Author Topic: Wolf's Dragoons company. This time Alpha.  (Read 1477 times)

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
Wolf's Dragoons company. This time Alpha.
« on: 18 May 2019, 07:09:12 »
As it seems everybody has some Wolf's Dragoons or at least knows someone who should have. But usually it is the Wolfspider Bataillon, black with red details.
When i faced the typical WD mechs in my inventory (something like a Firefly or an Annihilator), i decided not to paint more Wolfspiders. I wanted a different paint scheme and ended with Alpha regiments redish/rust brown with black highlights. Some say it is Wolfspiders inverted, but i like it as a different scheme.
The company composition is based primarly on the minis available at the time, so a Marauder II or Gallowglas were not included as they were already painted as part of other units. Other mechs were added if they were known to be of mercenary heritage in order to complete an entire company. Painting took long enough (estimated 2 1/2 years...), but finally it is gameready...

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
Re: Wolf's Dragoons company. This time Alpha.
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2019, 07:17:09 »
Adding some separate pictures.
The Flea was a horrific bad mold. I needed several hours and a whole set of files to get it into shape. Result should be quite respectable for such a pos.
The Tarantula has been extensivly modified to a standing position (or position right after landing).
The Falcon should have been not that complicated, but while hacking away the base rim, the mini snapped in its knees. So anybody else be warned: weak knees  xp
The Hussar faced a minor mod, but the cannon is magnetised and can face anywhere. I also got rid of the original base in order to position the arms a little bit more freely, but it turned out the other way. Well, i finished it anyways...

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2019, 07:24:21 »
The next lance did not face that kind of rework the others did, but the Hoplite was the start of the project. I decided on his paint job to finish the rest as Alpha regiment, but i was not able to replicate that exact color mix again. The Verfolger might show the biggest differences as i tried a different approach.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2019, 07:28:57 »
The assault lance added a Black Watch instead of a Marauder II because the Marauder II was already painted as a Lyran Guard.
The Imp has been modified just a little bit. Reposing the large laser arm was easy enough to get it into a more realistic position.

That's it on my side. Time to get them to a table. :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2019, 08:15:06 »
That is a very nice rust red!  :thumbsup:

Juodas Varnas

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2019, 08:43:41 »
Love the Tarantula's repose!

Especially the fact that it fits on a hex!

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2019, 09:08:35 »
Love the Tarantula's repose!

Especially the fact that it fits on a hex!

Thanks, but be warned: the base is a special purpose built oversized base. (The one on the left side of the pic)
Still way smaller than the original base.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2019, 10:09:02 »
Excellent work! 8) :thumbsup:  Always enjoy seeing a different side of the Dragoons. :)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

dread12

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2019, 16:14:36 »
wow  :D  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2019, 16:20:59 »
That's an excellent unit, sir! Lots of care & attention (not my style at all ;) ), from the shading to the cockpits.

Must say though it's totally put me off ever buying a Black Watch mini. That sucker puts more ugg into ugly!

Now are any vehicles in the future?

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2019, 16:54:21 »
 :thumbsup:

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2019, 04:05:41 »
Must say though it's totally put me off ever buying a Black Watch mini. That sucker puts more ugg into ugly!

Yep, it is a B.U.F.F. But i bought one of every mech from lines 2750 til 3067, so i ended up with one of these. If i have it, why not using it? ;)

Now are any vehicles in the future?

Uncertain by now. A single Zhukov so far is not an entire company. Maybe in the further future after finishing some other projects.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2019, 12:11:08 »
Sweet! :thumbsup: