01:12:35 »
So the clue is the Antonin Dashhan name tag, isn't it? Only other mentioned name together with the notion of familarity to the Dove.

No only need to find who Antonin Dashhan was and with whom he dealt..

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #126 on: 27 September 2021, 09:38:49 »
Unfortunately, there's one more story I will like to talk about. This one is not from a new writer.

MOVING FOWARD by Daniel Isberner

I flipped straight to Moving Forward after it was mentioned in the Commander's Call. I was excited to see what was going on in the Scorpion Empire. I was disappointed. This was the most disappointed short story in Issue #6. This is the most disappointing BattleTech short story I ever read. I won't get into spoilers. The plot of Moving Forward warrants a novella at the least. It does not work as a short story. The stakes are too high. The mussels, too delectably interesting to get so little screen time. If TPTB are reading this and if Daniel Isberner is willing, I implore that this story be greatly expanded upon. Moving Forward in its current state is a disservice to Clan Goliah Scorpian. That is all.

I respectfully disagree. I thought it was an excellent short story. I cared about the characters, I love the Scorpions, and I'm excited to see what happens to them. I hope in the future they get more time in the sun, but right now this teaser will keep me going.

The only thing I disliked about the story? The title of the Scorpion Empire's leader. zarKhan? Yeesh. Did you know that's an anime bad guy? If you have to use "Khan" in the title why not make the current Khan the WarKhan and make the new zarKhan the Khan?

On a different but related note, do we need to use "Khan" in every title? ecKhan, reKhan, arcKhan, ovKhan. I'm just about Khan'd out at this point. I'm worried we'll see things like:
  • ChoreKhan: Title of the Laborer Caste leader
  • FloorKhan: Laborer Caste Floor sweeper guild leader
  • medKhan: Leader of the Medical Caste
  • airKhan: Best aerospace pilot in the touman
  • loreKhan: New Loremaster title

Like I say, I really enjoyed the story other than that one tiny personal annoyance. Don't pay attention to me Herr Isberner.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Buy my new book on Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #127 on: 27 September 2021, 10:02:32 »
I was quite chuffed when I came up with zarKhan.

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #128 on: 27 September 2021, 10:45:48 »
I was quite chuffed when I came up with zarKhan.
Hey don't let one guy's opinion ruin your day. Especially mine.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Buy my new book on Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #129 on: 27 September 2021, 10:49:22 »
I think I named a character Zarkon some time ago, too. I guess I'm nothing if not consistent.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #130 on: 27 September 2021, 10:52:55 »
All the best authors invent such characters.

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Zarquon
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #131 on: 27 September 2021, 11:28:15 »
It's based on the Russian Zar. With Kerensky being Russian, it is a respectful nod toward the Great Father.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #132 on: 27 September 2021, 11:31:33 »
I respectfully disagree. I thought it was an excellent short story. I cared about the characters, I love the Scorpions, and I'm excited to see what happens to them. I hope in the future they get more time in the sun, but right now this teaser will keep me going.

The only thing I disliked about the story? The title of the Scorpion Empire's leader. zarKhan? Yeesh. Did you know that's an anime bad guy? If you have to use "Khan" in the title why not make the current Khan the WarKhan and make the new zarKhan the Khan?

On a different but related note, do we need to use "Khan" in every title? ecKhan, reKhan, arcKhan, ovKhan. I'm just about Khan'd out at this point. I'm worried we'll see things like:

Well, now that you fed me the idea... :P

Like I say, I really enjoyed the story other than that one tiny personal annoyance. Don't pay attention to me Herr Isberner.

No worries, criticism is fine. And, as you said, you enjoyed it and cared for the characters. Especially the latter makes me proud :)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #133 on: 27 September 2021, 11:44:50 »
This gives me an idea about the time a Freebirth lead the Cloud Cobras. Khan Khan should have been ilKhan.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #134 on: 27 September 2021, 12:07:36 »
It's based on the Russian Zar. With Kerensky being Russian, it is a respectful nod toward the Great Father.

The old fashioned Czar, or the more modern accepted Tsar? Of course, begs the question, why not gurKhan?
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #135 on: 27 September 2021, 13:26:05 »

Ah. That explains it. (Still overloaded with Khans, but at least it makes sense to me now.)
Be the Loremaster:

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #136 on: 27 September 2021, 14:49:42 »

I skipped over the nitty gritty details, but I am planning on doing more in-depth reviews of the remaining stories. I had a lot more thoughts on Moving Forward. Especially it's ending. I meant have this done this past weekend but procrastination got the better of me. I still need to finish my 10,000 word review of Blood Will Tell and after that, my 30,000 word review of Hunting Season (just kidding) not really.

I like what's happening with the Scorpions, the amount of growth and change they are experiencing in making them into one of the more interesting of the Clan factions. The second of the major Periphery Clan powers to arise.
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #137 on: 28 September 2021, 04:05:36 »

Not sure, i prefer Khan over Czar

Starfury

• Lieutenant
« Reply #138 on: 09 October 2021, 06:38:31 »
Long time (aka old, since 1988) Battletech fan here. The new Shrapnel magazines have been excellent in content and are the equivalent of Battletechnology, which IMO was the best BT related magazine style publication released.  Shrapnel 6 continues this tradition, and it does something that I think some fans miss about BT which Faith pointed out in her first post:
relatability.

Sharpnel's stories make the giant stompy robot action human.  Many of FASA's supplements and novels often missed this point, since they had to continue the overall metaplot while giving us Mechs shooting each other.  The ones that do favor a more character/human driven viewpoint often end up being criticized for lacking sweeping action or expanding the story. Examples include Far Country, Ideal War, some of the later Mechwarrior novels, and even Main Event/D.R.T.  I always thought that was a shame. At the end of the day, Battletech is about people in a galaxy where "limited" war is legally setup as the primary way to solve a conflict. How people react to that is as important as any 300 page novel of "Liao beats Wolf with stealth armor" could be.

I want to conclude by something that doesn't happen nearly enough to Catalyst, FanPro, Wizkids and FASA and their support teams, both formal and informal: Thanks. Please continue to produce great content for a universe that people love to experience, and remember we'll always be here to support you no matter how many Mech designs get added to the universe. Now where is that Centurion Maximus?

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #139 on: 10 December 2021, 16:22:20 »
Five days till the next Shrapnel issue is released. What are we going to see?
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #140 on: 10 December 2021, 16:33:38 »

Part 2 of Vengence Games! ;)

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #141 on: 11 December 2021, 04:16:18 »

Content.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #142 on: 11 December 2021, 06:28:11 »
Sun-Tzu Claus, with presents for all conforming citizens.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #143 on: 11 December 2021, 09:55:47 »
I feel like people didn't even get around to play last year's Christmas scenario.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #144 on: 11 December 2021, 10:48:57 »
Some good stories are coming up, that's all I know.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #145 on: 11 December 2021, 12:54:07 »

Buck Pardoe presents the uncut history of Clan Wolverine since they departed the Home Worlds.

&

we also get the biography of Devlin Stone.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #146 on: 11 December 2021, 12:59:42 »
Buck Pardoe presents the uncut history of Clan Wolverine since they departed the Home Worlds.

&

we also get the biography of Devlin Stone.

Which are identical!

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #147 on: 11 December 2021, 16:06:13 »
I feel like people didn't even get around to play last year's Christmas scenario.

No time like the present. I'm going home for the holiday. Maybe I will be able to find some players for it. Just for you.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #148 on: 11 December 2021, 16:30:54 »
 :smitten:
No time like the present. I'm going home for the holiday. Maybe I will be able to find some players for it. Just for you.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #149 on: 11 December 2021, 17:50:42 »
Exciting and fun content to help keep us all busy for a while?
That's my theory at least.  :))

But honestly I'm excited as well
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Register