Author Topic: Tablet recommendation time again!  (Read 2626 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Tablet recommendation time again!
« on: 07 August 2013, 09:34:44 »
So for finally finishing something I'm pretty proud of, I would like to reward myself with a tablet. My wants are these:

- I'd like to run Foreflight, an electronic flight-bag subscription suite for my flying activities. Currently they only develop for iOS which, for better or worse, is becoming the de facto standard in aviation (I would have trouble hooking up other products and sensors to something else).

- I'd like to have removable storage.

- Running Powerpoint presentations (yes, we still have to do that sometimes) without screwing up the font and spacing.

- PDFs

- Average tablet news/communication consumption.

- I'd like to have some parallel processing capability and compilers available. I'll jailbreak if I have to. My current interest is Nvidia's CUDA API. OpenCL is an option. Yet if I do jailbreak, I'm not clear whether that could screw up Foreflight. So I'm not opposed to getting, say, a development tablet now and an iPad mini for taking with me on flights.

Current candidates:

- iPad
- ASUS Infinity (current gen)
- ASUS Infinity (next gen Tegra 4)
- Windows Pro
- Nexus of some kind

Overall, I think the Infinity matches my wants the best... maybe with the exception of being able to run Windows stuff natively. The Tegra 4 is very attractive as I could have access to something like 60 CUDA cores instead of 12 on the Tegra 3. Plus it looks like it has a very good display (2560x1600 too good? greater relative load than Tegra 3 @ 1920x1200?). No release date for the new one has been announced, but it sounds like mid-late fall is in order. Does sitting tight for a bit sound like the prudent thing to do for now?

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
Re: Tablet recommendation time again!
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2013, 10:00:13 »
If Foreflight is only an iOS app, aren't you pretty much stuck with an iPad?
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2013, 10:10:39 »
I could save up and get an ipad mini later, purely for flight bag use. It's still no sin to use paper charts still.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2013, 10:41:12 »
In that case, Samsung has mentioned a nexus 10 update is in the works (much like what happened to the nexus 7). The only thing that kept me from a N-10 in the first place was cost. I have the new N-7 now and love it. I can't see the new N-10 not being great as well.

The infinity's specs are already out and really meets your needs, so I figure we'll see it before the new N-10. However, if you can wait another week or so we may have an answer.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

vidar

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2013, 20:20:28 »
As a happy IPad user I just want to ask a few question,
What's the removable storage for? Could you use cloud based instead? I have found the storage issuse to be a lot less than I thought it would be.
Power point and Keynote flip file as if they were one program.
There are several good PDF readers and editors.
As for the last few pieces, it maybe better to buy a cheap tablet and play with it instead of your main system.  It suck to fry your main system trust me.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2013, 07:55:54 »
As a happy IPad user I just want to ask a few question,
What's the removable storage for? Could you use cloud based instead? I have found the storage issuse to be a lot less than I thought it would be.
Power point and Keynote flip file as if they were one program.
There are several good PDF readers and editors.
As for the last few pieces, it maybe better to buy a cheap tablet and play with it instead of your main system.  It suck to fry your main system trust me.

The removable storage is a trust issue. If I can get away without having to install Apple iTunes... "software" on my windows machine, all the better. Also I'm not inclined to get a data plan just for a tablet (old school phone user).

Keynote is also a trust issue. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't. Ever. And that's pretty much it.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2013, 08:24:31 »
well you can always use cloud storage and use wifi only,
and you can add a hotspot for on the go connections

if you are wanting windows, also check the SurfaceRT, already has Office
but has software limits of course

or check the 11 inch hybrids (I rep for HP)
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/948607/HP-Envy-x2-11-g010nr-Convertible/

or the smaller Yoga model
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/762874/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Yoga-11-Laptop-Computer/

or if going droid, Asus and Samsung have covered on 10 in tablets
and HP has a 10in droid hybrid laptop in the near future
Samsung has a laptop coming soon that is dual boot droid/win 8
no ETA on either yet
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2013, 11:33:41 »
The removable storage is a trust issue. If I can get away without having to install Apple iTunes... "software" on my windows machine, all the better. Also I'm not inclined to get a data plan just for a tablet (old school phone user).

Keynote is also a trust issue. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I don't. Ever. And that's pretty much it.
^ times 10
look at it this way I have seen things come and go which is totally fine.
I got burned years ago on several games I really liked, like earth and beyond, the battletech online game by EA (that never got out of beta) etc,

with my movies I prefer to buy the dvd/blu ray, because I don't totally trust that the online service that maintains my account isn't going to "go away" and leave me with nothing...

its the same reason I personally don't do online backups web storage cloud storage or similar, I would vastly prefer to buy "ebooks" and download them to storage media (and make a backup or 3) if I can.