Author Topic: Assembling IWM Mech Scale Corsairs  (Read 268 times)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Assembling IWM Mech Scale Corsairs
« on: 16 May 2024, 20:36:33 »
Many years ago, I got a pair of Corsair ASFs from IWM. I tried assembling them, but they just wouldn't stay on the bases. I tried holding them on until the glue got tacky, using Green Stuff epoxy to hold, even drilling in deeper.

How has anyone gotten them to work out?
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Re: Assembling IWM Mech Scale Corsairs
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2024, 22:09:24 »
The trouble with them is all about having such a small contact area, and that goes for all ASFs, not just the Corsair. I've usually had far more trouble at the fighter end than the base, and have tried a number of different ways to keep things secure.

On the base end, switching wires to something you can bend is a good first step. After that, if you cut out a chunk from the ring on the underside of the base, and after drilling all the way through, you can insert the wire and give it a 90-degree bend, slotting it into the hole you've cut. That will give it a lot more hold.

A second option is to skip the hole completely, and instead build up the base over top of a section of wire that is laying flat and has at least a couple bends to keep it from moving or rotating at all. That's what I'll do if I want to use a larger base, like on this guy: https://camospecs.com/listing/striga-s-str-o/  Still my favourite ASF mini.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
Re: Assembling IWM Mech Scale Corsairs
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2024, 23:52:31 »
I've had pretty good luck with replacing the thin wire with something thicker, as well as drilling the hole in the fighter as deep as possible without going out the other end. The increased contact area has largely gotten rid of spinning issues for me.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Register