Author Topic: Love my 3d-Printer!  (Read 12158 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Love my 3d-Printer!
« on: 13 January 2019, 20:37:33 »
Gotta say. Loving my 3d-Printer!

Been printing some buildings for play, and they be looking SWEET!

I did a Mech Repair-bay, and then a Monsterpocalypse Building. Problem was I was neglectful, and did not check the scale, so it's a little...small :(

A few calculations later based on standard heights for a single story (coming in at around 4 meters), and based on talks with Brent Evans, a Level in Battletech is approximated 1.5 Stories, so, my corrected 10 Storey Monsterpocalypse building is now 7 levels in height :D

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Love my 3d-Printer!
« Reply #1 on: 13 January 2019, 20:55:52 »
Nice... mine is still being shipped.  It was supposed to arrive for Christmas, but (cue excuse matrix from the manufacturer)...  ::)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2019, 22:03:55 »
Noice.

We are truly in a terrain/city-building golden age.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2019, 11:28:46 »
Woo!  FedEx says my printer is in Kansas City, heading this way.  Only half the country to go!  ::)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2019, 11:54:49 »
Woo!  FedEx says my printer is in Kansas City, heading this way.  Only half the country to go!  ::)

What kind?

I have a Creality CR-10s

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2019, 11:58:00 »
My wife got it for me for Christmas, and hasn't shared any details with me beyond "coming from China"...  ::)

I'll let you know as soon as I do! :)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2019, 12:00:30 »
Huh, that Repair Bay looks a LOT like the ones from MechCommander/MCGold.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2019, 12:00:33 »
Just picked up a used Flashforge Finder.  Still experimenting but I plan to do some Btech stuff soon
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2019, 12:04:04 »
My wife got it for me for Christmas, and hasn't shared any details with me beyond "coming from China"...  ::)

I'll let you know as soon as I do! :)
  Sounds like it could be a Creality then.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2019, 12:10:32 »
Anyone know of any files for the little detail bits like Dropzone Commander sells as resin that are like AC units, AC duct, roof fans and other things?  I have been trying to find some 3D printed detail bits to put on home-made buildings to improve their look & level of detail.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2019, 12:13:25 »
For anyone looking to convert Building sizes to Levels to print sizes I made this up to help my calculations.

Note, that this is especially useful for Hexless terrain/Alpha Strike type terrain. Also good for those Larger HEX scales (I personally use a 1.75" Hex For gaming.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2019, 12:17:52 »
Anyone know of any files for the little detail bits like Dropzone Commander sells as resin that are like AC units, AC duct, roof fans and other things?  I have been trying to find some 3D printed detail bits to put on home-made buildings to improve their look & level of detail.

maybe under this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/tag:model_railroad

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #12 on: 14 January 2019, 13:29:50 »
Huh, no wonder I did not see much with model railroads, I left out the underscore on that site.  Not quite what I was looking for, but it does have a few items.

You can kind of see the rooftop stuff I was referring to in those pictures.  I know some folks have also made files for reliefs on the front of buildings for ledges and other details that add depth to the building.
Colt Ward

greasyspoon

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 14 January 2019, 18:12:47 »
This is a Good AC Unit
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2618055

I have used it on my Red Rocket Station
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3276157

I have a CR-10 mini and it printed with ease.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2019, 18:46:38 »
Woo!  It showed up today, though I'm going to wait to unbox it until my wife gets home from work.  The outside says "Ender-3 Pro", and "Shenzhen Creality 3D Technology Co., LTD."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2019, 18:35:00 »
Two blobs later, it's a dog!  My wife dialed in whatever it was, and the third time was the charm... now she's going to try something more ambitious (she Kickstarted Fat Dragon Games a couple of times, and has been waiting for the chance ever since...).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2019, 20:18:44 »
The first two skeletons came out pretty good.  We used the free roll of feed stock that came in the box, but they're really not bad at all.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #17 on: 08 February 2019, 20:42:13 »
Two blobs later, it's a dog!  My wife dialed in whatever it was, and the third time was the charm... now she's going to try something more ambitious (she Kickstarted Fat Dragon Games a couple of times, and has been waiting for the chance ever since...).

Fat Dragon has a youtube video about printing miniatures and using Cura. They have some settings you can get a profile for. I used them and tweaked them a bit for my cr20 pro and they have been fantastic.
Demo Agent #715
Game HQ Oklahoma City, OK
Carolina Comics Lawton, OK
Oklahoma Battletech Group on Facebook

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2019, 21:34:16 »
I'm pretty sure she watched it, and we've been printing like crazy.  One particular piece gave us trouble (a well roof), but once we told it to give it a base, it stayed put on the platform.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #19 on: 10 February 2019, 00:49:14 »
That has been my experience too. Printing with a brim or skirt has been a struggle. I put a raft under it and it prints beautifully. I tried hairspray on the magnetic print bed and that was not great.
Demo Agent #715

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 10 February 2019, 05:16:15 »
Hadn't heard of the hairspray trick... based on your experience, I'm glad we missed it... ;)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #21 on: 10 February 2019, 11:22:28 »
Just thought I'd post up, and mention I now have a 2nd 3d Printer, thins time the ANYCUBIC PHOTON:

This prints in amazing detail, but prints with photosensitive Resin, so the smell factor is much higher.

Yes, I use this to print some mechs and such, and as a result, won;t show pics of those.

faithless

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I am a meat popsicle.
« Reply #22 on: 10 February 2019, 16:35:59 »
I found that the roller for my bed may be loose. I will check that and see if that help my brim and skirt printing situation.
Demo Agent #715

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2019, 20:08:50 »
Hey guys, hope you don't mind a quick threadjack, but I wanted to ask if you could tell me which printer you would recommend - the Anycubic Photon or the Creality CR-10s, as those are the two printers I'm looking at buying for my first ever 3D printer. I'd like to print hex terrain and buildings, as well as MWO mech minis and maybe some small D&D tabletop minis as well.

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2019, 20:16:41 »
Not familiar with either of those specific models, but I'll say given my experience with the Ender-3 Pro from Creality, if you can get something with automatic bed levelling, GET IT! :)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 26 February 2019, 10:15:38 »
Hey guys, hope you don't mind a quick threadjack, but I wanted to ask if you could tell me which printer you would recommend - the Anycubic Photon or the Creality CR-10s, as those are the two printers I'm looking at buying for my first ever 3D printer. I'd like to print hex terrain and buildings, as well as MWO mech minis and maybe some small D&D tabletop minis as well.

I have both. The Crealty CR10-s is my go to for Larger Models and buildings.

The Photon is excellent for the extemely close details needed for the printing of minis with good detail.

Below see two buildings I printed up on the CR-10s.

And I backed a Kickstarter Campaign and already have the files now:

https://deadlyprintstudio.com/

This will allow me to print some Firing Missiles, weapon blasts etc to add to my mechs to make them look cooler :D

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #26 on: 26 February 2019, 11:01:30 »
Spitballing priorities, I would probably recommend that if one is going for a single printer, get the one that's better at miniature detail. While 3D printed buildings are very cool, the hobbyist can get very good results with foam board, mat board, and styrene (after all that's what effects artists work in; you can always print specific details like roof chillers with the precision printer).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 26 February 2019, 13:40:13 »
Spitballing priorities, I would probably recommend that if one is going for a single printer, get the one that's better at miniature detail. While 3D printed buildings are very cool, the hobbyist can get very good results with foam board, mat board, and styrene (after all that's what effects artists work in; you can always print specific details like roof chillers with the precision printer).

I agree. If I was to do it again, I'd have got the Photon and not the Creality. Mind you, the creality will serve me well when I print some of the Box Set Minis at 3-4x the regular size (and yes I do have permission) as prize give-aways for future events I have planned.

rogueranger1993

• Corporal
  • Of noble birth and mercenary mind...
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2019, 20:20:29 »
Right, the PHoton it is then. Miniatures were my biggest priority, due to the expense of adding to my Mech collection using just IWM minis (oi vey, my pocketbook...) :'( Plus, the MWO minis do look pretty cool. Thanks for the advice, guys!

1. Incoming fire has the right of way.
2. The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
3. Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.
                                   - excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 04 March 2019, 21:36:50 »
Check out my Catapult in the Minis forum with missiles  that were done on my photon.

Register