Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 1  (Read 175067 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter is LIVE
« Reply #1320 on: 19 July 2019, 07:51:15 »
Mecher McMechson

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1321 on: 19 July 2019, 07:54:39 »
 :o WOW!! I see thing going to slow down now which good. That give everyone a chance catch up to both backers and the people at Cat Lab. You all know we have 29 more days to go so calm down. I love the list of countries of the backers .

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1322 on: 19 July 2019, 07:58:47 »
Cubby,

I understand the Kickstarter Exclusives will only be available through pledging during this time period and those items are specifically listed as "Exclusive".  Everything else will be available for retail at a later date.  Is that a correct statement?  Also, do you expect the retail prices to change? 

I ask because AGoAC is the only add-on listed with a retail value of $60 for a $50 add-on.

Thanks,

Matt

My current understanding is that anything not specifically called an exclusive should be available at retail at some future date. I know, I hate all the caveats in that sentence too, but in some cases we're talking about product that's little more than a glimmer in someone's eye at this point. So guaranteeing with absolute certainty that it'll be available on store shelves is not something I can do.

Cubby - how good are the odds we see renders or artwork of the rest of the mechs before the 'starter is over.

That's hard for me to answer, because I don't know the exact stage of the process that Anthony is on for all 60+. There's a fair number that have no renders or artwork at all, for sure, and I have honestly no idea whether he can or would be able to generate them in the next 29 days.

I know Anthony cares a great deal about quality control and is thoughtful about what he shows publicly, so it's unlikely he'd hit the gas and just get something out for all of them if it means showing work he's not happy with. Which I wholeheartedly agree with, for a few reasons. One, it's not worth showing something before it's ready, because we'll never convince the internet that, "don't worry, it'll be better when it's done"--why show it at all, then. Two, revealing art and renders over the next few months after the KS ends gives me more content to share and keep backers engaged.

So the simplest answer is, "It'll vary depending on the Mech, but there should be at least a few more renders or pieces of development art to share."
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 08:03:36 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1323 on: 19 July 2019, 07:58:52 »
If anyone has missed it, the FAQ was updated with more info about canon characters.

"Yes. The whole idea here is that you will become part of the BattleTech universe. As a canon character, you will get to name a character and can provide a short bio. Faction. Unit. Maybe homeward and honors and rank.

We reserve editorial rights to prevent obscenities or internet goofiness. No Boaty McBoatface!

With custom art, we will ask you for a photo to base the sketch on and it will also be used in a sourcebook our other product in order to permanently add your likeness into the lore of BattleTech.

Please be patient. We expect to have several hundred, even a thousand, characters from this. It will take time, and we will naturally start with higher pledge levels. It's a truly incredible undertaking, but we will find a way!"

Checking now. That’s doesn’t sound right.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #1324 on: 19 July 2019, 08:01:41 »
Mecher McMechson
Dropship McDropshipFace

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1325 on: 19 July 2019, 08:09:20 »

The idea of getting a short bio did seem like a fanciful thought. I would be happy with just a name/faction/unit. But if I did get a short bio, I wouldn't complain.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1326 on: 19 July 2019, 08:13:01 »
The idea of getting a short bio did seem like a fanciful thought. I would be happy with just a name/faction/unit. But if I did get a short bio, I wouldn't complain.
This is something we absolutely nailed down and now the FAQ contradicts it.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1327 on: 19 July 2019, 08:17:39 »
Cubby - how good are the odds we see renders or artwork of the rest of the mechs before the 'starter is over.
No. We will see a few more, but not all, no.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1328 on: 19 July 2019, 08:22:48 »
What does 'Museum Scale' scale even mean? I mean it's better then using model railway gauges, but still.

For the characters I'm guessing that your characters rank will, where possible, match your backer level, which could make things interesting as the only good name I can come up with is the one I used for my character in my one Shadowun game: Nevyn from the Deverry Cycle, which means No Name.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=61447.0
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #1329 on: 19 July 2019, 08:26:12 »

No, it doesn't but it'd be great if it did and it does give the reward a bit more heft.

Nor does the FAQ commit CGL to use or even read said bios.

But, there are a couple of hundred at least, probably more by the time the KS finishes.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1330 on: 19 July 2019, 08:29:56 »
But, there are a couple of hundred at least, probably more by the time the KS finishes.
There are nearly 1,000 at the moment. We decided when building the KS that we can only guarantee names are used. The FAQ gives the wrong impression.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1331 on: 19 July 2019, 08:31:46 »
Question? Is the Dragoon visual novel that if we hit 700,000 level going to be able to be POD enable?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

PsylockeSmythe

• Corporal
« Reply #1332 on: 19 July 2019, 08:47:11 »
Question? Is the Dragoon visual novel that if we hit 700,000 level going to be able to be POD enable?
Please this.  I so perfer paper over ebook.

Psy

Lynx

• Corporal
« Reply #1333 on: 19 July 2019, 09:04:04 »
There are nearly 1,000 at the moment. We decided when building the KS that we can only guarantee names are used. The FAQ gives the wrong impression.
To be honest, to be 1 in a cast of thousands is to be an extra. Even in the vastness of the Inner Sphere, the odds are good that the extra -- especially since a lot are going to written up as Mechwarriors -- become cannon fodder.

So, top tip: write up your character as a lonesome farmer out in the Periphery somewhere; that way he might be intriguing enough to get written up to stumble upon a Castle Brian and defending the world from irascible pirates in his SLDF Highlander....  ;D

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1334 on: 19 July 2019, 09:06:02 »

On one hand, I'm happy to get it cleared up. On the other, I feel like the tattletale :)
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1335 on: 19 July 2019, 09:07:19 »
The mob will gather with pitchforks and torches either way so you are absolved of guilt

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1336 on: 19 July 2019, 09:15:24 »

Does this also apply to the galaxy commander / khan tiers? Or does the character plus art mean a more substantial entry? That may change my pledge to a lower tier + addons

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #1337 on: 19 July 2019, 09:21:55 »
  If I do pledge, this will be the first time I actually put money into a Kickstarter.  I missed the HBS one, and I’m still kicking myself over it — I needed a new civvie jacket at the time (hell, I still do!), so I really, really wanted the Davion swag.  Nonetheless, I find myself sitting here and doing the maths.

The funny part is, of the minis themselves, I only really want the Clan Invasion box and one each of the IS Battle and IS Command, so I can get a Mad Cat and some Classics onto a mapsheet, which at first glance means I’d simply be plumping for a Star Captaincy pledge.
  Except: I also can’t pass up the faction-pack, which would tack on another $40... and at that point I might as well go Bloodnamed and get the bonus two star/lance-packs, for duplicate Classics.
  Except: like so many others, I also want my chance to become a canon character, which automatically makes it cheaper to go Star Colonel and wind up with a Cluster of ’Mechs!
  Except: that sweet, sweet Fortress-class DS is just calling my name, and a canon character really should have a portrait, right?

[sigh]  Looks like I need to reshuffle some numbers, because it would seem my Christmas present to myself in 2020 is going to be a slot as a Galaxy Commander/AFFC Kommandant-General....  :D

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1338 on: 19 July 2019, 09:24:43 »
I have really been hoping to see the rest of the Combat Manual series as stretch goals. They're even set in the Invasion era. Maybe they still will put them in, but I think it's unlikely at this point. The new minis look great, but I'd rather have the complete CM set.

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1339 on: 19 July 2019, 09:28:59 »
I'm seriously thinking of bumping up my pledge up to Galaxy Commander. It would be giving myself my birthday and Xmas present early, bit it's oh so tempting.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1340 on: 19 July 2019, 09:29:29 »
I have really been hoping to see the rest of the Combat Manual series as stretch goals. They're even set in the Invasion era. Maybe they still will put them in, but I think it's unlikely at this point. The new minis look great, but I'd rather have the complete CM set.
I suggest anyone wanting that to go post in the Kickstarter page’s comments.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1341 on: 19 July 2019, 09:31:55 »
Trace, like you its the first time I ever did anything through Kickstarter after looking at other projects.  HBS happened when I could not afford it, otherwise I would have done that . . . I think its significant that over 15% of the people backing have never backed anything through KS before.  Especially when you consider HBS and the RoboTech bit.

The minis look great or 'complete CM set'?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1342 on: 19 July 2019, 09:42:51 »

Please be patient. We expect to have several hundred, even a thousand, characters from this. It will take time, and we will naturally start with higher pledge levels. It's a truly incredible undertaking, but we will find a way!"

Two words. "Casualties List." Then you can always milk that cow again.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1343 on: 19 July 2019, 09:45:42 »
Annnnd finally pledged, $300 is a spicy meatball, but I'm getting my annual bonus tomorrow.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1344 on: 19 July 2019, 09:47:38 »
I have pledged. Didn't go too high. I don't need to be included in the fiction. I've already got a planet and written tales for the universe, after all.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1345 on: 19 July 2019, 09:49:08 »
I'm sadly only in at the $95 rate right now, we'll see how bad Gen Con damages me though.  ;)

And I know I'll be adding on for at least the Elemental box, but probably another Lance/Star Box or two at least too.

Annwn

• Corporal
« Reply #1346 on: 19 July 2019, 10:01:22 »
I put it in the KS comments, but here's a wishlist for stretch/add-ons -
- Clan Wolverine/Minnesota Tribe challenge coin & faction pack
- Periphery factions (ie MoC, etc) challenge coin & faction pack
- Tier for people who aren't interested in mech packs, but are interested in the rest
- Stretch/add-ons for - Redemption Rift and prior KS novella (ie Heir Apparent series)
- Stretch/add-on for - sequel(s) to Betrayal of Ideals (the journey from Barbados to Svelvik to Richmond - bring back Blaine please)

PS - Always disappointed the - are you human - post question doesn't accept "aff"

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #1347 on: 19 July 2019, 10:04:52 »

Done.

I keep forgetting that, even though this thread is jumpin' and Cubby is willing to pass stuff on for us, Kickstarter has its own platform for leaving comments...which is probably being monitored for comments on the Kickstarter more actively than this thread!

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1348 on: 19 July 2019, 10:05:30 »
PS - Always disappointed the - are you human - post question doesn't accept "aff"

It goes away completely after ten posts. Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1349 on: 19 July 2019, 10:07:24 »

How far along was CM Davion? If anything we should be able to drag THAT one out of somebody I think.

Also, are you human really should accept aff. Perhaps that is all it should accept, this IS BattleTech after all ;D

Register