Poll

If you could build and deploy only one of the IS designed omnimechs in your forces, which would it be?

Raptor
Arctic Fox
Owens
Strider
Firestarter
Blackjack
Men Shen
Black Hawk-KU
Perseus
Templar
Sunder
Hauptman

Author Topic: If you could build only one omnimech ...  (Read 20146 times)

RGCavScout

• Master Sergeant
  • We are the Brute Squad!
Re: If you could build only one omnimech ...
« Reply #30 on: 09 February 2011, 16:37:57 »
I had to go with the Templar.  While I generally like faster medium-weight 'Mechs, the Templar just seems to scratch me right where I itch.  It is probably more expensive and has some wonky crit issues; but I love it and I have had great success with it.  Despite the fact that I use it more as a heavy rather than a true assault 'Mech/

That said, the Hauptmann is a very close second from a sheer utility standpoint.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."  Dread Pirate Roberts

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #31 on: 09 February 2011, 16:51:59 »
considering the templar was builot to replace some 15 mechs in the 70-90 ton range, I don't see a probl;emw ith deploying it as a heavy
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

topcat

• Corporal
  • Blake save us from combined yawns... err, arms!
« Reply #32 on: 09 February 2011, 16:53:57 »
Part of the reason I say "Hauptmann" above is that it is so unbelievably cheap.  Fast mechs, especially those with a meaningful amount of pod space, tend to come with obscenely expensive and fragile XL engines.  If I'm limited to one omni design, I'm getting the most out of my C-Bills, and I do best that with a slower, cheaper, tougher design like the Hauptmann.

As much as I'm a "mech" guy, speed/recon work is one of those places where I see non-mech units performing the role adequately (and at greatly reduced cost).  If I need something faster than a Hauptmann, I could give up the flexibility of pod space and not lose much overall.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #33 on: 09 February 2011, 17:29:54 »
I think I would go with Black Hawk-KU, even if there are several decent choices.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2011, 17:31:24 »
The poll curve is heavily tilted towards the heavier OmniMechs... As it should be! ;)  The Lyrans know how to make a fine 95 ton 'Mech.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: 09 February 2011, 17:32:52 »
What? No option for the Battle Cobra (C*-built)?!

I know *fume*

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 09 February 2011, 17:39:03 »
but its a walking pillbox. 

So, what is wrong with a walking pillbox? Almost impossible to crack, it walks and... it kills things. Lots of things.

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #37 on: 09 February 2011, 20:33:26 »
So..I voted for the Owens. 

WHY?!  you ask.  Well, because I'm a huge fan of combined arms coordination and it's the best omni mech out there to forward deploy a group of BA quickly and then provide assistance to coordinate the rest of your forces' fire. 

Additionally, it's lighter and a bit cheaper than the others. 

For a close second I go with the Men Shen. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #38 on: 09 February 2011, 20:45:59 »
I took the Avatar even though I could probably just as easily take the Black Hawk-KU or Hauptmann. 

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #39 on: 09 February 2011, 20:59:38 »
Additionally, it's lighter and a bit cheaper than the others.

It's comparable in BV to those around its size (roughly average to slightly below it), but the Arctic Fox and Raptor are both lighter and are joined by the Strider in being considerably cheaper by C-Bill cost.

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #40 on: 09 February 2011, 23:33:12 »
It's comparable in BV to those around its size (roughly average to slightly below it), but the Arctic Fox and Raptor are both lighter and are joined by the Strider in being considerably cheaper by C-Bill cost.

I will certainly grant you that it's more expensive when compared to those in it's weight range, but not when compared to the heavier omnis that most are mentioning here.  That was my point even if I didn't explain it really well. 

Additionally, the speed advantage of the Owens relative to those other platforms is an offsetting advantage in my mind. 

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 10 February 2011, 03:42:59 »
I would go for the Templar, it's perfect for the Fed Suns Calvary role of 'Mech.

Dave.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 10 February 2011, 07:41:24 »
I will certainly grant you that it's more expensive when compared to those in it's weight range, but not when compared to the heavier omnis that most are mentioning here.  That was my point even if I didn't explain it really well. 

Additionally, the speed advantage of the Owens relative to those other platforms is an offsetting advantage in my mind. 

I was just pointing out a few facts that didn't seem to line up.

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 10 February 2011, 16:11:13 »
My vote has to go to the Hauptmann. Because it does it's job as an omnimech best.

The whole point of an omnimech is customization, and with it's standard engine, standard chassis and standard armour the Hauptmann just gives you the most freedom to do with what you want.

The Templar would be a close second, but with the XL engine and endo steel chassis it might have the tonnage to play with, just not the crit space to reach it's full potential.

Other lighter mechs like the Blackhawk-KU and Men Shen would probably see a lot more service, but with their fixed pieces of equipment, I just feel that they aren't living up to the full potential that is an omni chassis. They are by no means bad chassis, and even though I might put jump jets on all the variants I make for it, I just think they should leave the decision to mount such equipment or not to the pilot or force commander.

In short. I pick the Hauptmann because it gives me the most freedom to do with it what I want, because that is the point of an omnimech.

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 11 February 2011, 05:17:43 »
Well, to the Black Hawk-KU's defence: it was designed to be the IS Nova.
The Nova has fixed Jump Jets, the Hawk-KU has fixed Jump Jets.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: 11 February 2011, 07:27:03 »
The Firestarter.  No one would see it coming.

Except me, since it's my favorite Omni as well. The FS9-OF is a great general purpose unit, and the other versions all offer something useful as well.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #46 on: 11 February 2011, 07:37:11 »
I tend to think of the FS9-O more as an omni-Phoenix hawk.  I think you could build a pretty solid force around that, the BHKU and either the Avatar or Sunder.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 11 February 2011, 07:47:31 »
Well, to the Black Hawk-KU's defence: it was designed to be the IS Nova.
The Nova has fixed Jump Jets, the Hawk-KU has fixed Jump Jets.

Yep, and I don't really ding it because of that.  The Nova gets away with this a lot better for most people because it's not sitting right over the limit for half-ton jets.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #48 on: 11 February 2011, 07:51:35 »
If the JJs on the BHKU didn't straddle the 20 ton mark (22 vs 17 tons of pod space) they probably wouldn't be so irksome, preventing the BHKU from packing some heavier weapon (all be it ground-bound) configs.

Cheers,
LCC
« Last Edit: 11 February 2011, 11:21:02 by LastChanceCav »
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 11 February 2011, 08:25:36 »
I'm going to weigh in on the side of the Firestarter, also. Being a 6/9/6 it neatly fits into that medium category where it can fulfill a heavy backstabber role, a recon role, a trooper role, mobile fire support, electronic support, and all while bringing a squad of BA to the fight. While it is more killable than other non-omnis in it's weight class, it's sheer flexibility makes it a superior weapon IMHO. YMMV.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #50 on: 11 February 2011, 09:02:40 »
I'm going to weigh in on the side of the Firestarter, also. Being a 6/9/6 it neatly fits into that medium category where it can fulfill a heavy backstabber role, a recon role, a trooper role, mobile fire support, electronic support, and all while bringing a squad of BA to the fight. While it is more killable than other non-omnis in it's weight class, it's sheer flexibility makes it a superior weapon IMHO. YMMV.

I think part of the problem with the Firestarter, in the context of this thread, is that medium mechs are no longer medium mechs. By this I mean that the average mech size for most roles were Mediums. Troopers, armed recon, and even some that were considered weapons-heavy mechs at the time were all handled by the multi-purpose medium weight class. Weight saving technology, especially the XL engine, has moved the median weight for most roles into the heavy category. As such, if you can only build a single Omni, you'll probably want a heavy.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Belisarius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 11 February 2011, 13:05:08 »
Am I the only one who has noticed a trend back toward centerline with advances like C3 and the transition of universe focus away from the Clan front? IS forces don't generate the same lethal long range fires that the Clans do. In that context, mediums are much more viable and, given the lack of 6/9/X in the heavy weight class (admittedly more than before the Clan invasion), there's not that many options for fast attack / heavy recon. Centurions, Legionaires, Dervishes, Phoenix Hawks, Trebuchets, etc etc... while they are indeed still more vulnerable to fires than they were in 3025, still fill all those required niches. Pushing the weight class median North, while nice from an individual survivability perspective, also deprives units of key capabilities. I think that, with the LCTs, the rebalance of international powers, and the recovery from the Jihad, we'll see a shift back, to some degree. It just doesn't make much sense OOC to make the median mech weight over 60 tons, you just impose limits on the viable forces your players can field. If it is true that the median weight shifted up, then I for see a rebalancing back to the original distribution. Anything else would relegate whole weight classes to marginilization.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #52 on: 11 February 2011, 13:40:16 »
I do agree that the current push by the fluff seems to be back towards high-end mediums and low-end heavies. I'd assume this was a concious decision by TPTB in order to help make the lighter weight classes relevent again. The problem is that the genie won't go back in the bottle. XLEs, LFEs, iJJs, FF Armor, ES IS, etc have all conspired to allow larger mechs to do all but light recon and fast strike harassment jobs. While there is still a role for Medium mechs, they are largely less effective as mainline combat forces, and are performing roles traditionally reserved for lights, and Lights themselves are largely irrelevent except as light recon, and even then only offer a small advantage over a medium mech in a similar role. There are definitely a few light designs that are still relevent, but until we have a de facto state of the universe wherein lighter mechs are the norm again, the rules simply give little reason to down grade aside from personal preference.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 11 February 2011, 17:02:14 »
In that context, mediums are much more viable and, given the lack of 6/9/X in the heavy weight class (admittedly more than before the Clan invasion), there's not that many options for fast attack / heavy recon.
Plenty of 6/9/X movers in the heavy bracket, although I'm not up-to-date on which are still being produced.
Grand Dragon (DRG-5K, -7K, -9KC, -C), Lancelot (LNC25-01, -04, -5, -6), Ostsol (OTL-8M), Paladin (PAL-2, -3), Spatha (SP1-X, SP2-X), Ti Ts'ang (TSG-9C, -9H, -9J), Balius, Exterminator (EXT-4D, -4Db, -5E, -5F), Linebacker, Morpheus (MRP-1, -3, -3S, -3T, -3W), Ninja-To (NJT-2, -3), and some 5/8/X heavies with TSM.

A 6/9/0 60-ton (IS) Omni would have about 19 tons of pod weight. Balius has 20. Linebacker has 17.5.
It'd be interesting to see an Omni with an XXL engine.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 12 February 2011, 13:01:05 »
I picked the Templar since it is an Assault mech that is durable, can move well for its weight size and can still pack enough weapons to take down just about any enemy. Yeah, the XL engine and crit spacing aren't perfect but the Davion's seems to like their XL engines so...

A very close second was definitely the Avatar since I like the idea of a heavy omnimech with alot of versatility. Of course, I would have preferred more speed on the design but as a "trooper" mech of the IS, 4/6 seems fine.
Made by HikageMaru

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 12 February 2011, 14:48:31 »
I misunderstood the question- I thought it was "pick with only canon variants," so I went with the men shen, though I very nearly picked the Blackhawk.

If I'd picked "pick my base," I'd go with the Blackhawk.  Damn close either way.

Honorable mentions go to the hauptmann (I tend towards cav-style play, but if I was GONNA pick an assualt omni- well, the LAAF does build 'em right!  ;) ) and the firestarter: for such a small mech, there is a surprising amount of really useful and fun variants- hell, one has a SWORD!  Just for fun and versatailty it scores high with me.

I like some of the rest, some are crap, but, hey, your experience may vary...  :)

Reaver

• Warrant Officer
  • 10 XP from 2nd level commoner
« Reply #56 on: 12 February 2011, 16:21:12 »
A very close second was definitely the Avatar since I like the idea of a heavy omnimech with alot of versatility. Of course, I would have preferred more speed on the design but as a "trooper" mech of the IS, 4/6 seems fine.

Just out of curiosity, why pick the Avatar over the Perseus then?  The only real disadvantage the P1 has over the AV1 is the amount of open space to work with.  Aside from that, it has more free tonnage, more armor, and better heat sink optimization in engine placement.  Not questioning you, just wondering why the gravitation to the Avatar?
The Federated Suns.  Exporting freedom, whether we have it or not, whether you want it or not.
--Pyro

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 12 February 2011, 16:46:28 »
That space issue severely limits The versatility he's looking for.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 12 February 2011, 17:03:48 »
That space issue severely limits The versatility he's looking for.

Yeah, this is the major reason but I must admit that I have never actually used a Perseus in game and since I have used the Avatar I am definitely more biased towards it.
Made by HikageMaru

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #59 on: 12 February 2011, 17:09:33 »
Well i put Templar for obvious patriotic reasons, that and it's very effective.  Though i also admit i am fond of the Avatar also.

If one could though, personally i'd love to have the Thanatos in it's intended Omni version.  I know, i'm eccentric.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Register