Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 165212 times)

BirdofPrey

• Major
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #780 on: 18 January 2018, 04:41:06 »
I have mixed feelings about the Excelsior.  It IS a nice ship, but I think it look oddly proportioned from certain angles due to the length and placement of the nacelles and the shape of the secondary hull.  The Discovery has the same problem, though in in a somewhat opposite manner and by extension from a different angle.
« Last Edit: 18 January 2018, 04:48:03 by BirdofPrey »

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #781 on: 20 January 2018, 23:23:02 »
Just discovered I could get this on Netflix over here, so been binging the first 11 episodes.

In and of itself, it's not necessarily bad, but it's action and intrigue (and WTF wierdness) in space, rather than Star Trek. If you want to do a scifi show but don't want the stuff that made Star Trek unique -- its faith in people, its discussion of moral, political and social issues, its reliance on science rather than violence to solve issues -- then why brand it Star Trek at all?

Other thoughts here.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #782 on: 27 January 2018, 14:25:48 »
QFT. For a long time, it was the only Star Trek series that I had the full thing on DVD (well, other than the set for TAS)...I have since gotten Enterprise and TOS on DVD, as well as all the movies...I still would like to get the remaining 6 seasons of Voyager (I only have the first, and I believe it had 7 total seasons, IIRC)...

Well, I can now say that I have all of Voyager...the local FYE had a complete series boxed set...normally their prices are pretty bad (almost double most other locations on a normal day), but they had it on sale for $80 plus sales tax...just over $10 per season isn't bad (comes out to about 50 cents an episode)...

They also gave me a special offer card to try CBS All Access for free for a month...might try it just to see Discovery...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #783 on: 27 January 2018, 17:51:14 »

They also gave me a special offer card to try CBS All Access for free for a month...might try it just to see Discovery...

Series 1 finishes up in 3 weeks, I think it is.  If you want to wait till they're all out.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #784 on: 27 January 2018, 19:36:51 »
Series 1 finishes up in 3 weeks, I think it is.  If you want to wait till they're all out.

Thanks. That was one of the things I needed to check out.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

VincentFel

• Recruit
« Reply #785 on: 28 January 2018, 08:32:41 »
I can't make up my mind about this show. After every good episode, I get my hopes up that it'll become better. But then I get slammed with a couple of bad episodes. Not giving up on it though.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #786 on: 28 January 2018, 12:21:02 »
With the show coming to the end of Season 1, I wonder how many will drop CBS All Access!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #787 on: 28 January 2018, 13:17:55 »
Probably not many in this modern instant gratification society we live in now.  The ability to stream what you want when you want seems to be the way of the future.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #788 on: 28 January 2018, 14:19:49 »
I bet there will be a significant number of people cancelling their All Access subs once Discovery's season ends. And then re-upping when S2 starts.

Just like there were people who would cancel HBO between season of The Sopranos or Deadwood or Game of Thrones or whatever only to re-sub when the next season began.

And just as there are people who cancel and re-up Netflix and Hulu as shows come and go from those services.

That is really the wave of the future; only paying for the shows you want to watch when you want to watch them on whatever service they happen to be on and not paying for all of the rest of the stuff you don't wanna see like you have to do with cable at the present time.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #789 on: 28 January 2018, 16:53:38 »
And the networks are fine with it.

Netflix just posted record earnings in Q4 2017. And passing $100 billion in market value.
It has almost 118 million subscribers world-wide.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #790 on: 28 January 2018, 17:34:19 »
Yep, and everyone wants a piece of that pie. Disney has got two streaming services in the works (ESPN Plus and whatever they end up calling the one for their Disney/Pixar/Lucasfilm/Marvel stuff, plus there's the now 60% of Hulu they own), DC Comics has their own streaming service debuting sometime this year, CBS has All Access, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some new ones. The field will only get more crowded as time marches on. And people will move in and out of these various services as shows interest them, rather than being locked into bundled packages of gems nestled in a sea of crap like the cable industry has forced us into for decades now.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #791 on: 29 January 2018, 13:53:24 »
This week's episode absolutely crushed it.  One of the writers was on After Trek talking about how this is the episode where the Discovery crew start to form that family we know of from other Trek crews, and the scene with everyone in Engineering was the genesis of that.  And I'm totally down for Captain Saru, and Stamets and Tilly as the Data/Geordi or O'Brien/Nog of DISCO.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #792 on: 29 January 2018, 17:01:19 »
If it wasn't for the Klingon fiasco, I'd be perfectly happy calling it my favorite Star Trek.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #793 on: 29 January 2018, 23:05:43 »
It was good, but honestly I wish they hadn't gone there with Mirror Lorca.

To me, the story was far more interesting when Lorca was a standard Starfleet captain who had been damaged by his wartime experiences and possibly suffered from PTSD. I was looking forward to a captain with some darkness in him, someone who wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty in pursuit of a noble goal. Now, instead of being a complex character who could be used to explore the effects of war in a way that Trek really hasn't done in the past, he's just another xenophobic, sadistic bastard who is that way not because of his experiences but because he comes from a society where everyone is twisted and evil. Making him a Mirror Lorca was the easy way out and I'm disappointed the writers chose to go that way.

That, and I just plain enjoyed Jason Isaacs' performance. I thought he had a very captainy vibe to him.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #794 on: 30 January 2018, 00:57:41 »
It does feel very cop-outy, yeah. I do have to wonder if this was the plan all along or a change in direction after the fact.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #795 on: 30 January 2018, 01:05:47 »
It seems to be the original plan, the series finale wrapped filming 2 weeks before the show began.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #796 on: 30 January 2018, 02:10:09 »
They can't all be Ben Sisko.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #797 on: 30 January 2018, 06:40:45 »
I thought the last episode was good, had some great parts about it. It wasn't perfect. Jason Issacs is a incredible actor plays a good guy and a bad guy very well. He played the combo of both even better in Disco. I'm sad that he is gone. He was one of the characters that I liked the best off of the whole show. I guess I will have to find a different person now. Maybe Georgio will be a good add trying to not be "evil" as much anymore.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #798 on: 30 January 2018, 11:08:48 »
It does feel very cop-outy, yeah. I do have to wonder if this was the plan all along or a change in direction after the fact.
Jason Isaac has said it was the plan from the beginning, he had to lie in interviews to keep the secret that he was "Mirror" version until last weeks episode aired.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #799 on: 30 January 2018, 16:46:17 »
Jason Isaac has said it was the plan from the beginning, he had to lie in interviews to keep the secret that he was "Mirror" version until last weeks episode aired.

Fair enough then! Although it does still feel lik a bit of a cop-out. Just a planned one.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #800 on: 30 January 2018, 16:53:02 »
That's because Star Trek writers have been overusing the Mirror Universe for a long time.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #801 on: 30 January 2018, 18:55:05 »
 :))
That's because Star Trek writers have been overusing the Mirror Universe for a long time.
The last series, Enterprise, had what? only two episodes about MU?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #802 on: 30 January 2018, 19:00:01 »
:))The last series, Enterprise, had what? only two episodes about MU?

TOS: 1
TNG: ...not recalling any
Voyager: 0
DS9: A LOT (3 or 4 or so?)
Enterprise: 2 (a 2 parter, so one story)

Ruger

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #803 on: 30 January 2018, 19:00:52 »
Honestly, I only feel like DS9 overused the Mirror Universe (and that's more that I didn't find any of them that enjoyable, and more importantly, they didn't feel like they fit).  TNG and Voyager didn't use it at all, and the two parter in Enterprise, was a one-off and was pretty good.  These ones, I rather liked as well.

My main issue with Discovery at the moment is how unsurprising their surprises are.  I can't even complain about spoilers despite having just caught back up with the series, because everyone guessed all the "twists" months ahead of time.  As far as the mirror universe thing goes, people were guessing we'd go there right after Stammets does that gene therapy thing and has some mirror weirdness, and shortly after a bunch of people put the puzzle pieces together regarding Lorca given his un-Starfleet behavior.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #804 on: 30 January 2018, 20:14:10 »
From that episode with worf going from one universe to another, there is a lot of "mirror" universes.
Lorca did some really shady stuff in the prime universe but he seemed to be all about the Klingon war and was a good front line captain. He even toned down was the best StarFleet captain with some results against the Klingons. With the jump ahead 9 months it seems like the Federation is on the very much losing end on the war. Much like the status of the Federation in Yesterday's Enterprise.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #805 on: 31 January 2018, 00:37:53 »
DS9: A LOT (3 or 4 or so?)

Now, is 4 out of 176 episodes "a lot"?

Time travel is a far more overused Trek plot, with each show having like a dozen episodes each about it.

Or my pet peeve: Q. Intestesting once, then BLÆH.
TNG: 8 episodes
DS9: 1 episode
VOY: 3 episodes

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #806 on: 31 January 2018, 00:39:59 »
From that episode with worf going from one universe to another, there is a lot of "mirror" universes.
Lorca did some really shady stuff in the prime universe but he seemed to be all about the Klingon war and was a good front line captain. He even toned down was the best StarFleet captain with some results against the Klingons. With the jump ahead 9 months it seems like the Federation is on the very much losing end on the war. Much like the status of the Federation in Yesterday's Enterprise.

The question is is Phillipa will replace Lorca as the "dark captain"? She hates the klinks just as much due to her mirror origin, will Star Fleet use her in an "ends justify the means" way?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #807 on: 31 January 2018, 01:34:27 »
The question is is Phillipa will replace Lorca as the "dark captain"? She hates the klinks just as much due to her mirror origin, will Star Fleet use her in an "ends justify the means" way?

My prediction is that Starfleet will try to use her that way, and it'll lead to a confrontation between her and Burnham that will lead to a conclusion to Burnham's emotional arc for series 1, and allow her to let go of her guilt over Prime Georgiou's death.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #808 on: 31 January 2018, 06:04:08 »
DS9: 1 episode

And what an episode it was! One of my favorites.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #809 on: 31 January 2018, 10:34:33 »
Q. Intestesting once

Not even that, since the once would be, ugh, “Encounter at Farpoint”.