Author Topic: Ngoverse/"The Administrator" series: The Silent Black Ocean.  (Read 16872 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Ngoverse/"The Administrator" series: The Silent Black Ocean.
« Reply #60 on: 26 May 2020, 02:23:50 »
I suppose it depends on how much damage they do before bothering to talk to anyone.

Amusingly, they just might keep running rather than stop...  ^-^

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #61 on: 26 May 2020, 08:50:57 »
Questions:

1) What worlds are the Quarantine Zone?

2) What Worlds (from point Far East to Far West, on the 3150 map (or closest map that would serve) so show roughly the patrol zone  of the 9th District?

3) Linkie to the story that deals (and explains) the Quarantine Zone?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 26 May 2020, 12:51:36 »
Questions:

1) What worlds are the Quarantine Zone?

2) What Worlds (from point Far East to Far West, on the 3150 map (or closest map that would serve) so show roughly the patrol zone  of the 9th District?

3) Linkie to the story that deals (and explains) the Quarantine Zone?

3 First, "A Watery Silence"

Question 1 next:

Overview: August/September, 3067...

Pestilence doesn't stop when the first disease has burned out-like most unpleasant things, it keeps on giving.

Death Toll, August/September 3067 (by world)

Arluna : 1.75 Billion
Kowloon 29.1 Million
Australia 234 Million
Inarcs Death Toll: 985 Million
Miquelon Death Toll: 27.8 Million
Anembo Death Toll: 18 Million
Melissia Death Toll: 1.5 Billion
Jerangle Death Toll:3 Million
Jessenice Death Toll: 12 Million
Kwangchowwang Death Toll: 77 Million
Hood IV Death Toll: 2 Million
Winter: 135 Million; 77% of planetary population now dead.
Guataveta: 65 thousand
Coventry; 10 thousand
Brooloo: 256 thousand
Recife: 24 thousand
Tangua: 19 thousand
Timehri: 40 thousand

With Death Tolls as of 3067!

As for Question 2, I'm having a hard time finding the really good map to show it, and now that it's 'work week' again, I need my sleeping time or risk screwing up an airplane that (they tell me) is built to carry between 300 and 500 people on long-haul flights.  (I work on the 777 production line at Boeing.)
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 26 May 2020, 13:49:40 »
It's OK. we'll wait. It's more important to make sure you sign off the MAF as 'RFI & FOD Free' now that you are allowed to hammer stuff into place again...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 26 May 2020, 16:18:24 »
So does this mean that Ngoverse stuff will come to a slow ending again   :'(

And here a map center on Hood
1 more centered on Miquelon
and 1 centered on Brooloo
Those should help show the Quarantine Zone area

and PW don't feel bad many of us have been trying to follow with love the Ngo's for years.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #65 on: 26 May 2020, 22:44:12 »
So does this mean that Ngoverse stuff will come to a slow ending again   :'(

And here a map center on Hood
1 more centered on Miquelon
and 1 centered on Brooloo
Those should help show the Quarantine Zone area

and PW don't feel bad many of us have been trying to follow with love the Ngo's for years.

Thank you. For some reason (mostly because I assumed), I thought Kowloon was on the east side of the LC (because in my dyslexic mind, I kept thinking Kwangjong-Ni for Kowloon. Funny for a location on the border to the Clan OZ, the planet still has nothing offcial to it's name.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 26 May 2020, 23:00:07 »
and of course there are multiple parallel universes here also

i have started just disconnecting my brain as i read, too much else to keep track of, but wonderful story telling
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 27 May 2020, 09:55:21 »
and of course there are multiple parallel universes here also

i have started just disconnecting my brain as i read, too much else to keep track of, but wonderful story telling

Sorry about that, but it's been almost 20 years. (IIRC, the first Ngo story dates back to the late 1990s when Fanpro was just getting off the ground in the U.S., and these boards were a private board because the company didn't even properly exist.)

a number of changes HAVE happened over the years.  Most of the revisions were 'just enough to keep kinda current-ish'.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #68 on: 27 May 2020, 10:24:13 »
"...you wanted to be the High King."

The construction outside was reconstruction.  Inside, was restoration...with technical improvement.  Alaric Ward passed a crew of workers repairing the intricate inlaid tilework of the old Star League Palace here in Unity City.

He had made the unilateral decision to place the capital back where it belongs, on the Puget Sound, in Unity City, instead of the administrative nest of vermin that was Fort Geneva on the European continent.

It was symbolic.  The Wolf Empire would by damn be the leading state in the Star League, if he had to build the damned thing himself, one alliance at a time, and eventually, one conquest at a time.

For now, it would be the Wolf Empire, but Alaric had already determined his next trick.  Trillian had no heirs beyond Roderick's line, she'd neglected to have children, or to marry, she didn't even, as far as he knew, have a living fiance'.

and she had the strongest navy in the Inner Sphere, bar none, but that would have to wait for a proper opportunity-for Alaric's new Empire to get its feet fully under it, for him to solve the multitude of neglected problems that come with suddenly gaining one point four trillion people, over half of which were on some form of public support simply to keep living, and the galaxy's largest 'rust belt' of idled, obsolete factories lacking skilled workers and raw materials.

On a practical level, the conquest of the Hegemony remnants in the Republic held almost no practical value whatsoever beyond waves of underemployed human beings on worlds teetering at the brink of collapse due to a lack of raw resources.

But it was symbolic.  He stopped at a place in the Great Hall, and looked at the artists carefully restoring the portraits of the Cameron dynasty, all the way back to the original Admiral McKenna.

"I will do it better than you." He  muttered, staring at the three meter tall image of Simon Cameron.  "I will pull them back together, and they will want it when I do."

of course, the massive portrait made no expression, no reaction to his words.

After a moment, Alaric turned and returned to his path.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 27 May 2020, 12:15:16 »
Sorry about that, but it's been almost 20 years. (IIRC, the first Ngo story dates back to the late 1990s when Fanpro was just getting off the ground in the U.S., and these boards were a private board because the company didn't even properly exist.)

a number of changes HAVE happened over the years.  Most of the revisions were 'just enough to keep kinda current-ish'.
yep the old private/personal board when many of us 1st jumped from rec.mecha.something to this.
was it really that long ago
either way I have always enjoy your Ngo stories
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 27 May 2020, 12:32:41 »
yep the old private/personal board when many of us 1st jumped from rec.mecha.something to this.
was it really that long ago
either way I have always enjoy your Ngo stories

I do enjoy making them.

I've had a few terrible ideas that I don't have the resources or time to do wrt to them.  how terrible?  Remember when Herb Beas did "Operation:Flashpoint" (the Kaumberg civil war in the Davion Civil War era)?

yah, something like that as a non-canon sourcebook (or series of modules) that people could play out and see if their results match mine.

Maybe a 'quarantine campaign' for post-Jihad era showing just how things ran between "Black Jumpsails" and "The Administrator" for Kowloon.

and then a follow up with a bunch of major battles from the final Falcon War.

could even be a stack of the things. Lots of Aerotech/space battle scenarios with planetary invasion sub-modules.  why? because I doubt it was as 'easy' as the story makes it look, but I'm absolute crap for laying out good tabletop scenarios.

Then again, I'm LOVING what Giovanni_Blasini is doing with NIOPS in this-a tie in that isn't overt, but is really, really cool.  I'd like to see more-maybe a FWL based set of stories from someone who really, really rocks the purple, or something deeper with the Cappies or the Davions or the Dracs.

something like an "Age of Navies" group project.  yeah, that would be cool.  (My opinion, other views may vary).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 27 May 2020, 17:55:44 »
Trillian, Trillian, Trillian... if you're going to be a dynast, you have to do it RIGHT!  ::)

And Alaric... hubris fits you too well...  8)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 27 May 2020, 18:22:48 »

nah, no problem

for me its just remembering, nope that happened a couple years back on story X, or catching references to BTA's stories etc, there are some sections that have been done 3+ times like Liz, but all of them done really freaking well
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 27 May 2020, 19:52:52 »
I do enjoy making them.

I've had a few terrible ideas that I don't have the resources or time to do wrt to them.  how terrible?  Remember when Herb Beas did "Operation:Flashpoint" (the Kaumberg civil war in the Davion Civil War era)?

yah, something like that as a non-canon sourcebook (or series of modules) that people could play out and see if their results match mine.

Maybe a 'quarantine campaign' for post-Jihad era showing just how things ran between "Black Jumpsails" and "The Administrator" for Kowloon.

and then a follow up with a bunch of major battles from the final Falcon War.

could even be a stack of the things. Lots of Aerotech/space battle scenarios with planetary invasion sub-modules.  why? because I doubt it was as 'easy' as the story makes it look, but I'm absolute crap for laying out good tabletop scenarios.

Then again, I'm LOVING what Giovanni_Blasini is doing with NIOPS in this-a tie in that isn't overt, but is really, really cool.  I'd like to see more-maybe a FWL based set of stories from someone who really, really rocks the purple, or something deeper with the Cappies or the Davions or the Dracs.

something like an "Age of Navies" group project.  yeah, that would be cool.  (My opinion, other views may vary).
it might be interested to see a Ngo fanbook & tech readout with maybe some Scenarios.  I mean you have put lots of work into Coast Guard and how they work.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 28 May 2020, 11:05:06 »
"...you know this can't end well for you.  Before you pull that trigger, think about this...

...Forgiveness isn't something you give to someone who deserves it, because that's the person who doesn't need it, same goes for redemption."  CPO Christine Vanh stared intently at the welded hatch on the old Merchant class ship.  "We can make this stop, Gary.  You don't have to do this, we can make it stop, we can make it go away and nobody has to die, but if you pull that trigger, people will die, and you still won't get what you want."

Taps on the ship's systems from engineering showed up on the lower quadrant of her helmet's heads-up display.  The man on the other side of the door wore a ragged green uniform, and he was holding the family of the ship's master at needler point. 

"I can die with my honor!" he spits at the camera.

"No, you won't.  If you make me come in there, you'll die like a rabid dog.  No honor, no glory, just a rogue and a war criminal, gunned down by police after he killed civilians."  she said quietly,  "You did it, you didn't surrender, you stuck it out and you kept out of sight, but this is it, the end of the line, you're the last Mongol standing, are you going to go down like an animal, Gary? How is that going to look in the Remembrance, Gary? there are still Falcons, do you think we won't show them you dying like a beast? is that a legacy worthy of a man with Hazen blood?"

"What would you know?" he demanded.

"I grew up sixty seven kilometres south of Hue, my family lives next to the Mosovich-Icazas.  I know you don't want this to be how you go down-you're Jade Falcon, not...this. Be the man you know you should be. Let the civilians go and come out-you can still redeem your honor."

the portion of the hatch that wasn't welded groaned, and opened.

"Children first!" she heard him bark.  The kids came tumbling through the opening, pulled aside and passed down the corridor from hand to hand.

The woman came next.

Then, the man.

"I'm coming in there, Gary, you did the honorable thing." she said.

THe needler's discharge bounced off her faceplate as she came through, and anchored on the wall/deck.

"You're armored." he said.

"I'm Coast Guard, Gary.  we live in this stuff." she told him, "You don't." she reached up, and lifted her faceplate, "Let's be honorable about this, give me a minute to get out of the armor."

He waited while she crawled out of the oversuit, and closed it behind her.  "We don't have to do this, You can come in, I can get you immigrant status in Hue, you don't have to burn up."

"Ah, 'immigrant' status, with the abjured." he scoffed, "They would not have me."

"there are other options, a fresh start on one of the colonies, they could use a man who is resourceful and committed." she told him, "if you insist, augmented or not?"

He cast the needler aside, and drew a fighting knife.

"Bargained well and done." she said, and drew her own.  "I will bring you in alive, Gary."  she quickly slipped an end of cord through the lanyard loop, and looped the rest around her wrist with a grapple weight on the end.

he snarled, and launched himself.

She whipped the weight out in a snap-arc and it tangled around his feet, letting her use her magnetic boots to run along the wall, whipping him feet-for-head into the bulkhead with a bang and a surprised yelp.

she used her leverage and anchorage to whip him away from the wall, velocity keeping him in motion with alternating acceleration and impacts.

An elemental, even one with Hazen blood, is a huge mass to manipulate with rescue cord and a grapple weight, and Gary wasn't trained for this kind of zero-gee combat.

Christine use a yank and a twist to roll his flailing limbs in the cord, ducking and jumping across the command deck of the stricken vessel, to anchor again on the far wall, his velocity pulling him tight in the two thousand kilo test line.

she'd looped around his arms, pulled them tight to his body at the elbow.  He thrashed and each thrash tangled him further (with her encouragement) until they were almost nose-to-nose.  "Do you yield warrior?" she asked.

His face twisted in fury, he grunted, his fighting knife falling from purpling fingers.  "yes, damn you." he hissed.

this close, the big man was so familiar, his stubborn pride and pain at defeat so much like her father.

they were even roughly the same age.

"I accept your bond." she told him, loosening the rescue cord enough to slip the item from her pocket out, and tie it around his wrist, "bondsman." she added, "You can regain your honor with discipline, faith, and obedience."

she untangled him, "Let's get you home now, Gary, your people need you."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 28 May 2020, 11:19:50 »
KCGS Morgan Icaza...

"Good god, Christine, you made him a Bondsman?" 

"Aye sirrah." she answered.  "I did.  Are you going to report this?" 

"I have to." Commander Ira Buhallin-Hawk said.  "I doubt you will be permitted to keep him, at minimum he will have to transfer to Spider Moon for training-and he is old."

"Sirrah, all due respect, I was a kid when the Falcons were broken-he's the same age as my dad...but Coast Guard reg says I can offer him a bond as an honorable alternative to arrest if it gets him to not kill civilians, and that's what I did."

"I will support it if it comes to a review." Ira told her, "where will you be settling him?"

"I'm thinking he can immigrate to Hue once his five's up if he doesn't stay in, sir." she said.

"Get him kitted and start working him through basic apprenticeship-we are not going back to Spider Moon, but instead we are set to rendezvous with LCN Second Fleet in sixty days."

"Aye Sirrah."

"And find him a bunk!"

"Aye sirrah!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #76 on: 28 May 2020, 15:02:04 »
Well... that's ONE way to add crew to a ship...  ::)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 28 May 2020, 18:10:15 »
KCGS Evelynn Mosovich, Idrmach system,  September 5, 3165...

"...look, I don't have a problem with you importing weapons, heck, we're officially hands-off except...you're taking pot-shots at random trading ships." Lt. Commander Truk Jennison was having a 'day' here, trying to mediate a local conflict that was getting out of hand.

"They are Spying on us!"  the lordling supreme leader of Idmach spat in increasing fervent inbred frustration.

"Okay, we can solve that." Truk growled in frustration.

"Solve it?"

"Yes, if the jumpships and dropships are spying on you, the Coast Guard can post your system as a do-not-enter with warning beacons and a general quarantine.  No more spying, we'll even voluntarily enforce it."  he'd had enough of this crap.  "I can guarantee we can make sure not a single jumpship enters your space for as long as it takes for this to blow over.  no more traders, no more gun-runners, no more 'spies', you'll be free to do...whatever it is you're doing, no more bothersome interstellar trade, spare parts, ammunition, industrial goods, manufactured goods or medicines.  Thing is, you're halfway there already because we've gotten complaints about your 'defensive fire' from every shipper and trader in the cluster and the only reason I'm here is to try and stop your neighbours from putting an embargo on your ass."

he didn't realize he was shouting until he stopped speaking.

on the vid, the Supreme Leader quailed, wide-eyed.  "That would kill us..."

"No shit, but you're so frekking paranoid that someone is going to see you bolting armor plates on industrial mechs that you're missing the bigger picture here-you need that stuff to live and if you keep shooting at the people who bring it to you, you won't get it.  If you take up piracy, you will get an LCN Punitive expedition up your ass...and that's if they're being nice, if we have to do it it's elbar toothpicks for everyone responsible."

"We have the right to defend our territory!"

"I'm not disputing your sovereign rights, I'm telling you that I'm here today to keep this from spiraling out of control, you need trade to live, and to restock your expended ammunition, but mostly to live.  So, let's talk deals and talk about talking to your neighbours so that you still have an economy to be paranoid about."

"Sir!"  Lt. Charlee Riggs interrupted.

"Dammit what-"

"Emergence waves detected at the zenith and nadir, large ones." she said.

"Son of a bitch.  Send an all-points to the rest of the patrol-" He turned tot he comm panel, "We're going to need to talk later, Mister Orlov, but in the meantime, you might want to scramble that ragged-ass piece of shit you call a militia, because company has arrived in force and it's not us."  with a gesture, he cut the transmission to the planet.  "Helm, get us underway and moving!  Gladlee, I want telescopes on those points, show me what we're in for!"
« Last Edit: 28 May 2020, 18:47:16 by Cannonshop »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #78 on: 28 May 2020, 18:14:22 »
Somebody's in trouble...  ::)

BTW, it's "underway"... you "weigh" anchor... two different things...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 28 May 2020, 18:48:13 »
Somebody's in trouble...  ::)

BTW, it's "underway"... you "weigh" anchor... two different things...

the attempted pun didn't work.  in null-gee, being under thrust gives weight, so... but it didn't work, so edited.

AMARDA

• Recruit
« Reply #80 on: 28 May 2020, 18:55:53 »
I got it. Kinda wish you kept it in, as it makes total sense in a Zero Gee context.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 28 May 2020, 18:59:45 »
Sorry... 27 years in the Navy got to me first...

kindalas

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 28 May 2020, 19:04:49 »
the attempted pun didn't work.  in null-gee, being under thrust gives weight, so... but it didn't work, so edited.

It was an awesome line. It's the kind of clever that I like.

Sorry... 27 years in the Navy got to me first...

Wrong type of navy I guess  :P

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 28 May 2020, 21:11:14 »
[out of story] 

Now begins the massive research and list making effort.  why, you ask?  I've got to figure out just how thoroughly steamrolled 4th Squadron, KCGM 9th Cutter Division is going to get.  I have to assign values to the asskicking which they are about to receive.

I have to figure out which of my characters is going to die horribly at Idrmach, defending a tinpot dictator for no pay far from home in an effort to speedbump the invasion that's coming.

I suppose it's not that horribly, really...

ThePW

• Lieutenant
« Reply #84 on: 28 May 2020, 21:39:09 »
It was an awesome line. It's the kind of clever that I like.

Wrong type of navy I guess  :P

Choose your Rate, Choose your fate.  ::)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 28 May 2020, 22:48:39 »
Defending forces:

4th Squadron, 9th Cutter Division

2 Patrol, 4th Sqdn. 9th Cutter Division

KCGS Evelynn Mosovich, Veteran/Reliable, Sampan Mk IV*
KCGS Edward Vanh Veteran/Fanatical Sampan Mk IV*
KCGS Kelli Whyte II  Regular/Fanatical Sampan Mk IV*
KCGS Nathan Roshak Regular/Reliable Sampan Mk IV*

3 Patrol, 4th Sqdn. 9th Cutter Division

ACGS Melinda Castellanao, Regular/Reliable Sampan Mk III* (Arluna)
WCGS Luanne Pfiel, Regular/Fanatical Sampan mk IV(Winter)
KCGS  Linda Sithers, Veteran/Reliable Sampan Mk IV** (Boojum/Kowloon outer system)
MCGS Sydney Davis-Copperton, Regular/Reliable Sampan Mk IV* (Mandaoaaru)

Mark numbers followed by an asterisk indicate updated or upgraded technologies and/or late model manufacture.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #86 on: 29 May 2020, 02:22:27 »
As long as they get a message out, they will not have died in vain...

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #87 on: 29 May 2020, 02:38:47 »
Well, maybe there can be diplomacy first? Because you know, those forces about to hit them are probably filled to the gills with refugees from the homeworlds?

In any case HIGHCOM already cut orders for 2nd Fleet to haul ass there didn't it?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #88 on: 29 May 2020, 06:02:43 »
Never know Clan Warriors to try Diplomatic Means first...  So if they are controlling this fleet, I doubt it.

The other option is if he ships themselves can't HPG a message out, and there no HPG in system, 1 of the cutter needs to head back, knowing most likely they will never see the rest alive again.
I would suggest the following to be sent for HELP being the oldest ship type
ACGS Melinda Castellanao, Regular/Reliable Sampan Mk III* (Arluna)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 29 May 2020, 11:11:29 »
The emergence wave cleared...

and revealed the pathetic defense of this degenerate hole.  The ship types on radar were familiar, but not too familiar.  The Hansa had fielded a handful of primitive, pre-dreadnought Gunboats obtained from Founder-only-knows-where.  a handful of easily shattered, obsolete hulls crewed by devoted-if completely outclassed, crewmen.

mass spectra showed the three visible ones falling into formation were only slightly better than the brutalized and dysfunctional Mark 51s that died trying to defend the homeworld of the Hanseatics.

These were only slightly bigger-still below 100,000 tons.  Flimsy machines.

Star Commodore Leland stared at the telescope image of the vessels forming up a mere 2,000,000 kilometers off his warship's port bow.

Statistical analysis by the warbook was having a problem identifyng them, but the roundels?  Those could be enhanced.

as could the view as each of the three ships launched six fighters.  something tugged at the back of his mind, and it took him a moment to grasp what that something was.

the fighters were identical.

someone's pride project, no doubt-or some remnant factory pushing out all the same products...

one of the small ships fired her manuevers-and pushed off with three gravities of acceleration.

They weren't running away.

"Launch aerostars." He ordered.

something picked at his memories, memories of Sibko classes and boring historical analysis in basic tactical training.

something about the roundel...

"Have you identified these?"

"They are identifying themselves, Ovkhan."  the technician caste at comms said.  "We are being hailed by...The Kowloon Coast Guard."

"Out here?"

Register