Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 164849 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #420 on: 26 October 2017, 08:37:37 »
The changes made to the Ferengi between TNG Season 1 and DS9 were generally positive.

It would have been fun if there'd been a scene in DS9 where Quark had a flashback to his first appearance as a Ferengi in TNG, crouching, hissing, and energy whipping.   

Then followed up with a comment about how the worst part of serving aboard a Ferengi Marauder was all the "crouching and hissing," followed by a Rule of Acquisition along the lines of "if your trading partner thinks you're likely to eat them, they might knock off 20% to earn your goodwill."
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #421 on: 26 October 2017, 09:56:06 »
That was a joke right?

Not in the slightest.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #422 on: 26 October 2017, 12:05:44 »
Not in the slightest.

So I guess the problem (as an example) with the klingons changing looks between the shows that even made the writers address it in elegant (sort off) way in the stories dont count... ooooookkk... whatever...

I invite you to read some Star Trek dedicated forums (or Reditt) for more... problems...

Adding Discovery in the mix just makes this laughable.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2017, 12:13:16 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #423 on: 26 October 2017, 12:32:00 »
It took decades before we ever got an In Show explanation for the change in the Klingons. When they first showed up in ST:TMP it was definitely out of left field.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #424 on: 26 October 2017, 12:38:08 »
So I guess the problem (as an example) with the klingons changing looks between the shows that even made the writers address it in elegant (sort off) way in the stories dont count... ooooookkk... whatever...

Did it count when Trills changed look and how the symbionts worked between TNG and DS9?  Has there been an explanation for why the Romulans changed their brow makeup between TOS and TNG, but unlike the klingons when a Romulan showed up in Star Trek VI, he still had the Vulcan-style makeup?  But in Enterprise, the Romulans had the TNG-style makeup?

There are valid criticisms of Discovery, and it's perfectly fine to dislike it.  But anyone who's complaining about how it doesn't fit canon is ignoring all the times the incarnations of Trek they do like ignored or arbitrarily changed canon.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #425 on: 26 October 2017, 12:49:46 »
Not going to say anything else about this idiocy... just leave this here:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discoverys-biggest-problem-is-that-its-a-pre-1819758511

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #426 on: 26 October 2017, 13:58:35 »
Yeah like we have been saying, it would have been far better for the show to be set in the future, some time after Nemesis. They may have to adhere to the past but they are not CONSTRAINED by any "future" that's already laid out ahead of the show.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #427 on: 26 October 2017, 14:39:32 »
Yeah like we have been saying, it would have been far better for the show to be set in the future, some time after Nemesis. They may have to adhere to the past but they are not CONSTRAINED by any "future" that's already laid out ahead of the show.

It would have worked very well in the future minus Sarek storyline but I’m sure there are other hardluck case Vulcans
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #428 on: 26 October 2017, 16:00:27 »
In all fairness to trek continuity, they time travel so much that the idea of a consistent continuity is probably ridiculous.

Just blame it all on that doorway from the original series.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #429 on: 26 October 2017, 16:01:52 »
Not counting Q or other superbiengs, how many different methods of time travel have been discovered in the Star Trek Universe?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #430 on: 26 October 2017, 16:21:26 »
Let's see...

10 time travel episodes in ENT, 5 in TOS, 1 in TAS, ST:TVH, 12 in TNG, ST:G, ST:FC, 11 in DS9, 12 in VYG, & ST(2009).

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #431 on: 26 October 2017, 16:27:06 »
If we're looking at different time travel methods, the guardian of forever is used in both one TOS episode and the TAS one, and a slingshot around the sun is used in another TOS episode and Voyage Home.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #432 on: 26 October 2017, 17:40:54 »
Ooh, maybe that's what they're building up to in Discovery. The spore drive screws up everything and they fix things through time travel. In the process altering the timeline to the point that it becomes the original timeline.  :))
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #433 on: 26 October 2017, 18:22:07 »
Ooh, maybe that's what they're building up to in Discovery. The spore drive screws up everything and they fix things through time travel. In the process altering the timeline to the point that it becomes the original timeline.  :))

Weirder things have happened...
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #434 on: 26 October 2017, 19:42:19 »
Has there been signs of the Spore drive messing with time?

Old canon had mentioned Kirk's Enterprise was first to actually breech the time barrier my ship accidentally and later went to visit the past as well in second attempt. 
« Last Edit: 26 October 2017, 19:56:20 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #435 on: 26 October 2017, 19:49:23 »
They say there is going to be Mirror episode. So which way they go with it will be very intresting.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #436 on: 26 October 2017, 19:58:00 »
At least I now know how Star Wars PT haters feel... I guess...

Are you saying that if thats true this is what leads to what we know as the TOS and so on in "Prime Universe" (Spock never talked about a adopted sister for example)?
« Last Edit: 26 October 2017, 20:09:23 by Kentares »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #437 on: 26 October 2017, 21:02:09 »
Are you saying that if thats true this is what leads to what we know as the TOS and so on in "Prime Universe" (Spock never talked about a adopted sister for example)?

Yep. Spock's adopted sister and any other continuity variants are retroactively eaten by space fungus.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #438 on: 26 October 2017, 21:26:33 »
Talk about the worst possible "it was all just a dream" ending.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #439 on: 26 October 2017, 22:47:27 »

The same Spock who never told Kirk about his half brother?  The same Spock who didn't tell Kirk that his parents were aboard the Enterprise until Kirk forced his hand?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #440 on: 26 October 2017, 22:51:41 »
Same universe where Red Anti-Matter thing and Romulus wasn't destroyed by random Supernova.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #441 on: 27 October 2017, 09:18:48 »
Did it count when Trills changed look and how the symbionts worked between TNG and DS9?  Has there been an explanation for why the Romulans changed their brow makeup between TOS and TNG, but unlike the klingons when a Romulan showed up in Star Trek VI, he still had the Vulcan-style makeup?  But in Enterprise, the Romulans had the TNG-style makeup?

There are valid criticisms of Discovery, and it's perfectly fine to dislike it.  But anyone who's complaining about how it doesn't fit canon is ignoring all the times the incarnations of Trek they do like ignored or arbitrarily changed canon.

I think the complaint might better be approached by the question: Does the change make it easier, harder, or the same in terms of the actors delivering lines, moving smoothly, or...y'know, Acting in the makeup.

The TMP/TNG style with Klingons didn't significantly degrade the actors' ability to deliver an interesting character, deliver their lines clearly, emote, perform athletic movements and stunts, etc. etc.

IOW, it didn't make it harder to see them as characters, rather than rubber suits.

Now...Discovery...

the changes are horrible not because they're changes, but because the makeup's so heavy the actors are no longer credible as the characters they portray-they're in "Gorn rubber suit" territory.  Fight scenes become boring, lines are delivered flat (and mispronounced thanks to the oral prosthetics), the 'character' is stripped off leaving only some very expensive makeup and prosthetics.

THIS is the problem with the change.  It's compounded because while the props are heavily detailed, even ornate, they've lost that fundamental that Klingon gear had before-that is, a utilitarian build.  The armor they're given is hard to move around in, and looks like something from a fetishwear outfit, their bladed weapons h ave gone from 'weird but okay it can work' to 'you can't hold it without pointing a sharp bit at yourself, and can't use it credibly or effectively except to kill yourself."  The armor has lots of depressions that act as shot-traps, guaranteeing a wound will most likely be directed inward at your vitals, (look it over)..  Then we get to disruptors with sillyspikes added that aren't useful in melee, provide no benefit in ranged fire, and make carrying it a practice in being really careful not to stab yourself.  In a culture that commonly uses melee fighting, the new version dagger has a grip that will become slippery when wet and a grip shape (for a species with four fingers and a thumb, laid out like human hands) that increases the awkwardness.

this is not "improvement", the changes don't make them more detailed, or more credible, or more threatening.  Instead, the changes make them more generic-rubber-suit-spacemonster-aliens, built to be easily defeated by the protagonist (even to the point that in the second episode, Michelle Yeoh's character basically had to jump on T'Kuvma's dagger to get stabbed.)

the changes to the Bajoran eyebrows made it easier for the actors to play the role, the change to the Ferengi was a deepening of character and culture, and made them easier to use as depth and setting characters rather than monster-of-the-week.  the changes to the Trill also made it easier for actors to act and play and develop characters.

teh changes ST:D did to Klingons make them harder to play, and thus, shallower and less interesting as characters, because they have nothing but 'word of god' that they're even capable of sentient thought.

further, they've been stripped of pretty much all characteristics of Klingons as developed in prior series save one-they're ridged and like to fight.  Unfortunately, this is the single most generic villain-alien trait you can have.

in short, they're boring.  They're boring, because they've been raced right into mediocrity, they're generic and flavourless, flat and uninteresting, only cool in publicity stills.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #442 on: 27 October 2017, 10:00:32 »
I think the complaint might better be approached by the question: Does the change make it easier, harder, or the same in terms of the actors delivering lines, moving smoothly, or...y'know, Acting in the makeup.

The TMP/TNG style with Klingons didn't significantly degrade the actors' ability to deliver an interesting character, deliver their lines clearly, emote, perform athletic movements and stunts, etc. etc.

IOW, it didn't make it harder to see them as characters, rather than rubber suits.

This is an arbitrary point.  Which is actually the point I've been making all along.  The initial complaints about the Klingons were "they look different, therefore bad", except for all the other times things were changed.  So now it's "the prosthetics make it harder for the actors to work, therefore bad", except that there have been worse performances by actors in Trek in less makeup, or "they're not convincing", ignoring that the makeup for the Klingons is on a par with that for Saru or Arinam in both coverage and texture, but nobody complains about them.

It's all after the fact justifications.

Now...Discovery...

the changes are horrible not because they're changes, but because the makeup's so heavy the actors are no longer credible as the characters they portray-they're in "Gorn rubber suit" territory.  Fight scenes become boring, lines are delivered flat (and mispronounced thanks to the oral prosthetics), the 'character' is stripped off leaving only some very expensive makeup and prosthetics.

THIS is the problem with the change.  It's compounded because while the props are heavily detailed, even ornate, they've lost that fundamental that Klingon gear had before-that is, a utilitarian build.  The armor they're given is hard to move around in, and looks like something from a fetishwear outfit, their bladed weapons h ave gone from 'weird but okay it can work' to 'you can't hold it without pointing a sharp bit at yourself, and can't use it credibly or effectively except to kill yourself."  The armor has lots of depressions that act as shot-traps, guaranteeing a wound will most likely be directed inward at your vitals, (look it over)..  Then we get to disruptors with sillyspikes added that aren't useful in melee, provide no benefit in ranged fire, and make carrying it a practice in being really careful not to stab yourself.  In a culture that commonly uses melee fighting, the new version dagger has a grip that will become slippery when wet and a grip shape (for a species with four fingers and a thumb, laid out like human hands) that increases the awkwardness.

this is not "improvement", the changes don't make them more detailed, or more credible, or more threatening.  Instead, the changes make them more generic-rubber-suit-spacemonster-aliens, built to be easily defeated by the protagonist (even to the point that in the second episode, Michelle Yeoh's character basically had to jump on T'Kuvma's dagger to get stabbed.)

the changes to the Bajoran eyebrows made it easier for the actors to play the role, the change to the Ferengi was a deepening of character and culture, and made them easier to use as depth and setting characters rather than monster-of-the-week.  the changes to the Trill also made it easier for actors to act and play and develop characters.

teh changes ST:D did to Klingons make them harder to play, and thus, shallower and less interesting as characters, because they have nothing but 'word of god' that they're even capable of sentient thought.

further, they've been stripped of pretty much all characteristics of Klingons as developed in prior series save one-they're ridged and like to fight.  Unfortunately, this is the single most generic villain-alien trait you can have.

in short, they're boring.  They're boring, because they've been raced right into mediocrity, they're generic and flavourless, flat and uninteresting, only cool in publicity stills.

And this is highly subjective.  There's plenty of people who prefer the Discovery Klingons to their prior incarnations

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #443 on: 27 October 2017, 11:55:50 »
"They need to stop making series/movies about WWII. Everyone knows the end result and they're constrained by the future that's already ahead of them. "

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #444 on: 27 October 2017, 12:00:45 »
This is an arbitrary point.  Which is actually the point I've been making all along.  The initial complaints about the Klingons were "they look different, therefore bad", except for all the other times things were changed.  So now it's "the prosthetics make it harder for the actors to work, therefore bad", except that there have been worse performances by actors in Trek in less makeup, or "they're not convincing", ignoring that the makeup for the Klingons is on a par with that for Saru or Arinam in both coverage and texture, but nobody complains about them.

It's all after the fact justifications.

And this is highly subjective.  There's plenty of people who prefer the Discovery Klingons to their prior incarnations

Lorcan, it's not the coverage-it's HOW the coverage was applied-the actors literally can't act through it.  and it extends to the costumes as well-the motion and movement is arthritic and awkward.  the actor playing Saru only has to deal with the hood, the poor bastards in the Klingork getups have to deal with a full-body corset AND a hood, with gloves, under hot production lighting.

The extensions along the jaw restrict speech, the oral prosthetics also restrict speech-it sounds and looks like someone trying to speak around an oversize retainer or perhaps a broken ball-gag. further, every 'moving' part of the face is similarly restricted.. Saru's 'facial' is limited to a chin, nose, and forehead piece, the rest is paint, but the Klingork makeup is a full-head prosthetic (as shown, incidentally, by the crew at ST:LV).  so yes, it's MORE extensive than Mr. Saru's-and violates pretty much EVERY principle the makeup artists that designed it hound contestants for on their little reality show.

and sure, there are people who like it.  Thre are people who like all sorts of things that make absolutely no sense (Lutefisk, for example), and frankly, most audiences prefer the baddies that get killed on screen to be dehumanized and rendered as generic and stereotypical as possible, Jason from Friday the 13th, for example, or Michael Myers, as opposed to something like Freddy.  quite a few people prefer Jason over Freddy...

Polls tend to show people prefer that villains be stupid, awkward, or dehumanized as much as possible.  in this, the makers of Discovery did a hell of a job-they managed to compound a collection of 19th century racist stereotypes in designing their version of Klingons (up to and including needing a white guy to lead them), while also tapping into the latex fetish market for costuming.

what they didn't make, was an interesting villain.. some interesting promo photos, sure, but in terms of something epic enough to justify the expense? Hardly even hit mediocrity there.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #445 on: 27 October 2017, 12:19:34 »
"They need to stop making series/movies about WWII. Everyone knows the end result and they're constrained by the future that's already ahead of them. "

How many WWII movies have a sequel?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #446 on: 27 October 2017, 12:23:41 »
How many WWII movies have a sequel?
Spiritually? Quite a few. Literally is a much shorter list.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #447 on: 27 October 2017, 12:40:48 »
1. ST:D is set in the Prime timeline/universe. It is supposed to lead up onto the timeline of TOS, yet we can't see that clearly. I mean hell, if you took out the name Star Trek, the names, Vulcan ears, the ST emblem, the audience wouldn't know it's actually Star Trek.

2. 50 years of the movies and shows and instead of going "forward", they went backward once again into the Star Trek universe's past. Having to toe the line without contradicting what the previous shows and movies have established, but so far it's look like they're not trying so hard to stay on that line.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #448 on: 27 October 2017, 12:45:48 »
Same universe where Red Anti-Matter thing and Romulus wasn't destroyed by random Supernova.

Gawd this was so stupid...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #449 on: 27 October 2017, 13:04:56 »
I think the issue people are having with the Klingon remodels is one of continuity. You can say all you want about how some like the remodel; that's irrelevant for someone that does NOT like the remodel. While the point about different make-up/prosthetics for Klingons may be true, continuity isn't broken for them save for the very first appearance: all other subsequent appearances are "credible" variations on Klingon appearance that the continuity is not broken. Similarly for Vulcans, Romulans, etc. There was no point in the MANY years I've watched the show where I was surprised by the remodel of any of these races, and usually any of those remodels can easily be attributed to species variation. But Discovery took that too far, and breaks continuity of the franchise's past, an important draw for a long-running series that has a deep level of world-building that Trek has done. Now that's not to say the past custodians of the franchise were always good about it either; but to use that as an excuse is just that, an excuse IMHO.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com