Author Topic: Alpha Strike Companion Content Suggestions  (Read 33430 times)

Fabe

• Corporal
Re: Alpha Strike Companion Content Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: 01 December 2013, 14:55:06 »
Likw others have stated:

Conversion Rules

Quirks

More Campaign stuff...possibly geared towards long running campaigns A-La Chaos Campaign

Oh, something I think that works great if 'borrowed' from the WARMACHINE ruleset is the concept of Minature size, i.e. For the rules a mech (regardless of size of the miniature) takes up a 2"x1" space (maybe even with a reproducable template in the back of the book). This can help with some Mechs that are on different sized bases, or have odd or more dynamic miniature poses, etc.

The size idea is something I was thinking about as well,it would clear up what I think is a conflict in the rules. According to the rules Mechs stand two levels over the terrain suggesting that rule wise  all mechs should be able to see and be seen over a level 1 hill but the rules also state that LoS is determined by how much of the model is visible.  Borrowing form WarMachine would clear this conflict up.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 01 December 2013, 15:37:42 »
I know it will be difficult to do, but...

Can we have Large Support Vehicles converted to Alpha Strike?   It would be nice to roll out say Large Naval Support Vehicle on open sea without having pull hairs trying keep track of things.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ferrus01

• Recruit
  • Wo wir sind ist vorn!
« Reply #32 on: 02 December 2013, 17:36:58 »
My 5 cents:
Quirks would be nice, but I think what this Tabletop miniatures game needs right now are more detailled force creation rules (optional of course). I'm thinking rules for lance creation (fire/support/cavalry) which grant certain bonuses to the lance members. For example, cavalry lances might cover terrain more easily, fire lances might add =+1 to their shooting if none of them move ect... Just slight boosts to set them appart and give players reasons to adopt actual combat doctrines.

Furthermore, some faction specific stuff would be nice. Maybe tweak the random assignment tables to serve as unit listsand draw some inspiration from the orders list from BattleForce.

Finally, I believe specific Alpha Strike scenarios (taking into account force costs and not just percentages of the Campaign forces) would be good to catch up with other wargames out there.

Remember guys, this is not just Battletech with tape measures.

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 02 December 2013, 17:49:25 »
I miss conversion rules from AS to BT. Means searching for a tool after the game to calculate damage and ammo for the micromanagement rules we have for BT. For detailed merc campaigns not using warchest but hard C-bills it should be possible to use AS.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 02 December 2013, 18:12:18 »
My 5 cents:
Quirks would be nice, but I think what this Tabletop miniatures game needs right now are more detailled force creation rules (optional of course). I'm thinking rules for lance creation (fire/support/cavalry) which grant certain bonuses to the lance members. For example, cavalry lances might cover terrain more easily, fire lances might add =+1 to their shooting if none of them move ect... Just slight boosts to set them appart and give players reasons to adopt actual combat doctrines.

I second this.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 02 December 2013, 20:01:02 »
I like that in an AS game, there is only one way to compose/balance forces.  (the AS Point Value)

I'd also like to see some standard scenarios that shake things up other than "be the last guy with a standing mech".   Something very much like Warmachine's scenarios revolving around control of objectives/zones.   

This would be a perfect compliment for the campaign system presented on page 116, and an ideal way to enhance (or imo, replace) the 'scenarios' presented on pages 121-125.

Narann

• Corporal
  • French player
    • My Blog
« Reply #36 on: 04 December 2013, 10:11:22 »
I tried to make a friend invest in AS after few games. His first question was: Which race has which Mech and I was unable to answer as in BT every "race" (house) has almost any mech avaible. He ask me why is their houses has there is no specificity. It was hard to explain it's related to the universe and not the game itself. So a list of great "powers in place" (RS, Houses, and clan actually) with a list of specific mechs for each one instead of Army lists (peoples want to "create forces" like in other games, selecting units one by one from a catalogue). This is not related to the AS mechanism but BT in general.

So, what could make AS better?
- The relation between old BT units and AS ones was a mistake IMHO (it could be used to convert old canon BT units to AS ones but it's overly complex to create a AS unit this way as you need to deal with high complexe rules (Tech Manual) to create simple unit...). I wish a new "AS thinked" BV system computed from AS stats and not "old ones" (current point scheme doesn't reveal the real BV). Actually. It would be very intersting to have a "light" (as much as possible) AS techn manual to build you own AS units. Each unit construction shouldn't be too long. I would like to: Choose a mech you like, take it height class, put weapons/special abilities on it and hop get the BV. :) This could make newcomer came in the game in a more natural way (the only constraint is often the BV).
- A rule to resolve a shoot in one dices roll. Using colored dices with simple rules. This make it even faster for young players.
- Anything that can destroy the "ok so you do a blabla roll... <roll_silently>... ok I shoot you... So you need to do a blabla roll... <roll_silently>... etc...". As much you remove this little times that slow down the game (batching them is a good idea I think), as much AS will be fast.
- Improve the "all or nothing" damage scheme without add dice rolls (this is compatible with the "one dices roll for the whole shot" system).
- Another rule: "Commander priority". Before the movement phase, players get N dices (where N is the number of unit they have) and roll all of them. So the players actually know "what they could achieve" before the movement phase and move acordingly. After the movement phase (shooting phase), players will "use" one of the result for one dice to solve one action. This little trick make things more tactical and try to avoid the waste of time you have to roll dices all the time at different phases as you actually have roll all of them and just "pickup" result when you want. As you notice, the idea is to "batch" roll dice and avoid the roll-read-the-rule-play-roll-read-th-etc...
- Tweaked initiative rule (the one that lost initiative has +1 to the next initiative roll).

rocqueforte

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 04 December 2013, 18:29:17 »
Something I read as way that could work, you roll for each point of damage, a little bit more dice work but I think it could work. As an added benefit would help with a minor issue of having an experienced player saying I do four damage and my target can only take six so I will overheat two and kill it, where the inexperienced player may go and use all three or four overheat.

This, x100. A simple app on your tablet / smart phone / PC or ye olde handful of different coloured dice would make this relatively painless, and make the game oh-so much more "battletech-y" IMHO.

I'd also second other people's calls for LAM rules - as a old school 3025 player, I want be able to use Alphastrike with the original ("...and best!") Sorenson's Sabres  :)
« Last Edit: 04 December 2013, 18:38:25 by rocqueforte »

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 05 December 2013, 12:41:24 »
I agree with many things already mentioned.

- Points system based on AS stats

- Conversion rules

- Unit / pilot quirks or abilities

- Additional sample armies

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 07 December 2013, 11:12:17 »
A slight tweak on my suggestion for buildings:

Since AS buildings are destructible, a small stylish stat card that fits on the roof would be cool. Especially if it had room for hash marks to track damage.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #40 on: 08 December 2013, 12:19:00 »
Minor tweak for Protomech AS cards.

Could we get their AS cards modified to show each individual Proto's armor, structure, and damage values. Armor and structure could be divided by lines, and individual damage value (x) next to their standard damage stats.

It's a little odd to have to convert from a table before using on the table.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2013, 12:43:53 by Saint »
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #41 on: 08 December 2013, 12:34:23 »
Faction Specific Rules.

I take pride in my Sea Foxes these days.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #42 on: 08 December 2013, 12:43:15 »
Also I agree that the damage mechanic needs to change. I dont like the idea of cluster hits tables because thats just another table to cross reference.

Im not sure if margin of success would be great either. To much math for new comers.

Going to be hard to get that perfect mechanic that will be fun, fast, intuitive and feel like battletech.

Maybe something with dice. :)

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #43 on: 08 December 2013, 21:29:40 »
Minor tweak for Protomech AS cards.

Could we get their AS cards modified to show each individual Proto's armor, structure, and damage values. Armor and structure could be divided by lines, and individual damage value (x) next to their standard damage stats.

It's a little odd to have to convert from a table before using on the table.

This. I understand the reasoning behind the current system for ProtoMechs but having to keep the table handy can be a pain.
« Last Edit: 08 December 2013, 21:45:36 by Klat »
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

WarChicken

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 09 December 2013, 22:31:12 »
Some of these ideas hace already being stated but:

- Faction specific abilities/quirks
- Faction named commanders (eg. Jaime Wolf, Marthe Pryde, Morgan Kell, etc) and these commanders would cost points and have to have their particular mechs.
- Random commander abilities (like 40k warlord abilities) if you don't have named commander. Or you could even buy the abilities.
- Maybe instead of the RAT tables we could have a rarity table for each faction (eg. common, uncommon, rare for each mech depending on your faction).
- Being able to buy offboard support like artillery, or orbital bombardment for a turn or two. (Not sure if this is in the original rules or not.
- Purchasing ability for some units to being dropped onto the battlefield midgame.

Most of this stuff would mean players could make their armies a bit more personal and may get some individuals into more list building.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 22:35:51 by WarChicken »

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 10 December 2013, 18:37:44 »
Since AS doesn't come with any way to attack off-board artillery, an expansion certainly needs to include counter-battery fire, or airstrikes, and/or sending VTOLs/ground forces off-map to hunt them down.

At the very minimum, cover artillery (both off-board and on-board) shooting off-board, rather than just vice-versa.

wminsing

• Recruit
« Reply #46 on: 12 December 2013, 14:00:23 »
A couple of thoughts:
1. Advanced/Optional rules for partial damage instead of the 'all or nothing' shooting rules we currently have.
2. Pilot skills and abilities
3. I agree that there needs to be counter-battery fire and the option to airstrike off-board artillery
4. Force traits/abilities so you can represent particular factions and units (like the old Field Manuals)
5. More campaign rules and options
6. Random Assignment Tables (or some similar army selection mechanic) for the Clan Invasion era for each of the Successor States and Invading Clans

-Will

wminsing

• Recruit
« Reply #47 on: 12 December 2013, 16:29:37 »
Two more Ideas:
7. More Scenarios! 
8. Rules for 'hot drops' right on to the tabletop.

-Will

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 16 December 2013, 07:20:25 »
I think a rules Index would be a great add on.

A cost of equipment chart. So you can add itemsto a mech like tag, 3ci and such
Life: Some assembly required!

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #49 on: 16 December 2013, 09:01:58 »
Seems like people really want is factional and unit identity As well as campaign mechanics.

Maybe we could introduce a pilot mechanic similar but easier than crimson skies?
The more you like the force commander the more daunting the damage mechanic is.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 16 December 2013, 13:21:45 »
I like that in an AS game, there is only one way to compose/balance forces.  (the AS Point Value)

Having had some more time to think on some other people's views on the AS point value, I do agree that there not only could be something better for composing/balancing forces, there should be.

rocqueforte

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 16 December 2013, 18:31:00 »
I'd like to see the tables at the back of the book re-written to include hex ranges/costs along side the inch ranges / cost, so those of us using hexes don't have to keep doing the "divide by 2" thing. For example, re-write the Alpha Strike Range Table so it looks like:
Distance
(Inches)
Distance
(Hexes)
Range
Up to 6"1-3Short
Over 6" and up to 24"4-12Medium
Over 24" and up to 42"13-21Long

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #52 on: 16 December 2013, 18:41:44 »
I'd like to see the tables at the back of the book re-written to include hex ranges/costs along side the inch ranges / cost, so those of us using hexes don't have to keep doing the "divide by 2" thing. For example, re-write the Alpha Strike Range Table so it looks like:
Distance
(Inches)
Distance
(Hexes)
Range
Up to 6"1-3Short
Over 6" and up to 24"4-12Medium
Over 24" and up to 42"13-21Long

yeah, goes double for me.

I use Hex exclusively, and had to re-write ALL the tables for my own use for a HEX SYSTEM.

The sad, sad, side effect to this is lost revenue for CATALYST as I have bought ALL the other GAME AIDS (http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=2029), but because the current AS game aid is inches only, it is of no use to me :(
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 18 December 2013, 10:33:30 »
I think that SRM infantry should be able to use infernos. I mean all the old novels and the fluff always mentioned that Inferno armed infantry was the true terror of mechwarriors.
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: 18 December 2013, 11:19:43 »
One thing that I would like, but I know will never happen. I like the different range for different weapons, this three range thing just does not look right to me.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 18 December 2013, 17:33:51 »
Listed by Era and Faction, sample army lists. And I'm iterating that all of the special abilities need Era tags/dates as well for when they go live, go extinct, go live again and then an improved version comes along.

For new players, the amount of info to go through, most of which is TW orientated, is overwhelming for new players.

For example, in putting together a 1st Star League campaign, I've had to bounce back between Sarna and the MUL, which can be time consuming. (SRMs on a  TW design doesn't guarantee SRMs on an AS design.) And my BT fans are tired of me asking a million questions.  O:-)

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #56 on: 20 December 2013, 22:33:31 »
Might be a little late, but rules for objective markers, or maybe rules for hidden objectives.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

theothersarah

• Warrant Officer
  • Girls just wanna have fun
« Reply #57 on: 21 December 2013, 07:30:10 »
Alternate points system based on final Alpha Strike stats.

Also, alternate rules for the Melee ability that give it a to-hit bonus instead of a penalty. I realize this can be house-ruled, but an official alternate rule makes it easier to get into games without a fuss. (If this was done, it also wouldn't be the first time an optional rule made something better, for instance several Tactical Operations rules including Vehicle Effectiveness)

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 21 December 2013, 11:09:18 »
Might be a little late, but rules for objective markers ...
Craig

Regular, visible objectives are on pages 25-26

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 21 December 2013, 12:03:57 »
As this thread goes longer, and I play more Alpha Strike, I find that I refine my initial suggestions.

For example: Pilot special abilities.

I'd like to suggest that they get thrown in as an alternative to improving your skill.

Since you only get five skill slots (Skill level 4-0) improve your pilot before he has to be retried off the field, this would lengthen his career a bit. I'd suggest only doing once or twice though.