Author Topic: Combined Arms Company, 2nd St Ives Lancers, FCCW era  (Read 4001 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Combined Arms Company, 2nd St Ives Lancers, FCCW era
« on: 17 September 2019, 03:54:38 »

Regarded as the Armored Cavalry's workhorse unit for most of its history, the Second St. Ives Lancers are renowned for their bravery in the face of superior numbers.

During the Fourth Succession War, the complete Second was stationed on St. Ives along side the First Lancers, surviving the conflict intact it defected to the newly formed St. Ives Compact.

The Second was reconfigured after the Fourth Succession War into brigade size. As of 3054 the Second Lancers were stationed alongside the First Lancers on the Compact capital of St. Ives, but in the wake of the Clan Invasion were redeployed to the Compact world of Teng, remaining there as of 3054.

As hostilities between the Confederation and Compact increased in 3061, the bulk of the Lancers formed the SIMC mobile reserve, broken into task forces to act as reinforcements as needed. As losses mounted, the Second took on the critical role of delivering supplies and equipment to fellow Compact units in hostile battles across the front. While the Compact ultimately fell, the Second Lancers were credited as the reason the defeated nation lasted as long as it did.

Pictured is a taskforce formed around 3rd Company, 3rd Battalion of the 2nd St Ives Lancers, serving the St. Ives Compact during it's brief existance. The 'Mechs are supported by elements from the 2nd Lancers Armored Command, and the Thirteenth Armored Grenadiers.

The unit's equipment is not at the standard of the rest of the regiments - someone has to be low on the supply totem pole. The company's Command Lance is composed of an antiquated Stalker STK-4P, having had an LRM removed to reduce stress on the ageing assault 'Mech's chassis; a newer Awesome AWS-9M; a classic Cataphract CTF-2X, and as a bodyguard, a Trebuchet TBT-5S, which replaces the LRMs with SRMs for close-up protection.

The jump-capable Battle Lance is made up of a Grasshopper GHR-5J, Quickdraw QKD-5M, Griffin GRF-3M, and Enforcer ENF-4R.

While the recon lance is organised around a new-tech Firestarter FS9-S, protected by a Cicada CDA-3F, Spider SDR-5V, and Jenner JR7-D.

Elements of the 2nd Lancers Armored Command:

A Recon platoon of Plainsman Scout hovercraft, a Battle platoon of Bulldogs (half standard, half LRM version), and a platoon of Cavalry VTOLs in Infantry configuration.

And from the Thirteenth Armoured Grenadiers, a platoon of Cavalier battle armour (deploying from the VTOLs), supported by three platoons of motorised infantry.

So, battalion #57, and part of my "blink and you'll miss them" states. I've done the FRR and am working on Tikonov Republic, and I may even break them off from Periphery States in my Grand Plan.

The basic point was to use up (some) existing stocks in anticipation of the KS arriving next year. I've got a fair whack of 'mechs to work through by then; the classics in the GoAC box are in scale with each other, but look surprisingly bulky next to older IWM product. When the Shadow Hawk outbulks an Orion ...

So the St Ives Lancers. Colours are green-tinted grey with jade highlights. Method:

- base light green
- wash with black ink (got to restock on Nuln Oil!)
- Green details
- Black anything to be made metallic
- Wash with black ink
- drybrush metal bits
- 'jewel' cockpits

I wanted a utilitarian scheme, and I think this delivered. The jade lifts it a bit, and the panelling has come out excellently. Basing is dirt from a garden centre, and Citadel burnt grass.

I think it came out nicely, and the emphasis on panel lines rather than highlights is effective IMHO. Next time I may use silver, rather than white, under the red ink in my fake jewelling. What do you think?

Comments/critiques all welcome.

And as a bonus ...

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Combined Arms Company, 2nd St Ives Lancers, FCCW era
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2019, 09:53:43 »
I can never critic your stuff, because it is always Awesome-Sauce

And as a bonus ...

But What's the Pixelated stuff in the upper left?
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2019, 13:51:02 »
Nice unit worktroll!
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2019, 16:18:13 »
 :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2019, 19:22:58 »
Seconding the question about the pixelated stuff in the upper left... that probably drew more attention to it than if it had just been sitting there...

Lyran Wolf

• Come the Millenial!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 17 September 2019, 21:09:37 »
Amazing job as usual.

That is a massive collection on the shelf.  You know, people are just going to start guessing what the pixelated stuff is.  You might as well spill the beans. 

On second thought maybe everyone's wild guesses will be more entertaining.
CDT Agent #1000
Author - The Weight of a Name (Shrapnel #4), Hard Choices (Shrapnel #14)

KBasher

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2019, 21:24:42 »
Very nice work!
What parts were used in the Griffin kitbash? It looks great.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2019, 10:18:23 »
The pixilated stuff is some family photos & personal stuff. The robots are encroaching on their space ...

And thanks for the kind words! Not all unit 'dos have to be garish ;) Really happy with the panel definition. And it was really low effort. My battalion jobs are about reproducability, and about most bang for 'buck' in effort terms.

Kbasher, that's the primitive Griffin mini from IWM. I like the new Classic Griffin from the beginner's box, but this serves quite well. Most of the Primitives would have gotten greater use as proxies, had the KS not come along ;)
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

mooonmagic

• Corporal
    • games i have made
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2019, 10:28:12 »
Beautiful work. Really enjoy the unit profile too.

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2019, 21:04:42 »
Spiffing stuff. I love the muted colours, basing, and the motorised infantry, particularly. Are those BTR-152s or BTR-40s or something?  8)
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2019, 23:38:36 »
Excellent painting WT! 8) 8 :thumbsup:  And the unit writeup was fun as well.  Always feel bad for the Compact.  They were so short lived.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 19 September 2019, 01:27:59 »
Well, if I separate my Minor Powers column in the grand plan into Minor Powers and Failed States, I can make more battalions! :D

And the writeup is heavily cribbed from Sarna. It's an invaluable tool for getting overviews on units, and provides the references to canon for detail.

So I've got FRR, St ives Compact, and working on Tikonov Republic (they're really a blink and miss them!). Anyone got suggestions for more? Did the 4th Republican Guard change colours when Bud Baranov led them to Hall? Do we have colours for Fitvelt?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 19 September 2019, 04:21:55 »
Are those BTR-152s or BTR-40s or something?  8)

White scout cars from GHQ in genuine 1:285 scale.

Obviously too small for direct use, but I think they made a cute Noddy car ;)

Hayden.

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2019, 15:36:10 »
I like it! I love it! I want some more of it!

That said, you call it the "FCCW" era... did it occur to you that there was another, some would say more topically relevant "civil war" going on? ;)
Hayden

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2019, 16:08:42 »
Xin Sheng! Yup, but I organise my units by the 'official' eras :)

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2019, 20:16:47 »
... did it occur to you that there was another, some would say more topically relevant "civil war" going on? ;)

The crushing of rebels and separatists does not a civil war make.  >:D
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2019, 20:28:10 »
I'd suggest it was a tad uncivil too :)

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 20 September 2019, 03:20:15 »
Sweet! :thumbsup: