Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 161746 times)

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #930 on: 19 February 2018, 20:08:11 »
It's too generic to be trademarked. Same way you can run around the web writing "space marine" everywhere without worrying about GW throwing the book at you.

I remember a couple of years ago (or long ago) that they tried to do that. Not sure when it was but ill try to find it and post here.

Edit = https://boingboing.net/2013/02/06/games-workshop-trademark-bully.html

Edit 2 = https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/trademark-bully-thwarted-spots-space-marine-back-online

Reminds me of someone we know doing similar bullying with something we like...
« Last Edit: 19 February 2018, 20:13:00 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #931 on: 19 February 2018, 22:52:08 »
IIRC, the buggy scene was added at Patrick Stewart's insistence, he was a bit of a petrolhead and wanted to have a fun chase scene in the movie.

Not what I got out of 'The Making Of'. While Stewart may have been all for it, that was still the director and producer and the direction they wanted to go with the film.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #932 on: 20 February 2018, 01:08:39 »
If you watch the making of Nemesis on DVD, the director really strongly indicated he was out to make a certain style of film - action - with only a Trek vinear. He didn't seem to pander to anyone, especially the fans.

Um...I would also suggest that was pretty much the approach Justin Lin took with _Star Trek:  Beyond_ ...

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #933 on: 20 February 2018, 03:06:43 »
Not what I got out of 'The Making Of'. While Stewart may have been all for it, that was still the director and producer and the direction they wanted to go with the film.

I'm not saying they didn't set out to make a more action-oriented movie, but from what I've heard Stewart wanted a car chase, and that didn't go against what other creative factors wanted for the movie so it went in.  He'd been pushing for Picard to be a more action-oriented character for years, it was part of why Picard and Riker's roles got swapped in First Contact (though again, there were other factors there -  Picard leading the defence of the Enterprise was stronger thematically, and they wanted to cut Riker's role down so Frakes could devote as much time as possible to actually directing)
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #934 on: 20 February 2018, 03:12:32 »
Not unlike how Shatner got horses into Star Trek V.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #935 on: 20 February 2018, 13:40:16 »
Not unlike how Shatner got horses into Star Trek V.

And Generations. IIRC the horse he rode in that was one of his own.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #936 on: 20 February 2018, 13:54:21 »
And Generations. IIRC the horse he rode in that was one of his own.

Correct.

Blackhorse 6

• Night Stalker Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant
  • Uh huh...
« Reply #937 on: 20 February 2018, 18:01:47 »
Well they seem to have failed there....  ;)

But with the season ending they have the opportunity to set themselves up for success with the "Enterprise" appearing!

Yeah, I laughed myself silly typing that...  ::)

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #938 on: 21 February 2018, 23:40:03 »
One thing that might stop it is if Netflix hit trouble if there’s only distribution in the states on whatever the channel was (I forget) then the fan base may whither that said the likes of Amazon may pick up too

Not really, that is pre-digital thinking. It doesn't really matter how well it does in the US, what matter is global ratings and income from all revenue sources.
It is an entirely different business model than airing it on your own channel and being slave to advertisment and ratings, and licensing it to one country at a time.
Just having to deal with one international distribute (Netflix) means the whole revenue stream is fixed by the subscription fees alone and much more predictable.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #939 on: 23 February 2018, 13:51:06 »
But it does have more than one distribution point. Aside from the USA distribution on CBS All Access and now Netflix - Star Trek: Discovery is on Crave TV in Canada, which is run by Bell Canada/CTV as an alternative to Netflix.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #940 on: 24 March 2018, 18:46:12 »
An unused scene from the last episode of DISCO series 1 was shown at Wondercon and has shown up in a few places online.  I was linked to this one, but it's the DISCO Netflix twitter and the video they shared is not available in the US

https://twitter.com/StarTrekNetflix/status/977686761823350784

I'm sure it'll be findable soon. It's pretty cool

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #941 on: 25 March 2018, 12:18:02 »
Yup, she fits perfectly with them
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #942 on: 25 March 2018, 12:42:34 »
Assuming that scene or similar gets incorporated into series 2, it explains a lot about Discovery's status quo when Burnham came aboard.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #943 on: 19 June 2018, 15:23:20 »
So... troubles with tribles???

Not sure if anyone noticed this but here it is...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-discovery-showrunners-alex-kurtzman-take-1120416

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #944 on: 10 September 2018, 04:11:38 »
Season 2 trailer...

https://youtu.be/0ZGUl_RHuzE

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #945 on: 10 September 2018, 11:27:20 »
when is the release date???
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #946 on: 11 September 2018, 15:37:58 »
when is the release date???

Sometime in January.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #947 on: 11 September 2018, 17:29:15 »
Thing that bothers me with this plot is there dealing with a intergalactic threat.  Canon lore suggests that Federation barely got into the Beta Quadrant (or Alpha), yet their going deal with a Intergalactic threat to the galaxy?!  Admittedly, Discovery game changer, since she breaks canon as in this ship can go ANYWHERE. It's the Tardius.   
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #948 on: 11 September 2018, 20:08:21 »
The spore drive was very odd to me. A huge leap in space travel and it was never talked about again or anything close to it in tech.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #949 on: 11 September 2018, 20:32:37 »
I think the writing gotten too off track of the premise of the universe. Their burning through earlier era, that not suppose to be that developed or hightech.  Adventure suppose to be higher, vs grandscale this upcoming season is.

If Discovery was set in the TNG or bit past that era, i could possibly by what their doing with the show.  It's just off track city when it's in this early era.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #950 on: 11 September 2018, 21:56:09 »
I've already disavowed any claims that ST:D is prime timeline or an actual prequel.  Any names are just a coincidence, yes including the supposed "Klingons".

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #951 on: 12 September 2018, 00:57:38 »
Canon lore suggests that Federation barely got into the Beta Quadrant (or Alpha)

The original Enterprise made it to the very edge of the galaxy, and the Enterprise A made it to the galactic core in canon.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #952 on: 12 September 2018, 03:20:45 »
The original Enterprise made it to the very edge of the galaxy, and the Enterprise A made it to the galactic core in canon.

Note: the "edge of the galaxy" doesn't necessarily mean the edge of the disk as a function of radius, but could mean the top or bottom edge...that's much closer...

As to the "center of the galaxy", I really have nothing other than I seem to recall reading something somewhere that posited that it wasn't the actual center of the Galaxy...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #953 on: 12 September 2018, 06:20:04 »
Not extensively, it pop out briefly and came back which I have to Include original Enterprise brief trip to Andromeda. STO had tendency to do ground breaking for it's time. However, these with Enterprise and her follow-on sisterships of later generations experiencing these incidents happened after words from STD.
However, were talking about Discovery, doing the incredible things  before Enterprise was taken over by Kirk. Last time I check, were also pointing out, that were suppose to be in less high-techish time period, galaxy hopping wasn't normal thing. Delta Quadrant was unheard of, so we run into this problem of Discovery re-writing Star Trek's primary lore for fast ratings, arguably cheapening older shows experiences for fans and wiping out lore.   CBS been arguing with player base this is the prime timeline, which it IS NOT.  Too much been re-done and re-imaged.  If Star Trek Enterprise can AT LEAST get the technology of USS Defiant, during that Mirror-Mirror universe episode done right, then they could have done it with Discovery.

My point, I won't jabber about again.  Is what
I've already disavowed any claims that ST:D is prime timeline or an actual prequel.  Any names are just a coincidence, yes including the supposed "Klingons".
What this guy said.  It's clearly, this is a reimaged Star Trek, this is CBS Canon universe, ITS prime timeline.  I suspect maybe if we the fan base wants to put it, it's they legally can't present the original Star Trek Timeline due to their break up with Viacom.  Movie rights and the Television rights were split down the middle.  That said, it's bad marketing to admit this whole new Trek universe and playing the vague game discounting this different from Gene Roddenberry's original telling of Star Trek.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #954 on: 12 September 2018, 06:39:38 »
Not Discovery related but still Star Trek and re- Picard coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1hKZjCVyM

Whilst its just 'what ifs' and idea spitballing...honestly, i'd watch it.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #955 on: 12 September 2018, 11:46:21 »
Disco going back in time before ST:TOS just really backed themselfs into a corner IMO. Its my problem with Prequels you just limit yourself. The ships look way more advanced than what they should be, and you changed the whole history that we know and love with Star Trek.  If they would of stayed in the Prime timeline, and in the future it would of been better to me.

I almost look at there are now 3 timelines with Star Trek and we will see what happens with the new shows coming out.
Prime.....Kelvin....and Disco. 
They redid the Enterprise and made it about 50% larger and made it look like the refit.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #956 on: 12 September 2018, 12:13:54 »
To be honest I'm still surprised they didn't bother going forward in the timeline like STO have.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #957 on: 12 September 2018, 12:24:28 »
To be honest I'm still surprised they didn't bother going forward in the timeline like STO have.

So then you haven't herd what STO's next update is gonna be called?

Age of Discovery

And no, I'm not kidding...
So the Feddies are getting a third different starting arc (2410, TOS, DISCO), and I would imagine a DISCO event like the Delta, Temporal, and Gamma events. And from the description, even more temporal/dimensional shenanigans.

Oh joy...

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #958 on: 12 September 2018, 14:53:23 »
So then you haven't herd what STO's next update is gonna be called?

Age of Discovery

And no, I'm not kidding...
So the Feddies are getting a third different starting arc (2410, TOS, DISCO), and I would imagine a DISCO event like the Delta, Temporal, and Gamma events. And from the description, even more temporal/dimensional shenanigans.

Oh joy...
Yeah I know, it's because OF the Star Trek Discovery, not because they planned to do that without ST:D in the first place.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #959 on: 12 September 2018, 15:42:21 »
If Discovery was set in the TNG or bit past that era, i could possibly by what their doing with the show.  It's just off track city when it's in this early era.

I keep saying that in this topic. Ignoring the nonsense of Spocks halfsister and the looks of the Klingons the rest would be an interesting plot for a pos TNG/Nemesis series... (and were going to have that to add insult to injury...).