Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen  (Read 70794 times)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: AFFS High Command, Generals and Gentlemen
« Reply #60 on: 11 June 2021, 20:24:23 »
I don’t think you even need an HPG to receive.  Just a radio antenna in the right location.  The sending HPG handles opening the wormhole or whatever then beams a radio signal through.  Comstar just tended to beam their message directly into the receiving station because it makes more sense to do so.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #61 on: 13 June 2021, 05:25:37 »
And as Lord Harlock pointed out in another thread, Gavin Marik(-Davion) is somewhere. He has his own ROM-like organization with strong communications abilities. Julian used his services before, so he has this option in any future scenario.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #62 on: 13 June 2021, 16:46:41 »
Isn't that an interesting little piece of information, a connected fellow like that
might be handy in such times as these?
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #63 on: 13 June 2021, 23:26:40 »
Isn't that an interesting little piece of information, a connected fellow like that
might be handy in such times as these?

Sadly, I fear that Gavin will be forgotten like a lot of other things.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 14 June 2021, 01:52:07 »
Yeah, instead of using this interesting character, they took the trouble to create a Trenton Marik.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #65 on: 14 June 2021, 10:35:20 »
It's not like the BattleTech Universe has ended! There's still time!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 14 June 2021, 20:24:05 »
It's not like the BattleTech Universe has ended! There's still time!

It's not that I don't believe you, but first, I have to see if there are places for people like Gavin Marik-Davion in the Post IlClan to sell information to garner power in. It's kind of hard to be an information broker in an Inner Sphere run by Clan Logic. Plus, it is easy to remember that Quintus Allard-Liao got equally forgotten.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #67 on: 18 June 2021, 18:31:30 »
Things begin, people doing things and then suddenly the focus moves over
and we hear nothing else.  It's frustrating.  But I don't know what has been
going on behind the scenes. 

I do wish product rolled into our hands, a hell of a lot quicker.  Proper
moving the universe forward, product.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 20 June 2021, 06:57:30 »
Aye, this is true. The snail's pace of plot-forwarding products is dissipating its own enthusiasm.

From the latest Rec Guide, aside from more evidence of Kallon-Wernke giving the impression of being the same scale as the Talon plant, GM-Blackwell doing well in the Dark Age is positive news coming after the Jihad and post-Jihad books making it sound like Blackwell was liquidated due to people shying away from Blakist reprisal.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 20 June 2021, 14:14:08 »
Aye, this is true. The snail's pace of plot-forwarding products is dissipating its own enthusiasm.

Considering that Games Workshop basically only recently started to move their lumbering leviathan Warhammer 40K's story forward after nearly 30 years of recycling the same repackaged guides again and again, it can work. I don't recommend it since it requires constantly getting customers to buy loads of kits, but it can work. However, Battletech is not 40K, and that is for the better to be honest. Battlletech was always a dynamic story that couldn't just stay put. And in a lot of ways, that was lost with all the catch up to the Dark Age and the original ending of the novels with To Ride the Chimera.

From the latest Rec Guide, aside from more evidence of Kallon-Wernke giving the impression of being the same scale as the Talon plant, GM-Blackwell doing well in the Dark Age is positive news coming after the Jihad and post-Jihad books making it sound like Blackwell was liquidated due to people shying away from Blakist reprisal.

Actually, that goes back to at least Objectives: Federated Suns where GM bought out Blackwell after the Blakest destroyed that part of the New Valencia facility in 3075. At times, FedSuns GM makes a lot of shortsighted moves like the Hellspawn. Military forces want Maruader IIs, so what does GM do? They make everything other than a Marauder or Marauder II for almost a hundred years. Smart move there, GM.   

However, I still maintain that GM could have won the lawsuit against Norsestorm if they had used NAIS to go get royalties for the Devastator.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 21 June 2021, 06:00:11 »
Granted, that catch up took some time, but the glut of recent products around SF events can get jarring. There is also a widening gap between weapon performance in novels and what one reads in the Rec Guides. Compare the performance of TSEMPs, MRMs and the Amarok jump shield between HoTW and the sourcebooks/TROs.

Actually, that goes back to at least Objectives: Federated Suns where GM bought out Blackwell after the Blakest destroyed that part of the New Valencia facility in 3075. At times, FedSuns GM makes a lot of shortsighted moves like the Hellspawn. Military forces want Maruader IIs, so what does GM do? They make everything other than a Marauder or Marauder II for almost a hundred years. Smart move there, GM.   

However, I still maintain that GM could have won the lawsuit against Norsestorm if they had used NAIS to go get royalties for the Devastator.

The Hellspawn was quite the odd duck, along with Garms, Gallants, Ant Lions, Scarecrows and others of that ilk.

Davion forces uncovered the Devastator blueprints so GM shouldn't have had trouble with it.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 21 June 2021, 06:27:58 »
There is also a widening gap between weapon performance in novels and what one reads in the Rec Guides. Compare the performance of TSEMPs, MRMs and the Amarok jump shield between HoTW and the sourcebooks/TROs.

That goes all the way back to man-portable inferno SRMs and Shadow Hawk 2Hs..
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #72 on: 22 June 2021, 06:19:52 »
Yeah, though these recent ones are glaring. One could think HoTW is an AU with those weapons working like a charm.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #73 on: 22 June 2021, 11:47:31 »
It's to be expected that there'll be differences between fiction, and well rules.

But sometimes it's glaring how some things appear in a book, versus what
you know from the table top.  The eternally issue of Stackpoling comes to
mind, though IIRC the science says that's not possible.

Perhaps it's me but later pre DA fiction, seemed to avoid anything overly
glaring in.  Or that's my perception.  After all I generally find it's the politics
and character interactions, that ultimately I enjoy the most in BT fiction.

Though the sacrifice of the FCS Kentares, will always resonate for me for the
sheer valour of "For the Prince!"  But I digress.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 22 June 2021, 15:18:28 »
Though the sacrifice of the FCS Kentares, will always resonate for me for the
sheer valour of "For the Prince!"  But I digress.
Hear!  Hear!
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 23 June 2021, 01:38:39 »
Like the valor there, though it was painful regarding the fratricidal and senseless loss of an Avalon and a Fox

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #76 on: 23 June 2021, 18:42:10 »
Like the valor there, though it was painful regarding the fratricidal and senseless loss of an Avalon and a Fox

Oh I agree.  But ultimately one set of writers gave us these shiny toys, and another set
decided those toys were against their vision.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 23 June 2021, 23:11:16 »
Oh I agree.  But ultimately one set of writers gave us these shiny toys, and another set

That is the truth.

Honestly when it comes to the FCS Kentares, I have often felt that it in retrospect that it encouraged the idea that the Federated Suns Admiralty had only one tactic: ramming speed or suicide charge. Maybe the Kentares should have broken shielded a swarm of Overload A3s with someone mentioning that those new Overlords are like 'pocket warships'? Maybe the Kentares should have launched marines lead by a Fox Team commanded by Roger Montjar who take the Alexander Davion for Victor?

I just wish that something else had happened since I am tired of good AFFS naval vessel wasted in a suicide charge.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 23 June 2021, 23:50:33 »
I mean, the suicidal-activation-of-the-jump-drive-in-a-gravity-field is really on a whole 'nother level from just conventional ramming.  An entirely viable and honorable way to go if your ship is basically dead but you've got a charged jump drive.  Something we should consider for anti-snake ops when we retake New Avalon.  A short enough jump with a small enough ship and you might be able to target a ship and get there before they can run.  Like, say, if you've got a Scout with a charged drive jumping from one lagrange point to another.  Wait for the Snake warship to get into position to stop the incoming ground droppers, then wait a minute, is that a jump flare?  What the...? BAM!  and it's got a jumpship in its guts.  The ground transports (who, of course, new what was coming) then fly on by, saluting the Scout's skeleton crew and their valiant sacrifice.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2021, 23:52:13 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 24 June 2021, 20:27:40 »
I'm Back.

:D

Maybe not better, but I am back, with a new series in the KNT Universe, link in the sig.  Just have to catch up on the last couple of years I've been away from the game.

Dav

Rorke,

Great time to start a new thread.  Before engaging on your topic I'd like to mention the last thread went from 31 December 2013, 21:02:02 to 29 May 2021, 16:35:25, which isn't a bad run.  I wonder if this thread will beat 7 years, 4 months, and 29 days.  I wonder what I'll be doing Halloween weekend in 2028.

On topic last topic, I don't begrudge anyone muting anyone else.  I would hope the decision is made with serious contemplation and I can understand it when it is.  I find there is a lack of empathy in most online discussions, often on both ends, because realizing the other person is done is a matter of body language and expression more so than any text can communicate.

On this topic, I'm sad that DoctorMonkey (Dan) has apparently moved on from Battletech.  I just looked at the first couple of pages of the last thread: Dan, fltadm, ShadowRaven, BrokenMnemonic, Davout73, and Mastergunz haven't been active between six years and six months or so.

I'm looking forward to getting my kids into Battletech, both have new miniatures, beyond the starter game they have played.  Besides, it has been a solid few years of Battletech/MechWarrior video games so things, as you said, ought to be picking up.

Best wishes to all.
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 24 June 2021, 20:34:07 »
Did they not do any sort of expansion in the Periphery? 
If they didn't, even on a small scale, that strikes me as not particularly smart....

I'm finding the Jihad a slog, because there are so many moving parts, and keeping track of them has been a pain because I haven't been able to keep on anything resembling a schedule.  It was a two week work trip in an area with limited, and I mean limited, internet that got me back to reading my old KNT stuff and going back to that, so I've started looking at the things that have happened in game since I stopped reading, which was the Jihad era, and I'm doing a lot of headscratching....

I suspect I am not the only one.

Dav

By 3151 the only major industrial center in enemy hands is New Avalon. Victoria is not counted due to being a recent conquest too near a hostile border. With the exception of Robinson(which was never a major industrial player) and New Syrtis, the other industrial worlds are intact and back on a war footing.

The shipyards of Kathil, Delavan and Panpour are still there along with other smaller yards. The Suns still has the capability to commission WarShips from Kathil at least.

The problem is logistics(resupplying strung-out units through unsafe shipping lanes). High Command will have to muster new units on or near the industrial centers instead of PDZ capitals.
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #81 on: 25 June 2021, 19:30:13 »
I'm Back.

:D

Maybe not better, but I am back, with a new series in the KNT Universe, link in the sig.  Just have to catch up on the last couple of years I've been away from the game.

Dav
Yours remains a terrific profile pic.  Welcome back.

Matt

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: 25 June 2021, 21:20:46 »
I mean, the suicidal-activation-of-the-jump-drive-in-a-gravity-field is really on a whole 'nother level from just conventional ramming.  An entirely viable and honorable way to go if your ship is basically dead but you've got a charged jump drive.  Something we should consider for anti-snake ops when we retake New Avalon.  A short enough jump with a small enough ship and you might be able to target a ship and get there before they can run.  Like, say, if you've got a Scout with a charged drive jumping from one lagrange point to another.  Wait for the Snake warship to get into position to stop the incoming ground droppers, then wait a minute, is that a jump flare?  What the...? BAM!  and it's got a jumpship in its guts.  The ground transports (who, of course, new what was coming) then fly on by, saluting the Scout's skeleton crew and their valiant sacrifice.

I am perfectly fine with the loss of a Scout or one of those useless Monoliths from Challenger Systems (Since 3025, they have been working on it!) However, a Fox and Avalon are a bit more on the preserve list for me. Not that it really matters anymore. They probably are all gone now, but if the Admiral Michael Saille is still about hopefully her commander has the good sense to not go to ramming speed immediately.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 25 June 2021, 21:37:47 »
If they didn't, even on a small scale, that strikes me as not particularly smart....

I'm finding the Jihad a slog, because there are so many moving parts, and keeping track of them has been a pain because I haven't been able to keep on anything resembling a schedule.  It was a two week work trip in an area with limited, and I mean limited, internet that got me back to reading my old KNT stuff and going back to that, so I've started looking at the things that have happened in game since I stopped reading, which was the Jihad era, and I'm doing a lot of headscratching....

I suspect I am not the only one.

Dav

Trust me in the early days of the Jihad Sourcebooks, I complained more than I do now. Factories destroyed for no real reason other than to justify the quotas that Dark Age supposedly guaranteed. Warships blown up for no reason when you could do cool fleet battles instead. "Big Hero" Stone kind of was a footnote most of the time and bland.

The pointless death of named characters for no real reason except for cheap sensationalism. To this day, I will not understand why Diana Pryde had to explode in 3073 since it seemed to be just a random name drop.

Yeah, the Jihad Hotspot books are not a particular favorites of mine.

On that note, the best sourcebooks are probably Jihad Secret- the Blake Document plus Masters and Minions since both were more concrete and less fluid in the information presented. Plus, Masters and Minions had great art. Just look at the Yvonne portrait, she actually looked like the daughter of Melissa Steiner-Davion as oppose to other depictions which are best forgotten.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #84 on: 26 June 2021, 06:36:00 »

Apparently the Suns had an economic revival during the Republic era akin to "the German Miracle" but the borders were fixed by the 3130 IS map that came out during the WK era. Of course, that economic muscle is barely touched upon after the timeskip.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #85 on: 26 June 2021, 06:37:09 »

True. These multiple policy shifts are very harmful to setting coherence.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 26 June 2021, 06:46:59 »
I am perfectly fine with the loss of a Scout or one of those useless Monoliths from Challenger Systems (Since 3025, they have been working on it!) However, a Fox and Avalon are a bit more on the preserve list for me. Not that it really matters anymore. They probably are all gone now, but if the Admiral Michael Saille is still about hopefully her commander has the good sense to not go to ramming speed immediately.

One has to realize Endgame was written by a Cappie-lover. Heck, in the finale book of the 3067 pre-Jihad era that is supposedly about the conclusion to the FCCW and focusing on Steiner and Davion, the real winners were the Cappies, who reclaimed Tikonov with minimal force.

Hence, anything Steiner or Davion outside of Victor or Kai would be expendable.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: 26 June 2021, 09:03:34 »
I'm going to put in the LDs let it happen clause here. No matter what you think of Michael Stackpole's writing, he took it before the LDs and they signed off on it. No matter what you think of Loren Coleman's writings, the LDs signed off on it. I do not think the writers have that much power. At most, they can color what they are asked to write about. An example would be the throne room scene between Victor and Grayson. Michael Stackpole colored it the way he wanted to, and William Keith colored it the way he wanted to.

Save the blame for the LDs that signed off on it.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #88 on: 26 June 2021, 10:23:48 »
They do have a brainstorming session and all that, but isn't he also the franchise owner or something?

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: 26 June 2021, 11:07:17 »
Apparently the Suns had an economic revival during the Republic era akin to "the German Miracle" but the borders were fixed by the 3130 IS map that came out during the WK era. Of course, that economic muscle is barely touched upon after the timeskip.

So I am getting the impression that there is a lot of "Handwavium" being used to fit a particular storyline into the universe...

I'm going to put in the LDs let it happen clause here. No matter what you think of Michael Stackpole's writing, he took it before the LDs and they signed off on it. No matter what you think of Loren Coleman's writings, the LDs signed off on it. I do not think the writers have that much power. At most, they can color what they are asked to write about. An example would be the throne room scene between Victor and Grayson. Michael Stackpole colored it the way he wanted to, and William Keith colored it the way he wanted to.

Save the blame for the LDs that signed off on it.

I tend to agree.  Having talked to writers in the past, including a couple who have written for the Star Trek Universe, they are given a set of guidelines to work within, and the LD's have input on the editing.
And I know that, as an example, if people wanted to start writing stories in my KNT universe, I would ask them to run them by me before posting them, because I want to make sure they aren't doing anything that's going to change my overall storyline arc in the universe.  However, I'd also like to think that in my case if someone wrote a story that added a good plot twist, or changed something in a more interesting direction, I would adapt my overall storyline to fit it.

And to be honest, from my POV I'd be OK if they killed of a secondary tier character or two to advance the storyline, as long as a 3rd or 4th tier character stepped up.  It seems there is a lot of characters being introduced that could take the universe in some interesting places, and they are just forgotten...

Oh well, back to the Brush Wars...

Davout