Author Topic: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!  (Read 95379 times)

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
Re: Mars Rising - Marian Hegemony V: Barbari ite Domum!
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2021, 16:39:52 »
Well here's to Rec17.  To which I'll forget about until the Discord advertises it in eight channels because I probably have the awareness of a gnat.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2021, 10:20:13 by Turaglas »
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2021, 17:38:54 »
7V is produced by Bergan and 7V2 is mentioned as a basic weapon swap so I assume that Bergan does it too.

EDIT: My bad, it seems I misread and thought that one plant of Bergan is situated in MH.

You got my hopes high Geont, for a moment at least. But no, the only mention of the MH is to be a mook faction again. They even did not used the correct term. Its no Lance, but Century.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2021, 17:46:40 »
If unfortunate that they do not even know the correct term of the Marian unit, they also do not seem to know what is written about laws of the Marian Hegemony that people of Marian citizenship cannot be made slaves, they could lose their titles and honors and go down from patrician to plebey but not sold as slaves

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2021, 17:56:21 »
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2021, 10:19:34 by Turaglas »
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2021, 06:56:28 »
If unfortunate that they do not even know the correct term of the Marian unit, they also do not seem to know what is written about laws of the Marian Hegemony that people of Marian citizenship cannot be made slaves, they could lose their titles and honors and go down from patrician to plebey but not sold as slaves

I see the Century/Lance mistake is already up in the errata thread, might be worth adding the slaves information.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2021, 07:00:01 »
You got my hopes high Geont, for a moment at least. But no, the only mention of the MH is to be a mook faction again.

It is now canon that Canopians are so deadly in war that their planetary militia can defeat veteran legionaries. Next the Caesar might even have lorica segmentata, living on top of a tower with a lidless eye as his personal emblem.

In a desperate time such as getting invaded on two fronts, Marian leadership can still spare trained MechWarriors for slave life, nevermind the canon contradiction.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2021, 08:34:57 »
Nevermind.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2021, 10:16:52 by Turaglas »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 22 May 2021, 09:19:36 »
Hence my first paragraph was in Sarcasm Mode.

I'm sure anyone who knows how valuable MechWarriors are, especially in the Dark Age, would know not to treat them as expendable slave material.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 22 May 2021, 09:31:46 »
Hence my first paragraph was in Sarcasm Mode.

I'm sure anyone who knows how valuable MechWarriors are, especially in the Dark Age, would know not to treat them as expendable slave material.
Unless, of course, the Locusts belonged to a century from the Cohors Morituri.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #39 on: 22 May 2021, 09:51:19 »
Unless, of course, the Locusts belonged to a century from the Cohors Morituri.

Only if it was needed to send the Suicide Squad to a target.  Irony is Morituri who didn't die and failed are already dead men.  They'd just get reassigned or executed most likely unless they survive long enough to be pardoned.  Not Legio VI plebs/possibly patrician citizen mechwarriors.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 22 May 2021, 09:52:01 »
They were VI Legio.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #41 on: 22 May 2021, 09:55:40 »
I'll be checking to see if this passage can be slightly changed.
As always, if you see something that you believe is an error, please post it to its respective errata thread.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #42 on: 22 May 2021, 09:57:30 »
I'll be checking to see if this passage can be slightly changed.
As always, if you see something that you believe is an error, please post it to its respective errata thread.

Now that I know it's there I will chime in constructively.  Thanks Greekfire.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2021, 10:10:29 by Turaglas »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #43 on: 22 May 2021, 14:34:04 »
Turaglas has already posted the suggestion that they change from selling them as slaves to sending them to the Cohors Mortuori, which I think is perfect, an option to add would be that they lose their title of Patricians, and if we look at corporal punishment that they Give them a good whipping, mark them and send them to the Mortuori ideas that come to me mixing discipline of the Roman Legions with the laws of the Marian Hegemony.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #44 on: 24 May 2021, 10:15:18 »
=== MODERATOR DIRECTIVE ===

Take the 'Mech upgrade discussions to the BattleMech subforum under the Fan Designs board.  It does not belong in this part of the forums.

To facilitate that, the discussion has been moved for you.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2021, 11:27:56 »
Well seeing that the Rec Guide 16 the only thing that it has brought is ignorance about the hegemonic setting, and in the writing it makes us appear like cobblestones without a brain, I do not count the LCT-3M because we already had it, we will have to wait until the REc Guide 17 to see if a crumb falls out or if they make us appear like hopeless rompers or something that is manufactured but seeing that they have not even commented on something about a local design of two models that we know are manufactured as the Locust and the Commando

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2021, 14:49:14 »
As disappointing as it is, the only surprise I found that actually fits is that Legio VI kept run down locusts with how often their mechs were in a dismal state of disrepair.  Granted you'd think the proxy invasion would have changed that with parts and supplies or breathing room from the Capellans.

Back to it though, there are barely any noteworthy Periphery references in general apart from some minor Randis, Canopian, and Taurian content.  Which is a given, it's a Sea Fox (lol) perspective guide focusing on core designs in the IS for House and Clan bringing old to new again.  Nothing in it really pops out at me so far in general.  I wouldn't expect the Marian manufacturing to get a mention in it nor am I going to be upset because I don't expect significant content Periphery bound for some time.  Except maybe with the Capellan vs Clans and the attached Canopian forces.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2021, 15:04:15 by Turaglas »

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2021, 15:10:25 »
As disappointing as it is, the only surprise I found that actually fits is that Legio VI kept run down locusts with how often their mechs were in a dismal state of disrepair.  Granted you'd think the proxy invasion would have changed that with parts and supplies or breathing room from the Capellans.

Back to it though, there are barely any noteworthy Periphery references in general apart from some minor Randis, Canopian, and Taurian content.  Which is a given, it's a Sea Fox (lol) perspective guide focusing on core designs in the IS for House and Clan bringing old to new again.  Nothing in it really pops out at me so far in general.  I wouldn't expect the Marian manufacturing to get a mention in it nor am I going to be upset because I don't expect significant content Periphery bound for some time.  Except maybe with the Capellan vs Clans and the attached Canopian forces.

Your conclusion is more than possible, the Fluff VI Legio thing bothered me more the ignorance of Marian laws and formations than the ridicule of those Locust

As for mentions of the periphery, I would not be surprised if there were little or no mentions in the Rec Guie, perhaps in that year 3151 there were some mentions in Ilclan's book but I estimate that few since it is more oriented to the reactions of the houses to the Earth's fall into the hands of the Wolves

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2021, 16:34:34 »

Your conclusion is more than possible, the Fluff VI Legio thing bothered me more the ignorance of Marian laws and formations than the ridicule of those Locust

As for mentions of the periphery, I would not be surprised if there were little or no mentions in the Rec Guie, perhaps in that year 3151 there were some mentions in Ilclan's book but I estimate that few since it is more oriented to the reactions of the houses to the Earth's fall into the hands of the Wolves

I'm not mad about at Legio VI's scouting lance being in rough shape.  It was a surprise they followed FM3145 when the rest of the entry wasn't done with terminology or history in mind.  That it was Marian scout century at all is filler, they were showcasing that Locusts are fragile and we just happened to be it.  Like sure, the Marians went into two theaters without preparing for an actual conflict or for ground to hold, or were written to have any common sense.  Would it sound feasible all the resources they got into attacking the Tamarind forces the Capellans meant they'd also get parts to get tertiary legions repaired fully? 

Who knows.  Short of correcting the terminology which we've done to death, it's not worth caring about until Ilclan finally makes headway.  The Recguides are working on short word counts as it is.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2021, 17:21:21 »
Surely, even IlClan we won't have anything of importance from Fluff Marian except this they took out.
The maintenance of the Legio is very curious because except for the VI Legio that had a low maintenance in comparison but it was nothing similar in the other Legio that were at 90/100% of their capacity or even more.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #50 on: 25 May 2021, 01:21:22 »
Apart from what happened to V, I don't know anything. 

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 25 May 2021, 02:48:27 »
Surely, even IlClan we won't have anything of importance from Fluff Marian except this they took out.
The maintenance of the Legio is very curious because except for the VI Legio that had a low maintenance in comparison but it was nothing similar in the other Legio that were at 90/100% of their capacity or even more.

They are using the VI Legio unit rules for disrepair from FM3145. Although it's ridiculous that it's still in that state 5 years after that book.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2021, 06:10:11 »
They are using the VI Legio unit rules for disrepair from FM3145. Although it's ridiculous that it's still in that state 5 years after that book.

Evidently Legio III still suffers wide morale problems decades later.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2021, 06:41:20 »
Although that is still plausible(there is another IS unit with long-term morale issues), keeping your front line units "run-down" in a life-or-death war is absurd, especially when the MHAF could re-form a lost Legio but have another existing Legio shorted of supplies.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2021, 08:04:28 »
I'd say that's being vague and deliberately careful not to wash in significant losses on either side.  It might be foreshadowing a much more important conflict in the future if anything.  Might take a year or two.  I just realized there were dissidents in the Wolf ranks wanting to rejoin the FWL thanks to Recguides and you obviously have the Canopus-Andurien situation waiting to pop open.

Biggest casualty loss is a Legion that for all intents and purposes, was just sentence filler as it didn't exist for three books.  The rest seem to be Tertia and Auxilia, which just screams filler to me.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2021, 08:06:34 by Turaglas »

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2021, 09:14:03 »
As Baldur Mekorig noted, the Hegemony is being treated as a mook faction.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2021, 15:35:07 »
I don't feel like we have mustaches large enough for that.  Nor are they green.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #57 on: 25 May 2021, 20:07:21 »
They need a "bad" fool and incompetent apparently when no Legion is "Regular", all or most are Veterans and only one with supply problems, theoretically Legions with Discipline, Veteran and Very good Material but inexplicably they behave like idiots, their commanders according to the same Field Manual are the most experienced in combat, tactics and strategy of the periphery, the only conclusion is that a sacrificial lamb was needed

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 25 May 2021, 23:17:21 »
Yeah. Don't worry. With Daoshen fixated on taking Terra, the neoFWL and Andurien will soon have plenty of prime territory in the other direction to conquer. Canopus will be distracted and a Marian counterattack will drive them out at the least.

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #59 on: 26 May 2021, 02:09:44 »
They need a "bad" fool and incompetent apparently when no Legion is "Regular", all or most are Veterans and only one with supply problems, theoretically Legions with Discipline, Veteran and Very good Material but inexplicably they behave like idiots, their commanders according to the same Field Manual are the most experienced in combat, tactics and strategy of the periphery, the only conclusion is that a sacrificial lamb was needed

Well, they still act experienced.  I'm going to pretend the ratings are flat for context here.  So, they retreated after fighting protracted withdrawals against superior numbers.  When encircled in Tamarind borders they knew when to break out and were able to hold worlds that Tamarind hasn't retaken yet.  However, no amount of confidence should strip you of the common sense knowing the entire FWL could turn around and overrun you if it absolutely wanted to.  I'm not overly a fan of this Capellan scenario mainly because I hate proxy opfors and know once you finish your objective you'll be discarded even faster than pmcs and mercs are.  It would have made more sense and, probably would have been cheaper to hire pirates to false flag (this setting seems to trope in BT) the Marians and Tamarind and just let natural animosity take over.  This would have opened up more chances to finally introduce a written Caesar again since Julius in a narrative and try diplomacy with the factions around like his wife from the Rim Commonality. 

Part of an issue with this contrivance of expanding into multiple theaters is overstepping operational effectiveness.  Intel should know sending unprepared and ill equipped forces east aren't going to be able to hold out simply because of basic attrition.  As well as major factions can just buy up every magically available merc and zerg them in if they can't fill in native regiments. 

Yeah. Don't worry. With Daoshen fixated on taking Terra, the neoFWL and Andurien will soon have plenty of prime territory in the other direction to conquer. Canopus will be distracted and a Marian counterattack will drive them out at the least.

Well, it also means the FWL can overtly support cutting off the Hegemony before focusing on Andurien.  The Canopians might have gotten mauled by the Highlanders soaking up for the Capellans but they're not stretched to the point they need to withdraw.