Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164854 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #390 on: 22 October 2017, 09:24:58 »
After they changed the story to use the Klingons they had a scene in an early draft of the script explaining that the Bird of Prey was a stolen Romulan ship, but it was dropped long before filming.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #391 on: 22 October 2017, 09:57:45 »
Sorry for coming late to this chat, but what does STD's D-7 look like?  Is it that rather bulky looking thing or the one that looks like a rack of ribs that's been folded over?
I posted a youtube link above. Here it is again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS8NbY-FYyo
This is Trekyard's thoughts on the ST:D D7. They also used a TOS D7 for comparison.
1:05 is when Trekyard starts ghosting out their TOS D7 model from the actual STD D7.
2:34 for the first showing of the From-Above and rear quarter
2:41 for the close up of the ship from the Prelude's battle

Also for the record, the ST:D 'reimagined' Klingons are the official look of the *entire* species. When the "clergy" klingon summoned the leaders of the Great Houses of the Empire, they all look like the clergy Klingon. Not resembling the TOS, the Motion Picture, and the TNG Klingons at all (that would have been a great way to show that the Klingons had their own ethnicities like we do).
« Last Edit: 22 October 2017, 10:00:14 by HobbesHurlbut »
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #392 on: 22 October 2017, 11:18:14 »
When they said "we haven't heard much of the Klingons in a 100 years", that made me say Romulans, with the weird looking ships, the Light of Khless with Wings it screamed Romulan to me.

Its the blowing up the 50 years of history that got us to this point. I don't care about the tech looking better, and other things, its just the history before that is blown out of the water that is upsetting to me.

Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #393 on: 22 October 2017, 16:06:57 »
Of course, everything since in the shows and movies has negated those theories and events, like so much of the rest of the old FASA RPG...

A direct result of Roddenberry and Paramount being absolutely appalled by FASA's handling of the property. The show producers completely misunderstood what made the universe interesting for gamers. They hated that there was so much conflict (both background and in-game), they hated that players would rather use their own PCs over characters from the show, and they hated that FASA made a Next Gen sourcebook without explicit permission - okay, fair enough on the last point.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #394 on: 22 October 2017, 17:04:49 »
In fairness, there's a good bit of circumstantial TOS justification for Klingons with cloaking devices.  The Romulans were using three D7s in the episode The Enterprise Incident, very soon after they'd just lost the subwarp border-raider to the Enterprise.  The Romulans modernized quickly, clearly getting ships from the Klingons, which worked just fine with the Cloaking Device.  And they'd have to trade something to the Klingons to get those ships; while AFAIK it's not stated directly in the episode the implication is certainly possible.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #395 on: 22 October 2017, 17:30:47 »
In fairness, there's a good bit of circumstantial TOS justification for Klingons with cloaking devices.  The Romulans were using three D7s in the episode The Enterprise Incident, very soon after they'd just lost the subwarp border-raider to the Enterprise.  The Romulans modernized quickly, clearly getting ships from the Klingons, which worked just fine with the Cloaking Device.  And they'd have to trade something to the Klingons to get those ships; while AFAIK it's not stated directly in the episode the implication is certainly possible.

That's actually something I found extraordinarily stupid in "Balance of Terror"...saying the Romulan Bird of Prey just had impulse propulsion, which everyone translates as being incapable of warp speed...if the ship can't go faster than light, there was no way one ship would be able to hit all those listening posts, much less made the trip from Romulan space in the amount of time it would have had (it would have taken decades, if not centuries to make it between stars...space is BIG after all)...In this instance would agree with the Starfleet Battles interpretation of this, and that they did have warp capability, it just wasn't of a type at which you could fight...

I could easily see the Klingons trading ships and warp combat technology for cloaking technology...and maybe even the plasma torpedo technology (like they did in the FASA RPG)...

BTW, speaking of the D7 and looking predatory, take a look at the image in the middle of this page (taken from some book in the FASA RPG if I'm not mistaken):

http://www.ststcsolda.space/klingons/D-7/D-7.html

Absolutely love that image...although the stats of the ship in the game never seemed to live up to the vessel's hype to me...should have had at least a forward facing torpedo tube (if not a rear facing one as well), and two more disrupters (which I think I would have as rear facing)...would have loved that vessel...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #396 on: 22 October 2017, 17:41:58 »
That's actually something I found extraordinarily stupid in "Balance of Terror"...saying the Romulan Bird of Prey just had impulse propulsion, which everyone translates as being incapable of warp speed...if the ship can't go faster than light, there was no way one ship would be able to hit all those listening posts, much less made the trip from Romulan space in the amount of time it would have had (it would have taken decades, if not centuries to make it between stars...space is BIG after all)...
Romulans steal the Spore Drive and use it in those ships?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #397 on: 22 October 2017, 18:02:59 »

Amusingly, the reason the Romulans had D-7s in that episode was to justify the cost of the D-7 model.  They weren't writing enough episodes with Klingons in them.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #398 on: 22 October 2017, 18:17:47 »
Amusingly, the reason the Romulans had D-7s in that episode was to justify the cost of the D-7 model.  They weren't writing enough episodes with Klingons in them.

I believe I've read that the original model of the Romulan Bird of Prey had also been destroyed as the creator hadn't been paid or somesuch...in any case, it wasn't available for use...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #399 on: 22 October 2017, 18:20:01 »

Amusingly, to me the D-7 already looks pretty Romulan. Take a Romulan bird of prey, turn it around, flip it over, and add the neck and command section.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #400 on: 22 October 2017, 18:51:22 »
I believe I've read that the original model of the Romulan Bird of Prey had also been destroyed as the creator hadn't been paid or somesuch...in any case, it wasn't available for use...

Ruger

It was a persistent rumour, but according to Memory Alpha, the D7 was in the script from the get-go

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #401 on: 22 October 2017, 23:37:08 »
So I've been hearing the last few days All Access has been a no go. (Something on their end is messed up.) Funnily enough every has been saying the only thing that plays is the commercials).
Anyone here been having any issues?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #402 on: 23 October 2017, 03:18:23 »
Episode 6 showed up on time on Netflix, so if there is a problem it's not effecting international distribution

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #403 on: 23 October 2017, 08:59:25 »
Discovery just got renewed for Season 2.
Dont know if its going to be a CBS Prime only thing.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #404 on: 23 October 2017, 09:03:36 »
That's actually something I found extraordinarily stupid in "Balance of Terror"...saying the Romulan Bird of Prey just had impulse propulsion, which everyone translates as being incapable of warp speed...if the ship can't go faster than light, there was no way one ship would be able to hit all those listening posts, much less made the trip from Romulan space in the amount of time it would have had (it would have taken decades, if not centuries to make it between stars...space is BIG after all)...In this instance would agree with the Starfleet Battles interpretation of this, and that they did have warp capability, it just wasn't of a type at which you could fight...
I always took that to mean that they had impulse for power sources, not that they didn't have warp drives.
The exact line is "their power is simple impulse". Power, not the engine. Nowhere in the episode does Scott say they have only impulse engines. The Romulans kept fretting over their fuel reserve. So the Klingon-Romulan trade gave them access to A/M power source as well better warp drive technology.

I think we went over this same subject in a different thread a long ago  ;D
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #405 on: 23 October 2017, 10:52:59 »
If you look at the map of the Romulan Empire in balance of terror, it suggests that it's tiny.

Or that Romulus and Remus weren't in the same solar system, which is equally problematic

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #406 on: 23 October 2017, 11:30:47 »
If you look at the map of the Romulan Empire in balance of terror, it suggests that it's tiny.

Or that Romulus and Remus weren't in the same solar system, which is equally problematic
There's also the line by Picard from Insurrection. When he said 100 years ago, that was also roughly the time when the Romulans acquired the D7s.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #407 on: 23 October 2017, 13:41:59 »
Regardless of whether you like the show or not, can we all agree that in honour of those dope as all hell T-shirts Burnham and Tilly had on this week, that the show's nickname is now DISCO?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #408 on: 25 October 2017, 11:58:13 »
Interesting take on what or how viewers should watch the series. The Verge article basically says, "Just Enjoy it" see it if let it try entertain you.  That Discovery only loosely follows canon timeline. 

It's a detailed article, it's good way handle the drastic differences it has with old TOS timeline.

It's own thing, based in Star Trek.  Even if CBS won't claim it is or isn't.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #409 on: 25 October 2017, 12:16:12 »
I think that is mostly where I am at with ST:D.

If they made it something not Star Trek and I didn't have to exert extra effort into watching it versus the competition it actually wasn't that bad and I could probably follow it.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #410 on: 25 October 2017, 13:02:43 »
Hell, I'm enjoying the show no end, but if it wasn't on Netflix here I wouldn't be subscribing to another service to watch it

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #411 on: 25 October 2017, 14:23:16 »
Interesting take on what or how viewers should watch the series. The Verge article basically says, "Just Enjoy it" see it if let it try entertain you.  That Discovery only loosely follows canon timeline. 

It's a detailed article, it's good way handle the drastic differences it has with old TOS timeline.

It's own thing, based in Star Trek.  Even if CBS won't claim it is or isn't.
One nitpick about that article: ST: TOS wasn't operating on a shoestring budget.

http://startrekmyths.tumblr.com/post/27921273143/star-trek-wasnt-low-budget

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #412 on: 25 October 2017, 15:27:50 »
Interesting take on what or how viewers should watch the series.

The points in the article are precisely what makes this show too stupid.

Why not advance the timeline and get some new blood (storywise) in the franchise (since they have fine actors already in there)?
Why not take advantage of the same story (the new drive storyline) and try to come up with more original stuff in that advanced timeline?
They could even revisit some characters from DS9/VOY/TNG (most if not all of the actors are alive and could be nice cameos/story hooks) and explore different things in that advanced timeline).

Sorry... rant mode off.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #413 on: 25 October 2017, 17:53:57 »

Why not advance the timeline and get some new blood (storywise) in the franchise (since they have fine actors already in there)?
Why not take advantage of the same story (the new drive storyline) and try to come up with more original stuff in that advanced timeline?
They could even revisit some characters from DS9/VOY/TNG (most if not all of the actors are alive and could be nice cameos/story hooks) and explore different things in that advanced timeline).

Sorry... rant mode off.
Exactly this. It would have been neater to have the show start in future because then you are not constrained with having to follow the 'history' that's already ahead of you in the timeline.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #414 on: 25 October 2017, 19:10:46 »

Sorry... rant mode off.

No worries, i agree with you. The show isn't for me. I am completely unhappy with Discovery's show runners changing canon to the point where some people have stop caring about continuity to actually watch the show if their old time fans.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #415 on: 25 October 2017, 19:21:52 »
No worries, i agree with you. The show isn't for me. I am completely unhappy with Discovery's show runners changing canon to the point where some people have stop caring about continuity to actually watch the show if their old time fans.

Discovery has changed nothing about Trek continuity. It just looks different.  And Trek has changed the way things look without any explanation dozens of times in the past with no complaints.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #416 on: 25 October 2017, 22:53:51 »
Regardless of whether you like the show or not, can we all agree that in honour of those dope as all hell T-shirts Burnham and Tilly had on this week, that the show's nickname is now DISCO?

Well they can't have STD printed on 'em can they :p
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #417 on: 26 October 2017, 01:46:56 »
They're actually selling the DISCO shirts on startrek.com.  I'm totally going to buy one, assuming I don't murder my wallet at a con this weekend.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #418 on: 26 October 2017, 06:49:07 »
Discovery has changed nothing about Trek continuity. It just looks different.  And Trek has changed the way things look without any explanation dozens of times in the past with no complaints.

That was a joke right?
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #419 on: 26 October 2017, 08:00:40 »
That was a joke right?

No, this is the first time anyone has every complained about any aspect of Star Trek.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register