Author Topic: What world would you be King of?  (Read 5589 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
What world would you be King of?
« on: 12 December 2022, 13:14:16 »
3135 . . . the HPGs are out, the Inner Sphere is in chaos, everyone is arming as fast as they can- going so far as to use improvised weapons like armed IndiMechs, the Republic is collapsing, thus Stone's peace is dead . . .

. . . if you were not a noble but could raise a army even if it is old cast off (old SW) or improvised gear (armed IndiMechs & Exoskeletons) what single polity world (AKA, Hegemony worlds out but Niops would be fair game) as of the 3135 maps of the Periphery map would you set out to make yourself king of?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: What world would you be King of?
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2022, 14:21:49 »
Herotitus. Bring back the New Hedons. Party hard until the space phones come back on (and then use those space phones to sell the videos that got made for profit!).
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2022, 16:56:39 »
Herotitus. Bring back the New Hedons. Party hard until the space phones come back on (and then use those space phones to sell the videos that got made for profit!).

Herotitus is part of the Fron Reaches by that time.

I would choose Sterope. Good developent standards, nice enough of a planet, good amount of population, and two military factories.

Wynn's Roost is another good option if you want to play "empire builder" without much IS intervention.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2022, 17:09:12 »
Lol, I knew Herotitus was in the Reaches but I was going to let him run with his Girls Gone Wild: Herotitus daydream.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2022, 18:26:50 »
Lol, I knew Herotitus was in the Reaches but I was going to let him run with his Girls Gone Wild: Herotitus daydream.
Hey, it was more than a dream for a few decades before the Reaches were a thing.

Jokes aside, probably not doing that. It got pretty uh... drukhari-esque at points. Also, good reminder I ought to brush up on Fronc lore.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2022, 18:38:57 »
Astrokaszy, we need to get that desert power in order to fight the Marian Hegemony

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2022, 18:44:30 »
Von Strang’s World

The Ravenloft of the Inner Sphere
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2022, 19:16:28 »
Astrokaszy, we need to get that desert power in order to fight the Marian Hegemony

FWL planet
Colt Ward

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2022, 19:32:44 »
FWL planet

For now...

That said the Outworld Wastes might become very interesting in the ilClan era. If I took a Waste world I could sell stuff to the Ravens. Its a pity we only get one example of the Wastes in Wynn's Roost because the Trader's Domain has such an interesting history

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2022, 20:44:00 »
In order of preference: El Dorado, Mizar, Terra's Belt, Nanking, or Wynn's Roost. As answered in a similar question, my actions would be:

1. Arrange the equivalents of a few billion dollars in a low-risk, secure trust fund for myself
2. Get a pardon for anything annoying I've done
3. Hand over operations to the existing, professional, quite competent governments
4. Tender my resignation letter to the government
5. Break the dark magical artifact that somehow put me in power
6. Retire to my estate and money, allowing competent leaders to run the place

The estate would be an isolated home that would:

1. Be far from 'Mech factories, starports, and capitols
2. Close to a good hospital. I'm interested in the century+ lifetimes on El Dorado, Mizar, and Nanking
3. Have a nice little fusion generator
4. Have a giant personal library
5. Have a lazy river with swim-up bar
6. Have an Olympic sized ball pit
7. Have a hidden, secret office behind a bookshelf
8. Have a "gym" with some "personal trainers", if not as many as Aban Kayani. I don't want to seem sleazy. ;)

I'm leaning toward El Dorado because it seems like the place can defend itself, keep up a good standard of living, and is pretty well run. Nanking's a little more politically dodgy, but wealthy and well defended. Mizar: beautiful world, wealthy, well protected, but not as populous or defended as the preceding two. Belters: custom-made paradises beginning to tap the endless resource wealth of space, and generally overlooked. Wynn's Roost: not cutting edge, but out of the way, well off, and overlooked if it doesn't cheese off the Ravens.

« Last Edit: 13 December 2022, 20:47:09 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #10 on: 14 December 2022, 18:28:01 »
I don 't know where that library is. But I want it.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 14 December 2022, 19:45:49 »
I don 't know where that library is. But I want it.
With you on that one brother!  :thumbsup:

Personally, I think Cray hit the nail on the head: wealthy but out of the way of the pushy.  Let THEM figure out how to run a multi-planetary polity.  One is more than enough if you can bring yourself to acknowledge the outer system exists!  8)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #12 on: 14 December 2022, 19:52:24 »
[snip]
The estate would be an isolated home that would:

1. Be far from 'Mech factories, starports, and capitols
2. Close to a good hospital. I'm interested in the century+ lifetimes on El Dorado, Mizar, and Nanking
3. Have a nice little fusion generator
4. Have a giant personal library
5. Have a lazy river with swim-up bar
6. Have an Olympic sized ball pit
7. Have a hidden, secret office behind a bookshelf
8. Have a "gym" with some "personal trainers", if not as many as Aban Kayani. I don't want to seem sleazy. ;)
Well those things can fit on one DropShip, and you can place the Estate DropShip nearly everywhere. It might even be possible to put it all in a single Small Craft and thus also avoid the attention that a DropShip receives.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 14 December 2022, 20:21:06 »
Yeah, but you need a large enough population to avoid inbreeding...  ^-^

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2022, 22:32:05 »
Niops, of course. ;D

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2022, 12:13:00 »
I would rule over Leviathan's Rest from the Rimward Deep Periphery map in ISP3.

Then I would submit a Touring the Stars style essay/description with scenarios that I would expect to be rebuffed. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2022, 12:13:58 »
Fan Fiction exists...  ^-^

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2022, 20:26:09 »
I would rule over Leviathan's Rest from the Rimward Deep Periphery map in ISP3.

I forgot all about that world. Those damn tease writers...
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #18 on: 22 December 2022, 19:17:03 »
Frobisher for me. I wanna be king of the fish-people.

Niops, of course. ;D

That's three worlds, cheater.  ;D
« Last Edit: 22 December 2022, 19:18:39 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #19 on: 22 December 2022, 21:43:39 »
Frobisher for me. I wanna be king of the fish-people.

Hail mighty Dagon, long may you reign.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #20 on: 23 December 2022, 11:27:52 »
Hail mighty Dagon, long may you reign.

Thank you, I shall.

I think our national anthem will be "Just Keep Swimming" from Finding Nemo. It seems... appropriate.  :D
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #21 on: 23 December 2022, 21:41:03 »
Thank you, I shall.

I think our national anthem will be "Just Keep Swimming" from Finding Nemo. It seems... appropriate.  :D

Or Bad Fish by Sublime!

Won't somebody get me off of this reef...
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Ramblefire

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 24 December 2022, 11:38:35 »
Or Bad Fish by Sublime!

Won't somebody get me off of this reef...
Can't go wrong with Baby Shark.

Thread Tax: Vixen probably.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2022, 13:12:20 by Ramblefire »

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #23 on: 25 December 2022, 03:43:01 »
Can't go wrong with Baby Shark.

Yes, you absolutely can go wrong with Baby Shark. I definitely don't want some annoying children's song as my national anthem, thank you.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #24 on: 25 December 2022, 04:02:17 »
Yes, you absolutely can go wrong with Baby Shark. I definitely don't want some annoying children's song as my national anthem, thank you.

Tassa Kay doot doo dedoot dedoot
Tassa Kay doot doo dedoot dedoot
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2022, 02:34:45 »
It’s adjacent to What Does The Fox Say as the Sea Fox anthem.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 29 January 2023, 09:17:45 »
Cray, speaking of libraries, I was recently privileged to visit this one:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 29 January 2023, 17:39:13 »
i like it
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 29 January 2023, 17:51:34 »
One of these days, they may even open it back up to public tours...  ^-^

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #29 on: 29 January 2023, 20:12:21 »
Of course, I know where that is. Indubitably. But there may be others perusing this thread who aren't as familiar with that particular library...
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #30 on: 29 January 2023, 20:14:46 »
Are you local?  Arkansas Warrior recently moved into the area too...  ^-^

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #31 on: 04 February 2023, 17:18:38 »
Cray, speaking of libraries, I was recently privileged to visit this one:

Pentagon?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #32 on: 04 February 2023, 19:19:58 »
Nope, I can go to that one on any given workday (and it's not nearly that impressive)... ;)

Register