Author Topic: MW 10th Anniversary Event  (Read 7312 times)

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
MW 10th Anniversary Event
« on: 24 June 2011, 10:18:10 »
The Alabama MechWarrior players' group had such great success with our recent Huntsville World Championship (22 players, lots of great talent), that we are thinking about what to do next year for the 10th anniversary of the game.

First big question we have to answer:  location!

1.  Would people come out to Huntsville, Alabama, for the event?  We have a NASA Space & Rocket Center with rentable ballrooms.  This would make a fantastic setting for a Mechwarrior event.  And we may be able to get a local sponsor to pay for it.  We also have someone who works in the hotel industry, and can get nice rooms for $19 per night.

2.  Would people rather hold the event at GenCon Indy?  The advantages are: automatic advertising through GenCon organizers, lots of other stuff to do, sight-seeing in Indianapolis, presence of game companies who travel there.  The disadvantages are: having to pay for a convention badge, more expensive hotel accomodations, less control from the Alabama group (and fewer participants from our playing group, due to the travel).

I am assuming that the Alabama playing group is the best equipped to run a high-level tournament at this point.  We have held a big June tournament 5 years in a row now, average attendance of 20 players, largest participation of 33.  We have forms we use to run people's match scores, TONS of terrain, and pre-made game boards. 

If there is a big event to be held at GenCon 2012, we would most likely be running it, and we're capable of that.  Obviously, it would be more convenient to us to hold the event here in Alabama.  But if the players ask for GenCon, and won't come to Alabama, then we'll find a way to head up there and do it.

Please reply with your thoughts, and let's get the planning started!
ilClan Wolf - it's about damn time . . .

"Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics." - Worktroll

dethtungue

• Corporal
Re: MW 10th Anniversary Event
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2011, 13:02:01 »
I vote for Michigan as the location - specifically: LordNth's basement ;D

Seriously, I'd be willing to drive to AL again as it was really fun, however 24+ hours on the road was pretty long.  I'd rather drive to Indianapolis.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2011, 13:21:22 »
I can't do more than one vacation next year (if that!), but if I can swing GenCon and you guys run it there, I'd bring a modest and easily-crushed JF army.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2011, 18:46:45 »
I vote for Michigan as the location - specifically: LordNth's basement ;D

Seriously, I'd be willing to drive to AL again as it was really fun, however 24+ hours on the road was pretty long.  I'd rather drive to Indianapolis.

Sorry, LordNth has lost a great deal of that caverous basement and quite a few tables.  Still have to get that main 8x4 gaming table up and ready.  But thanks for the vote! ;D

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 25 June 2011, 11:22:49 »
OK , as a curiosity... where would i fly into? and how far away would the airport be? (oh, and what airline services the area) [neko]
Looking for Mechwarrior Clix games in So. Cal.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2011, 07:38:50 »
I can't do more than one vacation next year (if that!), but if I can swing GenCon and you guys run it there, I'd bring a modest and easily-crushed JF army.
If this event comes together, Jan and I can take turns training you to crush them all with your new Clan Wolf army
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 27 June 2011, 07:58:12 »
If this event comes together, Jan and I can take turns training you to crush them all with your new Clan Wolf army

I'd sooner jump on a Shiro's pole-arm.  ;D
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #7 on: 27 June 2011, 14:41:58 »
How is this the first time I've heard of such a large group, despite being an hour away in B'Ham?     #P
Anywho, we don't have any MW players left down here, but if y'all want to try for some sort of joint old-school BT event, do let me know.

CDT Special Agent #343

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 27 June 2011, 22:46:28 »
How is this the first time I've heard of such a large group, despite being an hour away in B'Ham?     #P

Well, we had players from 4 different states; they aren't all from Huntsville:
1 Michigan
4 Tennessee
12 Alabama
5 North Carolina

(I might be off by 1 on the AL/NC count.  There were a few players that I simply don't know.)

"Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics." - Worktroll

dethtungue

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 28 June 2011, 11:36:49 »
Well, we had players from 4 different states; they aren't all from Huntsville:
1 Michigan
4 Tennessee
12 Alabama
5 North Carolina

(I might be off by 1 on the AL/NC count.  There were a few players that I simply don't know.)

I thought a few of the players I met were from Birmingham?  And what is this,!  There were NC players there and they didn't stop to pick up Ghostcat?  I call do-over!

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #10 on: 28 June 2011, 12:19:52 »
There were NC players there and they didn't stop to pick up Ghostcat?

It's all about logistics.  It's not easy to visit distant realms without planning time off from work and reserving hotel rooms.  And so on.

I'm half way between Jacksonville (where the Marines live) and Myrtle Beach (another State completely), any further east and my feet will be permanantly wet.  NC is a big State and I've never travelled across more than half of it.

Other players are forgiven for not wandering farther east than Raleigh and Charlotte, though we did meet a few occasionally when Organized Play was at it's peak.

There are still one or two other players here that are not too busy with Work, College or Babies that we still get together, though mostly we just talk about the "Good Old Days".  Yep, it does happen.  Even the youngest have grown up, moved on, and Real Life has complete control. 

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 29 June 2011, 15:26:40 »

I thought a few of the players I met were from Birmingham?  And what is this,!  There were NC players there and they didn't stop to pick up Ghostcat?  I call do-over!

The 12 players listed for AL includes the Birmingham guys.  8 of those players generally consider themselves part of the Huntsville group.  At least 4 are from Birmingham.

Kolya Tseng

« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2011, 01:20:05 »
It's all about logistics.  It's not easy to visit distant realms without planning time off from work and reserving hotel rooms.  And so on.

Don't make excuses, LOL.  If I had known you were down for it I would have come to get you myself LOL.  As it is make plans to go to the next tourney we have.   Hopefully the next one will be in Tennesee or Asheville so it won't be as far of a drive.  I'll come pick you up and you can just chip in on gas or food or something.

Yeah boys you here that the NC team is bringing it all next time . . . LOL first round Ghost Cat vs CJ?   ha ha.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2011, 14:03:15 »
   Hopefully the next one will be in Tennesee or Asheville so it won't be as far of a drive. 

Just as i was thinking "Hopefully the next one will be in SoCal, or Vegas, or heck Phoenix!    ;) ;) :))

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2011, 14:57:12 »
Don't make excuses, LOL.  If I had known you were down for it I would have come to get you myself LOL.  As it is make plans to go to the next tourney we have.   Hopefully the next one will be in Tennesee or Asheville so it won't be as far of a drive.  I'll come pick you up and you can just chip in on gas or food or something.

Yeah boys you here that the NC team is bringing it all next time . . . LOL first round Ghost Cat vs CJ?   ha ha.

That sounds exciting.  Of course, sharing food and gas would be the least to expect. 

First round with CJ?  Will there be a second round?  Now you're making me wish I had gone to Huntsville after all.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2011, 18:26:54 »
The 12 players listed for AL includes the Birmingham guys.  8 of those players generally consider themselves part of the Huntsville group.  At least 4 are from Birmingham.
Could you perchance see if any of those 4 are the folks who are mysteriously buying BT products from Legion Comics down here?  Our FLGS keeps having people outside our regular group coming in to buy stuff, never remembers to ask for contact info, and outside of our regularly scheduled games (which we can sometimes move to fit others' schedules) we're left with no way to invite them to play!
« Last Edit: 02 July 2011, 18:28:34 by 00Dawg »

CDT Special Agent #343

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2011, 21:21:26 »
You are left with no way to ask them to play???   I think I'd fill out some 3x5 cards and ask that venue to leave them with the stock so as to either have them fill out info ( so you can contact them or your info on the cards to have them contact you). I would think the venue would be ok with it because more GAME players PLAYING = more potential revenue for them!
« Last Edit: 03 July 2011, 13:56:37 by radiationexposed »

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #17 on: 05 July 2011, 10:28:44 »
You'd have to see our FLGS retail setup for BT to realize why that's not likely to work, although it does inspire me to rehash the current BT campaign invitation that's up on the wall right now. 
We've had success in the past with the FLGS obtaining contact info during checkout, but somehow these guys are getting repeatedly missed and/or not giving info.  It's possible they're not interested in playing, but I'm being dutiful.   [##]

CDT Special Agent #343

rjp927

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2011, 21:05:27 »
Do you follow the standard MW AOD rules or do you have your own house rules for this event.

The only reason i am asking is do to the more forms i read it seems like a lot of groups out there have their of variations on rule sets.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2011, 22:31:47 »
i used to live about 15 minutes north of B-Ham......though that was about 9-10 years ago

rkhigdon

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 05 September 2011, 17:51:04 »
Where is the Huntsville group playing?  The Deep?  Hoobytown USA?  Can't be the Bookmark obviously   :(  .  I've not much into MW:AoD, but I was hoping a few more CBT games might be run around town so I'm interested in seeing where the players are hanging out.

rkhigdon

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 12 September 2011, 12:28:35 »
Well, it seems I continue the tradition of killing a thread as soon as I post in it.  Anybody out there?

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #22 on: 12 September 2011, 22:14:09 »
They don't stop by as much as they use to.
Send a PM to AsburyGrad.  GuppyLips has appeared over at the LotB forums.  He's part of that group.  Also check the Clan Mutant Sea Bass totem mech the Blood Bass in the miniatures section.

radiationexposed

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2011, 01:16:37 »
Where is the Huntsville group playing?  The Deep?  Hoobytown USA?  Can't be the Bookmark obviously   :(  .  I've not much into MW:AoD, but I was hoping a few more CBT games might be run around town so I'm interested in seeing where the players are hanging out.
you may wish to start looking (and Post) in the thread entilted:

Where are the Players at?

it gives a good start to who is playing, where, and add your self so others can find you......   thanx

rkhigdon

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2011, 10:35:05 »
That thread still just lists Huntsville, but not a specific location where they play.  I'll go the PM route and see what I can find out.

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2011, 22:47:19 »

I apologize for the lack of a reply.  I don't check these forums often enough.

We play at The Deep on most Saturdays, around noon.  For special events, check out our website: http://www.clanmutantseabass.webs.com/   You can join up there, and watch our calendar for updates.  Hope to meet you in battle sometime.

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2011, 22:48:34 »
Do you follow the standard MW AOD rules or do you have your own house rules for this event.

The only reason i am asking is do to the more forms i read it seems like a lot of groups out there have their of variations on rule sets.

The 10th Anniversary event at GenCon would use standard rules.  WizKids left a few gray areas when they folded, but we try to rule as strictly as possible at our larger tournaments.

Legendmaker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Battletech & More Channel
« Reply #27 on: 02 January 2012, 05:21:48 »
It would be neat to have such an event in California as well this year.  I can recommend St. Crispin's Irregulars Hobby Day. It happens the second Sat of each month.  They avg over 80+ attendees for all forms of gaming. We started last year 2011 trying to get some of the AOD players to come out. It is a great location lot's of tables and good food too.  It is held at 1127 N. Anaheim Blvd in Anaheim California.  There is also lots of open gaming there every Monday night as well. 

I think it would be awesome to rebuild the "Clicky Tech" back up  .

Just let me know who and wants to do this to celebrate the rebirth of this fun game.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2012, 05:23:32 by Legendmaker »