Author Topic: Air Superiority Fighter  (Read 2626 times)

11charlie

• Recruit
Air Superiority Fighter
« on: 03 December 2014, 13:17:38 »
Was Wondering what everyone would recommend For a Inner Sphere Air Superiority Fighter (35-40Ton) weight range?

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
Re: Air Superiority Fighter
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2014, 13:39:03 »
Your best bets for that role are the Sai and the Samurai; they're a bit overweight for your bracket but they fall in the middle space of speed between interceptors and standard dogfighters and so can take care of themselves. Once you get past 3067 the DARO-1 Dagger joins those ranks and it is a sweet piece of flying ferro-aluminum chainsaw.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2014, 14:41:29 »
May I ask why you're wanting that weight range? And by "Air Superiority" do you mean purely atmospheric operations?

11charlie

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2014, 15:35:30 »

Silly was curious.And on the last question sorry should have said "Space/atmospheric".
« Last Edit: 03 December 2014, 15:38:49 by 11charlie »

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2014, 00:56:40 »
Dagger and Sagitarii

Or if you're a proper servant of the Master, Shade :D:

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2014, 17:45:26 »
ASFs in the 90 to 100t range are my preferred aerospace superiority designs, because vectored movement makes high thrust less important than armor and weaponry, but selecting from the requested 35 to 40t range, I'd opt for the following in alphabetical order by mass:

Picaroon - Immune to thresholds by Med Lasers and has a HPPC that will threshold most fighters, even some with reflective armor.
Poignard - Immune to thresholds by Med Lasers and the three variants have decent weapon selections, apart from the LAC5 on the PGD-Y3.
Zero ZRO-116b - The other Zeros do have great firepower but are vulnerable to Med Laser thresholds on the wings. The Royal Zero is immune  to Med Laser thresholds and has strong short to mid range firepower.
Sternensturm - Despite being the most heavily armored, it is vulnerable to Med Laser thresholds from the rear. The strong protection on the other facings and Omni capability allow me to overlook this flaw. Being an Omni does allow it to overcome the sub-standard fuel for longer endurance missions. The firepower is decent its small payload, and the C config is a great choice in a DropShip/WarShip fight. I desperately wish this AFS had just three points of armor moved to the rear.

Given my druthers, I'd prefer a Sternensturm with the armor redistributed as noted above and a smaller engine, reducing the thrust from interceptor levels to give a bigger weapon payload.

11charlie

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2014, 00:57:36 »
Thanks guys for all the info

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2014, 03:11:42 »
To throw something else out . . .

Conventional fighters are better used as single pass bomb trucks.  Rockets away!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."