Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164058 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #90 on: 25 September 2017, 10:45:34 »
IMO you should be very angry. Klingon ships look like WH40K Imperium ships...

I haven't watched it...but is that just the personal ride of the Klingon antagonist, or is that how all of the Klingon ships look?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #91 on: 25 September 2017, 10:46:53 »
I haven't watched it...but is that just the personal ride of the Klingon antagonist, or is that how all of the Klingon ships look?

Most of the ships...
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 25 September 2017, 11:04:44 »
The story was good, changing the Klingon's and the $10 a month paywall for 15 episodes, not so good. CBS is just killing this outright, and waiting for the next series in development.

While in the Prime timeline, I was under the impression that TS-Discovery uses the Movie license, not the Paramount TV license, which is why nothing looks familiar. Why the uniforms are different, why the ships are different, ETC.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #93 on: 25 September 2017, 11:22:03 »
Since I dont know how to get spoiler tags in here Ill let more people see the show and Ill rant on that "story was good" thing later. Not saying Im right or wrong... just think its not that good (and expected if you know Star Trek backstory).

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #94 on: 25 September 2017, 11:36:16 »
Well, I gave it a shot. Frankly, I wouldn't sign up for the rest if the paywall was lowered to pennies. And I'm sad about that. I would have loved a series to share with my kids--their first new Trek series they could hopefully latch on to and make their own.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2017, 11:41:05 by William J. Pennington »

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #95 on: 25 September 2017, 11:41:33 »
Wait. What did they do to my precious D7/K'tingas, and how angry should I be?

Orders of magnitude above "extremely"....

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #96 on: 25 September 2017, 12:22:01 »
Overall I liked it

I don't mind the Klingons - if they are supposed to be half way between the "augment-infected" Klingons from Enterprise/the TOS and the Movie/Next Gen ones - I can live with it.  In all honesty I'd have preferred full on movie Klingon but I can live with it.  I loved that 90% of the Klingon speech was actually in Klingon.

I liked the terms Photon torpedoes - phasers etc

The uniforms are supposed to be half way step between Enterprise and TOS so again heading in right direction

I didn't like the holographic communication system - that was stupid - that they basically appeared to be standing in the room - that breaks so many trek rules it hacked me off.  But would it put me off?  No.

I'd have liked to see D7's or Birds of Prey instead of what was shown though the smaller ships seem to be a step in the right direction towards Birds of Prey while the main guy's ship is more symbolic than a line ship (he carries a graveyard with him weird)
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #97 on: 25 September 2017, 15:58:21 »
The short little shot of the Klingon ships looked nothing like anything before in Star Trek history.
The only thing I could think with the different Klingons and ships is that they are a "lost" race of Klingons with different tech, customs, and other things.

this is why i dont really like prequels....rewrite of history we all know and love.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #98 on: 25 September 2017, 16:53:06 »
To be honest, I've always found it annoying how monocultural alien races were always portrayed in Star Trek (and science fiction in general, but Star Trek is partially responsible for that).
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #99 on: 25 September 2017, 17:20:49 »
I really enjoyed this, but I don't know if I'd be willing to pay $8 per month to watch it.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #100 on: 25 September 2017, 22:50:17 »
I take it i sadly was right that, Discovery was mishandled by CBS?

No.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 25 September 2017, 22:54:11 »
Yes, it was. They're making us pay for it. I will not be able to watch it as I am not willing to pay for something that should be on broadcast TV. If it were a pay network like Amazon Prime, Netflix or Hulu, it would be different. However CBS is a Broadcast network and thus I find it reprehensible that they charge for the show.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #102 on: 25 September 2017, 23:29:35 »
Welcome to the new age of television. Broadcast revenues are down because people tivo the shows and skip the adverts. Which means advertisers are unwilling to pay as much for their slots.

As such, the networks needs to find new forms of revenue and online streaming services is the future and you will see more and more networks forming their own seperate service - Disney is doing it by pulling all their stuff from other services in 2019.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #103 on: 26 September 2017, 00:11:56 »
*nod*

I do get all that and understand that the reality of modern TV is changing, so they need to find more ways to pay for their shows.

Where I take issue is that I don't want to have to pay $100 to watch one show, especially since I'd have to get a new device to stream it on if I want to watch it on the big screen*.

*Because I detest commercials and yes while I watch more shows on CBS I struggle to think of another that I'd stream via their service unless I could convince certain other parties to cut the TV bill completely.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #104 on: 26 September 2017, 00:35:32 »
No.

If we disregard the pay to view mentality.  Put it on CBS proper and it will get a consistent following.  Unless they are afraid of something?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #105 on: 26 September 2017, 00:54:53 »
IIRC, the last ad I saw for it listed it as TV-MA so it's theoretically possible that future episodes might have more extreme content than we'd normally see on a broadcast show from CBS.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #106 on: 26 September 2017, 01:38:09 »
Full disclosure, I haven't watched the series, and probably won't. However, after seeing an image of the new Klingons, I have to ask.

When did the Drazi cross universes and take up residence in the Klingon Empire? Did Sheridan find another spooky alien space door again?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 26 September 2017, 04:12:12 »
Full disclosure, I haven't watched the series, and probably won't. However, after seeing an image of the new Klingons, I have to ask.

When did the Drazi cross universes and take up residence in the Klingon Empire? Did Sheridan find another spooky alien space door again?

Drazi!!! That is awesome, didnt notice it before and now I see it!!!

I just hate rewrites of history things I grew up with as a kid and loved every second. For a while about the Klingons I thought they were talking about the Romulans. I don't ever remember the Klingons keeping to themselves for a hundred years and not involve themselfs in anything with the Federation or others. Just that alone kinda made my hairs curl.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #108 on: 26 September 2017, 05:16:11 »
If we disregard the pay to view mentality.  Put it on CBS proper and it will get a consistent following.  Unless they are afraid of something?

Bwahahahaaaaaaa:

http://www.cbr.com/how-where-to-watch-star-trek-discovery/

Lucky Canadians. While the rest of the world has to figure out the right app to download and how to stream it to their TV, Canadians are just chilling. If you live in Canada, you can watch Star Trek: Discovery on the Space Channel, starting Sunday, September 24 at 8:30PM ET. Each episode will air on subsequent Sundays at 8:30PM ET.

If you can’t catch Discovery at its regular date and time, each episode can be found through participating On Demand channels, as well as the Space Go app. If you are anti-Space Channel, you can stream the series through the CraveTV streaming service starting Monday, September 25 at 10PM ET. Of course, access to Discovery on the CraveTV app requires a monthly subscription fee to the service.

Finally, if you prefer the French-language version of the series, Canadian viewers can watch Discovery on Z channel every Sunday, starting on September 24 at 9PM ET.

That said, I was ok with the changes. Gotta keep it fresh for the new folks, like my wife who's only familir with the Reboot by JJ Abrams
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 26 September 2017, 08:38:31 »
IIRC, the last ad I saw for it listed it as TV-MA so it's theoretically possible that future episodes might have more extreme content than we'd normally see on a broadcast show from CBS.
It's already guaranteed.
the FCC only controls the airwaves, not services like cable and streaming. That’s one reason why even basic cable shows like The Walking Dead can show a level of gore, nudity and cussing even ABC couldn’t even imagine in the middle of the night when most kids are in bed.

So will Discovery take advantage of the fact that there are no belly button censors around?

“The showrunners were like, ‘Oh yeah, we could do that. Of course, the response is, ‘As long as it serves the story.’ But yeah.”
http://geeknation.com/are-we-getting-an-r-rated-star-trek/ (may be NSFW)

There were also statements early on that they were going to be able to do things that they couldn't do even on Hannibal, since it's not broadcast, and the showrunners were excited at the prospect.  So yeah, expect to get some extreme content coming.  (Granted, not that Trek doesn't have a history of that, even back to TOS - see link)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #110 on: 26 September 2017, 09:26:36 »
A small gif from the shows twitter account of a scene showing the ships (Shenzou on the left Kilingons on the right) for those curious.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/912164968455213057
« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 09:29:23 by Kentares »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #111 on: 26 September 2017, 09:34:35 »
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/912158460577378304

Someone please tell me that was merely a camo masking or such and not a real cloaking device >.>
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #112 on: 26 September 2017, 09:40:04 »
Where I take issue is that I don't want to have to pay $100 to watch one show, especially since I'd have to get a new device to stream it on if I want to watch it on the big screen*.
Or you can wait until the season is over, pay $10 and watch it during that month.

Lots of people do it with GoT on HBO.

Depends on if you must be current or if you can wait.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #113 on: 26 September 2017, 09:42:41 »
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/912158460577378304

Someone please tell me that was merely a camo masking or such and not a real cloaking device >.>

I looked like a "Cloaking device" to me. But the Franklin had "image refractors" ....so is it that.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #114 on: 26 September 2017, 09:52:46 »
I looked like a "Cloaking device" to me. But the Franklin had "image refractors" ....so is it that.
At least it looks like everyone on that world didn't have working or highly sensitive sensors (like how our "baddie" didn't realize someone was using transporter or actively scanning the surface of his world.) So those image refractors did their job very well hiding Franklin from everyone's plain eyes.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #115 on: 26 September 2017, 11:28:21 »
Why not use an electrical vehicle to travel across the planet instead of walking?  It could have carried a larger comms rig to punch through the interference. 

Instead of using 'recalibrating', just use focusing.  Unless recalibrate has been redefined in the future.

Use a probe instead of a person to check something out.  Also if there are potential comms issues, send a pair of probes.  One to investigate, one to relay comms.

Were they able to have medical data, but not comms?

I'd like to know why the comms relay was so close to the debris field.  Couldn't it have been placed farther away?

Only three main characters currently (CO, XO, Science officer)

Klingon leader is politicking, selecting people to meet the Federation and die, and challenging anyone who believes otherwise.  The first died and was turned into a martyr.  His brother doubted and the leader doubted his honor.  Then the no-family-name stepped up and showed his fanaticism.

Bridge had windows, but no shades to cover them (and the shades could have had displays on the inside).

That 'new star' occurring was hot news in the Federation ('trending')

Overall, the first episode didn't grab me quite as much as I wanted.  Hopefully CBS pulls a stunt where they release it on their web site, but also on the television, but delayed.  1 month might be right.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #116 on: 26 September 2017, 12:41:04 »
Or you can wait until the season is over, pay $10 and watch it during that month.

Lots of people do it with GoT on HBO.

Depends on if you must be current or if you can wait.

With other factors involved it still doesn't make sense unless there were some other show to make it worth it.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #117 on: 26 September 2017, 14:04:35 »
*shrug* your choice.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #118 on: 26 September 2017, 14:53:26 »
That is the thing for me.

I don't hate it, it was actually okay but it isn't good enough I'd go out of my way to spend money on either.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #119 on: 26 September 2017, 16:06:21 »
If I watch it at all, it will be to see Michelle Yeoh as a star ship captain. 
I was actually excited for a moment when I saw her in the trailer, until I found out she wasn't the captain of the Discovery.   >:(
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Register