Author Topic: Leave Nothing Behind! The Cluster Challenge.  (Read 2729 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Leave Nothing Behind! The Cluster Challenge.
« Reply #30 on: 24 September 2023, 06:46:36 »
What stops us from shooting at "killed" 'mechs to core them out?  Given the victory conditions, I'd think that would be an option.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #31 on: 24 September 2023, 10:50:19 »
Because due to the rule book when a mech is marked destroyed it is removed from the board and can no longer be damaged or targeted.  Also I'm intending to run the lists through MegaMek which does not allow any house rule to target destroyed mechs. 

In short I'm abusing the destroyed mechs go away rule to add the challenge part to the so called challenge.  You have to think around it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 24 September 2023, 12:27:06 »
Rog, thanks for the clarification!  That would seem to tip the balance to all XL (or XXL) all the way...

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #33 on: 24 September 2023, 13:05:54 »
Maybe, not sure.  The fragility is offset that if you get knocked out by your engine, you aren't doing any damage so like all things balance is required.  But that would be part of the challenge.  What mechs/weapons do you want to bring to deal with both Zombies and Glass Cannons to do the most damage to them before you core them.  And you don't know if the list you will be fighting this time will lean to one side or the other or be in the middle. 

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 24 September 2023, 13:20:55 »
Keeping it to just a Star....

3 Arctic Wolf Standards, each with 1 NARC, 6 SRM-6s, and 2 SRM-4s.
1 Warhawk C, for punching holes for the SRMS to do their work.
1 Warhawk D, for a similar role, but an ATM-9 for the close ranged FU.

For Inner Sphere, I'm going with a Long Tom Company with 10 Long Toms with a Support and Ammo Carriage each and a pair of J. Edgar Hover Craft for Spotting.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 24 September 2023, 13:31:59 »
If vehicles are in, a Savannah Master swarm is the way to go.  The odds of merely disabling one of those things is miniscule.

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #36 on: 24 September 2023, 13:33:48 »
My thought involves 8 LGB-13C Longbows and one FS9-P Firestarter.

LRM spam at range, and a ton of SRMs up close.

Note: Edited to correct a configuration that went over points, because math is hard.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2023, 13:40:42 by JoeJones »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 24 September 2023, 14:08:19 »
because math is hard.

Says the Capellan associate who helps in carrying the annual ten thousand pound nail through the streets of Capella on Carry the Sacrificial Nail Day.

House Liao OG had a picture of the said nail being carried through the streets as a trophy for their yearly metal requirements.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #38 on: 24 September 2023, 14:14:08 »
10,000 kgs, that is! ;D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 24 September 2023, 14:32:21 »
Couldn't remember the weight, but yes...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #40 on: 24 September 2023, 14:35:23 »
Keeping it to just a Star....

3 Arctic Wolf Standards, each with 1 NARC, 6 SRM-6s, and 2 SRM-4s.
1 Warhawk C, for punching holes for the SRMS to do their work.
1 Warhawk D, for a similar role, but an ATM-9 for the close ranged FU.

For Inner Sphere, I'm going with a Long Tom Company with 10 Long Toms with a Support and Ammo Carriage each and a pair of J. Edgar Hover Craft for Spotting.

Lots of missiles and warhalks are always impressive. 
What missile load outs are you bringing?  I'm assuming mostly Narc ammo,  Shame the ATM series doesn't have narc capability.  I feel like maybe all ATM rounds should count as Narc homing for the indirect fire or in a weird edge case of the narc pod offering a better bonus. 

Just checking did you adjust the BV for the standard clan pilots being 3/4

And no vehicles sorry cannon mechs only.  I don't need all the lists being weird vehicle swarms, with one submission being ASF flying out of range of the medium laser spam.  I think we have touched on all the ways letting anything but mechs in right now would turn the challenge on its head. 

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #41 on: 24 September 2023, 14:45:27 »
My thought involves 8 LGB-13C Longbows and one FS9-P Firestarter.

LRM spam at range, and a ton of SRMs up close.

Note: Edited to correct a configuration that went over points, because math is hard.

An interesting list, gotta love those missiles.  I do wonder if throwing some 12C or 14C into the main line might be helpful, but its hard to say. 

BTW what missile load outs are you bringing?   

Speaking of load outs it would be tempting to try to bring a mech with an iNarc as the spotter to get that extra -1 to hit bonus. 

Firestarter is a interesting and good choice of a spotter mech.  I like.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 24 September 2023, 14:56:11 »
I can make a McNasty Level II using several WOB LRM Carriers, Blakist SRM Carriers and a Tessen.

Can back that up with more..

:evil: TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 24 September 2023, 15:18:44 »
He just confirmed 'mechs only...

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 24 September 2023, 22:32:43 »
Lots of missiles and warhalks are always impressive. 
What missile load outs are you bringing?  I'm assuming mostly Narc ammo,  Shame the ATM series doesn't have narc capability.  I feel like maybe all ATM rounds should count as Narc homing for the indirect fire or in a weird edge case of the narc pod offering a better bonus. 

Just checking did you adjust the BV for the standard clan pilots being 3/4

Yes, with NARC Ammo for the SRMs.

Yeah, it's too bad the ATMs don't have a NARC option, but since they are all Artemis IV equipped, I guess there wasn't felt a need.  Clanner Mechwarriors rarely like to cooperate outside the Hell's Horses.

I did account for the pilots, at least with SSW's Battleforce Builder.  If I wasn't keeping it to a

And no vehicles sorry cannon mechs only.  I don't need all the lists being weird vehicle swarms, with one submission being ASF flying out of range of the medium laser spam.  I think we have touched on all the ways letting anything but mechs in right now would turn the challenge on its head.

Give me a couple minutes then while I research Arrow IV Mechs...

Looks like the Bombardier would be the one I want most, as it has the Ammo to keep the rain going.

So that's 2 Lances of Bombardier BMB-05As, but that's if you want a manageable number with them having the Ammo to keep missing.  However, if you want to just flood the area in a turn with non-Homing Arrow IV, the UrbanMech UM-AIV will do the job with 20 fitting in that list.

The Bombardier Spotter will be an Owens C or a Vulcan VT-6C, depending on if you want flat speed or a Hopper for the job.

For Spotting Role for the Urbanmechs, we'll go with a Locust LCT-1S or 1V, or even most of the Introtech Wasps if you want someone able to bounce between cover.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #45 on: 25 September 2023, 03:28:00 »
An interesting list, gotta love those missiles.  I do wonder if throwing some 12C or 14C into the main line might be helpful, but its hard to say. 

BTW what missile load outs are you bringing?   

I’m keeping the standard half LRM, half SRM loadout per the record sheet.

Speaking of load outs it would be tempting to try to bring a mech with an iNarc as the spotter to get that extra -1 to hit bonus. 

The 13C is fitted with Artemis IV on its MMLs, so I think NARC would be redundant.

Firestarter is a interesting and good choice of a spotter mech.  I like.

It is effective, and it fit in the points I had remaining. It was either that, or a couple Stingers or Wasps.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #46 on: 25 September 2023, 11:19:53 »
I’m keeping the standard half LRM, half SRM loadout per the record sheet.

The 13C is fitted with Artemis IV on its MMLs, so I think NARC would be redundant.

I'm guessing that you want all Artemis ammo then, no specialty rounds. 

And Narc would be mostly redundant (indirect fire non withstanding but the indirect ability on MML is anemic)  However iNarc pods in exchange for being able to be brushed off, gives a -1 bonus to hit the target, and that was the draw I was thinking about.  Any thing to turn a miss into a hit.

Register