Author Topic: Sore Thumbs III: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?  (Read 10361 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Sore Thumbs III: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?
« on: 06 October 2023, 14:05:35 »
Round 1...

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Sore Thumbs III: What Non-BT Video Games Are You Playing?
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2023, 14:08:35 »
Still haven't finished Tears of the Kingdom. I mostly wanted to share the end with family. They already saw all the shorts uncovered during the game so they have an idea of what's going on.

In the middle of Starfield now and still enjoying it, though it's not quite grabbing me the same way an Elder Scrolls or Fallout would.

I'm also trying some indie games out that I saw at PAX West. Some are in alpha demos, some early release, some fully released. All at least interesting and worth a gander.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2023, 15:13:28 »
Still working on Baldur's Gate 3.  Some people I know say they've got save game files that are 90 hours long and they haven't even left Act 1 yet...
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2023, 15:23:11 »
working through a new map in Timberborn, trying to get a feel for the current Folktails set up in different maps while waiting to see if the new experimental build features will be added to the main build or not. having 'bad water' to deal with sounds interesting, but the idea of 'bad tides' where all the normal water sources start spewing it is less attractive.. i kinda hope they don't adopt that bit. (i'd rather see the additions of 'wet seasons' with just extra water output, instead. make people have to build some extra slack into their water management.

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2023, 08:20:12 »
I reached 100% completion on 8-Bit Hordes yesterday. Got an acquaintance who's really good at the game to help me beat the final co-op campaign mission with every objective complete, which was the barrier to the only achievements I was missing. Took us 3-4 tries.

Now to get the final achievement on 8-Bit Armies, and I'll have completed the entire 8-Bit RTS trilogy.
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2023, 10:00:55 »
Just finished first playthrough of STARFIELD, and now I look to my back catalog...ALAN WAKE to get ready for ALAN WAKE II, MILES MORALES to get ready for SPIDER MAN 2, restart CYBERPUNK as PHANTOM LIBERTY.

Heck I still need to play Dishonoured 2, and PREY 2, as well as I got those as pack.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2023, 17:11:26 »
Still mindless drone, playing War Robots and it's not so hot War Robots: Frontier (Steam)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2023, 17:20:08 »
Started playing Touhou: Hero of Ice Fairy for the first time on steam

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2023, 09:45:48 »
Played through the NERF World in Minecraft Bedrock Edition. I liked it quite a bit, actually, but I have a few complaints with it. The most damaging blaster in the game, the Ender Dragon, is also horribly unreliable, which makes crowd control a pain. Crowd control is important, of course, when the game is choosing to spawn your enemies pretty much right next to you anytime new mobs spawn, which can lead to you getting beaten to death by mobs of mobs really quickly with little warning and no recourse in some rounds.

There's a part of me that wonders how it would go in co-op; this isn't necessarily a single-player world, it's just how I played it because none of my other Minecraft-playing (Bedrock or otherwise) friends were online at the time. This world is free, you can claim it on the Marketplace right now and play it for yourself if you want to. In fact, consider inviting me along for the ride. I want to see if the rounds are any easier with an extra person shooting. lol

On the other hand, it might take longer to unlock all the blasters in co-op, with the currency potentially getting spread around to each player individually, so I suppose that can wait until at least some of the blasters are unlocked. In any case, I recommend giving it a try.

EDIT: Turns out the currency is in fact shared! And yeah, co-op makes everything better!
« Last Edit: 09 October 2023, 13:30:01 by Akamia »

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2023, 12:45:04 »
Started a game of X-COM the other day.  It's amazing how much tension they bake in to that game.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2023, 13:29:19 »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2023, 18:47:24 »
I'm currently way deep into Jagged Alliance 3 and truth be told, will probably be busy with it for the rest of the year at least. There's a future Baldur's Gate 3 co-op campaign penciled with some friends some time in the future. We might start around the Xmas break. It took us like 4 months to finish Divinity Original Sin 2, so...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2023, 08:05:37 »
star valor
its an indie game tha tone person worked on for past 8 years plus fun and still in active development
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2023, 18:22:53 »
robocop new game in december...i am looking t play that its a fps according to articles i saw online
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2023, 18:25:24 »
Yeah, though Steam has it inexplicably listed as an RPG.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2023, 23:02:51 »
btw speaking of robocop and halloween at least in USA my friend had one of the original stunt suits from robocop 2 he forked almost 6k usd...but that was almost 17 years back

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2023, 09:41:53 »
Enjoying the story of Fate\Samurai Remnant; given that I'm a FGO player, I easily recognize many of the servants except for a few

That evade is still clunky to use though
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2023, 19:40:23 »
Played Minecraft Java Edition for several hours this morning, something I haven't done in some time; mostly I spend time on Bedrock Edition. Joined a new SMP, and I'm once again trying something a little different. Building a house out of concrete. lol

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2023, 21:02:18 »
Funny, I've been only playing on a singular Java based Minecraft server which was modified for naval warfare.  I don't play as often as I'd like too, but fun when enough people can be on to man the ships properly.

Most of the public servers I used to go to which were survival are gone now.  I don't know if I like single player.  It just not the same for me.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2023, 11:05:56 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2023, 15:19:32 »
ok cities skylines 2
took me few hours to get the thing to work seems i was not only one having issue to even get it to start thanks to error volumetric materials.well there is a fix for it...and had been playing it
fix is on reddit...
but so far so good...in few weeks ill take a look what mods will be available for it but it seems modders are out of the gate and modding

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2023, 19:51:00 »
I'm gathering the performance increases dramatically if you disable tilt shift filters.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2023, 21:13:22 »
I'm gathering the performance increases dramatically if you disable tilt shift filters.
to be honest had not noticed the only thing i killed in it was shadows bit because it hurt my eyes and made me nausious
only one time i felt like that was with old fps red faction in early 2000
found out later it was due to refresh rate on old monitors

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 30 October 2023, 09:26:06 »
Well,finished Marvel's Spider-Man 2 yesterday.  Great game, highly recommend.  Now back to Baldur's Gate 3 to try things I didn't try in my last playthrough.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 30 October 2023, 10:53:40 »
Well,finished Marvel's Spider-Man 2 yesterday.  Great game, highly recommend.  Now back to Baldur's Gate 3 to try things I didn't try in my last playthrough.

Hahaha - in the final Stretch for Spider-Man 2 and after that it's on to ALAN WAKE 2...Baldur's gate - I'll get back to you soon...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 30 October 2023, 14:27:17 »
Did you get to the third act twist yet?  If you have to ask what it is, you haven't.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 30 October 2023, 15:52:37 »
Did you get to the third act twist yet?  If you have to ask what it is, you haven't.

Then likely not

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #26 on: 30 October 2023, 16:44:21 »
Tried Cult of the Lamb while it was free for the week on Switch. Felt too much like a job.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #27 on: 05 November 2023, 09:21:48 »
For those of you who have been playing Baldur's gate 3, how is the game in your opinion?
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 05 November 2023, 10:15:34 »
It's not hyperbole to call it one of the greatest RPGs ever made.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 05 November 2023, 11:05:08 »
It's not hyperbole to call it one of the greatest RPGs ever made.
yep think of it along lines of fallout 2 smashed toghether with fallout 4
with d and d motif
but its still good only if they fixed the mini map issue i would go back to playing it.