Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164193 times)

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #180 on: 01 October 2017, 15:58:15 »
I completely missed it and i can't find a on-demand source try watch it.  So i guess won't be seeing it for years then.
Only on CBS All Access. Not on hula or Netflix. But they're allowing Netflix to show it....outside the USA and Canada.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #181 on: 01 October 2017, 16:00:08 »
Only on CBS All Access. Not on hula or Netflix. But they're allowing Netflix to show it....outside the USA and Canada.
Because there is no CBS all acess outside the US. Partly because they have already licensed the rights to many of their shows in variously ways outside the US.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #182 on: 01 October 2017, 16:02:58 »
Netflix has a global (outside the US, Canada and China) deal with CBS for the Star Trek TV series, including Discovery.  I'd be willing to bet that it's offset a massive percentage of the cost of the show.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #183 on: 01 October 2017, 16:47:15 »
As stated before, it also available on regular Cable in Canada on the SPACE Channel:

https://www.space.ca/show/star-trek-discovery/
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #184 on: 01 October 2017, 17:24:54 »
As stated before, it also available on regular Cable in Canada on the SPACE Channel:

https://www.space.ca/show/star-trek-discovery/
Regionally banned for me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #185 on: 01 October 2017, 19:07:17 »
So far? It's been one or two episodes (depending on how much of the premiere you saw). They haven't really done much yet.

Considering they knew going in they would have one chance to sell people on why they should watch the show before it went behind a pay wall, I'd say it is fair to condemn them for not making sure the Klingons were not boring from the get go.

Ultimately though I think that is my problem with the show.  It actually wasn't that bad unless you go in determined to hate it but at the same time it wasn't good enough I'd pay extra money to keep watching it.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #186 on: 01 October 2017, 22:11:01 »
Considering they knew going in they would have one chance to sell people on why they should watch the show before it went behind a pay wall, I'd say it is fair to condemn them for not making sure the Klingons were not boring from the get go.

Ultimately though I think that is my problem with the show.  It actually wasn't that bad unless you go in determined to hate it but at the same time it wasn't good enough I'd pay extra money to keep watching it.
The 'look' change wasn't what killed it for me, it was two things:

1. They made their antagonists boring.  The 'new look' could've been great-if it didn't come off so completely wooden once the picture was in motion, if these nu-Klingons weren't so lemming-like in group scenes, if they weren't all moving so stiffly in every motion scene, if they had the ability to have anything but ONE expression (the one molded into the mask).
boring.
2. Burnham wasn't such an idiot.  by the third time I wanted to scream "are you stupid?" at the screen (she was doing the spacewalk and was out of contact, so decided to take a stroll on the object.  jesus, she hadn't even one-shotted the Klingon yet...)

it's like they spent the entire writing budget on those amazing visuals in space, and the entire direction budget to hire Michelle Yeoh as the galaxy's most expensive redshirt.

by the end of the first hour, I didn't want the second...but my roomies did.

as for the klingons in ep. 2 'acting just like tng" that's complete and utter horse shit.  They were identically as wooden, and nearly identical in their expressionless, emotion-less, wooden delivery of lines.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #187 on: 01 October 2017, 23:33:32 »
Netflix has a global (outside the US, Canada and China) deal with CBS for the Star Trek TV series, including Discovery.  I'd be willing to bet that it's offset a massive percentage of the cost of the show.

Not so sure - remember that Netflix has deals with tons of networks, not to mention their own streaming shows. That $10/month needs to cover all that as well as running costs, espesially as they have no advertisment income.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #188 on: 02 October 2017, 01:48:13 »
I'm sure that having the international distribution rights to the show gained Netflix plenty of new subscriptions.  Certainly it's a better deal than what we're getting in the US.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #189 on: 02 October 2017, 05:09:19 »
Already saw episode 3 (on Netflix)... Ill wait for more people to see it before posting anything.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 05:11:40 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #190 on: 02 October 2017, 05:53:17 »
I've also watched episode 3 and continue to enjoy the show

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #191 on: 02 October 2017, 06:03:20 »
Not so sure - remember that Netflix has deals with tons of networks, not to mention their own streaming shows. That $10/month needs to cover all that as well as running costs, espesially as they have no advertisment income.

bear in mind that Paramount made a profit on TMP before the movie was in theatres. They're really good at this

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #192 on: 02 October 2017, 06:49:37 »
I've also watched episode 3 and continue to enjoy the show

Same Discovery looks interesting shame about the Glenn though
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #193 on: 02 October 2017, 12:49:41 »
As I understand it, Discovery is explicitly a science ship, like an Oberth class.
TOS Enterprise and TNG Enterprise were nominal exploratory vessels, but they were heavily armed and regularly took part in combat operations.  What the show choses to call the Discovery is irrelevant.  If it has photon torpedoes and phasers (and I'll bet the farm it does) then its a ship capable of combat, i.e. a warship.

From the previews, it looks like she's part of a penal unit, or in a Tom Paris type situation.
Tom Paris on the Voyager was a special case.  Just like Chakotay and B'Elanna Torres, they were used by the Captain because they ship was in an emergency situation, possibly permanently out of contact with the Federation, and IIRC short handed.  None of those three would have been put into positions of authority on the ship in normal situations by any sane military organization. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #194 on: 02 October 2017, 13:29:25 »
So ep 3 was the ACTUAL premier, given that eps 1&2 are an extended prologue. Still not getting a Trek vibe. Were this any other sci fi, it'd be ok. As Trek, it's still ok. But it's not gripping. I don't CARE about any of the characters, what's happening to them, or the pseudo-science mumbo jumbo. I give it one more episode, then I'm out.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #195 on: 02 October 2017, 13:40:38 »
TOS Enterprise and TNG Enterprise were nominal exploratory vessels, but they were heavily armed and regularly took part in combat operations.  What the show choses to call the Discovery is irrelevant.  If it has photon torpedoes and phasers (and I'll bet the farm it does) then its a ship capable of combat, i.e. a warship.

Spoken like a true ToS Klingon, it's got guns - must be a battlecruiser.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #196 on: 02 October 2017, 13:42:37 »
Spoken like a true ToS Klingon, it's got guns - must be a battlecruiser.

Preview for ep 4 has Lorca calling Discovery a warship, ergo, it's a warship.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #197 on: 02 October 2017, 13:54:05 »

No, warships are designed only for combat; an armed merchant man is not a warship. The first warship designed by Starfleet was the Defiant from DS9, also Starfleet is not a hardline military organization like the US Navy.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #198 on: 02 October 2017, 14:06:38 »
Starfleet is not a hardline military organization like the US Navy.
It did come close though when you go by The Undiscovered Country...
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #199 on: 02 October 2017, 17:12:05 »
No, warships are designed only for combat; an armed merchant man is not a warship. The first warship designed by Starfleet was the Defiant from DS9, also Starfleet is not a hardline military organization like the US Navy.

The TOS Enterprise and the Enterprise D had superior firepower to the standard Klingon battlecruisers of each era.  The Defiant's biggest difference was that when compared to a Galaxy or similar class ship, it wasn't designed to do anything but fight.  The Enterprise E wasn't technically a warship and it was a hell of a lot more powerful than the Defiant.  Arguing that ships with that much firepower aren't warships is not really believable: when the Federation went to war, those were the types of ships they brought out and they did pretty darned well with them.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #200 on: 02 October 2017, 18:05:55 »
Not quite true... Many warships are designed to support things in addition to combat (pick an amphib... they can do HA/DR quite well, and carriers aren't bad either; hell, anything that can catch a helo can do SAR like nobody's business).

And honestly, the US Navy was conceived to do more than just warfighting.  Check the Constitution: "maintain" a Navy, and "raise" armies.  Our job jar has always had more than war in it...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #201 on: 02 October 2017, 18:24:31 »
I'd like to mention that Star Trek is always influx.  During the TNG run, that Scotty had mentioned that he had servered on various ships including Frigates.  Clearly a military type of ship.  Frigates are listed in the Star Trek Encyclopedia.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #202 on: 02 October 2017, 18:52:55 »
I can see both points of view as true and false at the same time.

The problem is what Star Trek gave us through the series as to what role(s) UFP is supposed to be (have).

Ignoring Abramsverse the other series where UFP is present (in the universe timeline - after Enterprise) the Federation ships were supposed to be a sort of pacekeeping/exploratory ships but only with self defense capabilities (some classes better at it while others worse). Starting with DS9 where for the first time the Federation is at war in decades the design philosophy changed (after the defeat at Wolf 359 - hence the Defiant class) to give better warmongering capabilities and attacking foes instead of a defending attitude (and IIRC this is mentioned by a couple of characters in one of the SITREPs when the Defiant is introduced in the show).
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 19:07:09 by Kentares »

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #203 on: 02 October 2017, 19:41:21 »
I'm honestly shocked at the replies trying do declare science, exploration, and diplomatic ships as warships simply because they can defend themselves well. Is an Oberth class now a warship because it has phasers? A Nebula because of torpedo launchers? How about a Danube class runabout? Apparently a Voth City ship is just a massive warship now...
That's a bit hyperbolic, but you get my drift right? Just because they can be used in combat does not mean they are warships.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #204 on: 02 October 2017, 19:51:03 »
I'd say it's the culture behind a ship that defines it.  A ship is an object a tool like a spade or hammer.  You can use a ship to explore or you can use it to fight just like you can use a hammer to build or kill
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #205 on: 02 October 2017, 20:13:00 »
I'm honestly shocked at the replies trying do declare science, exploration, and diplomatic ships as warships simply because they can defend themselves well.

When your science, exploration, and diplomatic ships have enough firepower and shields to be more than a match for the purpose-built warships of your very hostile neighbors, the distinction becomes fuzzy.  This is one of the reasons that all the Federation's neighbors are so wary of it: it can build a ship capable of killing all multicellular life on a planet, then claims that it's not a combat vessel yet still sends it out to fight whenever the Borg or Dominion are feeling frisky.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #206 on: 02 October 2017, 20:17:15 »
Yep, I think that's the key right there... When it takes planet killing firepower to "defend yourself well", you've crossed the line into "that's a warship"...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #207 on: 02 October 2017, 22:17:10 »
When your science, exploration, and diplomatic ships have enough firepower and shields to be more than a match for the purpose-built warships of your very hostile neighbors, the distinction becomes fuzzy.  This is one of the reasons that all the Federation's neighbors are so wary of it: it can build a ship capable of killing all multicellular life on a planet, then claims that it's not a combat vessel yet still sends it out to fight whenever the Borg or Dominion are feeling frisky.
Considering Errand of Mercy was on Saturday night on MeTV, that's a distinction that should be made.  The Enterprise starts the episode by sinking a Klingon cruiser that fired first, ducked and ran when the Klingon fleet showed up, and returned with a Federation combat force willing to go to war in Organia orbit.

You can arm science ships and research vessels for self protection, but you don't willingly bring those into battle.
If the in-character captain of the ship says she's a battlewagon, she's a battlewagon.  It may be a fantastic one or a poor one, but quality doesn't make the soul of a vessel.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
« Reply #208 on: 02 October 2017, 23:47:04 »
You can arm science ships and research vessels for self protection, but you don't willingly bring those into battle.

You do if they're the only thing you've got...Wolf 359.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #209 on: 03 October 2017, 04:09:35 »
You do if they're the only thing you've got...Wolf 359.

Hence my post above. Up until that the Federation wasnt considering making/using true warships (like the Klingons, Cardassians and so on) as a design philosophy. Wolf 359 changed that.

EDIT = A funny idea came to mind... thinking Jacques Cousteau Calypso trending through the seas but armed with 152mm guns and Exocet missiles.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2017, 04:17:16 by Kentares »