Author Topic: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End  (Read 10077 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Eminence in Anime - The M@ster Anime Thread Beyond Viewing's End
« Reply #60 on: 10 December 2023, 13:53:50 »
That was an interesting show.  Too bad what happened to it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 11 December 2023, 18:39:01 »
I think it was a Toonmai original but never went anywhere with the viewers so they never did a second season.

So about some time ago, back when I used Netflix's DVD service to get Anime, I watched the original Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 13 episode series and enjoyed it. I then sent onto the second season but was only able to see a part of it; Netflix never replaced the rest of the DVDs that someone lost. I recently purchased the Nanoha Reflection and Detonation films that came stateside for Black Friday; I liked them but its unfortunate that I had to look things up

The funny thing is that the Two Movies follow the Nanoha Reboot Films that never came out here; which is weird to me. I still enjoyed them though
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #62 on: 11 December 2023, 21:44:03 »
I think it was a Toonmai original but never went anywhere with the viewers so they never did a second season.

Actually, it was fairly popular with viewers but it came out at a time when CN's management was extremely hostile toward shows that were aimed at older audiences so it got canceled before the first season was complete.  Same thing as what happened to Sym-Bionic Titan and the new Thundercats.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #63 on: 11 December 2023, 22:15:33 »
You mean the mid-aughts Thundercats, and not Thundercats Roar, right?  I liked that show, for what it was worth. But, I only got to see it because I bought the DVDs back when they were available. Same with the rebooted He-man series. The short intro is still locked in memory.

That's a shame.  It's like all the shows Fox would start and drop on short notice. 

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 12 December 2023, 01:02:43 »
I'd forgotten Roar even existed.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 12 December 2023, 01:09:08 »
I'd forgotten Roar even existed.
was it with a sd tcats? i enjoyed that one
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 12 December 2023, 01:10:54 »
That was the one.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #67 on: 12 December 2023, 09:01:38 »
I have little faith in cable/ television based. Especially when they have ever changing and censorship they do.

Netflix had good things going, but with events of streaming services and their cut back in programming has left original programming like original anime high and dry made by Western based companies since they're more likely to produce more action pack or even sci-fi based shows I enjoy. Like Voltron revival and some original plot shows. Last one I had seen was Net runner show based on Cyberpunk 2077.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #68 on: 12 December 2023, 10:50:02 »
Netflix has an even worse problem when it comes to original programming- they'll produce five episodes of something, call it a "season", end it on a cliffhanger, and declare that it didn't get enough new subscribers so it's being canceled.  And the reason it doesn't attract new subscribers is because people assume that it's going to get canceled.  And it has awful looking 90s CGI.

And then they'll show that they have absolutely no understanding of irony by producing a defictionalized version of Squid Games.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #69 on: 12 December 2023, 14:23:57 »
Netflix has an even worse problem when it comes to original programming- they'll produce five episodes of something, call it a "season", end it on a cliffhanger, and declare that it didn't get enough new subscribers so it's being canceled.  And the reason it doesn't attract new subscribers is because people assume that it's going to get canceled.  And it has awful looking 90s CGI.

And then they'll show that they have absolutely no understanding of irony by producing a defictionalized version of Squid Games.
Aren't they bleeding money? Ever since they're subscriptions service kind of fell by the wayside as far as physical, they sort of lost the income they needed to pay for the original programming.

It's a shame, they were actually doing us everyone who likes anime a good service. They were putting really good shows even if they're cutting it by the knees.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #70 on: 12 December 2023, 14:46:06 »
The lesson is buy physical media, kids. Streaming services don't care what you like & won't keep it available. They aren't worth anyone's dime.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 12 December 2023, 16:03:18 »
Sure, if it's a show/movie you want to watch repeatedly.  But if you're getting a bunch of things you're only going to watch once, that becomes expensive.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 12 December 2023, 17:25:00 »
If I'm only going to watch it once, why would I pay for that at all?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #73 on: 12 December 2023, 21:24:19 »
Because there's a lot of stuff out there that you might enjoy watching once but not owning?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 12 December 2023, 21:45:14 »
The notion that I have to pay for stuff I'm very unlikely to enjoy enough to want to own is at the heart of the aversion I'm talking about.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #75 on: 12 December 2023, 22:20:17 »
Well, there's a lot of things that I've watched that I thought I'd like that turned out to be garbage and thus would have hated having to buy in order to see them.  There's also a lot of things that I didn't think looked that great and wouldn't have bought but turned out to be great because I was willing to take a chance on watching them due to already having a subscription service.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #76 on: 13 December 2023, 17:21:48 »
The notion that I have to pay for stuff I'm very unlikely to enjoy enough to want to own is at the heart of the aversion I'm talking about.

Well, I would use that impetus in an altruistic way.  I've bought a lot of physical media, knowing that I wouldn't keep it after watching it, and then give it away to someone who couldn't afford it.  In my case, it's my local library, who's always open to donations on the video end. 

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 13 December 2023, 18:52:11 »
I was totally in the camp of "I paid money so I'd better be able to hold what I bought" camp, but that has lessened over the years thanks to things like Steam and WoW. I'm sure the fact that I rarely ever get to actually physically hold my money has helped with that too. 

Even though I stream too, I will still sometimes buy the bluray anyway if I liked the show enough.  Heck, I've bought copies of books I borrowed after I finished reading them.  I do not understand why I do this though.  I VERY VERY rarely ever read or watch anything more than once.  Time spent rewatching or rereading something could be spent on something in my backlog.   And yet still, I collect the books and discs as if they served some purpose beyond collecting dust.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 13 December 2023, 20:00:57 »
I've bought a lot of physical media, knowing that I wouldn't keep it after watching it, and then give it away to someone who couldn't afford it.  .

I do gift some physical media, but trust me I have no trouble holding on to it if I like it. What I don't like is giving some corp a regular payment just so they can offer me whatever slop they want in whatever format is convenient for them. It is neither convenient or desirable for me.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 13 December 2023, 22:58:03 »
ok simple solution

get an external hd with 4gb or more save your media to that
there is plenty of compression software out there and conversion software to convert your physical media
heck most windows os come with conversion software already
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 14 December 2023, 08:19:35 »
Trust me, my SSDs are stacked

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #81 on: 14 December 2023, 08:45:33 »
Trust me, my SSDs are stacked

Whaaa....

I read that as you've got several stacked, as in jack bulked up, Super Star Destroyers....

I wanna play in your sandbox!

TT

(Like the EU SW Eclipse SSD, with the spinal fore mounted Death Star laser...  but now Darth Mickey remade it into a Excecutor class SSD... No word on a Super laser yet, but look at what they did to Andor.)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 14 December 2023, 10:04:27 »
well this is something to look foreward to
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-12-14/new-urusei-yatsura-anime-2nd-half-to-air-for-half-year-starting-on-january-11/.205488
i have to admit they rally did their dilidgence to find va to be close as possible to original cast...especially lum and ataru

and i am interested in this hopefully it will be of good quality and stick close as possible to source
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-12-14/silent-service-live-action-film-gets-new-series-on-amazon-prime-with-worldwide-streaming/.205471

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 14 December 2023, 10:27:00 »
Apparently Spy X Family is getting a movie next month.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 14 December 2023, 14:27:48 »
I Like the EU SW Eclipse SSD,

Me too!  :cheesy:

but now Darth Mickey remade it into a Excecutor class SSD... No word on a Super laser yet, but look at what they did to Andor.)

Don't get me started! It's off topic & we'll be here all day!  :tongue:

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #85 on: 14 December 2023, 14:52:48 »
To be honest I don't watch that much anime anymore. Last anime that I watched was AoT's final and before that Bastard!!! S2. 
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #86 on: 17 December 2023, 08:41:05 »
I think there some hope for scifi anime,  apparently Bones is putting out this trailer for anime coming out in 2024.  (I almost wrote 3024...) 

This is a trailer for Metallic Rouge.  Sort gives me Cyberpunk / dark Bubblegum Crisis vibes.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #87 on: 17 December 2023, 09:33:43 »
I think there some hope for scifi anime,  apparently Bones is putting out this trailer for anime coming out in 2024.  (I almost wrote 3024...) 

This is a trailer for Metallic Rouge.  Sort gives me Cyberpunk / dark Bubblegum Crisis vibes.
Thank you, i didn't knew about that one.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #88 on: 17 December 2023, 13:07:33 »
Don't get me started! It's off topic & we'll be here all day!  :tongue:

Did you ever see Star Wars: Visions?

It's a really nice collection...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 17 December 2023, 13:10:39 »
Nope! Wild horses would need to drag me! Star Wars without Lucas isn't Star Wars! I'm completely out!