Author Topic: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2  (Read 246174 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Alternate Timeline with Thanks (FULL) Part 2
« Reply #900 on: 22 October 2017, 12:01:43 »
It's either Horse action or WOB action that keeps me reading, the rest is just butter on warm toasty toast!

Keep up the updates please DC...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #901 on: 03 November 2017, 17:05:54 »
My thanks to James Tanaga for adding a little more action to the Lyran's periphery border

Davion Wing, Whitting Conference Centre
Unity City, North America
Terra, Star League Protectorate
1st November 3110

Victor Steiner-Davion entered the Davion Wing of the Whitting Centre on the eve of the Seventeenth Whitting Conference.  In the main meeting room he saw his daughter-in-law Duhess Sterling Davion with her daughter Leah and youngest son Christopher.  “Grandfather!”  Leah called out seeing him dropping her toy and running across the room at twelve years old she was growing up quickly she wrapped her arms around him as he approached.  Her four year old brother Christopher was slower but reached him a moment or two later.

“Sire, it is good to see you” Sterling said rising from one of the white leather couches she wore a simple black knee length skirt with a green lined red jacket her red hair was tied back in a single ponytail.

“Sterling, please you know you do not need to stand on ceremony” Victor said stepping further into the room the two children returning to their toys.  “Where is Burton?”

“Where else does a restless MechWarrior go?”  She asked rhetorically knowing that Victor would know the answer.  “He said he wouldn’t be long” she said glancing at the door which led to the Mechbay “that was six hours ago.”  She said turning back with a smile on her face “he is a Davion son through and through it keeps him happy.”

“I hear that you too have been returning to what your old habits?”  He said

“They die hard” she confirmed “I joined the FSS Sword and Sun on a patrol of the Snow Raven border” she said the Federated Suns Navy had essentially offered her a command of any vessel she wanted with the High Command honouring her previous training and experience with Clan Snow Raven.  So far she had turned down their offer instead serving as an observer she had told Burton that until Leah and Christopher were both old enough to cope alone she planned to remain an observer on any of these tours he arranged.  “It is a good ship and a good crew.  They are eager to teach the Draconis Combine a lesson for their incursions but will wait until commanded.”  She said confident in the ship’s resolve.

“I know it must hurt their morale not to strike but the Combine remains part of the League and the Federated Suns drive towards Benjamin has driven a wedge between the nations committing further troops would only spark a greater conflict one that may even draw in the Ravens.”

“Neg, the Ravens would only fight if provoked and thus far that has not happened.”  She pointed out “the Combine continues to escalate the situation while our forces and people suffer.”  She said passionately Victor smiled happy to see she had fallen in love with the people of his nation as she had his son.

“There is a time and a place.  I hoped that this conference would lead to a peace…”

“It would have if the Snakes had bothered to show up.”  She shot back interrupting him “I apologise, si… Victor, I have over stepped” she said glancing down.

“Neg, you have not” he said answering using her tongue.  “You are right the Coordinator sending a Warlord in his place has done more damage than good.”  He admitted instead of Coordinator Akira Kurita the Draconis Combine’s Warlord of Dieron Akira Tormark had attended the conference although Tormark had the authority to cast the Combine’s vote it made the chances of peace near impossible and almost completely ruled out the Draconis Combine holding the office of First Lord.  “Where is Luther?”  He asked glancing down at the two playing children wondering where their eldest was.

“At home studying Sarah is looking after him while we are away” she said naming one of Burton’s siblings.  Victor nodded understanding but at the same time concerned that the future leader of the Federated Suns was not here to see what he could face in the future should these conferences last that long.

“I’ll go see my son, I’ll be back up later you two” Victor said the the children who waved him goodbye as Victor headed out the back door and began to head down a spiral staircase towards the lower level below the living quarters was the security level and then below that was a small but well stocked armoury and Mechbay.

Victor saw Burton’s Templar was in the bay he was surprised to hear that his son had taken the OmniMech to a planet where there was nearly zero chance of combat occurring but Burton had explained that it played to the image he was a Warrior Prince like Davion Leaders of old.  It had struck him when he read his son’s response that Burton was far more media savvy than he ever had been.

Reaching the eighty-five ton Templar III’s foot however Victor’s attention was drawn to the OmniMech standing beside it.  The Templar III was an impressive slick design, an evolution of an OmniMech that had dominated the ranks of the AFFS for decades, but the OmniMech that stood beside it was in a class of its own.  One hundred tons of engine, armour, equipment and weapons it was the panicle of BattleMech technology one of the ultimate killing machines ever built by humanity. “Prometheus…” he whispered looking at the Dire Wolf still painted in the colours of the Tenth Lyran Guards RCT. 

“Beautiful isn’t she?”  His son asked appearing beside him Burton wore a full body coolant suit, a far more advanced system than Victor ever had in his day.

“She’s functional and capable” Victor said looking at the details of the OmniMech “I haven’t seen her for many years.”  He said looking up at the OmniMech “why did you bring it?”

“Old habits” he said looking at his father smiling.  “Also I hear that the SLDF have some impressive training facilities nearby, I though we could maybe take a run at it?”

“Your mother will kill me” Victor admitted looking at the OmniMech.

“If I am not mistaken mother is in Paris which is half a world away from us…”

“Very true”

--------------

Nearly an hour later the Templar III and Dire Wolf stood on the battlefield facing off against several automated targets.  “Let’s dance” Burton broadcast in the open the Templar III danced to the right engaging a long range missile turret while the Dire Wolf went left engaging a turret with heavy autocannons.  As each of the two OmniMechs moved their simulated fire registered as damage to their targets shutting them down while the turrets fired paint rounds at their targets which registered as real damage.  It wasn’t as spectacular as real fighting but it was more cost effective and didn’t result in accidental deaths of MechWarriors.

Victor moved quickly from one target to the next his Dire Wolf taking damage as he moved but the OmniMech was easily capable of taking the hits and dealing with these targets.  As he moved he keyed his microphone to Burton’s frequency “not much of a challenge” he noted as a group of lasers engaged resulting in simulated burn damage.

“It’s not supposed to be” Burton replied obliterating a target of his own “but the Tri-Vid cameras will love seeing Prometheus in action once more.”

“Still playing games” Victor remarked as an autocannon barrage registered a hit on his OmniMech striking above the cockpit.  Victor’s pace ground to a halt as he listened to his son’s reply.

“Old habits, die hard, dad everyone loves seeing their heroes in action even against training targets.”  Burton explained cutting down another target “and its something very special seeing you at her controls again.”  He said watching as Victor split targets taking down two more turrets from his standing position.

“I always thought you’d take over her controls.”

“Prometheus is and always will be your Mech, and a little too slow for my taste, you have to be able to move around your opponent Instead of just taking hits.”  He said destroying another target but seeing his father’s OmniMech remained standing still he sent a command to the turrets to stand down before circling back to join his father.  “Perhaps I’ll gift it to Luther when he’s ready.”   “Sterling said he was studying?”

“Aff, I mean yes” Burton said stumbling over the response being married to a Clanswoman led to mixed up responses sometimes. “I’m convinced he’ll be the smartest Davion for decades.  And he’ll be a fine MechWarrior when the time comes.”  Burton explained Victor nodded not completely convinced that his grandson was as decided about his future as Burton was.  It was tradition for First Princes of the future to be members of the AFFS but that did not necessarily mean being a MechWarrior.

“Shall we go back?”  Victor asked glancing at the damage schematic for his OmniMech the simulated damage remaining with the gash above its cockpit standing out to the elder Davion.  Had it been a real hit the cockpit would have likely been breached by the damage, a breach that could have killed him.

“Not tempted to get back in the saddle full time?”  Burton teased as the two Mechs began to walk back towards the Mechbay.

“No it’s a habit I was happy to turn my back on it’s a younger man’s game and one I am glad to see that you play well.”  He said looking over his son’s statistics from the “battle” high hit percentages and low damage he was impressed but his eyes were brought back to the simulated damage again he had many close calls in the past why it bothered him to see a simulated hit like it did he didn’t know.

Main Meeting Hall, Whitting Conference Centre
3rd November 3110

Victor Steiner-Davion remembered that Whitting Conferences were shorter as he sat behind his Burton and Sterling with his wife Danai Centrella-Davion they were the oldest two people in the room by a margin.  In the early days the conferences had been simple the lords had discussed the SLDF’s capabilities, its funding and the ever present Clan threat and then they had voted for a new First Lord.  Now however with the growing size and economic strength of the Star League Protectorate trade was just as strong a factor with trade going through the Protectorate from different nations to avoid conflict zones which made the Protectorate worlds more prosperous each day.  Many within the conference hall wished to see the trade tariffs reduced and instead more money sent to the member states.

Victor paid little attention to their bickering as he looked around the hall he had been surprised to see Archon Jessica Steiner her embattled Lyran Commonwealth was still under heavy threat from the Clans with reports of renewed fighting along their borders.  She was his niece but they barely knew each other their families long separated since Peter’s assumption of the Archonship it bothered him that he did not know his brother’s children better.
Sitting next around the table was Warlord Akira Tormark the representative of the Coordinator Akira Kurita.  Tormark was older than his son and tried to look confident but he was out of place and knew his plans were tied.  Earlier in the day Burton had offered to end the conflict with the Combine and return the systems of Hagiwawa, Umijiri and Kitalpha in the exchange.  The deal was more than Victor would have been ready to return but Akira Tormark was not in the position to agree to the deal and so it had fallen through.

At the next table sat Duke Bannister Cameron the leader of the Star League Protectorate and the next most likely person to become First Lord.  The former Star League Defence Force General was aging well but Victor could see that the stress of leadership was getting to him as was the bickering between leaders.  His attention was brought to his left as Protector Erik Martens-Calderon said something towards Burton and McKenna immediately he moved to stand but Danai’s hand ended up on his arm bringing him back down into his seat he looked at her “old habits” he whispered but Danai was already indicating towards their son who was already acting.  Burton activated several commands on the keypad which was built into the desk which activated the hall’s main projector screen.  Suddenly several red dots appeared displaying the positions of AFFS ground force units and then several more green dots displayed mercenary commands.  Victor had no idea if they were completely accurate but it made of an impressive display especially when the blue dots representing AFFS WarShips appeared peppering the Federated Suns/Taurian Concordat border.  Finally Burton activated another command which displayed a smaller number of yellow dots inside Taurian borders.

“Simple mathematics I have more forces I can deploy would you like to test my resolve?”  The First Prince of the Federated Suns asked beside the Taurian leader the Capellan Confederation ambassador began to laugh.  Although not members of the Star League Council still being a prominent family in the Inner Sphere the Liao family ambassador was regularly invited but rarely attended the votes.

“And still the Davion family attempts to boss these meetings around there is a reason that House Liao stands apart from this council” Ambassador Ming Liao taunted looking around the other members of the council.

“At least we still benefit from the advantages of membership” Magestix Ilsa Centrella of the Magistracy of Canopus said taunting the Succession State.  Victor shook his head this was not the best way to do business instead it was a good way to go around in circles.

-----------

As the Star League member states exchanged insults and fought for dominance in the Whitting Conference Hall across the stars a different type of fight had broken out.  During the night as the Star League met the Jade Falcon WarShips Jade Arrow and Emerald Talon supported by several assault DropShips and nearly a full galaxy of ground forces had jumped into the Donegal system obliterating the LCS Morgan Kell and crippling the LCS Flygia within days Jade Falcon troops would march on the Provincial Capital.

First Lord’s office, Unity Palace
4th November 3110

A week before this had been Victor Steiner-Davion’s office while he served as First Lord of the Star League in the position of his son now it was the office of the newest First Lord, Bannister Cameron, as Victor walked into the office he saw that Bannister waited for him behind the desk.  “I love what you’ve done with the place” Victor joked the office was no different than when he had used it a large round room with one wall completely dominated by large windows.

“I see you didn’t waste anytime either” Bannister said rising from behind the desk unlike the business suit Victor had wore while serving as First Lord he now wore the uniform of a Field Marshal of the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns.

“It’s a little tighter than I remember” Victor admitted touching the waistband of the trousers “it’s all for show while I am here on Terra Burton is convinced that it will show our people that I haven’t gone native.”  He explained again Burton had impressed him showing a near complete understanding of what was going on at home and what needed to be done to keep the masses happy.  “Congratulations on your nomination” he said half seriously continuing to one of the white leather sofas sitting down while Bannister sat opposite him.

“Perhaps the easiest decision that the council ever made” Bannister admitted each of the states could technically be nominated but with the Federated Suns previously holding the positon, the Draconis Combine leader failing to attend, the Free Worlds League leader looking out of his depth and the Lyrans distracted there was little chance of the other main states gaining the position.  Although both member states of the Star League neither the Taurian Concordat nor the Magistracy of Canopus had any realistic chances of gaining the leadership position with their well known history with the first Star League.  “Do you think my speech made any headway?”

“About the uncontrolled arms race that is going on and the steady fall towards a conflict as large as any of the Succession Wars?”  Victor asked Bannister nodded it was all he could think to speak of following the failure of the council to stop the ongoing conflicts.  “Perhaps but I think the news of the fighting on the Lyran border had everyone more concerned.”  He said news that Donegal had been attacked had reached the Council chambers shortly after Bannister had been nominated as the next First Lord.  Archon Jessica Steiner had left nearly immediately heading for a DropShip which immediately boosted off planet heading for a waiting JumpShip.  Under the rules of the current Star League no member state WarShip was allowed to leave the Nadir and Zenith jump points instead SLDF JumpShips situated at pirate points waited to take leaders via command circuit back to their own states.

“Yes, Archon Steiner will arrive in the Commonwealth to a fight her people cannot win” Bannister Cameron said looking at Victor his face a mask “Shortly Donegal will be under siege and Pherkad has already fallen to the Falcons.  Grunwald and Kelenfold have fallen to the Horses and there are reports that the Coyotes have attacked Morningside.”  He said reaching out to touch a control on the table that displayed all three Clans had moved forward against the Lyrans.

“A combined offensive” Victor said looking at the map “anything from the Bears?”

“No neither the Bears nor the Wolves have made any move forwards it appears that they are ready to sit and wait.”  Bannister said looking up at Victor “this conflict is the one the Star League was formed to combat I won’t let the Lyrans hang alone.”  He said switching the display to one of the Star League Protectorate which sat in the middle between the five Succession States and Clan Wolf’s Empire.  “I’ve sent orders to the Warlock, Wasp, Cavalier and Vanguard along with the Thirty-first Royal BattleMech Brigade, the First Royal Regimental Brigade and the Second Knights of the Inner Sphere Brigade.”  He explained “we are going to reinforce Lyran positions and force the Falcons off Donegal and support the defences against the Falcons and Coyotes.”

“Cavalier and Vanguard?” Victor said naming two of the Obey-class Battleships based in the Fenwick system both were untested in battle.  While First Lord Victor had learned of the Fenwick and the ships based there he had agreed with Bannister Cameron and Victor Focht to keep the system a secret to protect the population now deploying both ships before they had undergone any of the proposed modifications would bring questions that the SLDF was probably not ready to answer.

“We need to make a statement” Bannister explained “I’m sending Victor Focht to oversee and command them he can liaise with the Lyran commanders.”

“Victor is a good commander but he hasn’t faced the pressures that he will face on Donegal before.”  He said Victor Focht was an excellent administrator and strategist but his tactical thinking sometimes could be better.  He had also never negotiated with the Clans before.

“Well I don’t think they would react well to a First Lord by the name of Cameron turning up.”  Bannister pointed out Victor nodded Bannister Cameron turning up on the border was probably the last thing that the Lyrans needed.  “Want the job?”

“Not really” Victor admitted “I retired for a reason.”  He said thinking about Danai and her thoughts of him even considering going on a mission like this.

“You retired far younger than most men would have, I saw your range scores with Burton still at the level you were previously at” Bannister pointed out “with modern medicine you could live another fifty years easily.”  He said one thing that had rapidly returned to the most advanced parts of the Inner Sphere was the benefits brought on by modern medicine and medical technology with the inclusion of Clan technologies, which had been reverse engineered to work with Inner Sphere technology, lifespans had increased to between one hundred-and-twenty and one hundred-and-thirty years.

“Do you know I have lived longer than my father did?”  Victor asked looking at Bannister “with all of the fighting that he did and all the stresses he faced he died in his office at sixty-nine years old he died before he saw his children fully grow up when they could have used his support.”  He said Victor had inherited leadership of the Federated Commonwealth after the death of his father and the murder of his mother had they been around the nation that their marriage built could have survived.

“That may have been true.  At the same time perhaps the Commonwealth was simply too big and too diverse to last, the same happened with the First Star League.”  Bannister noted “from what I read about Hanse Davion I don’t think your father was a man to dwell on what could have been.”  Bannister said carefully realizing it was a touchy subject for Victor “I don’t think you are that kind of man either.”

“It would surprise you.”  Victor admitted “one thing that would make an impact on the Clans was if the Lyrans were supported by a multi-national force.”  He suggested “if we could convince the member states to support the SLDF it would send a message.”

“The Star League Defence Force will follow Victor Focht but, I do not know if the member states would, this has not been tested for many years.”

“I will command them” Victor said after a moments thought glancing up at Bannister “I have done it before I can do it again.”  He said “I will speak with my son and have the Black Prince detached from his escort, we can try to convince Warlord Tormark to detach a destroyer or two from Dieron’s defence.”  He suggested

“Destroyers are about all you’d receive since I don’t think Tormark will want to risk the Akagi.”  Bannister Cameron agreed “I can speak with Captain-General Ledford and see what the Free Worlds League can add to this force but I wouldn’t expect anything from the periphery states.”

“By the time they arrived it would all be over.”

“I wouldn’t hold my breath about gaining anything from House Liao.”

“Perhaps a knife in the back” Victor half joked rising from his chair opposite him Bannister also rose extending his hand to shake Victor’s.

“You do not need to do this” Bannister said as they shook hands.

“I owe it to my father and to Peter to try.”  He admitted having thought about it he wouldn’t forgive himself if something happened to the Lyran people or Jessica that he could have stopped.  He thought about what Bannister had said about his father Hanse Davion did not live with what could have been he went out to fix it.  “Now I have to try and explain this to my wife.”

------------------

“You agreed to what?”  Danai Centrella-Davion said angrily stepping towards her husband off to the side Burton and Sterling stood in a stunned silence.

“I agreed to help…” Victor repeated

“You owe them nothing” Danai said stepping closer to him she was as beautiful as ever and probably as angry as he had ever seen her.  “You are not the First Lord anymore, you’re not the Archon-Prince!”  She almost shouted turning her back on him hiding her tears.

“Dad, this isn’t your fight” Burton said but Victor hadn’t taken his eyes off Danai’s back.  “Your place is at home, we have our own problems.”

“Son, I helped form this Star League, I took the fight to the Clans before I know better than anyone how they think.  Victor Focht for all his experience doesn’t know how they think I can bring the Falcons to heel.”

“Sire… Victor, the Falcons are not the Falcons you once fought” Sterling Davion reminded him her experience as Snow Raven Khan had taught her that the Clans were changing; and perhaps not for he better.

“I know the risks” he said looking at his son “which is why I’m borrowing the Black Prince.”

“The Fox’s Teeth are also on-board; they were supposed to be training with the SLDF I guess that can wait and some live fire training is in their future.”

“They are most welcome to join up” Victor said as Danai turned “I hope our strength shows the Falcons this isn’t a fight they can win and their fighting skills are not needed” he said looking at his wife.  “Danai…”

“No, it’s my turn” said cutting him off “I’m not happy with this decision, this was stupid of you, you retired” she said rapidly taking a step towards him.  “But this kind of impulsive decision is why I fell in love with you” she said stepping again towards him “I’m coming with you, we’re doing this together.”  She said as Victor pulled her close to him it wasn’t part of his plan but she had been at his side during the Clan War and had given him a family he was very proud of he wouldn’t turn her away now they were in this together.

Royal Visit
Milnerton, Sian Commonality
Capellan Confederation
12th November 3110

With rumours circulating about the whereabouts of the Capellan Confederation’s secret shipyard Chancellor Dao-Shen Liao took the time to visit Milnerton on the FWL border with three elite regiments of troops and the WarShips Chancellor’s Pride and two Wudang Jian-class Frigates leading many to believe that the visit was a prelude to a new Capellan offensive into the Free Worlds League.

Erinyes (Modified Newgrange-class)
Orbit of Son Hoa
Son Hoa Theater, Lyran Commonwealth
18th November, 3110

An old man looked out across the dark space onto the fires below, idly spotting wrecking of the former LCS Storm Watch float by. The planet’s surface glowed red hot as magma erupted from its broken skin. A day ago, the planet was a vibrant, fertile world, housing a population of over three billion souls.

Now, a day apart, only ashes and uncontrollable fires remained as a declaration of war it was quite a statement.

“It is as your Messiah had foretold. ‘A future of nought but fire and ash.’” The much younger woman standing next to him remarked, a sadistic smile creeping on her middle-aged, yet beautiful face.

Her response elicited a rare smile from him in return. Though she remained a sceptic even after all these years of his righteous cause and in the Word of Blake, he long ago acknowledged she was a firm believer in him. And though he valued fanaticism far more than firm loyalty in his fellow believers, he had long ago accepted loyalty was sometimes more useful.

“The long-simmering fire within our fellow believers and our Circinian brothers and sisters will be once again lit this day,” he replied out loud.

“And today will be a day long-remembered, my love,” she responded back as she pulled an arm around his waist, an action he seldom allowed in public, yet today he instead returned. “Let us watch the fire below for a while yet, beloved.”

He answered her request by resting his head upon her shoulder. They both stood there, gently floating in microgravity, with their arms around each other, as the planet below continue to its fiery death.

Across the entire Inner Sphere, the holovideo of Son Hoa under continuous orbital bombardment, warning the Lyrans to leave Circinus space or else.

In Lyran space, elements of both the Third and Sixteenth Lyran Regulars act out against the Circinus worlds they are garrisoning forcibly putting down peaceful protests resulting in dozens of deaths, forcing the Circinus Son Hoa Theater March Militia RCT into action as the militia quickly moves to protect the civilians, effectively initiating a civil war throughout the Son Hoa Theater with pirate forces supporting the local militia forces they force the regular Lyran military and hired mercenaries from their garrisons.

In the next week, Lyran forces manage to hold the worlds of Andiron and Baltazar III, while the worlds of Circinus, Clayborne II, and Dierdre’s Den are overrun by the militia and pirate forces and a new Cirincus Federation is declared.

« Last Edit: 03 November 2017, 17:08:31 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #902 on: 03 November 2017, 17:06:08 »
FSS Black Prince (Mercury-class Battleship)
Nadir Point, Furillo
Halfway Province, Lyran Commonwealth
24th November 3110

Having used one of the “ready JumpShips” in the Terra system Victor Steiner-Davion had finally rendezvoused with the FSS Black Prince, the FSS Lucian Davion II and the FSS Adam Davion in the Furillo system.  On board the ships was McKinnon’s Regiment (Fox’s Teeth), a special detachment of the DMI and the Wild Geese mercenary regiment.

Entering the Black Prince’s main briefing room he saw Admiral Kristos Leroux, the commander of the Black Prince, and Colonel Canin McKinnon, the commander of the Fox’s Teeth.  Immediately Victor recoignized Canin McKinnon, the son of Ross McKinnon, “it has been many years Colonel”

“Too many, sire” McKinnon replied bowing his head slightly Victor nodded he reminded Victor of his father in his prime compact, muscled and with a very serious look.  From Canin he turned to the commander of the Black Prince.  Admiral Kristos Leroux was unique in the upper echelon of the FSN in that he had not been born in the Federated Suns instead Leroux had been born a member of Clan Nova Cat and captured in battle several years before.  As with many former Clansmen Leroux had adopted their new state as their own and he had excelled in WarShip command and combat showing loyalty to the Davion family that verged on fanatical rising through the ranks at a pace that few others could match.  Before Victor had left to become First Lord he had been serving as executive officer of the Black Prince.

“Admiral, what’s our status?”

“We have begun to recharge our drives, sire; it will take us another twenty-one days before we are ready to jump again.”  He said giving details on the Black Prince “Commanding-General Focht and elements of the First Royal Regimental Brigade have arrived in the Tharkad system while the SLS Wasp, the Cavalier and Vanguard along with two Tatsumaki II-class Destroyers and ground force elements including the Ninth Illician Lancers and the 241st Battle Combat Group are in the Canonbie system.”

“Admiral have our communications team send a message to Focht he needs to know that we are joining him and that we should attack together.  What about on Donegal?”  Victor asked taking a seat at the table beside him Danai took her seat with Leroux sitting opposite them and Colonel McKinnon remaining at the briefing screen.

“Sire, at 0842 this morning Clan Jade Falcon hit the Second Royal Guards RCT on Donegal with six clusters.”  McKinnon explained as the screen showed a graphic of Jade Falcon icons landing on Donegal.  “Lyran Intelligence has identified two of these units the Jade Falcon Guards and the Delta Solahma Clusters.”  He said the Jade Falcon Guards were famous, or infamous, while the Solahma would be used as a sacrifice to weaken the Falcon’s target.  “The other appear to be Eyrie Clusters but none have been seen in combat with Inner Sphere forces…”

“That crazy bitch!” Victor suddenly exclaimed bringing a surprised look from everyone around “Jana Pryde, she’s done a Marthe Pryde” he said looking around “she’s graduated their trainee warriors early and sent them to Donegal to become warriors.”

“Unproven warriors given such a task of seizing Donegal?”  Leroux questioned his face showing disgust for the strategy.

“It’s almost like they don’t want to claim it” Danai Centrella-Davion said quietly

“Or they are after another target” Victor suggested

“There is no other movement along the Falcon lines” McKinnon reported

“Maybe she he no intention on capturing Donegal” Victor said quietly “maybe this is just Coventry a big public attack intended on taking attention away from a weak Falcon Touman?”  He said thinking out aloud.  “Colonel, continue please” he said looking at McKinnon.

“Yes, sire, it appears that the attack on the Second Royal Guards was intended on inflicting as much damage as possible to the RCT.  The Falcon BattleMechs carried inferno rounds for their short range missile launchers and almost exclusively cluster rounds for their autocannons when they handed they concentrated on the House Steiner armoured vehicles, infantry and battle armour forces.  Fortunately for the Lyrans several of their units were outfitted with vehicle fire extinguishers which reduced the damage done by the fire” he said as the display screen showed a demonstration vehicle firing its fire extinguishers when struck by fire the vehicle was still damaged but survived the attack.  “Unfortunately their infantry was not as fortunate.”  He said neither McKinnon nor the displays needed to show the effect inferno explosions would have had on the conventional and battle armoured infantry.  “The Royal Guards were able to destroy approximately two clusters worth of forces of the Falcons but have been severely weakened…”

“What a waste of resources…” Leroux noted looking at the data they had on what had happened on Donegal so far.  “I apologise Lord Davion” he said “I did not mean to interrupt.”

“Nonsense, Admiral, you background was a contributing factor to you gaining this post” he said Kristos Leroux looked at him with a strange look.  “You had the skills and temperament to command a WarShip of the Federated Suns Navy but your unique heritage only added to the argument that allowed you to gain the command of this vessel.  Admiral Leroux your opinion is always welcome especially on Clan matters.”

“I understand” he said “these warriors represented the next generation of Jade Falcons to throw them into combat without completing their training or their final trials is a waste it is exactly what the Clans strive to avoid.”

“Yet history repeats itself they did this at Coventry and now here” Danai said “you’re not the only one reviving old habits.”  She said turning to her husband.

-------------------

Across the light years on Incukalns Khan Jana Pryde read the report from Donegal and beyond.  “Two clusters essentially lost in battle both Jade Arrow and Emerald Talon are damaged and the Flygia escaped?”  She said looking at Loremaster Taman Malthus

“Aff, Khan Pryde, the ship's crew was able to force off our boarding teams and jump to Coventry.  We believe Flygia will be crippled for years to come.””

“Do you think they have a chance?”  She said indicating back to the troops on Donegal.

“Our forces can overwhelm the defences on Donegal” the Loremaster said “and if they fail our WarShips can sterilize he surface” he said smiling she wasn’t completely convinced that he was not serious.

“That will not accomplish the goals we need to accomplish” Pryde said “Donegal needs to serve a purpose, and not be wasteful to our Clan.  Is our next stage ready?”

“They await you Khan Pryde”

Military Raid
Allied States of John Marik, Twin Sons
District of Lesnovo, Free Worlds League
28th November 3110

Piloting a succession wars era CRB-27 Crab BattleMech which the Twin Sons military had taken from a pirate, refurbished and put back into service Force Commander Petra Furey watched as members of her infantry team, including an entire squad of Elemental bred troopers, entered a military complex of Marshal Pietre Contractor the local commander of the Allied States of John Marik on Twin Sons.

For the last three weeks members of the southern militia under the command of Contractor had raided the Badlands destroying facilities and killing dozens.  According to the Allied States it was due to a rise in bandit raids from the Badlands but they refused to allow the Badlands own security forces deal with it.  Despite her commanders knowing that Petra had recently fallen in with the hard core dark caste members on Twin Sons they had decided to support her call to arrest Contractor and return him to the Badlands to face justice.

This operation one of nearly a dozen over the last two months had cornered Contractor into a small naval base overlooking the Scabbard Sea, which on any other planet would have been a large lake, there Contractor had planned to board a large freighter which would take him away from his troubles but Petra Furey had struck sooner than expected.  Now sitting in her BattleMech Petra found the situation laughable the leader of this military region preparing to run away like a pirate while her Badlands force (which had been called the same) stood ready to deliver justice.  Their operation had gone off almost completely without a hitch with her commando team disabling Contractor’s ship before their main assault she had offered them a chance to surrender but they had refused and now, well now most of the base’s defenders were dead or in chains.

One of her cockpit lights began to flash rapidly and she flicked the switch “Furey” she said

“Boss, you need to get down here and have a look at this, you won’t believe what Contractor had hiding here.”  Alex one of her Elementals said over the comms.  Alex like her other infantry lacked a Battle Armour suit but he made up for that with his brawn born a freeborn son of two former-Smoke Jaguar trueborn Elementals he was easily as large any trueborn.

A little while later Petra had dismounted from her BattleMech and was inside one of the warehouses standing at Alex’s find “in Kerensky’s name” she said low enough for only Alex and his squad to hear.  In front of her stood the pieces of a Stormcrow OmniMech the popular Clan Smoke Jaguar medium design lacked arms and one of the legs but on the ground around it laid the parts that would be enough to rebuild the OmniMech.  “Where the hell did he get one of these and why is it in pieces?”

“Seems like they salvaged the body and then bought the other parts on the black market and have rebuilt her piece by piece.”  Alex said “the parts seem to be from different designs but they do seem to go together and I think that the OmniMech can be rebuilt and be operational again.”  He said leaning in towards Petra “to the victor goes the spoils Force Commander.”

“If only it worked out like that” Petra said looking at the OmniMech

“Perhaps it should OvKhan” Alex said.  Hours later they had pulled back into the Badlands the Allied States of John Marik issued an official protest with the Badlands rulers but Contractor still felt charges with an overwhelming amount of evidence against him.  The Stormcrow was moved to a secure facility in Port Arthur while the techs there tried to rebuild the OmniMech.

Ciudad del Mar, Buena
Alarion Theatre, Lyran Commonwealth
30th November, 3110

Kathy Parks rubbed her old eyes as she reviewed the latest military reports in the Son Hoa Theater. At seventy-eight years old, she was far past her prime and had finally retired shortly after the Stone Spirit Incursion had ended nearly four years ago.

She groaned as she felt the arthritis in her left hand act up again, softly reminding her she had done her duty, done it well, and had downright earned her retirement. Yet, she forced herself to continue reading the report as she made notes.

The days following the attack on Son Hoa by the Erinyes was a nightmare for the entire Lyran Commonwealth to say the least. In the first twenty-four hours after the attack alone, the Estates General used its Emergency Powers TWICE, something she never thought possible. The first was to remove Henrietta Bradford as the Lyran Intelligence Corps Director and the second was the removal of the entire Son Hoa Theater out from under Jessica Steiner’s direct control. Though it was officially only a temporary measure until the Clans in the North were beaten back, the Estates General message was crystal clear.

Donegal was the proverbial line in the sand. Should the planet fall, the Archon would soon thereafter.

Kathy knew Jessica wouldn’t take the Estates General threat lying down. A mere two hours after the Estates General’s decision was announced, Kathy was escorted to the planetary HPG station here on Buena. There, via HPG holo-conference, Jessica informed her she had selected Kathy to become Archonette of the Son Hoa Theatre for the duration.

To say she was shocked was an understatement. But she well-understood what Jessica was doing. With the Estates General seemingly united in a stand against the Archon, instead of fighting the assembly, the Archon had not only acquiesced, but pulled a fast one on the assembly. By nominating Kathy, a well-known recently retired military official, to the post before the Estates General was done squabbling over their own pick, the public saw the Estates General and the Archon were seemingly working together rather than at odds with one another.

She shook her head as she made another note, this time on known logistics within the theatre. What the Archon wanted, however, was a follower in power. And that Kathy was against. She would support the Archon, surely, but not follow her every command. And as an archonette, she held near autonomous power, eerily similar to that of the Isle of Skye.

She smiled as she remembered the response from the Estates General rebuking the Duke of Skye’s moving to become an Archonette in his own right, reprimanding him for “his obvious power play in the face of national calamity.” Served him right, she thought, as she flipped to another page, this one noting specific troop locations.

She had acted quickly in the first forty-eight hours, knowing full well the first seventy-two hours was when the public and thus the Estates General would act in full support of her, requested an additional nine planets be added to the theatre, while New India be formally detached to join Kaumberg Theatre. The same request included four warships with three cruisers minimum to be allocated to the theatre.

She got the planets and the Estates General had promised the warships. She knew she needed the latter now, especially due to losing contact with the worlds of Amel, Belzagor, Cyteen, and New St. Andrews in the past two days.

She again shook her head, idly making a note to redistribute the military forces now under her command, as well as recognizing the Buena Training Battalion as a federal one. Politics would have no place within the theatre's military apparatus, she had promised to the public upon accepting the Archon’s nomination of her as Archonette.

Jessica was not happy at her at the moment for both moves. But with those moves, she made it clear to all political sides. Kathy was not anyone’s pawn. She was a loyal supporter of both the Lyran realm and the current Archon and she counted the Archon as a personal friend. But she would do what she thought was right. For the theatre and for the realm.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #903 on: 03 November 2017, 19:29:52 »
Interesting update. I like it!  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #904 on: 05 November 2017, 14:48:21 »
Combat Information Centre, FSS Silver Lance
Zenith Point, June
Crucis March, Federated Suns
7th December 3110

The FSS Silver Lance emerged into the June system in a flash of light continuing its patrol, with the McKinnon’s Raiders Regiment in the Lyran Commonwealth, the Robinson Block III-class Transport ship had been assigned to patrol the Nova Cat border and the Federated Suns periphery region.  As they energed into the system they detected a cluster of wreckage close by.

“Report” Captain Margaret Joan demanded from her command chair “prepare all small craft and DropShips for recovery options, I want communication with June Planetary Command as well.”

“Analysing” the sensor operator then added after a moment “Captain, it’s the FSS Crucis March… debris suggests that its DropShips and aerospace fighters have also been destroyed.”

“Survivors?”

“Unknown”

“Not good enough, Mr Smith, move us within one hundred metres of the largest piece of wreckage, detach DropShips and begin recovery options.  Sensors, I want a detailed analysis of what caused this and reverse the path of the remaining wreckage and identify if anything out there is not consistant with what the Crucis March had onboard.”  She commanded looking at the screens as the Silver Lance’s transit drive was brought online and the ship began to move away from June’s star she felt a small sense of gravity in the CIC but remained in her chair.

Deep within the Silver Lance DropShips, small craft and aerospace fighters began to launch dropping into space to begin search and rescue operations.  The pilots would search the wreckage for their comrades and for a clue to what happened to the ship.  Had it been a terrible accident or had someone deliberately destroyed the FSS Crucis March?

Search and rescue operations recovered sixteen survivors from the Cruis March’s wreckage and two aerospace fighter pilots.  Over the course of a week long investigation the Silver Lance found that four of the Crucis March’s aerospace fighters were missing as was a civilian Mule-class DropShip which had been awaiting a JumpShip.  According to salvaged gun camera footage and sensor records the FSS Crucis March had been attacked by another WarShip one that was approximately 700,000 tons in weight and carried Clan Snow Raven’s insignia, the Sceptre.   Also according to the the Davion III’s surviving sensor records the destroyer had caused some damage to the larger Snow Raven-built vessel but it still appeared to be fully operational and had taken salvage and supplies from the Crucis March’s cargo bay and ammunition stores.

Kittery Royal Training Range
Kittery, Kittery Prefecture
Star League Protectorate World
12th December 3110

At the Star League Defence Force’s extensive training facilities on Kittery the Fourth Kittery Regimental Brigade, Stone’s Pride, began to test a modified version of the Star League-era Centurion Weapon System which they have named the Tight Steam Electo Magnetic Pulse Weapon, or TSEMP for short.  While the Centurion targeted specific circuits within certain BattleMechs limiting its usability the TSEMP could be used against any BattleMech and cause the same affect shutting it down.  Unfortunately, of the four prototypes available on Kittery three exploded during their initial testing phase leading to calls for a redesign from concerned SLDF officers adding to research and development’s problems the fourth weapon preformed below its expected capabilities.

Briefing Room, FSDS Davion’s Heart (Conquistador-class DropShip)
Pirate Point, Donegal
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
16th December 3110

Twenty-one days in the Furillo had seemed like an eternity but once the jump drives on the three WarShips had been primed they were ready to jump directly to Donegal with Victor commanding that they avoid wasting more time with a visit to Tharkad.  Unlike many systems Donegal had been extensively mapped and so they could enter the system at any of the pirate points closer to the planet’s surface.  At 0600 the FSS Black Prince, FSS Lucian Davion II and FSS Adam Davion entered the system deploying their DropShips an hour after the arrival of the WarShips the JumpShips carrying the First Royal Regimental Brigade’s DropShips along with Commanding-General Victor Focht entered the system.  Under acceleration Prince Victor Steiner-Davion walked into the briefing room of his Conquistador-class DropShip and saw Colonel Canin McKinnon standing at the display “what’s the status in system Colonel?”

“It’s very strange sir the Lyrans have been able to contain the Jade Falcons with their numbers reduced to two active Clusters but it was at a great cost.”  He said showing the display the Fifteenth Lyran Guards RCT had been virtually destroyed its numbers folded into the Second Royal Guards RCT to keep the unit operational.  “It appears we may have come all this way for nothing.”

“There’s still the two WarShips” Victor point out not that he wanted to take his ground forces against them.
“What was the point to this attack?  They come here kill hundreds of troops and lose as many of their own but they don’t reinforce their position.”  McKinnon asked looking at the screens it didn’t make sense.

“Blooding new troops eliminating the old blood?”  Victor said thinking of the Falcon tactics when they attacked Coventry which was similar to this current strategy.  “Old habits” he muttered thinking back to that conflict the fighting for Coventry could have gone so wrong “It’s a brutal tactic even for the Falcons…” he said as the display updated it showed several DropShips leaving Donegal’s surface. “Now what?” Victor wondered watching as the DropShips boosted to join the nearby Falcon WarShips.  The door to the briefing room opened again showing a young Leftenant who handed Colonel McKinnon a piece of paper.

“Oh my god…” McKinnon said looking at the Prince “sire, the Falcons have entered the Odessa system.”

---------------

“I am Khan Jana Pryde of Clan Jade Falcon, I claim Odessa and Gabriel for Clan Jade Falcon.”  Jana Pryde said from the command deck of the Mississippi-class Turkina’s Might as the Battleships weapons tore into the the LCS Typhoon from the otherside of the Typhoon the Patriot-class Ironhold Remembered also attacked the Battle-cruiser.  “All ground forces head to the planet.  Space assault forces head for the Ruins and seize the facility along with the ships there.”  She commanded broadcasting the message to the two WarShips and their DropShips.

---------------

“HOW COULD WE HAVE MISSED THIS?”  Victor nearly screamed in anger as his body fought against the increased gravity forces as the DropShips continued to accelerate towards the jump point.  Since the Falcons had abandoned Donegal and were now burning towards them Victor had ordered their combined forces to reverse course heading for the zenith jump point “the Jade Falcons must have been massing for this strike.”

“Lyran Intelligence believed that these were reinforcements for Donegal” Victor Focht’s hologram replied.

“What about our own intelligence?”

“There were clearly failings in…”

“FAILINGS!”  Victor shouted interrupting the man instantly seeing the abashed look on the younger man’s face.  “With respect Commanding-General you command the SLDF and that includes regular army, special operations, naval forces and intelligence the buck stops with you.”  He said calming down as he spoke seeing Focht taking in the criticism Victor had been slightly harsh but this situation was not what they needed.  “Now we need to make a contingency plan” he said “we have a seven-day lead on the Falcons we need to communicate with Tharkad and have them direct their reinforcements to Odessa.”

“We could jump out at the pirate point the JumpShips could return.”  Focht suggested

“Negative” Victor said cutting the younger man off again “to do that we would need to begin deacceleration now that would allow the Falcons to overrun us while we charged our drives.  If we run to the Jump point, then they also need to slow down giving us time to recharge our engines and escape.  We do not need to fight over this system we need to pick our battles wisely.”  He said feeling like he was giving Focht a lecture suppressing a smile thinking of all the times that his father Anastasius had lectured him during the Clan War.  “Direct Wasp to Odessa as well, we are going to break the Falcons there.”

Defence Alert
Capellan March, Federated Suns
20th December 3110

“People of the Capellan March, I am Duchess Kym Hasek, and it is my duty today to inform you that the Defence Alert Level in the Capellan March has been raised to Defence Level 4.”  She said looking into the camera “this follows a series of peaceful protests across our realm that have turned violent.  We believe that these protests were influenced by external factors and the Department of Military Intelligence looking for reports if you believe that anything is out of the ordinary or a threat to the realm.”

She said looking at the camera “our realm is safer if we all watch out for threats towards it.  Until further notice any large gathering of civilians will be monitored by an AFFS presence as well as local police and security authorities we will ensure the security of all of our civilians.”

Victor Davion’s quarters, FSDS Davion’s Heart
Pirate Point, Donegal
Donegal Province, Lyran Commonwealth
23rd December 3110

In the week that it took Victor Steiner-Davion to make it to the jump point the two Jade Falcon WarShips had significantly closed on the Inner Sphere formation to the point that it would be close for them to escape without a conflict.  The door for Victor’s quarters rang as Victor heard alarms through the ship signalling that the Black Prince was planning to use its transit drive.  Victor made his way to the door to find Admiral Kristos Leroux standing waiting for him “Admiral?”

“Sire, the Falcons have increased their speed and will be here before we are able to jump.  We must delay them.”

“The Falcons will not be able to stop in time for the jump point.”  Victor said thinking through the actions of the Clan.

“No, they will not” Leroux agreed “sire, the DropShips carrying the McKinnon’s Raiders and the Wild Geese are being prepared to detach from their collars and await JumpShip retrieval.”

“What?” Victor demanded he did not like the sound of what Leroux was saying.

“It is an old tradition, sire, the WarShip remains behind to cover the retreat.  Black Prince has the capabilities to hold off those ships.”

“Not alone!”  Victor snapped he didn’t like the plan at all “no Admiral I will not allow you to sacrifice this Battleship and her crew so far from home, you may be able to damage those ships but they will surely destroy the Black Prince.”  He said pausing thinking things through; there was only one other option. “Now with the Adam Davion and Lucian Davion in support you would have more chance of survival correct?”  Leroux nodded “then I release both to support your operations.”

“Sire, you cannot go to Odessa without WarShip support”

“I will not be the Wasp and her support will be on the border within a few days.  I am not rushing into another Falcon trick.”  He said looking back into the room at his wife “give them hell Admiral.”

---------------

The next day JumpShips began to escape the system carrying the Federated Suns and SLDF ground forces clear of the system.  On board one of the Lyran Commonwealth Monolith-class JumpShips which had been sent to collect them Victor Steiner-Davion stood like a statue watching the holotank as the WarShip icons closed to engagement range.

“Herr Steiner-Davion, we must leave this system” the ship’s master said approaching from the side.  He was young perhaps in his early thirties his tone was polite but lacked the respect due someone of Victor’s Steiner heritage.  Given his history with the Lyran Commonwealth Victor would not hold it against him.

“Negative Kaptin Kerner, those are my people out there I will do them the justice of seeing them engage in our defence.”  He said he saw the young man’s reaction to his words.  “I am sorry Kaptin Kerner while I grew up in this nation and served on many of its worlds I gave up the right to call your people my own a long time ago.”  He said looking back at the screens “the men and women on board those ships grew up when I was First Prince I am connected to them and will be until my last breath.”

“Yes, sire” Kerner said changing his tone towards Victor “the past is the past and it cannot be changed even if that is what we desired.”

“One thing humanity has not conquered” he said as the icons continued to close “time.”

---------------

“We will take them down the port side” Leroux said from his command chair watching the screens “have the Adam remain in our wake they are to follow on our hits that will allow them to hit harder for their size.”  He said “Lucian is to manoeuvre as they see fit and continue the barrage of missiles.  We need to tax their heat dispensation systems.”  He said as the first extreme range shots were exchanged mostly capital missiles but also some laser hits from both sides Leroux watched as the smallest of his ships the Adam Davion slid behind the Black Prince while the Lucian Davion II accelerated ahead, the Avalon II had the armour to take a couple of hits before having its combat capabilities degraded.
Ahead of the Federated Suns WarShips the two Jade Falcon vessels also manoeuvred with the smaller Nightlord-class Battleship moving ahead of the larger Mississippi-class the two ships moving to maintain their lock on the Lucian Davion II.  “All hands get ready for some chop” Leroux warned “communications make sure our C3 net is up, assault DropShips and aerospace fighters hold position and get ready.”  He said as another barrage was exchanged between the two sides this time the Black Prince’s heavy naval gauss rifles and forward particle cannons were added to the mix of fire from the Federated Suns WarShips.  There was a reason that the Mercury-class was feared and now it was displayed as its weapons guided by the sensor data of the Lucian Davion ripped across the front of the Nightlord causing heavy damage even as the WarShip’s own weapons and those of the Mississippi behind opened fire on the Lucian Davion, the Jade Falcons had done the same as the Federated Suns vessels and concentrated on one vessel.  As capital missiles from the Lucian Davion and Adam Davion joined the Black Prince’s fire the return fire from the two Battleships blew through the Lucian Davion’s port side breaching the Avalon’s armour.

“Lucian’s hull is breached, but emergency bulkheads have closed, no news on casualties.”

“Have her break formation turn to starboard and clear the path we will take the hits.”  Leroux commanded the concentrated fire from the two Battleships had been too much for the Cruiser. “Message to Adam Davion they need to cover Lucian’s damaged arc both ships are to continue missile bombardment of Nightord.”  He said a moment later the Avalon II slipped out of formation even as the Mississippi fired on her again hitting the vessel’s port side again this time causing heavy damage midway along the vessel’s hull as the ship tried to clear the area the Congress II Adam Davion accelerating to join the wounded ship.  “Status on the Nightlord?”

“Operational but no longer firing, possible fire control damage.”  The sensor officer reported together the two Battleships would rip open the Black Prince, if the missiles from the Black Prince’s support ships had weakened them enough to take them out of the fight they might have a chance.

“Let’s make them pay for that damage concentrate our fire on the Nightlord, defensive measures against the Mississippi, release all aerospace squadrons to strike missions on the Mississippi.”  He commanded the Air Boss who looked surprised “we can take a couple of strafing runs if the Falcons are brave enough.”  He said around the Black Prince aerospace fighters accelerated towards the mighty Jade Falcon Battleship as the Mercury’s guns continued to pound the Nightlord into scrap.  The display was a very clear message to the Jade Falcons and anyone else who may be watching to compete against a vessel like the Mercury you needed to spend as much time on defences as on firepower.  The Battleship’s fire seemed to intensify as it closed on the Nightlord which rotated as it closed on the Black Prince turning onto it’s back as the Black Prince’s fire continued to damage the vessel hatches on the underside of the ship opened releasing its cargo of Elementals and ProtoMechs to attack the Mercury even as the other Jade Falcon Battleship continued to pound the Federated Suns capital vessel.

“All crew prepare to repel boarders.”  Leroux transmitted throughout the ship “point defence, thin them out.”  He ordered moments later seeing that the vessel’s conventional autocannons and lasers were already acting cutting down several of the incoming Falcons.  “Weapon control main guns on the Mississippi make them count.”  He commanded as the second Jade Falcon WarShip came into view “Adam and Lucian to continue to fall back we’ve delayed them enough both vessels are to continue to trade fire with the Nightlord.”  He said as the damaged Nightlord regained some weapon control and engaged the Adam Davion ripping the smaller Congress II almost in half as the Nightlord’s weapons tore through the armour and into the ship’s superstructure Leroux was surprised to see the Congress return fire on the larger ship despite the damage it had taken.  “Stavag” Leroux cursed watching the battle unfold as much as he concentrated on the second Battleship.  Between them the two ships had enough capital missiles, autocannons and lasers to stop the damaged Nightlord but the bigger ship could break either of them with the weapons it had left.

“BOARDERS ON HULL, BOARDERS ON HULL, BOARDERS ON HULL.”  The automated warning system activated as sensors detected battle armour and ProtoMechs landing on the hull.

“SHUT THAT DAMNED THING OFF!”  Leroux shouted as more fire from the Mississippi slammed into the Black Prince.  “Helm maintain course and rotate the hull to starboard, full rotation, weapons control pass to all stations prepare for immediate rotation!  Air Boss, our fighters need to do more against that damned Battleship I want her hull breached!”  He commanded as the massive Mercury-class Battleship began to roll along its axis the ship’s weapons targeting the Mississippi as the ship turned.  The sudden movement of the Black Prince had the same effect as a BattleMech dropping to its knees when boarded by Elementals during combat the rapid movement making some of the Elementals and ProtoMechs lose their footing on the hull falling into space.

As the Mercury rotated in space the Mississippi slid past the ship while continuing to be buzzed by aerospace fighters.  “Sir, aerospace squadron commanders reporting they are approaching bingo fuel, the Mississippi is moving out of their engagement ranges.”

“Recall fighters.  Helm end rotation, bring us about and begin deceleration.  Forward weapons continue to engage primary target.”  He said looking at the holotank seeing that Lord Victor Steiner-Davion’s Monolith still remained in system.  “Communications send message to the First Prince” he said smiling as he used Victor’s old title, the one so many members of the crew still used to describe him. “Inform him we did what we could and will continue to engage but he needs to leave now” he commanded.

In space the FSS Black Prince turned in space flipping end over end its main engines engaging nearly as soon as the rotation was complete beginning to counter the ship’s momentum as aerospace fighters retreated to their mothership.  The Black Prince’s forward weapons continued to target the Mississippi as it began its own rotation to decelerate before the jump point the Battleship’s guns were not on the Black Prince however instead the Jade Falcon vessel targeted and finished off the Adam Davion which had struggled to retreat any further since the Nightlord opened fire on the vessel.  “Have Lucian cease fire and take survivors from Adam” Leroux said watching as the Lucian Davion continued to engage the two Jade Falcon Battleships causing yet more damage to both with their forward capital missile batteries it took a lot to destroy a Battleship.  At the jump point the Monolith which carried Victor Steiner-Davion finally left the system.  “Broadcast to all Falcon troops on board it is time for them to surrender this battle is over.”

The Elementals and ProtoMechs which had boarded the Black Prince continued to fight on for several hours after Kristos Leroux’s command with each of them agreeing to turn over their weapons and become bondsmen to the Federated Suns.  As a further blow to the Jade Falcons two days later on the Christmas Day the Nightlord-class Battleship Emerald Talon attempted to jump from the system only for its KF Drive to fail and shut down stranding the vessel in the Donegal system.  With the FSS Black Prince and FSS Lucian Davion II closing on the vessel and the Mississippi already jumping away and the vessel facing insurmountable odds the crew of the Nightlord had no choice but to surrender to Lyran authorities.  As Isorla from the battle the Federated Suns WarShips claimed all of the Emerald Talon’s remaining aerospace fighters and an Ordun-class DropShip filled with salvaged parts taken from the battlefields of Donegal several members of the Emerald Talon’s crew and aerospace pilots demanded to be taken as bondsmen to the Federated Suns as it was the AFFS and not the Lyrans who had defeated them in battle.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #905 on: 07 November 2017, 19:03:22 »
Attached the WarShip and Unit listings - a special thanks to Vition2 who helped clean up the DCMS and Snow Raven lists

And a link to the map
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?topic=1092.30#lastPost

Please enjoy
« Last Edit: 07 November 2017, 19:11:38 by Dragon Cat »

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #906 on: 08 November 2017, 03:45:38 »
Great updates :) And thanks for updating the maps and warships! :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #907 on: 08 November 2017, 14:26:26 »
Yes, great updates.  Bad year for warships, with nearly 20 biting it.  ;D

Also updated my version of the map, link in my sig.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #908 on: 09 November 2017, 22:42:21 »
Vition2 your map is awesome seriously I love them!

Into 3111 again this update is pretty massive in this case because of James Tanaga and Vition2.  DOC_Agren I hope you like what I've done with your unit Korbin's Kommandos in this opening fiction.  Vition2 I hope you like what I did with your last bit on New Samarkand.

Coventry Spaceport, Port St William
Coventry, Coventry Province
Lyran Commonwealth
3rd January 3111

Stepping from the damaged DropShip Hammerfall Colonel Burt Korbin and his son Lt Colonel Hermann Korbin walked out onto the busy tarmac of Coventry’s primary spaceport.  “It’s nice to be back on Commonwealth soil” the elder Korbin said glancing at his son.

“It would have been nicer to return in victory instead of defeat.”

“We were not defeated, son, we were out maneuverer Clan Fire Mandrill had the support and the firepower to steamroll us at anytime.  As far as the Clans are concerned we are dezgra in their eyes but they let us go there’s something to be happy with.”  He pointed out as a pair of armoured limousines drove up.

“I don’t like sucking up to the Bradfords.”

“Neither do I” Burt said as the limo’s doors opened “but Hammerfall won’t go much further we need assistance in giving her a full overhaul or replacing her and there’s only one family that would support us without trying to take control over the Kommandos that’s the Bradfords.”  He said climbing into the limo his son loitering at the door “look I know it isn’t going to be easy to see her again but we don’t have a choice now get in the limo.”

----------------------------

The drive from the spaceport to the Bradford’s Mansion was a short one.  The city of Port St. William was a busy one with multiple companies working for the city, for Coventry and the Bradford family but it was still a beautiful world with most of the factories underground or non-polluting.  The Bradford Family Estate was on the outskirts of Port St. William and while small it was surrounded by granite stone walls and guarded by members of the First Coventry Cuirassiers the limo pulled up to the front of the Bradford residence.

Burt and Hermann Korbin stepped out of the limo and were met by one of the Bradford family’s staff and brought through and into the main meeting room there stood Duke Thomas Bradford the head of the Bradford family and the Duke of Coventry.  Beside him stood his oldest surviving daughter Duchess Alessandra Bradford who smiled when she saw Hermann.  “Welcome back to Coventry, Colonel Korbin.”

“Thank you, Duke Bradford” the elder Korbin said shaking Bradford’s hand.

“I hear that you have agreed to sign a new contract with the Lyran Commonwealth but have asked for your first assignment to be deferred without pay?”

“That’s correct” Burt Korbin said glancing at his son.

“Duke Bradford the Kommanndos took heavy damage fighting against the pirate forces that have helped reform the Cirincus Federation and we would like some revenge.”  Hermann said looking between both of them.  “Our Fortress was badly damaged several times during our time in the Erdvynn Province the ship is space worthy but it isn’t ready for operations.”  He said “we have some money laid aside and some clan technology to trade.”

“You should be able to afford any ship on the market” Bradford suggested.

“We would like to purchase a Fesnyng” Hermann said naming one of the Lyran Commonwealth's newest type of DropShip.

“Those are not for sale” Alessandra said immediately and quite harshly.

“But a well-placed word from the leaders of a Provincial Capital can go a long way.”  Korbin said looking at his old friend “we can still help defend the Commonwealth Thomas we just need a push in the right direction.”

“I think there is something I can do for you come with me, Colonel, we can discuss this further elsewhere and leave these two to become reacquainted.”  He said glancing at Alessandra and Hermann.  The two older men slowly made their way out of the room.

“Your father seems to be doing well even if he is leaning on my father for support again” Alessandra said moving across the room to pour them both a drink.  He watched her move she had brunette hair and the blue knee length dress she wore was tight enough to be flattering but also functional.

“They are old friends and we will pay for the DropShip and anything else we buy.  The fighting in Erdvynn took its toll” Hermann admitted looking at the door that their fathers had left through “we lost some good people and all the salvage we’ve taken in the world won’t replace them.”

“You seem to have matured yourself” she said returning with the glasses filled with what smelled like Coventry Scotch Hermann took one of the glasses and took a sip it was strong but sweet.  “Ready for a command Colonel?”  She asked wondering if he could be swayed from the mercenary command.

“My father is the Kommandos commander.  I will command when the time is right.”  He said briskly making it clear that he was a mercenary warrior and was not interested in another job.

“My father can get you the DropShip you desire and probably some cut price BattleMechs to make up for your losses.”  She said smirking knowing that he would like the answer “but I might have to convince him to delay his decision for personal reasons.”  She said stepping closer to him “if I could keep you close I would.”  She admitted “it’s been too long Hermann” she said reaching out to touch his face which he leaned into but remained apart from her.  “Just remember you have somewhere to return to.”

-------------------

As the Kommandos looked to rearmed and ready for a fight elsewhere within the Lyran Commonwealth Kathy Parks sighed as she leaned her old body deep into the comfy chair. She spent the past two hours arguing with the Archon on the ongoing situation regarding the Southwest Covenant.

She shook her head, for the Archon had ordered her to retake the worlds at first. She knew it was but politics, but it rankled her to having to go through the loop of refusing her old friend. Once that was out of the way, the real argument began in earnest.

Simply put, the Archon was beyond angry at for three primary things. First, Kathy had ordered for the remaining elements of the Third, Seventh, and Sixteenth Lyran Regulars to be disbanded. Their personnel and equipment were to form four new Light Combat Teams, forming the Buena Guards Brigade. 

Kathy well understood the Archon’s displeasure, but shrugged it off. She needed to reign in control over the remaining Lyran units within the Archonette and could not afford to go through further political and bureaucratic nonsense just to get what she needed. It would be months before they were reorganized and combat ready but it was a start.

Secondly, the Archon and the Estates General were both beyond furious she had acknowledged the Southwest Covenant Worlds. In doing so, she had successfully negotiated to get Lyran prisoners and their dependents out of the Southwest Covenant. If the Archon and the Estates General believed that made them weak, then that was what they could believe. What mattered to her was the Covenant could not use them as hostages and further allowed her and the Archonette a further LCT of trained personnel, though equipment was short, as the Covenant had kept the equipment at Poulsbo and other worlds. She was fine with that. In January the SLDF would began transferring them back into the Archonette.
The last was an agreement Kathy had signed with Rim Motors for the building of aerospace and DropShip factories at Buena. She shook her head, but understood the position the Lyran Archon held on the subject. The much younger woman, her nominal leader, was very much afraid the Buena Archonette would become another Isle of Skye or worse form its own state as Cirincus and the Southwest Covenant had further destabilizing the region.

She had rebutted the move was necessary. When Jessica argued that it was not and she was countermanding the agreement to have Lockheed-CBM and Tharkad Aerospace Group get the contract, the elderly Archonette reminded the Archon she, not Jessica, ruled the Archonette.

What followed next was a disaster as far as their friendship went, what with the Archon reminding Kathy her position was but temporary. That threat Kathy could not let go, for if she had done so, she would be seen as weak-willed to the Archon, something she knew the Estates General would not allow. So she had rebutted her old friend, reminding her the Estates General had taken the Archonette out from under her nose, and that she should concentrate on the Clans and the survival of their realm.

She shook her head. She hoped Jessica would take to heart her parting words. “Stop playing politics and actually use your resources! You got the First Fesnyng and the Mountain Wolves you can still use!” She well knew why the Archon refused to use the First Fesnyng and the Wolves however. The First Fesnyng and Kelly Varnay Jessica had ordered to stay at York or be branded traitors, not wanting them anywhere near her uncle publically having a Varnay anywhere near Victor Steiner-Davion would be political supporters.  Although far removed from Lyran politics Victor was still well liked and respected by many. As for the Mountain Wolves, ever since the majority had declared for Clan Wolf and re-joined Clan Society proper, the two lone clusters the Clan had were not trusted by the Estates General.

Now was not the time to play politics, she well knew. And she could only hope the Archon would follow the lead Kathy had quickly set here in the Buena Archonette.

Raven Communications Center, Nexus Ri
Shared World, Border World
Draconis Combine/Raven Alliance (others)
5th January 3111

“Star Colonel, we are receiving a transmission from the Combine,” the comms tech spoke to Errol Cole, Star Colonel of the 5th Raven Chasseurs cluster, the current Star Colonel on duty.

“Put them through”

“Star Colonel, this is Tai-Sho Sasakawa of the Draconis Combine’s Second Genyosha regiment.  As per the agreement with the Raven Alliance, we offer a trial against the rights of ownership of the worlds of the Kesai thumb.  See the attached file for the details.”  Errol Cole looked over the data.

“The Kesai thumb was not part of the agreement, your demand for trial is impudent and unfounded!” Cole rose, slamming his fist on the desk in front of him emphasizing the last words.

“The agreement states ‘Trials will occur over all conflicted worlds,’ though the worlds of the Kesai thumb have been in Raven Alliance hands for more than two decades, the Combine never relinquished their claim to the worlds, and they are thus acceptable targets for trials.  The Combine accepts that this may have been unexpected and have included mitigating provisions included in the details of the trials.”  Bryant remains stoic in the face of Cole’s ire.  “Provide us with the trial locations and forces to be included within twenty-four hours.”

As the Star Colonel sat down to read the documents sent by the Combine he mused, “The Genyosha, they were not supposed to be here.”  The specifics of the trials showed some interesting provision, they would trial for five systems: Kesai IV, Delacruz, Groveld III, Niles, and Alegro, but there would be a series of secondary trials fought with low powered weapons, the number of trials depending on the size and strength of the defending forces.  If the defenders won every trial the Combine claim to the world would be forfeit, allowing it to remain the the Raven Alliance’s hands, given the number of trials involved for each world, that was a pretty minimal possibility though.  Cole contacted the other two Star Colonels on planet, those of the First Raven Battle and Fifth Raven Chasseurs, bidding would begin immediately.

A couple days later, the trials take place nearly simultaneously in various trial locations around the planet.  Considering they were arrayed against one of the most elite of Combine formations, the Ravens put up a strong showing, regardless of the actual results, which were anything but in the Ravens favour.  In only a single trial the Ravens manage to barely eke out a victory, and primarily due to a combination of location and proper forces for the terrain, giving victory laurels to the First Raven Battle cluster and keeping Niles in the hands of the Ravens.  The results are quickly transmitted to the affected planets.

Less than a week later the planned battles begin on Alegro, Kesai IV, Delacruz and Groveld III where Combine and Alliance troops meet in controlled battles.  Two units are assigned to each of Kesai IV and Delacruz where the Raven forces include Beta Galaxy’s Fourteenth Raven Battle and the Ninth Raven Wing clusters, while only a single unit is sent each to Alegro and Groveld III the only opposing forces being the native and Alliance militias.  On Kesai IV, Delacruz, and Groveld III the Ravens and Combine trade victories back and forth, giving the Combine units a warm up before they move towards the Federated Suns border.  The militia unit on Alegro pulls off a surprise, having a couple of old Raven warriors who chose the ‘oblivion’ of a militia unit rather than Solahma manage to surprise their opponents on multiple occasions, and defeat them in every trial.  Alegro stays within the Raven Alliance, and the success of ‘washed up old warriors’ forces the Raven Alliance to look at their culture once again.

Main Battle site, Outskirts New Bealton
Odessa, Donegal Province
Lyran Commonwealth
7th January 3111

After watching the WarShips that had been sent to defend him move against the Falcons in the Donegal system Victor Steiner-Davion had decided that he would not sit on the side-lines when they finally reached Odessa.  Now he sat in Prometheus’ cockpit surrounded by warriors of the McKinnon’s Raiders Regiment as they stalked the Jade Falcons who were steadily retreating from battle.

The entire situation on Odessa had confused Victor when his combined force had arrived in system the two Jade Falcon WarShips were near the Gabriel Facility and were surrounded by assault DropShips and almost a galaxy’s worth of aerospace fighters.  The combined Inner Sphere task force of Star League, Lyran Commonwealth and Draconis Combine WarShips remained near Odessa providing complete aerial dominance which made the Falcon’s life even harder.  Why the Falcons had pushed to Odessa after retreating from Donegal Victor did not really know but now their forces were being pushed to breaking point by the Inner Sphere ground forces which had been reinforced by the survivors of the First Commonwealth Guards and the SLDF’s Third Special Operations Group who the Jade Falcons had failed to finish off.
“Jade Falcon commander this is Commander Victor Steiner-Davion surrender your forces before you are completely destroyed.”  He said marching his assault OmniMech towards the Jade Falcons.

“The little prince himself” a voice almost snarled over the comms in response.  “I will not surrender my force to you.”  She said from the Falcon line a single Shirke BattleMech stepped clear of the main Falcon lines “I challenge you to single combat Commander.”

“And why would I accept your challenge Clan Commander?  Our forces heavily outgun your own.”

“Because I am Khan Jana Pryde leader of the Jade Falcons and if you defeat me little prince you will not only capture my forces but Jade Falcon offensive operations against the Lyran Commonwealth will end.”  She replied

“And if you are victorious?”  He asked knowing there would be a price.

“Other than the satisfaction of being the one who killed the little prince?”  She asked taunting him he scanned her BattleMech as she spoke it was five tons lighter and carried less firepower than his OmniMech and but it was far more manoeuvrable.  “You let my Falcons leave this world with what we have won and unmolested and you leave this border.”

“I accept” he said stepping Prometheus clear of the allied line.  On his right he noticed two communications lines were active he reached down and toggled both switches “yes, gentlemen” he said addressing Colonel Canin McKinnion and Commanding-General Victor Focht.

“Sire, I was sent to protect you I can’t do this if you volunteer to engage what could be the most dangerous Falcon on this planet.”  On his sensors he saw McKinnon’s Warhawk angling towards him fro the right-hand side.

“Victor, you were sent to advise and assist SLDF operations if anyone should be fighting this battle it should be me.”  Focht said his own Avatar OmniMech closing on his position.  “We should overwhelm them.”

“Negative both of you listen I have her attention and I have the BattleMech to finish her off with.  She has challenged me and I have accepted substituting someone else will break the rules of the Trial, the Clanners will declare it void regardless of our victory.”  He said moving Prometheus another step forward “I’m doing this just make sure if she is victorious we stick with this agreement breaking it will bring hell from all of the Clans.”

-------------

Victor moved Prometheus to the side engaging with his pair of large lasers one went wide while the other burned down the side of enemy Shirke.  In response the great “BirdMech” leapt into the air its wings opening as the assault Mech took to the air triggering both of its own large lasers and its large arm mounted HAG Rifle.  Both lasers found their mark on Prometheus’ left leg while the HAG peppered Victor’s Mech’s torso.

“So you can shoot” Victor said halting his eastward course and turning back west towards his target.  As he closed all three pulse lasers lit up showing they were in range and Victor sent a green volley of pulse laser fire into the Shirke as it came into land the lasers burning across the enemy Mech’s torso.  The Shirke landed gracefully as if it had not just lost almost two tons of armour and again engaged with its lasers and HAG causing yet more damage to Prometheus’ left leg and torso.  Victor looked at the armour even with the hits the Dire Wolf had taken it could weather several more before an armour breach.  With his run taking him ever closer to the Shirke soon his autocannon would come into play and it would be game over for the Jade Falcon Khan.  He continued to fire triggering his pulse lasers as the Shirke engaged with lasers while continuing to close.

With the range closing Victor let loose with his ultra autocannon blasting a great hole in the left torso of the Shirke ripping a large laser and part of the Jade Falcon Mech’s over shoulder wing from the chassis.  The Shirke returned fire with its remaining laser and short range missile launcher Victor smirked pulling the trigger on his autocannon again this time the autocannon sounded like it got about half way through its firing cycle before.

CHINK, CHINK, CHINK, as metal ground against metal and the autocannon jammed.

“NO! NO! NO!”  He shouted instinctively pulling the firing triggers with his left hand firing his SRMs and pulse lasers at the Falcon Mech as his right hand tried to recycle the autocannon and clear the jam his OmniMech was slammed by another laser blast and the Shirke’s HAG as the Falcon Khan continued to fire before the BattleMech’s right hand slammed into Prometheus scouring over the  top of the OmniMech ripping the SRM system from it’s housing Victor felt like his Mech was being ripped apart piece-by-piece.  He triggered both of his large lasers again as he tried to clear the jammed autocannon kicking out with his Mech’s leg shattering the left knee of Shirke.

The Falcon BattleMech twisted slamming the the HAG barrel into Victor’s OmniMech at the last moment Victor twisted his Mech away from the incoming barrel as Khan Jana Pryde pulled the trigger on the weapon sending concentrated shots into the Prometheus’ hull.  Victor felt the engine shielding being damaged and the cockpit becoming a furnace before gyro housing was shaken by sustained hits he felt Prometheus shaking and begin to go limp.  “EJECTING!”  Victor shouted pulling the rip cords blowing his OmniMech’s cockpit open and sending his command chair into the air away from the dying Dire Wolf.

Soaring through the air he felt the air superheat as the Falcon Khan fired her large laser into the air trying to catch his ejection chair with her fire with his back turned to the BattleMech below Victor did not see what happened next.  On the ground both McKinnon’s Warhawk and Focht’s Avatar both fired on the Falcon Shirke the Falcon Khan screamed into the communications system as she twisted her BattleMech to face the two enemy Mechs “YOU DARE BREAK THIS HONOUR DUEL!”  She snarled her BattleMech was in no condition to attack them with the smashed remains of her HAG still imbedded in the hull of the downed Dire Wolf at her feet.

“There is no honour in targeting a downed warrior” Victor Focht said speaking before Canin McKinnon could speak “we will honour the agreement that you made today with Victor, you may leave this world with your spoils of war.”

“We shall return” she said angrily looking again to the sky seeing Victor’s command chair coming down behind SLDF lines.  Unseen by the Jade Falcon Khan the command chair came down heavily slamming into a tree knocking Victor Steiner-Davion unconscious with several branches penetrating his coolant suit.

Nova Cat Hall, Oathmaster’s Office
Great Hall of the Clans, City of Andrey,
Tukayyid, Independent Clan Territory
10th January 3111

Entering the Oathmaster’s office from different doors Khan Canin Rosse and saKhan Katrine Devalis stood opposite each other for several moments in silence both wore the black jumpsuit of Clan Nova Cat but Katrine had added a fur cape to her uniform while Canin remained wearing the traditional uniform.

“Khan Rosse” Katrine said breaking the deadlock

“saKhan Devalis” the elder Khan repled equally courtly.

“Enough of this you both hate each other all of the Clans know that.”  Oathmaster Klick Lenardon the huge Elemental bred warrior said stepping out from behind his desk standing between them.  “Our Clan is one of the most successful we hold two sets of territory comfortably holding off two of the Succession States, we have good trade with all the Clans, we build all of our own weapons and we have virtually no trouble from our civilian population.  We should be leading the Clans!”  He snapped glancing between the two Khans “instead because you do not like her methods and you do not like his we are fighting as a split Clan instead of a single Clan.”

“There has been good combat opportunities against the Combine to give up the territory we hold there would be foolish.”

“And to begin a war with what is perhaps the most powerful of all the Inner Sphere states would be equally foolish” Canin Rosse said agreeing with his saKhan turning on the Oathmaster “you are correct we are powerful but not powerful enough to break the Federated Suns, perhaps you have spent too much time on Tukayyid.”

“Neg, I have not” Lenardon said looking his Khan in the face “our Clan cannot continue the path it is going we are becoming two Clans not one.”

“We transfer troops between the OZ and Den” Devalis said attempting to defend their current path.

“Not enough” Rosse stated looking her in the face “there are certain units that do not return home and have begun to recruit local forces to their units.”

“They have taken bondsmen…”

“Who have never stepped food in the Den” he said cutting her off “tradition would state that those warriors should return home for their induction into our Clan to understand what being a Nova Cat is about.”

“Tradition does not win wars.  Your tradition has been to try and keep our Clan on the Warden path to live alongside the Federated Suns in peace while mine has been to take the fight to the Combine.  Each year we take another step forward against them.  We are making more progress than even the Ravens are.”

“Because the Ravens have adopted our strategy with the Combine!”  Rosse snapped again “if the Combine and Ravens ever finish their conflict and the Federated Suns stops its conflict against the Draconis Combine our people will suffer.”

“But as it stands there does not look like there is much chance of that happening.”  Devalis state even this month we have seen the Combine take four Raven worlds and assault five different Federated Suns systems.  There back is turned my people face inexperienced warriors as we drive deep into the Combine worlds fall beneath out guns.”

“But for how long?”

“Who cares we are the Clans we take victories and losses as they come, we were created to fight.”

“Not recklessly”

“You old fool our Clan will stagnate under your command!  I should have killed you when I had the chance.”

“But you could not make the hard choice.”

“I will make it now” she snapped back.

“NEG, YOU WILL NOT!”  Lenardon finally snapped looking at the two of them.  “I called you both here because I wished for us to meditate on the choices we have made and to broker peace between our leadership but now I see that between you you have broken our Clan.  There is only one course of action…” he began as Katrine Devalis spoke once more.

“Aff, I agree, I declare a Trial of…”

“Neg, no trials” Lenardon said cutting off Devalis before she could say another word “we will call a Grand Council Meeting and call for the creation of a new Clan.”  He said seeing Devalis joy at his suggestion while Canin Rosse looked horrified.

“That is not your decision to make Oathmaster.”

“The well-being of our Clan is my choice to make.”  He said turning towards Canin Rosse “Khan Rosse your steady leadership had brought out Clan to the place it now is but even you must see that the drain Katrine Devalis operations puts on the Nova Cat Clan could be spent elsewhere.  You have already said that there are things that we could not stop the Federated Suns.  Without the drain of the raids against the Draconis Combine we could concentrate our resources on them.”

“Perhaps take Galaxies Theta and Iota off the drawing board and into reality.”  Katrine Devalis suggested Rosse shot her a glance and she shrugged her shoulders “I see the reports from the Den I know you have stockpiled enough munitions to create at least one more Galaxy possibly two.  Our Clan has not seen the operations the others have recently you have only held off forming them because warriors come to my Occupation Zone instead of remaining in the Den.”  She said Rosse nodded the attacks on the Draconis Combine were a drain on his Clan’s resources but it was also a release, a far more effective one than the small trials his main forces took against the Federated Suns.

“You do know that the other Clans could oppose this?”  Rosse pointed out “the Ravens are close enough that they could even cast you as Dezgra and declare a Trial of Absorbtion.”

“The great Khan Canin Rosse will not let that happen” Katrine Devalis said “for all our differences those are still your people.  You will fght for them despite our desire to rule ourselves.”

“What makes you so sure saKhan Devalis?”

“You are an honourable man” she said smiling “and you believe in the Clans the concept of all of the Clans.  You believe in Kerensky’s teachings that all of the Clans together make our society work not just a single powerful Clan.”

“Together we could make a powerful Clan.”

“No, Canin, our ways are too different.  I wish to see the Inner Sphere burn but you are content to live alongside them.  The three galaxies that follow me agree it is why you sent me the warriors that you have and it is why you will release any other warrior who wishes to join us because we desire something different than you do.”

“The Combine…”

“Will die a slow lingering death and I will watch it every step of the way from the head of my Clan.”  Katrine Devalis said smiling “I have foreseen it the Dragon will die.”  She said looking at the Oathmaster with such conviction that Klick Lenardon could not discount that she had experienced a vision.  “We shall call for a Grand Council meeting and our futures will be decided.”

“It could take some time” Lenardon noted “for this we must summon all of the Khans they cannot simply attend by HPG they must see the passion and desire in you, both of you, for this to work.”

“I do not agree with this course of action Katrine Devalis but what the Oathmaster says is true there is a divide within our Clan and I will not allow it to continue.  Oathmaster make the calls for a Grand Council Meeting.” Khan Canin Rosse said turning leaving the room.

Border Conflict
Draconis Combine/Federated Suns
15th January 3111

Identifying a weak point in Federated Suns lines the Draconis Combine pushes into the worlds of Thestria, Misery, Elidere IV and Barlowe’s End destroying the Second Albion Military Cadre Regiment the Cameron’s Legion Regiment and the Dragon’s Breath mercenary units.  The Combine force had come looking for the Third Ceti Hussars RCT and their attached WarShip but both commands are missing.  Another attack against Umjiri is pushed back by elements of the Lexington Combat Group and the Second New Hessen Irregulars as the mercenary commands are trusted by the AFFS to hold this territory which is pointed at Benjamin, the capital of the Combine district of the same name.

A week after these attacks the Federated Suns launches an assault against McComb and Lima as the location of the Third Ceti Hussars RCT is revealed.  While two Combat Commands of the Ceti Hussars assaults McComb the RCT’s third Combat Command combines with the Twenty-first Illician Rangers Regiment assaults Lima quickly both systems fall to the Federated Suns.

Across the Inner Sphere the Lyran Commonwealth, SLDF and Mercenary forces combine to retake the Alma Alta and Cameron systems with Commanding-General Victor Focht building on the momentum with Victor Steiner-Davion’s conflict on Odessa began.  In both cases the Jade Falcons accept to fight honour bound Trials of Possession for the two systems and lose Alma Alta to Lyran Commonwealth forces while Commanding-General Focht leads the assault on Cameron personally with the SLS Cavalier, an Otey-class Battleship supporting the ground forces but not actually involved in the battle.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #909 on: 09 November 2017, 22:42:33 »
Quantraine
New Samarkand Military District
Draconis Combine
22nd January 3111

“The fortifications you’ve constructed here appear formidable, I suspect that Castles Brian would look upon these with envy.”  Akira Kurita spoke looking upon the walls and gun emplacements the Tenth Sword of Light had built upon and into the soil of Quantraine.

“They never would have been possible without the funding and supplies you sent us, my lord, but we still would have been hard pressed against the Ravens had they attacked on their schedule.  But we still would have held them off.”  Tai-sho Kaoru Kito assured the Coordinator.  As his pocket comms chimed.  “Excuse me, my lord... How many?... Have they transmitted anything yet?”  The Tai-sho turned for a moment, his jaw setting as he continued to speak, before turning back to the impatient Coordinator.  “Sir, come with me, multiple Raven WarShips have entered the system, our orbital defenses will not be able to hold them.”

“Get me a comm line to orbit,” with the Tai-sho taken aback, Akira spoke again, “Now!”

It took a few minutes but the Coordinator was eventually brought before a comms unit and transmitted to orbit.  “This is Coordinator Akira Kurita, I demand to know the reason for the Raven incursion into this system.”

“Coordinator Kurita, I am Galaxy Commander Ilse Guo commander of the Swift Wing Galaxy of the Snow Ravens, I am honoured to speak with you.  The incursions of the Combine over the Kesai thumb are intolerable, and the Raven Alliance has determined that the Combine is no longer capable of keeping control of Quantraine in addition to their forays into the Federated Suns.  Quantraine will henceforth be a Raven holding.  With what forces will you defend.”

“You Ravens have already attempted the trial for this system and FAILED!  You no longer have rights to this system, it is MINE!  Remove yourselves or suffer the wrath of the Dragon.”

Isle Guo glared daggers at Akira, but spoke with a calm assurance, “You yourself have signed off on incursions into Raven territory beyond the intentions of the agreement, the Alliance will not allow this to go unanswered.  We are taking this system, either through honourable trial or through the use of our WarShips, the decision is yours.”

Angrily Akira Kurita spoke, “I, myself, will control the defences of the planet, with the Tenth Sword of Light as my blade.  You will rue the day you crossed swords with the Dragon over this world.” He cut off the transmission and turned to the commander of the Tenth, “prepare the defences, I want units here, here, and here.”  He points to the nearby map of the defences, spreading out the Tenth in very aggressive positions, but also least able to take advantage of the emplaced defences.

“Sir, it is your right to command, but might I suggest someone with a more intimate knowledge of the planet?”
“The Ravens have overstepped this time, I will put them in their place and they will know the Dragon does not deign to suffer them.”

-------------------------------------------------------

The crux of the defences of Quantraine were built around a series of DropShips, intended to serve as either as last stand bunkers or to evacuate the last vestiges of the defenders.  Akira took his place in the Overlord modified for command over the planet’s defences as three clusters of the Ravens Alpha Galaxy landed on the plateau a short way outside the perimeter of the fortification’s defences.

The Raven forces quickly split into four groups, each of the First Phalanx and the First Battle Cluster splitting into two prongs of the attack and the entire First ProtoMech being held in reserve.  Three of these ran into opposition immediately, with the result being a virtual stalemate between the Tenth and the Ravens, though the Ravens are burning through their supplies at a very quick pace.  The fourth managed to push deep into the fortifications, picking apart the defences from range before they can make much effect on the clan forces, and showing the weakness of the undermanned defences. 
Akira noting the overextension of the Ravens in the fourth prong and ignoring reports suggesting the unclanlike behaviour of holding back reserves collapses one of the other battalions to surround the Raven incursion, against the advice of Tai-Sho Kito.  The weakness along the lines was exactly what the Ravens were waiting for and the entirety of the First ProtoMech Cluster is thrown against the lines, breaking through the meagre remains and splitting into two groups.  One rolls up the flank of Combine forces, while the other moves onto the command DropShip itself.

Recognizing the threat to the DropShip Akira sent out a transmission in the open for all to hear: “Commander Kito, the failure of your defences, your failure against the Ravens, and your failure in my own defence marks three failures.  The Combine does not need such a poor weapon as yourselves, you are hereby cast out of the Combine Military and declared criminal within the realm.”  Akira commands his DropShip thrust into orbit joining with the remaining DCMS aerospace forces and forcing their way past picket Raven defences, fortunately the Clan’s WarShips had remained at the jump points following the Combine’s agreement to fight an honourable conflict, with the Ravens unable to interdict the Combine leader Akira Kurita is able to escape via a pirate point on a waiting JumpShip.

Upon hearing the declaration, Tai-Sho Kito offered his surrender immediately to the Ravens, who quickly take the survivors as bondsmen, seeing the potential in reinvigorating the ranks of the Ravens with seasoned veterans.  Three days later, Kaoru throws those plans into disarray as he declares a trial for the freedom of him, his troops and their equipment.  While respecting the attempt but already classing the unit as a captured warriors Galaxy Commander Guo pits him against three opponents at once heavily stacking the odds against the man intent on seeing his death but maintaining control over the rest of the survivors.  Showing skills beyond those of the First Battle Cluster warriors pitted against him Kito manages to defeat the opponents Guo agrees to release the remains of the Tenth Sword of Light from its bonds but reminds the commander that his nation has already cut him loose.

The fate of Quantraine lies in doubt as the Combine refuses to relinquish claim to the world, this results in a near constant state of conflict for the world, as it changes hands frequently rarely being controlled by one of the nations for more than a month at a time.  The area around which the Combine built up the fortifications is reduced to a wasteland as most of the battles take place in and around the area.

-------------------------------------------------------

At the same time as the battle of Quantraine begins, the First Avellar Cluster and the Corvus Keshik make landfall on Nexus Ri.  While Khan Sukhanov is not present, the use of both the Keshik and a mostly native composed Alliance cluster makes a statement on its own.  Directly targeting the Second Genyosha, they declare a trial over the most recently constructed hull of the Combine’s Yamato-class battleship.  The trial is hard fought but the combination of the intensity of the Avellar Guards and the precision of the Corvus Keshik forces the Genyosha to concede.  The results are immediately transmitted to New Samarkand.

A few days later a small fleet including a Potemkin and a number of JumpShips with associated DropShips arrive in New Samarkand to take the Raven’s prize.  With Akira Kurita currently away from communications, the naval commander of the system attempts to deny the Raven’s claims, but Hohiro Kurita tells him to stand down, that the Combine will deal honourably with the Ravens.  They turn the barely airtight and completely unarmed DCS Drogon over to the Snow Ravens without further conflict with their prize secured the Snow Ravens leave New Samarkand without further conflict.

Raven Alliance Clan Council Hall
Dante
Raven Alliance
26th January, 3111

“Bloodnamed of the Raven Alliance,” Khan Vir Sukhanov began the clan council, “Today I announce the successful end of Operation Portent.”  Cheers of support occur around the council hall, but with subdued enthusiasm, losses had been greater than expected and the Combine had taken advantage of the trial system setup on Nexus Ri.  “With the capture of a Yamato-class hull and the Susanoo in Quatre Belle, we make good our naval losses during this conflict.  We are also taking the next step in integrating the Alliance into our forces, reallocating garrison forces to our front lines.  Look to your data pads for details, but a total of seven garrison clusters are entering front line status.”

“In addition, we are working with the United Outworlders Corporation to fully upgrade their facilities to clan specifications.  While this may take most of next year, the projected output will massively increase our aerospace and BattleMech production.  And Clan medical technologies will begin spreading into the Alliance medical facilities at a faster rate.  Other industries will follow.  And the Raven will fly.”  The crows of support were stronger this time though a core of more traditional bloodhouses remain silent; in their eyes they were seeing the disappearance of their Clan and the rise of the Raven Alliance much as the Ghost Bears were now indistinguishable from the Rasalhague Dominion.

Hohiro’s Private Rooms, Imperial Palace,
Imperial City, New Samarkand
Military District of Midway, Draconis Combine
30th January, 3111

“YOU DID WHAT!”  Akira blasted through the doors into Hohiro’s private suite of rooms in the Imperial Palace.
Looking up, Hohiro looked non-plussed, “I did what was necessary for the safety of the realm, we -”

“By giving the Ravens a battleship, yeah, that’ll make us safer.”

Hohiro stood up, “We cannot fight a war against the Federated Suns while risking the Ravens stabbing us in the side, cousin.  We have enough enemies right now.”  He said he had spent the day reading reports from the Federated Suns front the other Succession state was givng as good as it got.

“No thanks to you, but I have put the Suns on their back foot, I am retaking worlds, and I will keep the Ravens at bay.  I am the DRAGON!”

Hohiro stepped forward and slapped Akira across the face, hard, then spoke in a quiet voice, “Did you learn nothing from father?  You were given all the tools needed to succeed, but you squander them.  You ignore the issues of your subjects, and decline to send support when they request it.  You took command of the Tenth Sword and denied them when your mistakes failed them.  You are showing that you care nothing for the troops, and they are beginning to waver.  The realm is holding by a thread, and you are a rusty blade sawing against it.  Get your head in order before you tear the realm apart, or it tears you apart, like your birth father.”

“HOW DARE YOU!”  Akira screamed looking at his cousin “WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE!  I AM THE DRAGON I DECIDE WHAT HAPPENS WITHIN THIS REALM!”  He continued to scream in his cousin’s face “Who are you to lay your hands on me?”

“I am the man who will save this realm”

“You are the man who will live your life in chains” Akira seethed his voice now low “GUARDS!”  He screamed immediately two troopers of the Genyosha stepped into the room “arrest Gunji-no-Kanrei Hirohito Kurita he is a traitor to the realm.”  He said looking at the two guards then back at Hirohito “you should have remembered who I am cousin.”  He said his eyes wild but his anger growing as the two guards did not move.  “Are you also traitors?  Arrest this man!”  He demanded but neither moved instead they remained ready their attention on Hirohito.

“The Coordinator has taken unwell, he needs to rest, please escort him to his quarters and keep him there.  Ensure his wife makes her way there alive and well.”  He commanded immediately the warriors moved before the surprised Coordinator could react they grabbed his arms and began to drag him out of the room.

“YOU CANNOT DO THIS HIROHITO, I AM THE DRAGON!”

“I must, the Dragon must survive” Hirohito replied as his cousin and liege lord was dragged away.  Quickly and silently supporters of Akira inside the Imperial City were eliminated by those loyal to the new Warlord of the Draconis Combine.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #910 on: 09 November 2017, 23:09:49 »
Nova Cats going down a dark street i guess. 

Properlying going to turn on one another unless Katrine Devalis is eliminated.

EDIT: Woah! Double posting of story!  Draconis Combine has new coordinator....
« Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 23:15:24 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #911 on: 10 November 2017, 01:05:59 »
Vition2 your map is awesome seriously I love them!

Into 3111 again this update is pretty massive in this case because of James Tanaga and Vition2.  DOC_Agren I hope you like what I've done with your unit Korbin's Kommandos in this opening fiction.  Vition2 I hope you like what I did with your last bit on New Samarkand.

Thanks!

And love what you did with Akira, I wasn't quite ready to take a major piece off the board on my own, but it was a thought that had run around my head a little bit.

I half thought Katrine and Canin had finally buried the hatchet towards the end of 3109, but it sounds like it caused the rift to be more prominent between the two.  I look forward to seeing what trouble they get into.  ;D

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #912 on: 10 November 2017, 02:23:11 »
The Ravens grabbing a Yamato.
I am eager to see what the Ravens do with it.

Nova Cats splitting, I wonder what evil you have planned DC. }:) O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #913 on: 10 November 2017, 08:01:21 »
I wonder if there going to be a Draconis Combine Civil War.  Even though Akira is bit crazyish, some people in power may want use him a figure head as they poke him direction they want him to go.

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #914 on: 10 November 2017, 11:32:11 »
The Ravens grabbing a Yamato.
I am eager to see what the Ravens do with it.

I actually have it statted up, but no fluff yet - but it's going to take a year or three before it gets out of the docks.  The Combine takes between 3 and 4 years to produce one, this one likely has only about a year's worth of work done on it.  Lots could happen before it actually joins the Raven touman (if it ever does).

Edit: While I won't yet post the ship, it's weapons very clearly derive from the armament of the Yamato-class.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #915 on: 10 November 2017, 16:22:45 »
I am expecting the main difference will be the extra power of some clan weapons.
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #916 on: 10 November 2017, 23:11:00 »
I'd like to take this opportunity to ask for some heavy space-based battles that insure a nice destruction of forces from both sides with no clear winner... except those nice peaceful citizens on backwoods planet that watched and wondered what the fireworks was all about.

Thank you for reading my request,
Truetanker

>:D #P
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #917 on: 11 November 2017, 00:19:05 »
What Quatre Belle wasn't good enough for you? (haha, yeah, I know a little bit lopsided, in the end, that one)

The next major story line I do might have one or two of these, depending on what DC lets me kill.  >:D

Probably not going to be for quite a while though.

James Tanaga

• Sergeant
« Reply #918 on: 11 November 2017, 00:57:07 »
Fun and interesting updates all around the universe.  :))

The expected Nova Cat/Griffon separation I feared that would never take place after an earlier Nova Cat update seems to finally be happening.

The Raven Alliance seems to finally be happening after a series of slow starts.

A likely starting punch in a Draconis Combine civil war is always fun to read.

All interesting to say the least! Need to go refill my popcorn I believe!  [drool]

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #919 on: 11 November 2017, 07:51:38 »
Oh dang, double update and the Cats are finally going their own way.  I'm not sure the other Clans will be too happy with this, but there is a precident for it and unlike the Mandrils they probably won't be too overtly hostile to them, but that depends on how Devalis conducts herself.  Her Clan, if its allowed to be formed will very much be the Junior Member to the exclusive Clan Club and if she tries throwing her weight around, then it will only make the other Clans dig their heels in and oppose her.

And I have a nasty feeling that the 'ill' Ex-Coordinator will develop a nasty case of steel poisoning, either applied to his neck or to his bowls.  This is why you have to choose your Supreme Military Commander very carefully, as it is often a road to Imperial ambition.

Great updates!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #920 on: 11 November 2017, 10:14:29 »
Now that I'm no longer messing with Akira's timeline I'm more free to speculate.  ;D

I don't think this is going to lead to a civil war, Akira was and unrepentant prick.  But he is useful as a figurehead - so while a silent death is an option I don't think it likely.  Most of the support he's going to have is going to be in places where he had direct control, namely the imperial city.  This is due to his direct control over the affairs and the immediacy of the positions.  Elsewhere more protections are possible, and completely ignoring his placements is a possibility.  Now as for higher levels of support:

Dieron District - Allowed them to lose the entire Vega Prefecture, and called it their problem, not an issue for the realm.  He has zero friends here.

Pesht District - Has allowed the Nova Cats to grow their foothold in actual Combine territory, him sending a 2 or 3 units to shore up defenses would likely have been enough to curb their expansion, another 1 or 2 on top of that could have seen them being pushed back, if not entirely out.

Benjamin District - Has allowed the Fed Suns to directly threaten Benjamin, as well as losing a number of worlds.  Dismisses the concerns of the Benjamin Warlord.

New Samarkand District - Likely the only district to have benefited from his short rule, though even there he has shown a dismissive attitude towards the military, they've seen a massive influx of troops and gains along the Fed Suns borders while the recent Raven-Combine War ended up basically a draw (objectively it's probably slightly in Raven favor, but the Combine can declare a draw due to their own gains).  The major downside here is more of them have actually seen the juvenile antics of Akira.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #921 on: 11 November 2017, 12:17:48 »
I wonder what the stone Rhinos are doing and would love to see stuff about the Rim/clan.  they are small, but they could like to know there fleet is coming along. 

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #922 on: 11 November 2017, 21:09:27 »
DOC_Agren I hope you like what I've done with your unit Korbin's Kommandos in this opening fiction.

Very interesting, but I have high hopes that they can come back around.   8)
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #923 on: 13 November 2017, 17:39:47 »
I'm glad you all enjoyed the previous update now continuing into February and more jumping around the Inner Sphere and beyond.

cawest - we'll be heading to see the Stone Spirits in a few months - the Stone Rhinos have been dead for a while but you were close.

Sceptre (Sceptre-class Strike Cruiser)
Orkney, Taurian Concordat
9th February 3111

The ‘Battle for Orkney’ had been a short one when the Sceptre had arrived in the system they had encountered the Pandora’s Wrath Mercenary Battalion who had refused Star Captain Gerry Harper’s call to surrender.  A salvo of fire from the Sceptre’s main weapons array had shattered the mercenary JumpShip and its attached DropShips consigning them to death in the cold vacuum.

The Sceptre had moved over Orkney detaching the Konstantin and the captured Leopard, Harbin, to the planet’s surface commanded by Stefan Banacek.  Within hours the local militia had been completely destroyed and the planet’s leadership had agreed to turn over the supplies that the Sceptre demanded unfortunately they had little that could be used to attempt any repairs to the Sceptre herself.

Gerry Harper was in his quarters when Stefan Banacek returned to the ship.  The MechWarrior entered the WarShip commander’s main room planting himself on a chair with a smug smile on his face.  “Why are you so happy?”  Gerry Harper asked

“Because I’ve made your day” Banacek replied producing a small digital pad which he placed on the table his casual use of contractions annoyed Harper but the man had his uses.

“Care to elaborate?”  He asked picking up the pad glancing at it and then back towards Banacek.

“On that pad is data relating to the Taurian Concordat’s shipyard in the Sterope system” he replied “including entry codes to get past the sentries and access the warehouses.”

“Impressive details” he said looking at the pad “unfortunately the Sceptre is quite hard to hide.”

“Which is why we use the Harbin to get past the sentries and infiltrate the facility.”  He suggested “your Elementals are well trained and could overwhelm any defence that the Taurians could throw up.  They take them out and blind their sensors allowing Sceptre to close and we take what we need.”

“I am sure they will have naval defences too”

“Not enough” Banacek said smirking again as Harper continued to think as a Raven warrior “unlike the Succession States and Clans the periphery nations do not have massive naval forces you can take out what you need to and use what Sceptre needs to conduct repairs.”

“They wouldn’t suspect it” Harper suggested as Banacek rose from his chair moving around behind Harper “and we could gain exactly what we need.”  He said as Banacek removed the pad from his hands and slipped down onto Harper’s lap.

“Exactly what we need” he said leaning in and kissing the Sceptre’s commander while the ship had its needs so did its crew.

Counter-offensive
Kaznejoy Prefecture, Military District of Midway
Draconis Combine
14th February 3111

Only days after the announcement of two new Dragonlords commands to be raised on Haynesville and Broaddus the First through to the Fourth Regiments launch attacks on the worlds of Damevang and McGehee.  Supporting the four regiments was the FSS Sword and Sun, one of the Federated Suns gigantic Mercury-class Battleships, this support was immediately tested in the Damevang system when it encountered the Kyushu-class DCS Karpin and the Sixth Yokosuka SNLF Regiment.  Neither the Kyushu or its attached LAM regiment are any match for the Sword and Sun and the vessel is quickly destroyed while nearly a battalion of the Sixth Yokosuka are forced to surrender under the guns of the Mercury’s aerospace fighters.

With their local naval support eliminated the First and Second Dragonlords land on Damevange assaulting the Twentieth Ghost Regiment while the Third and Fourth Dragonlords launch attacks on McGehee assaulting the Second Ghost Regiment.  At double combined-arms strength the Dragonlords prove too strong for the two Ghost Regiments overwhelming them on both worlds liberating Damevang and McGehee from DCMS forces.

Vision Quest
Tost, Tukayyid
Independent Clan Territory
20th February 3111

With a call for all of the Khans to attend a Grand Council meeting on Tukayyid Khan Canin Rosse of the Nova Cat Clan had chosen to spend his time wisely in a Vision Quest.  For the better part of a month he had travelled across the world of Tukayyid leaning more about its culture and the people who lived there but not finding the correct place to begin his quest.  To begin a warrior’s Vision Quest they needed to be right in body and mind which meant that the place mattered as much as the journey.

In the last fifty years Tukayyid had seen perhaps some of the largest changes in modern history of any world.  It had gone from an Inner Sphere stronghold during the Clan war, a place where one massive battle essentially ended the invasion, to a Clan stronghold and centre of the Clans’ Inner Sphere politics and some of the biggest Clan factories outside those that had been built in the Homeworlds.  The city of Tost had been a target of the Nova Cats during the Battle of Tukayyid unfortunately the ComGuards had out manoeuvred the Clan in that battle as they had most of the other Clans.  Now five decades later the city was nearly completely changed a growing metropolis with more than five million inhabitants all Clan.

Walking around the city Canin Rosse had felt at ease dressed in the duty uniform of a Nova Cat warrior there was little to no chance of him being threatened by any of the lower castes and any warrior would recognize his insignia and who he was, a Khan, and think better of causing an issue.  He had been taking in the city of Tost for the whole day and was yet to find anything that would mark a place to begin a vision quest.  He had been certain that with this cities history with his Clan that it would be the place to begin.

Turning down a darkened alley Rosse continued without thinking of what could threaten him.  About halfway down the alley he noticed that the lights were either faulty or had been switched off intentional and he heard an angry snarl from behind him.  Turning quickly Rosse was stunned to see a nova cat standing on all four paws its main at attention as if it were ready for a fight.  “Easy there” he said to the animal backing off slightly suddenly there was another snarl behind him twisting he saw another nova cat before he could react the two animals leapt at each other beginning a ferocious duel Rosse could not believe what he was seeing these two animals belonged far from the city and yet here they were fighting over nothing.  The nova cat was a territorial animal but they did not make their homes in the city instead they preferred wide open spaces where they could hunt down their prey Canin knew there were animals on Tukayyid, he’d seen to their introduction personally, but he also knew that this was not where they should be.

Moving backwards away from them he heard yet another snarl this time however he knew it could not be real as the face of a dragon seemed to grow from the stone wall.  Above there was a screech of a raven as it circled above while it was almost like the ground had turned to water and a sea fox ‘swam’ in circles below.  His attention was brought back to the two nova cats who continued to fight becoming weaker all the time as the other predators closed in on them.  “What am I supposed to do?”  He asked out aloud to no-one in particular “to allow Nova Cats to abandon my Clan does not make me a good leader.  To force them to live by something they do not believe will only lead to more trouble in the future.  I am stuck between dealing with this now or dooming my people’s future to one of uncertainty.”  He snapped angrily as the two nova cats appeared to take him on and stopped their fighting.  One stepped forwards and as it did it transformed into a winged cat like those that Katrine Devalis had described encountering in the Occupation Zone he couldn’t remember their given name but he remembered that Katrine had nicknamed them the Lynx.  Now together the Nova Cat and Lynx duelled the other predators that were massing around them knocking back to raven, sea fox and dragon.  Beyond these immediate threats other predators seemed to be waiting but standing side-by-side the two cats faced down each threat.  “So I should embrace this change?”  Canin said out aloud watching them fight “and approach them as a potential ally of the future.”  He wondered he knew that he and Katrine Devalis would never be friends however he also knew that her people would always be linked to his own and that even if they were allowed to create their own Clan that the other Clans would always be threatened by the links they and the Nova Cats held.  “Whatever happens we’ll always be the same people…” he whispered almost to himself dropping all sense of Clan standards as the visions disappeared and Canin saw a lower castemen standing looking at him strangely.

“Are you alright sir?”

“Aff, continue about your duties” he said taking one last look around the alley before heading back onto the main street.

Border conflict
Isle of Skye/Wolf Empire
22nd February 3111

In an effort to reclaim lost territory and test its neighbour the Isle of Skye Provincial Command deploys the Eighteenth Isle of Skye Guards and the First Tamar Cavaliers to Gacrux and Milton.  With each of the regiments the Isle of Skye deploy two WarShips to provide security against Wolf naval assets.

In the Gacrux system the WarShips the LCS Fleet Admiral Lyn Hood and LCS Dundee engage the Razor Teeth, the Dire Wolf-class Heavy Cruiser, which was defending the system.  While the direct fire Heavy Naval Particle Cannons of the Hood and the Naval Lasers of the Dundee are too much for the single Heavy Cruiser the vessel’s multiple capital and sub-capital missiles prove too much for the anti-missile systems on the two ships causing heavy damage to the Razor Teeth and they cripple the Dundee proving the vessels’ defences are not up to scratch for modern combat.

On the ground the First Tamar Cavaliers Regiment encounter elements of the Fifth Wolf Regulars Cluster who do not have the numbers or the firepower to counter the Skye forces and quickly the world is liberated.  Unfortunately, the battle on Milton does not go as well the Isle of Skye forces encounter elite and veteran forces of the Mountain Wolf Guards and despite the Clan Mountain Wolf’s former loyalties to the Lyran they fall on the Eighteenth Isle of Skye Guards from multiple sides boxing them in and forcing them back to their DropShips.

With air superiority in Lyran hands of the three regiments involved in the attack on Milton two regiments of ground troops are able to escape the firepower laid on them from the two Wolf Clusters.  From orbit the commanders of the Lyran WarShips are unwilling to burn the surface of Milton instead they escort the remains of the Eighteenth clear of the system and back into Lyran territory.

Mail Run, Silverdale
Alshian, Alshian Province
Rasalhague Dominion
24th February 3111

After more than half a year as a bondsman to the Rasalhague Dominion Morgan Ghost Bear had been trusted by Khan Michael Hawkins to run the mail through the city of Silverdale on the world of Alshian.  He had been given command of a Ceres-Bikes Flashbang ZZ10000 motorcycle for the mission Morgan had no idea how a motorcycle popular in the Capellan Confederation had made its way to Alshian but he was quite happy with the machine it wasn’t a BattleMech but it was nice and nimble and capable of over one hundred and sixty kilometres per hour on Silverdale’s unrestricted motorways.  Now in the heart of the city he was reduced in speed but it was still an enjoyable experience riding the bike through the traffic of Silverdale avoiding larger civilian and military vehicles he remembered how his father Archer Christifori had refused to allow him to purchase one when he was younger and how after all these years it was nice to live out a childhood fantasy.

Stopping outside the main mail office of Silverdale City he got up off of the motorcycle and removed the box from the back of the vehicle and headed into the facility.  With his military grade jump suit and the white bondcord around his wrist he was able to skip to the front of the mailing queue handing over the package which went into a scanner without a word from the lowercasteman behind the desk he was handed a receipt slip and he headed outside back towards his bike.

“Impressive machine Herr Christifori” a male voice asked from behind turning Morgan saw a young man dressed in what looked like gym clothing standing nearby.

“Who are you?”  Morgan asked looking around to see if there were any Ghost Bear military personnel near by.

“A friend who can get you off this planet” the man said handing over a small piece of paper on it was an address.  “If you turn up there within the hour we can have you off the planet and home within the year.”

“I have accepted…” he began to say but the man was already running off.  Morgan crossed the paved area and deposited the paper into a litter bin “I am a Ghost Bear” he muttered to himself getting back on the bike turning back towards Alpha Galaxy’s Command base.

Facility inseption
Saxo City, Baxter Island
New Canton, Star League Protectorate
26th February 3111

While he had been elected the new First Lord at the most recent Whitting Conference Bannister Cameron was still the leader of the Star League Protectorate and inspecting new facilities was part of the job.  Standing at the front of the auditorium he looked out over the class of new cadets who would train and study at the facilities on Baxter Island.  Though a civilian facility Star League Intelligence would also benefit from the facilities taking the best and offering them positions in the various divisions of the Star League Intelligence Corps.  “These facilities will add to those already here on New Canton adding to the future education this world and many others within the Star League Protectorate.”   He began gaining much applause “it is important that we add to the future of our Protectorate and to all nations of the Star League…”  He said suddenly outside the building an unmarked van exploded as it was primarily a civilian building there was only light commercial grade reinforcements supporting the face of the building which crumpled as it was struck by the explosion causing the entire face of the building to collapse with the floors above compressing on top of the floor below.

Despite a five-day search of the building using civilian and military assets First Lord Bannister Cameron was found buried under the rubble his ribcage crushed and with multiple organs damaged he was pronounced dead at the scene the news of his death passed quickly through the Protectorate with the Protectorate’s Council taking interim control until a new leader could be elected.  Although there is no evidence supporting the claim a Capellan Confederation sponsored group claims responsibility for the bombing.  They claim to have targeted the facility and the imperialistic expansion of the Star League Defence Force but that the death of Bannister Cameron was an added bonus for their cause.  One of the Protectorate Council’s first actions was to command that the Star League Intelligence Command and Special Armed Service Intelligence Branch work to eradicate these threats.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #924 on: 13 November 2017, 22:14:46 »
Nice update!!  Looking forward to see how the Sceptre will do in Taurian Space!

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #925 on: 14 November 2017, 02:22:48 »
The Sceptre going to Sterope.
I think there is one operational Taurian Warship there plus one crippled.
Taurians going to feel pain again.

The Nova Cats finally look to have a path forward if that vision comes true.
Nice update.
Growing up is optional.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #926 on: 14 November 2017, 13:07:53 »
I smell a trap or switch coming up... Not sure which, although the author may be trying both...  :o

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #927 on: 14 November 2017, 13:42:21 »
   “On that pad is data relating to the Taurian Concordat’s shipyard in the Sterope system” he replied “including entry codes to get past the sentries and access the warehouses.”

“Impressive details” he said looking at the pad “unfortunately the Sceptre is quite hard to hide.”

“Which is why we use the Harbin to get past the sentries and infiltrate the facility.”  He suggested “your Elementals are well trained and could overwhelm any defence that the Taurians could throw up.  They take them out and blind their sensors allowing Sceptre to close and we take what we need.”

“I am sure they will have naval defences too”

“Not enough” Banacek said smirking again as Harper continued to think as a Raven warrior “unlike the Succession States and Clans the periphery nations do not have massive naval forces you can take out what you need to and use what Sceptre needs to conduct repairs.”

Has the TC not still have space marine forces?
I'm guessing that this could be a fun match up

death of Bannister Cameron claimed by a Capellan Confederation sponsored group.
I still wonder if it was a false flag op by someone on the Protectorate Council, knowing that there was no plan for succession.  Now can the Star League Intelligence Command and Special Armed Service Intelligence Branch work to eradicate these threats without going off the reservation?  And if they get really lucky properly ID who was responsible.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #928 on: 14 November 2017, 13:59:03 »
The Sceptre going to Sterope.
I think there is one operational Taurian Warship there plus one crippled.
Taurians going to feel pain again.

2 active Hyades-class Corvettes and 1 crippled Congress II-class Frigate - which is located in Sterope.

Has the TC not still have space marine forces?
I'm guessing that this could be a fun match up

Yep, but I doubt they have much in the way of battle armored troops, and they are up against ex-Ravens, if not the best Marines in the sphere they are pretty high up there.  Given an edge in technology, equipment, training, and personnel, the TC is going to have a lot of trouble.

One thing I'm wondering is if Gerry Harper is willing to make a deal - the expertise of the Ravens on the ship could be enough to train up some of the Taurians, allowing them to actually repair the Congress II they have and increase the productivity of the Sterope shipyards.  They have some options, even if things go poorly.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #929 on: 14 November 2017, 21:40:35 »
I meant the Stone Spirit not Rhino's