Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164260 times)

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #240 on: 03 October 2017, 20:18:09 »
The Federation had a huge advantage in the Space front. A Nebula class was more then enough to cause problems for the Cardies
The various appearances on screen of the Nebulas fighting Cardassians would seem to suggest otherwise. The Phoenix only took out an unknown warship and still took heavy damage from the single salvo it got off. Likewise, the Honshu was easily dispatched by the Cardassians when carrying Dukat and Sisko. Beyond that, we have no information, at least not that I can recall, that says the Federation was running roughshod over the Cardassians in space.

The Federation never took it to them like a invasion, attacked huge sectors, core worlds, and beyond.
What? Setlik III was most certainly an invasion. And in any case, just because your core worlds aren't attacked does not mean it's not a "real" war. The continental United States was not attacked (I'm not counting submarine shellings or hot air bombs) during WWII yet no one would dispute that the US was on a full war footing and suffered substantial casualties.

The Excelsior was a Battleship at one point then turned into just a cruiser.
I'm sorry but do you have a source for this? If the Constitutions were, canonically as per Star Trek III, heavy cruisers then I have a hard time believing that the Excelsior was considered a "better" ship than that. On top of that, "battleship" is hardly a term I can see Rodenberry, who was very much still in the middle of things when Star Trek III was filmed, signing off on. It's just not a very appropriate term for how Starfleet was viewed.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #241 on: 03 October 2017, 20:45:34 »
I'm pretty sure I am Belch was referring to the Federation/Cardassian war that had broken out before the events of The Next Generation, not the fight against the Cardassians during the Dominion War.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

GreyWolfActual

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #242 on: 03 October 2017, 20:57:15 »
I'm pretty sure I am Belch was referring to the Federation/Cardassian war that had broken out before the events of The Next Generation, not the fight against the Cardassians during the Dominion War.
I agree. Setlik III was the massacre that Captain Maxwell (TNG: The Wounded) lost his family in. Likewise, the Phoenix destroyed the unknown Cardassian warship during the events of The Wounded. The Honshu was indeed destroyed during the Dominion War but the rest of my points are very much about the earlier Federation/Cardassian War.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #243 on: 03 October 2017, 22:02:53 »
Grey, he might be referring to Star Fleet Battles or the various computer games, in referring the Excelsior-Class as a Battleship (BB). If anything, the Ex would be a Battle Cruiser, simply because of the number of Phaser Turrets angles it covers on the primary hull (5, as opposed to 3 seen on Ent & Reliant's hull). In the movies (and TV) it was never referred to what kind of military class, thus comparing to Star Fleet's Navy but Not Navy conventions...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #244 on: 04 October 2017, 04:10:34 »
What I was saying the Federation never really tried to invade Cardassian space, they were on a defensive footing over a offensive footing. The Federation had some crap diplomats and lost more worlds that way then in the actual fighting. The Cardassians did have a advantage over the Stargazer (out of date ship) and made Picard turn tale and run.
I wasn't talking anything about the Dominion War, that is when they got a upgrade in tech and tactics with the help of their major allies in the Dominion.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #245 on: 04 October 2017, 06:27:48 »
Not at present.  I threw it through my TV when they cancelled Enterprise.

... just as it was getting good. It helped that they finally got writers on the show that understood the Star Trek universe.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

GreyWolfActual

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #246 on: 04 October 2017, 06:34:12 »
The Cardassians did have a advantage over the Stargazer (out of date ship) and made Picard turn tale and run.
But that's not true either. The Cardassians had such an advantage over the Stargazer because Picard lowered his shields (again, cited in the episodes "The Wounded"). That's not an advantage you can extrapolate to the entire war.
-Saul Tigh

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #247 on: 04 October 2017, 07:54:41 »
... just as it was getting good. It helped that they finally got writers on the show that understood the Star Trek universe.

Yup Enterprise was getting to the good part when they canned it the actors were getting comfortable it was working shame it lost viewers before then
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #248 on: 04 October 2017, 08:35:56 »
It was on upn during its deathspin right? I think that contributed a little bit, had it been on a more successful channel it might have done better. But i agree it got canned as it was getting its rhythm.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #249 on: 04 October 2017, 09:58:14 »
Yup Enterprise was getting to the good part when they canned it

A show that is just getting good after four seasons deserves to be canceled. Hell, should have been canceled sooner.

GreyWolfActual

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #250 on: 04 October 2017, 10:05:59 »
A show that is just getting good after four seasons deserves to be canceled. Hell, should have been canceled sooner.
Yeah. "Let's do a throwback show and fill in all the holes. Actually, let's introduce more time travel in the first episode, new races that all have no relevance to TOS, TNG, DS9, or VOY, and then hold off on explaining any backstory until we know we're about to be cancelled."

How could that have gone wrong?
-Saul Tigh

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #251 on: 04 October 2017, 10:22:57 »
I would of been more of a fan of Enterprise if the Xindi War was just deleted at all. That is where I turned it off. Season 4 was some of the best writing and stories of the show. If they could of done that a couple years earlier it might just of made it all 7 seasons. There should of been more Tellerites and from what I read the Kizinti from the Cartoon and Star Fleet Battles would of shown up. 

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #252 on: 04 October 2017, 12:24:31 »
I would of been more of a fan of Enterprise if the Xindi War was just deleted at all. That is where I turned it off. Season 4 was some of the best writing and stories of the show. If they could of done that a couple years earlier it might just of made it all 7 seasons. There should of been more Tellerites and from what I read the Kizinti from the Cartoon and Star Fleet Battles would of shown up.
The Earth-Romulan War. IN full.
The NX Refit that would actually show a design lineage to NCC-1701 and beyond.
These are what we would have had ENT gotten another season.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #253 on: 04 October 2017, 13:25:47 »
Keep in mind that the Cardassian War was a key backstory development for a lot of characters, especially DS9. O'Brien had something to tell of a battle. Sisko. From what I read on Memory-Alpha, there were a lot of brushfires going on in all that time.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #254 on: 04 October 2017, 19:46:10 »
Keep in mind that the Cardassian War was a key backstory development for a lot of characters, especially DS9. O'Brien had something to tell of a battle. Sisko. From what I read on Memory-Alpha, there were a lot of brushfires going on in all that time.

Thats why I called a "hot" cold war in my previous post.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #255 on: 04 October 2017, 19:50:12 »

Plus the Demilitarized Zone after the war, where some Federation colonies wound up in Cardassian territory, and vice versa.  You even had he Federation going back later and giving the Cardassians more worlds (i.e. Journey's End).  There is even Pre-Emptive strike where the Federation was protecting a Cardassian ship from the Maquis (former Federation citizens that now live in the Demilitarized Zone).

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #256 on: 05 October 2017, 15:03:21 »
Do not watch if you don't want to be spoiled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oIpBzNUcI

Seriously that's what the ship Discovery is about?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #257 on: 05 October 2017, 15:13:15 »
Do not watch if you don't want to be spoiled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-oIpBzNUcI

Seriously that's what the ship Discovery is about?

Wait...what...I...what...how...what...good god...what have they done?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #258 on: 05 October 2017, 15:30:43 »
Well, if they find there's something hugely destructive in all this, maybe a Starflight/Starflight 2 thing of "oh god we were using actual sapient living creatures as fuel" it would make sense why we never hear about it later.  The fact it seems to only work for 'where you were before' based on those entanglement canisters (assuming again that's legit) also gives it drawbacks, but...

Hey at least they're being creative, but I do hope to see a proper warp core engine room on Disco.  Haven't seen any of it, does it have one?  (I mean it's got nacelles)
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #259 on: 05 October 2017, 15:37:21 »
So does the ship have a regular warp drive and this is just some secret prototype kind of thing? Please tell me that isn't the main form of propulsion on the ship...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #260 on: 05 October 2017, 15:54:10 »
The warp drive is visible at the back of the engineering set.  It looks more like the warp drive on the TOS engineering set, there's no big pulsating tube like in the movies and TNG (which was because they used the same set, of course)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #261 on: 05 October 2017, 16:36:20 »
I also find this video interesting... spoilering risk...  ;D

https://youtu.be/KoW8Sq8-hr4
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Pht

• Private
« Reply #262 on: 06 October 2017, 00:16:43 »
Saw the first episode; not going to spend money to see if they can make it any better.

Frankly, CBS tying this behind a paywall reminds me of DX10 being tied to vista for no other reason than to try and force people off of xp.
Dog with a bone, that's me...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #263 on: 06 October 2017, 09:02:03 »

yeah that came on after the clip I posted. I find that theory very intriguing and does appear to make Discovery fit "neatly" into the lineup of the Shows and the setting.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #264 on: 06 October 2017, 09:30:37 »

yeah that came on after the clip I posted. I find that theory very intriguing and does appear to make Discovery fit "neatly" into the lineup of the Shows and the setting.
That's pretty interesting theory.  I do wonder if this is true is how Captain Garth fits into the original canon as a fallen "Hero".  If theory is true, his activities on Discovery would not be known publically.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #265 on: 06 October 2017, 13:59:53 »
One thing that happened a fair bit in Trek is that the characters would encounter a Starfleet ship or officer who had gone too far, become morally conflicted, or was 'bad' in some other way.  Kirk, Picard, Sisko, hell even Janeway got in on that action!  Discovery is the story of one of those ships.  We don't know enough yet to say that Lorca is an antagonist, or a sympathetic figure who's gone too far, or something else (maybe he's just got a flair for the dramatic?) - but part of the story is going to be exploring him as a person.

Basically, this is In The Pale Moonlight - the series.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #266 on: 06 October 2017, 14:23:20 »
I dont understand the Shroom-drive but it was perfect "Star Trek" technology. Using a science to make things better.

The Shroom-drive kinda reminds me of that Voyager episode with the Equinox that was killing aliens and using them as fuel for a super warp drive to get home.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #267 on: 06 October 2017, 14:26:23 »
Lieutenant Stametz on the show is named after a real-life Mycologst, who was on After Trek last week.  He seemed not dismissive of the spore drive, but he did seem to be into his metaphysics (and psilocybin)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #268 on: 06 October 2017, 16:57:03 »
That's pretty interesting theory.  I do wonder if this is true is how Captain Garth fits into the original canon as a fallen "Hero".  If theory is true, his activities on Discovery would not be known publically.

I like the theory it would be a different take and so far would fit with what's been seen

One thing that happened a fair bit in Trek is that the characters would encounter a Starfleet ship or officer who had gone too far, become morally conflicted, or was 'bad' in some other way.  Kirk, Picard, Sisko, hell even Janeway got in on that action!  Discovery is the story of one of those ships.  We don't know enough yet to say that Lorca is an antagonist, or a sympathetic figure who's gone too far, or something else (maybe he's just got a flair for the dramatic?) - but part of the story is going to be exploring him as a person.

Basically, this is In The Pale Moonlight - the series.

I've no issues with that the idea that Discovery is on the wrong path and it's new recruit is trying to set it right from the inside.  Will she succeed or Will it corrupt her?

I said before I think that this season is essentially the story of how she becomes Discovery's CO.  Lorca as a fallen "hero/mentor" could be interesting
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #269 on: 07 October 2017, 01:14:13 »
Haven't actually watched it yet, but isn't she already corrupted? I mean, she was in prison...