Author Topic: Need Help - Broken LAM miniature  (Read 1304 times)

Face

• Corporal
Need Help - Broken LAM miniature
« on: 22 May 2018, 20:49:49 »
Someone bent this poor guy over and broke all three points (legs x2 and arm) and now I need to put back together. I plan to pin at least 2 of the 3 points, but I am noticing that the breaks are bends/rips in the material, meaning i will have to shave/shape back into place. I am hoping the  more experienced folks here have both advice and some better quality close-ups of this mini that can help guide me to putting this thing back together.

Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope!

Quote from: Darzoni
A Mad Cat, honey, is what happens when a Marauder and Catapult love each other very much.

Face

• Corporal
Re: Need Help - Broken LAM miniature
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2018, 21:16:04 »
To add to my dismay, and confusion, I have to admit to being ignorant and ask more about my toys:

I somehow have been slowly cleaning this mini thinking I was putting together a Wasp when I realize I have a PH... except it doesn't match the PH-LAM I have had for years. Mine has the detached left hand/arm AND what looks like a Thundercats embossing on the left leg... this new project has neither. But it definitely isn't a Wasp/Stinger... right? Or am I just having one of those days?
A Mad Cat, honey, is what happens when a Marauder and Catapult love each other very much.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2018, 21:20:24 »
There was a version of the Phoenix Hawk LAM that had the Crescent Hawks logo on the leg, which is what your assembled one is.

I don't have first hand knowledge, but I think this also accounts for the other differences.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2018, 21:21:27 »
What you have (in broken form) is the original sculpt of the Phoenix Hawk LAM.  When they resculpted it, they used the leg mold from the promotional version that was sent to winners of the Crescent Hawks Inception game, and has the Crescent Hawk logo on the shin.  (The game premium version has the Crescent Hawk logo on each wing as well)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Face

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2018, 21:29:44 »
Sweet - so I've had a sepcial(ish) PH-LAM from the start. I had no idea. Thank you!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2018, 23:46:26 »
Sweet - so I've had a sepcial(ish) PH-LAM from the start. I had no idea. Thank you!

Unless it has the logos on the wings...no, sorry. You actually had the most-common version. The one you're trying to repair is somewhat more uncommon.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Face

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2018, 10:14:42 »
Unless it has the logos on the wings...no, sorry. You actually had the most-common version. The one you're trying to repair is somewhat more uncommon.

I realized that I didn't type that quite right, and I saw that I have the most common of the three, apparently. Thanks for the info!

Now... anyone else have good close up pics of the first run PH-LAM to help me determine best way to file these two halves back together?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2018, 10:22:45 »
Remove the damaged parts, file them flat, hopefully it's just the joints.   Drill holes for pinning, pin the parts and then use green stuff or some other putty to go over the pinning and sculpt as jointing.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2018, 11:03:30 »
Now... anyone else have good close up pics of the first run PH-LAM to help me determine best way to file these two halves back together?

I'll check my photo archives, but I sold mine some time ago. The only one I kept (indeed, my only Unseen at all) is my Crescent Hawks Inception version. ;)

Remove the damaged parts, file them flat, hopefully it's just the joints.   Drill holes for pinning, pin the parts and then use green stuff or some other putty to go over the pinning and sculpt as jointing.

Solid advice. Like a wise man once said, "it's only new once." If you try for a perfect repair, you'll just frustrate yourself. Start filing, drill for pins, and test-fit until it looks right to your eyes. Then glue and fill the gaps.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2018, 12:49:14 »
LAM photo guide here: http://brianscache.com/lams/

Register