Author Topic: simple "topographic" mapsheet  (Read 3163 times)

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
simple "topographic" mapsheet
« on: 01 May 2017, 03:59:41 »
I've stumbled on a relatively simple idea for making a more 3D mapsheet--don't know if it's been done before or not--but I've been play-testing it enough to feel like it's worth sharing.

You see, I've gotten access to a nice, big Epson printer, the kind that can print up to A1 size using roll paper.  What I've done is print out enough copies of a map sheet so that I can cut out all the various elevations along their hexagonal-edged contour lines, glue them to foamboard, and then stack and glue the layers together on top of each other.

What you end up with is a unmistakeable indication of level differences at a glance, but without too much bulk.  And it's relatively quick and cheap to make.

It's been working great in action.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go back and do every one of my mapsheets like this now.
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: simple "topographic" mapsheet
« Reply #1 on: 01 May 2017, 06:30:39 »
Ooh, that looks nice!
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Ang Moh Siao

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 May 2017, 06:32:52 »
Hey, your avatar picture is essentially exactly this.  What is that picture from?
C.O. Gamma Company: First Singapore Irregulars
--Non calor sed umor est qui nobis incommodat--

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2017, 15:41:28 »
What is that picture from?

It's from MegaMek (the Java-driven virtual BT online mapboard), with the isometric view switched on.

(A snapshot of yet another not-entirely victorious battle.)
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2017, 17:27:24 »
Very nice!  And I love the paint job, especially on those "zombie" urbies... O0

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2017, 08:12:30 »
My friend did something like this, only his hills are taller.

I saw one unexpected result, even on my little hills. Players are avoiding higher hexes. I think miniature is more exposed not only in a game mechanic, but physically, too. They are hidden "better" behind 3d hill and they're safer from units in front of them, since the players sometimes overestimate partial cover. :) Remember that in your games, it really gives an advantage.
(+)

Uncle Gus

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2017, 20:37:46 »
Are the intro box maps available for print anywhere? This would be a much easier method than my current method, which is painting the foamboard :P

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2017, 04:20:55 »
Are the intro box maps available for print anywhere? This would be a much easier method than my current method, which is painting the foamboard :P
Yes they are. Or at least, they're for sale as PDF products: CGL is offering them as PDF files in the MapPacks - Link to shop

Edit: At least I think it's legal to print those maps for personal use, and then use these printouts to build terrain for personal use as suggested in this thread.
« Last Edit: 20 September 2017, 04:23:42 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Uncle Gus

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2017, 20:18:19 »
Hmm, none of those map packs seem to include any of the introductory box set maps. Is there any way to get printable versions of those maps?