Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 163952 times)

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #120 on: 26 September 2017, 16:34:16 »
Or you can wait until the season is over, pay $10 and watch it during that month.
CBS has previously announced that they will not be keeping the whole series available on CBS All Access.  Only the last couple of episodes.  So, no paying for one month and binge watching.  :(
« Last Edit: 26 September 2017, 16:36:17 by mdauben »
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #121 on: 26 September 2017, 17:47:17 »
CBS has previously announced that they will not be keeping the whole series available on CBS All Access.  Only the last couple of episodes.  So, no paying for one month and binge watching.  :(

Wait, what?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #122 on: 26 September 2017, 18:21:24 »
I just hate rewrites of history things I grew up with as a kid and loved every second. For a while about the Klingons I thought they were talking about the Romulans. I don't ever remember the Klingons keeping to themselves for a hundred years and not involve themselfs in anything with the Federation or others. Just that alone kinda made my hairs curl.

Actually, in the old FASA continuity, there was a period much like this, but it was only for about five years...during this period, they pulled their fleets from the borders of Federation and Romulan space so they could fight the "Demon War" against the Kinshaya...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #123 on: 26 September 2017, 19:55:18 »

So they want people to stream it without allowing them to do one of the main features people use streaming services for?

Yeah, watching this train wreck is going to be fun.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #124 on: 26 September 2017, 20:20:45 »

Got a source for that? Cause I find that hard to believe.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #125 on: 26 September 2017, 21:09:10 »
I just searched. Didnt find an article saying anywhere CBS would prevent end of season binge watching. There has to be a limit to their stupidity, after all.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 26 September 2017, 21:56:11 »
I watched the pilot. Here's what I came away with:

1. They managed to make Klingons, speaking Klingon, giving speeches that should be filled with foreboding, menace, and charisma...boring.  All that expense in the redesign and frankly, they should've just knucked down and used Claymation, with the speech rendered via voice-booth and mixing.  The Nu-Klingons were lifeless and stiff, more 'rubber suit' than TOS Gorn.  For as visually busy as the sets were, the actors and extras in the background might as well have been animatronic statues.
2. T'Kuvma's four nostrils didn't communicate menace in the close-up, the pallid 'torchbearer' replacement scene was just...dead. The funeral scene was too long, and again, it was visually about as exciting as the observation of paint drying.  The lines were delivered without emotion, or reverence.  It was like listening to an expense report being read, or powerpoint.

3. The Main Character.  the actress is absolutely beautiful, she's really gorgeous, hot even, really pretty.  I'm told she's very talented, I don't know. I didn't see that.  Maybe if her character wasn't written as an irresponsible moron, an educated idiot, "The very model of a modern starfleet Officer!!"(sung to the tune of "Model Major General" from gilbert and sullivan)

4. Space visuals and planet scene: outstanding visuals, really, really great visuals, amazing visuals, did I mention the special effects and external space visuals? Lovely, truly amazing work.

5. Supporting cast: Michelle Yeoh didn't disappoint. Probably the best thing in the show, perhaps because whatever blundering idiot wrote the main character didn't have enough time to make her a ****** idiot.

Outcome:

Special Effects Pron.  Not worth catching part two, this is grocery-store-bargain-CD fodder or something you buy for someone you don't really like as a white elephant gift in the office christmas pool.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #127 on: 27 September 2017, 04:03:19 »
$6 bucks if you want limited commercials.....have no idea what that means, or $10 bucks for no commercials. Hopefully this CBS thing will fail and be on normal streaming services like Amazon or Netflix.

The Klingons were speaking Klingon and that was pretty neat, but boy do they talk sloooow.
The visuals of the ships and the surronding space was awesome.
Didn't understand the worker with the Huge Daft Punk Style Helmet. Im sure we will find out whats going on there.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #128 on: 27 September 2017, 09:33:30 »

FWIW, The Good Fight, CBS' other online-only show, has all ten episodes of its first season available on All Access. I would expect the same for Discovery.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #129 on: 27 September 2017, 11:31:53 »

Star Trek Discovery on Netflix has the option to subtitle in klingon. :D

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #130 on: 27 September 2017, 11:49:41 »
.... :o
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #131 on: 27 September 2017, 12:15:29 »

Available everywhere Netflix does business except the USA and, perhaps, Canada.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #132 on: 27 September 2017, 12:27:22 »
Available everywhere Netflix does business except the USA and, perhaps, Canada.

That's right, not on Netflix here in Canada. We get to watch in on Space (a cable channel here). Oh joy  ::)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #133 on: 27 September 2017, 13:43:43 »
So basically everywhere else also ahve to pay to watch Star Trek Discovery.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #134 on: 27 September 2017, 13:50:56 »
Yes, but most of them are able to get it using a pay service that's much larger and has more and better content than what we're stuck with in the US.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #135 on: 27 September 2017, 13:57:58 »
Sorry, I've been following this mess online since it was first announced.  I remember reading that and discussing it with others, but at this point I have no idea where I read it or what the source was, other than it seemed legit at the time.  Maybe I'm wrong.   :-\
Mike

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #136 on: 27 September 2017, 15:55:14 »
Yes, but most of them are able to get it using a pay service that's much larger and has more and better content than what we're stuck with in the US.

I think CBS is hopping to cash in on the younger crowd that is starting to get away from traditional TV.  Scary part is it just might work out for them.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #137 on: 27 September 2017, 17:43:56 »
It's a direction that TV is heading in.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #138 on: 27 September 2017, 18:14:01 »
I'm not super against it either.  I just would like them to make use of existing streaming services rather than them trying their own.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #139 on: 27 September 2017, 22:35:40 »
I'm not super against it either.  I just would like them to make use of existing streaming services rather than them trying their own.

Not a chance - it'll go in the opposite direction. You will see more and more pull out of Hulu and Netflix to start their own services.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #140 on: 27 September 2017, 23:02:23 »
Yeah I know and I rather suspect the masses will reward them for it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #141 on: 28 September 2017, 08:17:34 »
Having not long watched it, the show was....eeeehhh...  It was all show, no underwear.  Lots of razzle dazzle and sound, with not too much substance.  Wasn't impressed with the main character.  Not really that good.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #142 on: 28 September 2017, 10:30:15 »
Not a chance - it'll go in the opposite direction. You will see more and more pull out of Hulu and Netflix to start their own services.
I'm going to do what I can to resist that.  I canceled my traditional cable TV service earlier this year and subscribed to Netflix and Hulu.  I'm very satisfied with that but what I don't want to do is have to subscribe to a dozen different streaming services to get one program from each.  For around $10 a month I get more movies and TV shows from Netflix that I can watch.  For $10 I would get one show from CBS All Access.  So, no, not going to support that.
Mike

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #143 on: 28 September 2017, 12:36:18 »
But that $10 a month for Star Trek will help them fund more shows...at least that's what their thinking is.

Honestly they should have invested in more shows than just Discovery and The Good Fight at launch instead of hoping Discovery will carry it till they get around to adding new shows.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #144 on: 28 September 2017, 14:15:29 »
I suspect that because CBS doesn't have their shows on Hulu and Netflix having such a delay for any of their shows that people wanting to stream other existing shows will also help propel the service and make that $10 a month a bit easier to swallow.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #145 on: 28 September 2017, 15:42:15 »
They have over 2 million subscribers already due to their other programming, with an increase of 30% in the last 6 months.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #146 on: 28 September 2017, 15:46:17 »
I'd be surprised if they're not making a profit from the Netflix deal alone.  Paramount are very good at extracting money from Star Trek.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #147 on: 28 September 2017, 16:37:14 »
They have all the Series on CBS Prime....I wonder how much longer Netflix will have it also.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #148 on: 29 September 2017, 10:40:27 »
I think CBS is hopping to cash in on the younger crowd that is starting to get away from traditional TV.  Scary part is it just might work out for them.
Not just the "younger crowd" that's getting away from traditional TV services.  I dropped my cable TV earlier this year, and for less than half my previous cost I watch Netflix and Hulu now.  I just could not put up with paying all that money for the half-dozen shows I was actually watching every month.

My complaint about the way they are presenting STD isn't that its only offered on a pay service, its that its only offered on an overpriced pay service that does not offer me anything else I want to watch, at the almost same price as Netflix or Hulu.  I'd rather they just offered it on Netflix or Hulu, or as a second choice as a much cheaper CBS only service. 
Mike

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #149 on: 29 September 2017, 10:44:45 »
And that is kind of what gets me about it too.  They have deals with Netflix in certain regions so why can't they just do that for all regions?

Which is the part about younger audiences I was getting at.  While older may be making the switch too I am willing to bet they are less likely to pay for yet another streaming service.

Register