Author Topic: Setting up a LARGE game  (Read 4885 times)

TheOldGuy

• Master Sergeant
Setting up a LARGE game
« on: 19 July 2011, 23:38:30 »
I'm looking to set up a large game, with about 5 companies a side, and was wondering if there were any good ideas on how to, as quickly as possible, randomize those forces in terms of mechs and skill levels?

atlask

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
Re: Setting up a LARGE game
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2011, 10:01:15 »
using solaris skunkwerks is the fastest way for 5 companies.. random skills.. then you can print each lance on its own paper..
Catalyst Demo Agent #881, Tulsa, OK

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2011, 19:52:56 »
I found a couple of good tricks for large fights -

Use folded cardstock to display an alpha-numeric id, Pilot/Gunnery, any substituted units, and maybe heat and weapons loadout.  You might want to identify that unit's opponent if you have Clan ROE.  Keep the blank side toward your opponent.

Staple record sheets for lances/Stars together, make sure to put the alpha-numeric id for the unit on each sheet, that way you aren't fumbling when the top RS with the id dies and gets ripped off.

Use a dice box - especially with terrain or buildings, it sucks to have to pick everything up before moving on.

Make and use a cheat sheet - units, who fired, what heat, special equipment (and maybe a page of rules to use it), and tables.  Ideally you shouldn't need a copy of TW to fumble through while you play.

...Personally, I never had enough minis for my major battles.  I know there's a way to print megamek images to paper hexes, then just cut them out and use a bit of tape to stick them to pennies.  Don't forget to label each one with their id, and keep track of hex and facing EVERY TURN.  (As a matter of fact, maybe do it for every unit - its saved me a lot of time in the past.)
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2011, 00:26:19 »
I'm looking to set up a large game, with about 5 companies a side, and was wondering if there were any good ideas on how to, as quickly as possible, randomize those forces in terms of mechs and skill levels?

Totally randomize?

Hehehe.

Print off a bunch of cards of the units.  Whether those you got from my site or the official Catalyst ones.

Shuffle them.

Randomly pull the cards out and lay them down in companies.  Then I would organize them into good lances.

For pilots...If there is a 1d6 skill roll table, I would roll 12 dice for each company and compare to that table.

:)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2011, 10:03:58 »
Some logistical elements: Start early and order in your cuisine of choice.  Have some snacks and refreshments away from the playing area.  Spill are bad.  Cheetos residue on your friend's well-painted unseen Marauder is bad.  Fed players are good.   They get less cranky.

good luck!

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #5 on: 04 September 2011, 10:55:26 »
Cheetos residue on your friend's well-painted unseen Marauder is bad.

Haha, the best understatement ever!

VF1LAM

• Major
  • Fifth Crucis Lancers
« Reply #6 on: 04 September 2011, 13:26:46 »
@Sartris:  Cheetos residue on an Unseen Marauder is almost as bad as Doritos residue on my hardbound first edition Shadowrun book, which some idiot who borrowed the book did to me in high school... [tickedoff] [metalhealth] [madflame]
Federated Commonwealth -- One more MechAssault if you want to be free!