Author Topic: Battalion retrospective IV - Back to the Boogaloo  (Read 2375 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Battalion retrospective IV - Back to the Boogaloo
« on: 14 May 2019, 04:34:59 »
It's been three years since I last did one of these, so ... let's take another boogaloo back down battalion memory lane. Hang on folks, it's a long ride ...

I like making combined arms battallions (and I will not lie ...) The goal is to have at least the 5 Great Houses plus mercs for each major era, plus Clans I find appealing in period. This kicked off in 2012, and has continued in fits & starts for the last 7 years. So, for the record (yet again), here's the collection so far.

In the Star League

Elements of the 138th Mechanised Division ("The Chicago Division"). After the fall of the Star League, and the cowardly retreat of Kerensky, the Chicago Division protect a rag-tag band of refugees, seeking the mythical "safe place" to call home ... An ideal place to use my original BattleDroids minis.

4th Succession War: when Max was mad.

Units from the 12th Galedon. I'd just done a "wall of Templars" unit (further below), and wanted to go classic & light. The 12th fit this perfectly especially as they often hive off forces to act as scouts for heavier units. Mainly plastics - IIRC, the Ostscout is the only metal mini. The strange vees are kitbashed Weapons Carriers, and 10-ton hover APCs in LRM variant. Making the infantry motorised saved on APC minis ;)

The 14th Lyran Guard. I like to think it's a classic Lyran "heavy/light" mix, and was worth getting the Swiftwinds.

Now we can't do an era without covering everyone, even if that means having Davionista ;) So here's the 1st Capellan Dragoons - a lovely unit made up of Capellan traitors and massacre-hungry mercenaries  >:D Just how I like'em! And I think the counterpaint scheme came out nicely.

Opponents for the Capellan Dragoons - Devon's Armored Infantry. A great example of "parade scheme as camo" - the muted greens & browns fit into most temperate terrain. LIke with the CapDrag, I tried to get a good house-linked mix of units - the availablility of plastics from a couple of 3rd Ed box sets helped enormously here.

A labour of love. I managed to assemble a whole company of metal Unseen minis, so decided to go with a classic 3025 merc unit. Roman's Bar Hounds, of the Fighting Uruk-Hai - why not have all the copyright violations in one place? Accompanied by matching vehicles & armour, they're ready to duke out any battle in the 4th War & pre-Invasion era.

Some Periphery snazzies courtesy of the Magistracy Cavaliers. The countershading builds on my patented ( ;) ) Worktroll White technique, plus the snow basing came courtesy of interior wall gap filler.

The 2nd Regular Hussars take advantage of some Classics - the Shadow Hawk and Flea - and the newest Marauder sculpt, for a classic Marik combined arms solution to nuisance Capellans.

We couldn't go through the 4th War era without featuring Waco's Rangers at their prime. Before becoming fixated on the 'Goons, the Rangers were a highly considered unit with excellent tech ratings. The period of employment by the Federated Suns was probably the only time the Rangers integrated armour and infantry.

And lastly, you thought the Uruk-Hai were bad - here's a whole company of LAMs from the Marik Guard. It was a challenge to use them in a combined-arms unit - the regiment wasn't - so here they're pictured in support of a Marik Liberation Unit (aka guerillas) operating on a Lyran planet.

* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Re: Battalion retrospective IV - Back to the Boogaloo
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2019, 04:44:21 »
The Invasion - prepare to repel Clanners!

My Marik Militia battalion was the first one completed to battalion size. This unit is a testament to the power of purple. Marik Militia, useable anywhere from 3025 to 3055 by subtracting or adding the BA. Notable in that all the 'Mechs are plastic - some PlasTech, some intro box.

Some opfor - a Trinary from the 7th Jaguar Dragoons, Alpha Galaxy. (Funny - I seem to enjoy doing all other Dragoon schemes, but only did the Wolfie Ds once. Curious. Just say I'm anti-AMC ;) The mix of front-line and second-line 'Mechs suggests later in the period, but a solid star of DA Elementals is a perfect accompaniment for any occasion.

Next, the 4th Arkab Legion battalion. I liked the Arkab background, and it allowed a mix of old and new to work together. Plus, they were going to be allowed to look more beaten up & less "out of the box" than some other DCMS units. I had a lance of "Mechs already in that scheme, so this was my first case of having to colour match different paints (the old ones having dried out in intervening years.)

And some more opfor. The 17th Jaguar Regulars of Psi Galaxy are ready to rumble, especially with my CCG-version Black Lanner. No ducks allowed!

The honour of the Dragon is maintained by forces from the Ryuken-Ni, who served on Luthien. The newness of both battle armour and C3 technology can be seen in the TO&E.

And at last, representatives of the forces of Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon regiment. I've tended to avoid the 'Goons for a number of reasons, but this lot came together particularly well, and is a less-featured part of the 'Goons.

Look up "Davion unit" in the warbook, and you're likely to find "See also Deneb Light Cavalry". More representative than the DAG or DHG, these members of the 15th show the FedSun flair with medium and cavalry units.

Back in the Celestial Kingdom, Warrior House Dai Da Chi rock the casbah in tastefully understated metallic green, all the better to serve the Chancellor.

While the 15th Lyran Regulars have a heavy/light mix which provides more flexibility than most opponents expect from the stereotypically "wall of metal" units.

Schwarz' Foresters are a typical, slightly more successful than average merc unit who actually managed to survive against the Smoke Jaguars. Trading their salvage in for hard cash, they replaced their 'Mech losses, and recruited some armour and infantry for support.

And don't blink, or you'll miss the FRR contingent (at least, until they return as a Bear franchise in the FCCW era): 3rd Hussars.

The FedCom Civil War - You came back from outer space with that look upon your face

The Orloff Grenadiers 'Mechs existed as a company before the MM company, but got bulked out to battalion size later. Note at this stage I wasn't as pedantic about providing transport for the PBI and BA; may have to revisit that ...

The 7th Crucis Lancers, featuring the Sword of Whap - an old forum meme, and not the last meme to be featured here. A good medium-weight FedSuns force.

From the other side, the 5th Alliance Guards in a Syrian inspired desert camo scheme are equally ready to rumble for the Archon:

The 16th Legion of Vega are strutting their stuff with new equipment, marking their resurgance under the Kanrei's care.

Next, the Heavy Hell Raisers - a battalion sized merc unit formed by an ex-Capellan Special Forces major. Unlike most of my battalions, this isn't a representative force of the unit - this is the unit. Also notable for the smattering of conventional ASFs.

And for those of us who remember the forum connectivity shenanigans of a couple of years ago, the ComStar 504th "Gateway" division - ostensibly a training unit based in the Combine providing 'finishing school' touches to recent gratuates of ComStar's academies.

And some more opfor - an assault Nova from the homeworld heavies, Clan Star Adder.

To round this period off, a Cluster of Jade Falcon Delta Galaxy. A Binary of OmniMechs, a Binary of second-line units, and a Trinary of battle armour are pressed into the desperate fighting in the Inner Sphere that follows the Refusal War.

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2019, 04:46:32 »
Jumpin' Jihad

Let's kick off with Hansen's Roughriders. Their origins lost in the mists of FASA-era fact-checking, they were unashamedly heavy, unashamedly Lyran-fancying, and handed Wolf's Dragoons their asses on Hesperus II. (There's a trend, you think?). Currently taking names & breaking things against the Taurians.

The WoB mob. I found a good way to turn out tabletop quality white, and suddenly found I had a few Level IIs worth of units. The next step was obvious - Level III! The late Jihad era allowed me to use a great mix of canon alternate & a few non-canon units.

And someone to wipe all that white up - a reinforced battalion of the 2nd Sword of Light. What, they're busy? Fighting DCMS? Something must be wrong! No, it's just those good ol' boy Black Dragons up to their whacky hijinks!

The 12th Atrean Dragoons. My Marik tendencies should be clear by now, and this allowed me to mix DA and IWM again. The 'Mechs got a lot of modding, mainly reposing, although I'm proudest of the burning Orion - my solution to an old CityTech plastic with a major gouge.

The Clans weren't exactly left out of the fun either. I chose to immortalise a solhama trinary for Clan Jade Falcon's Omega Galaxy, which meant I could have lots of fun with composition ...

While the Citizens Honored of the 4th Tau Ceti Rangers are ready to stomp anyone not dazzled by the reflections off their very sharp augumented battalion!

Oops! same time, wrong pic ;)

A battalion from the 2nd Crucis Lancers battalion. This lot started with the "wall of Templars", and the general size of the minis involved made using DA vehicles work very well.I had lots of fun with the engineering vehicles too!

Meanwhile, II Cohort, IV Legion of the Marians is laying the smack down on the Illyrians. This bandit-hunting force surely has nothing to fear in the periphery, while the core worlds burn ...

The Capellans haven't always been my most favourite faction, but they do grow on one, don't they? Some Capellan Reserve Cavalry units, their green and tan scheme inspired by Soviet MERDC-equivalents.

And the Tamar Cavaliers enjoy a brief and gaudy resurgance, before meeting their end at the hands of Clan Jade Falcon. Notably contains at least one member of the MCU ...

And .. the best (or worst) saved for last. Scratch elements of the Light of Mankind who deployed in Cairo, and fought so well and for so long the Coalition was forced to go Smoke Jaguar on their asses ...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2019, 04:48:37 »

The Republic Eras - The Stoner Age

This Kell Hounds mixed force was for fun - set in the shortly post-Jihad, early Republic era, it let me mix things up with an infantry & BA heavy force. The 'Mechs here are less emphasised, which fits into the period. I like to imagine them enforcing Stone's forced emigration and disarmament programs ...

Now the Lyrans aren't my favourite faction, but I decided the Donegals needed some attention. I'd done half a dozen assaults & heavy 'Mechs in their colours before accidentally leaving the lid off the paint I was using. Paint-matching against one of the "lost" Citadel colours was a real pain, but I'm very happy with the outcome.

Some Republic loving - the RotS Standing Guard from Skye allowed me to use a lot of minis I'd have trouble deploying in other periods & factions, and I really liked the paintscheme:

The fractured League gets attention, even in the midst of its troubles. The 40th Marik Militia enter the scene, in their variation of the "Grapes of Wrath" scheme. A later creation, we're starting to see some of the more recent minis popping up.

And Taurian time at last! The 1st Taurian Lancers, with a mix of old and new equipment.

The Okina Shigoto merc unit won its name while in service to the Draconis Combine, facing off against the Bear Dominion. They then decided they wanted life a little more interesting, and have taken a contract with the Lyrans facing the Jade Falcons ...

(And this is why I put all my "big jobs" into one unit ... when the Javelin is giving the Banshee feelings of insecurity ;))

The Okina Shigoto might well face opposition such as this Cluster from the 8th Falcon Regulars, Epsilon Galaxy. Built to experiment with combined-arms combat, the Cluster failed to survive the Rending, remaining hostile to Malvina Hazen to the end.

The Drawing of the Dark - or at least, the painting

Moving into the Dark Age timeline, the Raging Horde mercs maintain their all-BA, all-the-time brand of mayhem in a snazzy Martian-inspired camo scheme. TO be honest, this unit was more or less to settle a bet - can you make Alpha Strike formations from just BA? Yes, and here we have Command, Fire Support, and Recon formations!

I've tended to avoud Clan Hell's Horses - they're too rational & sensible for Clanners, I always felt. But their Dark Age Mongol philosophy makes them interesting again! So here'a heavy Trinary from the 65th Mechanised Strike Cluster, Delta Galaxy:

Now I've always enjoyed most of the earlier MechWarrior paintjobs. They were well done, with considerable detail, and attractive colour schemes on the whole. So I'm going to do battalions in those schemes, based on the units referenced in the MW literature. First of these was this augmented battalion of the 9th Confederation Reserve Cavalry. Aug battalions are so much fun to organise and assemble, and so versatile!

Then we have the 43rd Benjamin Regulars for the DCMS, in a nicely restrained red-brown. They include the first Saladin IIs I've seen anywhere ...

And that's it for the moment. Currently in the pipeline:

* Fusiliers of Oriente, Dark Age
* Davion battalion, Dark Age (tbd)
* The Red Hunters - Duke Ricol's personal guard, 4th War era
* 2nd St Ives Lancers, FCCW era
* 12th Falcon Regulars, Invasion era
* Dark Keshick, Clan Wolf Omega Galexy, FCCW era
* Tikonov Republican Guards, of the Free Tikonov Republic, 4th War (blink and you'll miss them too)
* Bannson's Raiders, Dark Age

I've got most of the bits I need for the first 4-5, so that'll keep me busy for a little while.

For the record, my most productive year was 2016 with 10 units completed, and my most productive month seems to be March. Go figure ;)

Cheers, and thanks for making it this far. And if anyone wants to talk bulk painting techniques, let me know!

W.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2019, 15:29:09 »
Wow!

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2019, 16:49:26 »
I've painted 87 Battletech miniatures since I returned 10 years ago... I thought I was doing OK until I realized that is what?, 2 months of work for you...  :lol:

They are all very nice and I see lots of unseen goodness, and more than a few custom pieces mixed in... I also like all of your VTOL support. Even though I've only got a handful of them total, they are some of my favorite units (not in game terms, but more in concept)...

I noticed your To-Do list... If you keep on at this rate you'll have that knocked out by the end of the year.

Caz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2019, 20:09:38 »
 :o :o :o

That is QUITE the collection there, Worktroll… WOW!  :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2019, 23:38:46 »
 :popcorn:

That was a great viewing WT!  I don't know the story behind the Sword of Whap, but I love that Axman. 8)

I thought I had a lot of minis, but now I realize I'm only scratching the surface. :bow:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2019, 14:40:47 »
Thanks for the kind words! I've been painting BT minis since 1984 or so, but the Battalion kick cut in about 7 years ago. So it's not like this was all overnight.

Cazaril, I may do a battalion in the time you do a 'Mech, but I'm not working at your level. Reproducability and assembly-lining are the keys. I may have to resurrect my A Call to War threads - they lost their images when SolVII went down  :'( - as they give a good idea of the process. But as long as we're doing what makes us happy. That's the only reason to paint, right?

Valk, you spend 35 years on a hobby & let me know where you end up ;)You're picking up skills of your own, as we've seen. Keep up the good work!

W.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2019, 15:08:06 »
really  nice looking force! Kudos to you sir

Schwerpunkt Prinzip

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2019, 18:50:22 »
My mind is blown. :D Wow. What a retrospective. Thank you for sharing.

I've been painting BT minis since 1984

I was born in 1984... ;D
Quote from: worktroll
He's named after a Roman Emperor, and appears to be Elemental phenotype. Levitation's a cinch! :D

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2019, 19:29:53 »
I was born in 1984... ;D

Why do you think WorkTroll's avatar has a long white beard!?  :D

I may have to resurrect my A Call to War threads - they lost their images when SolVII went down  :'( - as they give a good idea of the process.

Solaris VII is back, they just don't host pictures anymore... I went to SmugMug. It isn't free, but it is unlimited photos, plus security controls. And I don't have ads, watermarks or problems linking my photos...
« Last Edit: 16 May 2019, 19:35:38 by Cazaril »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2019, 19:34:54 »
I started painting well before that - started on Airfix plane kits, went through 35mm militaria, then moved to RPG figures (AD&D, Traveller mainly). Most of my oldest BT minis are painted using the techniques from Tamiya soldiers.

Drybrushing, then use of washes & inks, was a total revelation.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2019, 08:49:40 »
Damn those look fan-ta-bu-lous! Makes me want to re-take and repost up all my battlions/companies again, but then i'd just look like I'm copying the true master.

Nice job as always WorkTroll
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2019, 14:01:06 »
It's not copying; I'd love to see them! I admit these aren't re-takes - just pillaging my online archives.

W.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2019, 14:14:49 »
It's not copying; I'd love to see them! I admit these aren't re-takes - just pillaging my online archives.

W.

Well...I guess I need to break out the Ol' Camera, Lights, and a display board! ;)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2019, 14:56:29 »
 :thumbsup:

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2019, 05:34:56 »
 :o

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2019, 12:10:39 »
WOW!! a lot of WOW!! :thumbsup:

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2019, 00:24:40 »
Excellent work Worktroll!

I paint in companies of 12 though.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 02 June 2019, 20:23:20 »
Very nice work Worktroll   :thumbsup: :clap: :rockon:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #21 on: 05 June 2019, 14:57:25 »
Nice collection. All those repurposed Epic Imperial Tanks!

Speaking of Tanks, are those Packrat LRPVs for your 12th Galedon?

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 06 June 2019, 16:59:00 »
Yup. Got to get some more sometime.

Thanks for the kind comments, all!

W.