Author Topic: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless  (Read 176950 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: Deep Space and Interplanetary Exploration - The Universe is Timeless
« Reply #1140 on: 13 January 2019, 23:17:49 »
Plutonium 238 production is crucial for the future of deep space exploration.  NASA's supply of the isotope was dwindling, given that it was made during the Cold War, and not much made since.  In 2012 production of Plutonium began once more, but only amounted to a trickle.  Now, with help of new robotic systems, production has ramped up to 8 times amount coming out of Oak Ridge TN. 

Read more about it here...

https://amp.businessinsider.com/nasa-plutonium-fuel-automation-oak-ridge-energy-department-2019-1
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1141 on: 13 January 2019, 23:23:33 »
Weren't those people suppose to have started new production of isotope??
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1142 on: 14 January 2019, 00:37:00 »
They did, but it was only about an ounce and a half per year.  This article is about how they are going ramp up production by a value of 8 times.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1143 on: 15 January 2019, 17:33:10 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1144 on: 15 January 2019, 18:09:08 »
Heh... Once we knew plants could grow in zero-g, it wasn't really much of a question if they could grow in something between that an 1g...

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1145 on: 15 January 2019, 18:12:15 »
Dang, they got there ahead of Eu:Cropis (which is currently spinning up to provide lunar gravity in LEO for the tomatoes it will grow - but at least it'll then afterwards be the first to grow stuff at Martian gravity in half a year).

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1146 on: 15 January 2019, 18:13:34 »
I suspect they're also testing local conditions like radiation and whatnot.  Obviously it's got some sort of CO2 supply to keep the plant alive, but I can't imagine a little rover like that is going to have much in the way of radiation and thermal shielding; can the cotton plant grow in that condition is important.  Especially if we ever intend to have farms up there...

Wonder what the specifics of the environment they're growing it in is, how long it's expected to live, etc.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1147 on: 15 January 2019, 18:21:32 »
Hydroponics underground would definitely work... not really sure what they're trying to prove honestly.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1148 on: 15 January 2019, 18:32:35 »
I suspect they're also testing local conditions like radiation and whatnot.
Nah, the biological experiment capsule on the lander is way too small for that (it's on the lander platform, not on the rover). They'll probably crossreference with LND though, the radiation sensor suite contributed by the German Space Agency on the lander.

The lander basically only carries LND, the biological experiment capsule and a radio frequency spectrum analyzer mostly to detect solar storm emissions (being shielded from interference from Earth where it is; there's a Dutch-Space-Agency-contributed radio astronomy instrument for similar reasons on Queqiao, the relay satellite).

Hydroponics underground would definitely work... not really sure what they're trying to prove honestly.
Plant growth is rather sensitive to gravity actually, especially plants that grow "bidirectional" (roots and stem).

There are also issues with testing certain automatisms in habitat environments, for hydroponics the water is an issue in particular; less the cycling, more the fact that you can't test that kinda thing anywhere where NASA gets involved because they want prohibitive triple encapsulation on any water-related experiment going to ISS (hence why e.g. Eu:Cropis tests this on a fully separate satellite, which has been waiting for SpaceX to launch it for two years now).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1149 on: 15 January 2019, 18:35:20 »
I wonder how long experiment will go?  Radiation is a factor, also how much water the vehicle is carrying to keep the plants alive.

This is the dark side of the moon right? Their own light source keep the plants alive, not natural sunlight, right?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1150 on: 15 January 2019, 18:41:35 »
The "dark" side of the moon is anything but dark.  The best term to use is "far" side of the moon.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1151 on: 15 January 2019, 21:12:48 »
Inside the lander it isn't a natural light source.  But there would be plenty of light outside.  The main difference being that it isn't a 24 hour light cycle, lunar light goes on for days.  Same for lunar night.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1152 on: 16 January 2019, 11:02:05 »
I wonder how long experiment will go? 

Until they run into the Decepticons.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1153 on: 17 January 2019, 07:53:29 »
Total lunar eclipse in North & South America this weekend!
https://www.space.com/42830-supermoon-blood-moon-total-lunar-eclipse-2019.html

No really, it's a major eclipse, totality will last just over a full hour. There's schedules and maps for where it's visible from, but basically if you're in the western hemisphere and have clear skies, you're gonna get a nice view.

T̤͎̺̩͕̪̞ͥH̤͈̃̊ͦE̹̤̯̭̥̥̹̊ ͮ͐̒͐͌ͨ̆M̖̘͇ͨͨ͛͠E̙͌̏̄͛͊ͮT͉̻̖͊ͩE̖ͧ̓̓̂ͭ̅͡Ő̤͍͌ͣ̕R̫͉̤͋̓ͫO͒̌̕L̨͉̼̠̬̱̟̄ͮO̼̓G̦͇͇͎̣̈́̍͢I̸̅͆C̞̭̲͔̮̺̒̌͋̃͂̕A̲̠ͪͭͯ̓̐͌̍L̠̳̼͍͎̑̀̒ͣ ̯͚̘̞̠͎̘͐E̘͗͋V̜̺͖ͬ͋̒̀̎͆́E̯̼̻̘̫͗ͪ͘N̡̖͇͑̊̾̆ͯT̡̞͓̪̖͇̐̉ͮ͂̆͛ͯ ͨ̿Ī̗̝̖̼̯̺̀͐̚͞S̾ͨ̾ͬ̆͊҉̜̣̯͍͖ ̯͚̲͒͐͋̾̿͊ͪ͜S̱̦̩͖̪͕̐͋̃͢Ǎ̴̩̺͇̭̤ͥF̮̠̓ͥ̚E̲͉͇͙̝ͨ͌͊͛ͩͅ ̫͖͓͝F̧̤ͩ̒ͩO̠͍̓̇̏̄̑ͧR̭̩̳͉̦̹̙ͯ͠ ̀́͐҉̫̺̙̱͕A̰͔ͩ̅͂̎͞L̜̩̗͙͚͈̠̀̑̓͒ͫͪ̚L̡͇̻̦̐́ ̜̝̘͈̲̥ͣ̍̂Ṫ̝̩̠̤ͯͪ͆ͤ͋ͅȎ̼̼͙̺͉ͣ ̨̗͚͐̆̏̆͛́V͕̯̰̫̥ͩͮ͒ͥḮ̗̪ͩ̉E̤̫̗͔͈W̭̿̀̆̿ͮ

Meanwhile, do not look at the night sky.

W̸͚̤̞ ͇͔̰̻̟ͅE͔̳͞ ̭̯̯͉͎̞ ̬͖̕ ̳̯͇̻͓̯͜W̪̪̠̱̘͠ ͖̭̗͔̳̣͓͡I҉̬̞͈ ̝ͅL̵̮̝̫̖ ̶̪͉̫̜̭̳L ̙̹ ͖̥̜̱̻ ̵͎̲̦̗̗L̼̺̜̱̤̘͡ ̦̜̣̖̱O̯̘ ̤̦̝̕O ̸K̹̹͚̳ͅ ̻̘̙̭̕ ̹́ T͙͕̰̙͇̳͔ ̜̝O͓̞̘ ͕̥͉͉̦̫̺G͕̱̯͙͝ ̥̙͖͉Ḙ̜̥̼̼ T̵̟͕͈ ̕H͔͎̤ ̗̼È ̛̙̮ͅR̝̺̳̟̞

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1154 on: 17 January 2019, 10:57:23 »
I wonder how long experiment will go?

And it's dead. To be fair, it lasted longer on the moon than it would have in my house.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1155 on: 17 January 2019, 11:47:50 »
Xie said temperatures inside the biosphere had grown too erratic and reached extremes that would likely kill all life, including the seeds and eggs.

That's the kind of environmental concerns I was wondering about.  The moon is pretty damn harsh when it comes to temperature; clearly whatever materials they were using as a lunar greenhouse didn't cut it.  Sometimes you can only find out by trying in situ.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1156 on: 17 January 2019, 12:30:22 »
A similar thing used to occur in my house until I conceded all temperature controls to my wife.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1157 on: 17 January 2019, 13:49:23 »
The experiment is actually about whenever the enclosed biosphere (containing cotton and potato seeds, yeast and fruit fly eggs.) is sustainable on its own.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-46873526?ocid=socialflow_twitter

The lunar mini biosphere experiment on the Chang'e-4 lander is designed to test photosynthesis and respiration - processes in living organisms that result in the production of energy. The whole experiment is contained within an 18cm tall, 3kg canister that was designed by 28 Chinese universities.

The organisms inside have a supply of air, water and nutrients to help them grow. But one of the challenges, say Chinese scientists, is to keep the temperature favourable for growth when conditions on the Moon swing wildly between -173C and 100C or more.

They also have to control the humidity and nutrients.
"It suggests that there might not be insurmountable problems for astronauts in future trying to grow their own crops on the moon in a controlled environment."
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1158 on: 18 January 2019, 06:56:15 »
Currently in development is a probe called Lucy, set to launch in 2021  Lucy's mission will be to travel to 6 different asteroids.  1 asteroid will be in the main asteroid belt, the other 5 are asteroids in Jupiter's Trojans.  Using the extremely successful ion engine (as seen on the Dawn orbiter that brought us to Vesta and Ceres), Lucy represents the next generation in space exploration with a complex mission.

Read about it further here at the source, NASA Space Flight....

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/800/navigating-nasas-first-mission-to-the-trojan-asteroids/

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1159 on: 20 January 2019, 21:09:51 »
A new paper from Cambridge University rules out Planet Nine as the source of orbital anomalies in trans-Neptunian objects.  Read about it here...

https://medium.com/@roblea_63049/planet-nine-ruled-out-as-the-cause-of-outer-solar-system-mystery-orbits-9846266bd073

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1160 on: 26 January 2019, 01:51:57 »

Above is a higher quality image of 2014 MU69, one to tide us over until mid February when the highest quality images come streaming in from New Horizons. Courtesy of NASA and the Applied Physics Laboratory.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2019, 02:03:58 by rebs »

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1161 on: 26 January 2019, 05:42:19 »
A new paper from Cambridge University rules out Planet Nine as the source of orbital anomalies in trans-Neptunian objects.  Read about it here...

https://medium.com/@roblea_63049/planet-nine-ruled-out-as-the-cause-of-outer-solar-system-mystery-orbits-9846266bd073
As I understand it, it doesn't rule out planet 9, it just shows that planet 9 isn't required.

Personally I think the idea that we had another gas giant in the system at start that got ejected early is more interesting. That's a ready-made candidate for planet 9. :)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1162 on: 26 January 2019, 08:11:10 »
We may not find out in our light time.  If we do, that's great. I say leave couple mysteries for the next generation to enjoy.  ;)

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1163 on: 26 January 2019, 11:23:40 »
We may not find out in our light time.  If we do, that's great. I say leave couple mysteries for the next generation to enjoy.  ;)

Dont worry about that. Theres plenty more to find out.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1164 on: 26 January 2019, 11:29:31 »
With shutdown for the US temporarily ended. I hope first of the crewed commercially launched vehicles will get strut its stuff next month. I imagine NASA personnel got messed up good this shutdown.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1165 on: 26 January 2019, 12:39:01 »
The shutdown wasn't good for anyone, but it's over for now.  I'm with you hoping we can get our astronauts back to the business they do best. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1166 on: 29 January 2019, 07:26:20 »

Above is the lattest image of asteroid Bennu sent by OSIRIS REx.  I also attached the full version.  All images courtesy of NASA and Goddard, University of Arizona. 

« Last Edit: 29 January 2019, 07:37:23 by rebs »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1167 on: 29 January 2019, 07:39:42 »
I have to say that, 12 sider dice in space, has most visual rocks laying on it i've ever seen in a photo of asteroid.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1168 on: 29 January 2019, 07:58:33 »
Itokawa looked about as rocky from similar distances.

Part of that is visual bias. Bennu - and Itokawa - are relatively small at only a few hundred meters, so resolution at similar image size is of course better.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1169 on: 29 January 2019, 08:18:05 »
I can't wait for the really hi res stuff to come in from New Horizons.  With how close it passed and remembering the treats we got of Pluto a couple of months after flyby, we might be in for some great visuals like this from Bennu.

Register