Author Topic: Do we need a Light AC/10?  (Read 4921 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Do we need a Light AC/10?
« on: 08 February 2019, 16:52:56 »
Just as a rough work up . . .

8 tons, 4 crits, 3/6/9 range . . .

Is this something that would give you tactical options in a game, or a waste?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: Do we need a Light AC/10?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2019, 16:56:58 »
Other than the range should be 4-8-12, those stats look right on to me.

And yes, I think it would be a viable addition to the game.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2019, 17:20:13 »
While it competes with the PPC better than a regular AC/10, the shorter range really kills it.  Hellraiser has it right that 4/8/12 would make it more viable.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2019, 17:51:43 »
I did not see a formula for how they stepped down the range, I just copied the LAC/5's drop to the next larger gun's range brackets.  It would compete, IMO with the PAC/8.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2019, 18:54:02 »
I did not see a formula for how they stepped down the range, I just copied the LAC/5's drop to the next larger gun's range brackets.  It would compete, IMO with the PAC/8.
Reduce the short range by 1 hex and then recalculate the medium (x2) and long (x3).

An LAC/20 would be 2/4/6.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2019, 19:22:35 »
The LAC/2 dropped short range by 2 though...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2019, 19:50:35 »
Don't think of it as Gun Brackets or as Hex #s.

Look at the % it dropped.  And also account for both of them loosing their minimums to make them more accurate at short range.

24 to 18 was a 25% drop  (And a loss of Min-4)

18 to 15 was a 17% Drop (And a loss of Min-3)

Going from 15 to 9 is a 40% Drop & no Min improvement, so its far too large a penalty.

Going from 15 to 12 is a 20% Drop and also no Min so its arguably still too painful, but its close enough to be balanced.

Ditto the tonnage drop,  many people say the smaller AC's were only 2-3 tons so why should the AC10/20 get 4/5 tons respectively.

Look at the % savings & then dropping 4 tons or 33% makes a lot of sense.

I see the 10 as Colt has it but at 4-8-12 to make it about balance with the other 2 for improvements, still a tad worse over all in range % dropped w/o having had Min issues.

The AC20 would be 2-4-6 to match the MPL as mentioned.  And weigh in at 9 tons.   A very heavy weapon for range 6.  But still a possible option on something like a Blitzkrieg.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2019, 20:46:43 »
Whether it's worth the drawbacks is in the weapon itself.
I do believe they did indeed just take the range of the next larger gun.
And while I don't have any particular preference there, 12 range would make the light 5 rather obsolete if it weighted less than 8.
Thing is, if we have a light 10, shouldn't we also have an RAC/10?  :D
That would probably be OP on ASF, though.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2019, 20:58:21 »
a LAC-5 is a 1/2 of a AC/10 (half damage, half weight, same range)

a LAC-10 should be a 1/2 of a AC/20. So, 7ton, 10 dmg for 7 tons, 3/6/9 range and 10 shots per ton (3 heat?).

Maybe an "AC/1" for 3 tons (1/2 of a AC/2) should be more interesting as an AA weapon

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2019, 21:19:24 »
I do believe they did indeed just take the range of the next larger gun.
And while I don't have any particular preference there, 12 range would make the light 5 rather obsolete if it weighted less than 8.
Thing is, if we have a light 10, shouldn't we also have an RAC/10?  :D
That would probably be OP on ASF, though.

They didn't.
The LACs might have the MAX range of the Next Larger Gun but its clear the LAC2 does not have the Min-3 of the AC5 or its original Min-4
Heck, the LAC5 could be argued to have BETTER range brackets than the AC5.
Sure it lost 3 max but it also lost 3 Min too so its a net wash.

The AC10 pretty much makes the AC5 obsolete in terms of Range/Damage/Heat.
So I see no reason that the LAC-10 wouldn't also.  And at 8 Tons its still 60% Heavier than the LAC-5 which is worse than the 50% Heavier that the AC10 is to the AC5

I'd be fine w/ a RAC/10. 
Given how much larger the AC5/2 got, the 10 would be looking at 15-16 tons & if the Ultra-10 at Heat 4 is any indication you would be averaging 24 heat when you 6 shot it.
LOL.
So much for AC's being the "Low Heat" option.

Still, a 12 hex RAC/10 v/s a 22 Hex Gauss Rifle is an interesting design choice option.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2019, 05:15:32 »
Balance-wise (which should be the primary consideration, thought it unfortunately almost never is in CBT) a 3/6/9 LAC/10 looks best at 7 tons/2 heat. A 4/8/12 LAC/10 should probably be 9 tons/3 heat.

I can explain the logic to anyone who wants to suffer a bunch of math.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 09 February 2019, 12:10:16 »
Why would it loose heat when the other's don't?

I think the only AC to loose heat is the LBX model.

The Ultra's go up.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2019, 13:01:20 »
A 4/8/12 LAC/10 would obsolete not just the regular AC/5 but the regular AC/10 as well. At 7-8 tons a pair of them would be very nearly better than an AC/20.

Put me down for 3/6/9.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 10 February 2019, 04:31:28 »
Why would it loose heat when the other's don't?

I think the only AC to loose heat is the LBX model.

The Ultra's go up.
Realistically, it makes sense (less propellant = less heat) and balance-wise it works out better. But 6 tons/3 heat wouldn't really make it unbalanced either.

A 4/8/12 LAC/10 would obsolete not just the regular AC/5 but the regular AC/10 as well. At 7-8 tons a pair of them would be very nearly better than an AC/20.

Put me down for 3/6/9.
That's why I put it at 9 tons. An AC/10 can never really compete with an AC/20 since the whole point of the latter is the large damage cluster - you'll need 8 AC/10s to be certain you'll put 20 points into one location on a mech. ;)

mmmpi

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 10 February 2019, 05:59:10 »
I personally don't see it as less propellant.  It's still firing normal AC rounds, just the barrel is shorter.  The shorter range is due to that.  (IMO)

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 10 February 2019, 09:18:49 »
Pretty much. Barrel length and recoil compensation have both been reduced, hence the decrease in range.

I always thought the brackets would be 3/6/9 myself. The trend I noticed is that it just takes the range brackets of the next heavier class, minus min ranges. The weight is a third less(6 down to 4, 8 down to 5), so 8T.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 10 February 2019, 14:24:11 »
8 tons for a 3/6/9 LAC/10 is ridiculously overweight. It's AC/5 bad, heck, it's worse than the AC/5!

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 10 February 2019, 15:17:50 »
Probably why the devs never introduced it. The algorithm was breaking down.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 10 February 2019, 16:17:16 »
As far as I can figure there has never been any calculations done when new equipment is introduced. If there was things should have been at least somewhat balanced.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2019, 20:18:11 »

Put me down for 3/6/9.

Because the LAC5 didn't make the AC5 obsolete?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 10 February 2019, 20:20:27 »
As far as I can figure there has never been any calculations done when new equipment is introduced. If there was things should have been at least somewhat balanced.

Because BV is the great equalizer.

Things with all the best toys also pay for them & must now face nasty odds against "lesser" mechs.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2019, 20:34:46 »

I would prefer the heavier 4/8/12 LAC/10 because it would work well alongside ERMLs.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 11 February 2019, 16:37:57 »
To be honest I'd love to have both - in 3025. 3/6/9 6 tons would provide a "big gun" you could put alongside a few MLs or SRMs on a 30-40 ton mech without sacrificing too much. 4/8/12 9 tons lets you reach out past normal short range but still leaves some weight for other stuff on a fast mech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 11 February 2019, 18:23:58 »
At six tons on a lighter 'mech, you might as well go for a PPC (since the ammo will make the weapon at least seven).  I'm all for a nine ton, 4/8/12 version, though...

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 12 February 2019, 07:13:32 »
Doesn't really work with a PPC. All that heat... I've got an old house-rule design that mounted 2 MLs and what was essentially a 3/6/9 LAC/10. That would be 9 tons with the above proposal, doable on a 30- or 35-ton mech.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #25 on: 12 February 2019, 08:04:19 »
There’s an unofficial LAC/10 in megameklab that takes the 3/6/9 approach. Iirc MFUK had published a RAC/10. Did they finish the LAC series too?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 12 February 2019, 10:41:03 »
Quick answer is NO . Want a lighter AC 10 or AC 20 get the Sea Foxes to redevelop the lighter AC 10 and 20 the Clans had before developing Clan spec Ultra AC 10s and 20s. Already worked and stated out in Interstellar Operations.  .  The light ac 5 and 2 are nice because both eliminate minimum range .
« Last Edit: 12 February 2019, 10:43:53 by Col Toda »

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 12 February 2019, 10:43:42 »
Quick answer is NO . Want a lighter AC 10 or AC 20 get the Sea Foxes to redevelop the lighter AC 10 and 20 the Clans had before developing Clan spec Ultra AC 10s and 20s
Weren't those the LB-X?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #29 on: 12 February 2019, 10:51:22 »
He is talking about the Clan spec regular AC/10, which is a crit less and weights something less.  But its not going to weigh as much less as the Light series does Toda.  If I wanted to go with a Clan answer, I would say you could use the PAC series since the 8 gets pretty close.
Colt Ward