Author Topic: Campaign Styles  (Read 4266 times)

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
Campaign Styles
« on: 01 September 2021, 03:51:51 »
Hey guys, have you played Mechwarrior Destiny in other campaign styles other than Mech-centric? Not just Aerospace or Armor campaigns, but something like all infantry or espionage campaigns?

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
Re: Campaign Styles
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2021, 18:19:06 »
No, but would love to. I'd really like a campaign centered around some spec ops/anti-mech infantry or even an Elemental-centric campaign.

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2021, 21:34:30 »
I would like to do a Band of Brothers style campaign of a Capellan Infantry Company during the Fourth Succession War. Or a DEST/Rabid Foxes campaign during the Jihad.

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2021, 21:52:47 »
I would like to do a Band of Brothers style campaign of a Capellan Infantry Company during the Fourth Succession War. Or a DEST/Rabid Foxes campaign during the Jihad.

That sounds pretty awesome.

silverfoxdmt73

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2022, 10:50:00 »
I'd love to run a mixed unit mercenary campaign starting in the early 3010's and maybe running all the way up to the Clan invasion, some multi-generational type campaign.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2022, 15:09:22 »
I'd love to run a mixed unit mercenary campaign starting in the early 3010's and maybe running all the way up to the Clan invasion, some multi-generational type campaign.

One way I started a campaign like that was basically 'Mechwarriors' that were piloting IndustrialMechs vs various pirate raids, set in the FedSuns' Outback.  They are in decently heavy Mechs so are loaded down with armor (enough to survive a few hits), and the pirates are in a few badly patched Mechs with mostly trucks to pick up the loot.

A few raids like that allow the PCs to upgrade their Mechs to something combat-worthy, while RPG schmoozing allows the PCs to get better access to local resources.  The regional lord can visit and allow the PCs to get access to their technicians and some advanced weaponry, aka the GM helping the players out ahead of a major fight.

Eventually, the PCs have BattleMechs and some decent skills, and have good relationships with nearby House units that help protect vs pirates.  Then the 4th SW occurs, and House units near them are pulled out to help cover areas, meaning the PCS now have to cover more territory from pirate raids.  At the same time, there are Star League weapons being introduced, meaning the older weapons are steadily being removed and put into warehouses.  A few supply officers are corrupt, tag several of the weapons as scrap, and sell them to cut-outs who get the weapons delivered to the pirates, while the supply officers get a nicer retirement package.  The players now have to deal with pirates that are better equipped, in addition to their forces being thinner spread.

Eventually the merc unit manages to get the location settle, unfortunately it is now 3049 and more House units get pulled off the line to deal with a problem near the Rasalhague Republic.  More pirates start showing up again.

silverfoxdmt73

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2022, 06:27:06 »
That sounds like a pretty nice idea actually...

If you don't mind, I might use that as inspiration for my own game.

I guess its easy enough to use for either Fed Suns or DC as a starting point.

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2022, 19:39:35 »
Feel free. Hopefully you can get some good gaming.

BaachicLitNerd

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
  • Tactical Shushing Action
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2022, 10:34:09 »
Hey guys, have you played Mechwarrior Destiny in other campaign styles other than Mech-centric? Not just Aerospace or Armor campaigns, but something like all infantry or espionage campaigns?

My current campaign I'm running (whenever I can get it off hiatus) is a non-mech focused campaign with the players and an exploration team running around the deep Periphery at the behest of Interstellar Expeditions. It's a lot of fun, and I get to use ISP3 as basically a campaign manual. I think non-mech focused RPG play in the Battletech universe is criminally under-appreciated, personally. The BT Universe lends itself really really well to exploration, diplomacy, and espionage missions where a lot of very fun and chaotic adventures can be played without anyone in the party knowing the first thing about a neurohelmet.

koraq

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2022, 03:47:51 »
In my present campaign the players are part of the in-official company supporting Lady Kamea from the Aurigan Coalition, which means they are errand boys doing all the dirty business needed. It's getting dirtier and dirtier as their former lives and external ties catch up with them. So far that have meant mech fighting, but also infiltration, covert ops and researching noble lineages in libraries and schmoozing nobles to gain their trust. Next session they are going to help a criminal gang steal from their employer...

So, much more than mechs.

BTW, I'd love an Explorer Corps game.

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2022, 11:23:29 »
Our game has a mix of in mech and outside of mech action becasue of the nature of characters we made up. 
Part of that is also a function of how I started the campaign.  Our first session was us escaping from a prison camp so no mech combat in that game at all. 
One of my players is playing an elemental and I am NPCing an aerospace pilot so we have more going on than just stomping around in Battlemechs. 

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2022, 12:46:23 »
I picked up the Mechwarrior 2e adventures that were published.  Now to string them together into a campaign and update things for the Dark Age. 
Should be fun! 

Unbound I have already run as a flashback introducing one of the players who joined late.  His background is Solaris VII gladiator so this was perfect. 
Nullset will need some work as Comstar and Word of Blake aren't really around anymore. 
Living Legends can play as is I think.
Bloodright I am not sure about as only half of the players are Clan i origin.  Not the easiest to switch over to mercs.
Royalty and Rogues should play as is. 

Monty

Register