Author Topic: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings  (Read 48677 times)

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
Re: NHL 2019-20, offersheeting and cap beatings
« Reply #450 on: 22 September 2020, 00:30:26 »
Tampa's 1st period power-play was a solid response to their performance in Game #1, and then watching Dallas push the play through the second period and into the third was a lot of fun.  I'm liking the skill and I'm liking the hits in these first two games of the final.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #451 on: 25 September 2020, 22:27:11 »
And game 4 was really good, plenty of offense, but plenty of D, too.  It's a game I'd like to see on NHL Classic Rewind or whatever real soon. 

Tampa wins 5 to 4 in OT.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #452 on: 26 September 2020, 23:30:35 »
Game 5 was even better than game 4, featuring a Dallas Stars win.  It was a real thriller, especially for Stars fans.

Dallas over the Tampa Bay Lightning in double OT 3 to 2

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #453 on: 27 September 2020, 00:31:50 »
Great game to watch.  The Stars are so obviously the underdogs, but are fighting the odds so tenaciously.  I'm really impressed with the play of veterans Pavelski and Perry.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #454 on: 27 September 2020, 19:40:12 »
Yeah, Pavelski is playing at such a high level, it's sad for the Sharks that they let this guy go.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #455 on: 28 September 2020, 22:03:28 »
And so there it is, the Bolts have exorcised their demons from last year and brought home the Cup under rather unusual circumstances.
Kudos to them, and to the runners-up as well for giving it such a good shot.

(At least Steven Stamkos got to appear in one game and scored a goal.)

Sure it's not going to feel quite right, having to win it in a mostly empty arena, but when all is said and done, it's still going to be "Tampa Bay Lightning" on the championship belt.

(And I don't think there needs to be an asterisk associated with the win, since the Bolts had already qualified for the playoffs before the pandemic hit.)

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #456 on: 28 September 2020, 22:42:58 »
One of the more entertaining postseasons in recent memory is in the books.

Congratulations Bolts!
I have spoken.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #457 on: 28 September 2020, 22:57:00 »
Congrats Tampa Bay!

Now it's a quick countdown til the 2020-2021 season begins.

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #458 on: 29 September 2020, 00:18:03 »
Well deserved championship for Tampa!  What a solid team.  Dallas were outmatched, but their winning path to the cup through the Flames, Avalanche, and Golden Knights showed they belonged in the finals.

These were great playoffs to watch.  I'm really glad the bubble concept worked and there were no pandemic interruptions. 

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #459 on: 30 September 2020, 09:51:51 »
After several bumps I n the road the Bolts finally earned their well deserved prize.  They won't lose a whole lot of talent to free agency and should be the favorite next year as well.

It has been reported be Larry Brooks of the NY post that Lundqvist is going to bought out of the final year of his contract.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #460 on: 30 September 2020, 15:06:49 »
It has been reported be Larry Brooks of the NY post that Lundqvist is going to bought out of the final year of his contract.

It's official: https://www.nhl.com/news/henrik-lundqvist-has-contract-bought-out-by-new-york-rangers/c-319244176
I have spoken.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #461 on: 01 October 2020, 02:01:59 »

The greatest Blueshirt should not be shown the door like this.

:(

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #462 on: 01 October 2020, 22:27:17 »
Blueshirts also sent Marc Staal and a 2nd rounder to the Red Wings for [profit]. 

Just kidding, they knew exactly why the did it.  It cuts salary big time, freeing up space for a splash in the free agent market, as they like to do.
« Last Edit: 01 October 2020, 22:30:12 by rebs »

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #463 on: 02 October 2020, 00:27:41 »
I've said it before - the Staal and Henke moves are right for the team to cut salary and to build a winning team.

But it's the wrong move. Lundqvist is the greatest Ranger ever. Period. It will be blasphemy to see him in a new sweater.

The draft on Tuesday will be fun (for those of us who barrack for the Rangers). Heaps of rumours about OEL headed to Vancouver, maybe. That's an exciting young team.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #464 on: 02 October 2020, 00:50:33 »
I like Vancouver, too.  I also like the Avs in the west.  But St. Louis is the 800 pound gorilla in the room there.  They won't go away because of one disappointment of a postseason.

In the east, I like Tampa Bay to repeat.  At least as EC champions, if not the Cup. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #465 on: 04 October 2020, 00:09:01 »
Vegas signs Lehner to a five year deal worth 5 mill per season.  Sounds like a steal.  Goaltending like Lehner provides usually costs more than that.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #466 on: 04 October 2020, 16:18:59 »
Vegas signs Lehner to a five year deal worth 5 mill per season.  Sounds like a steal.  Goaltending like Lehner provides usually costs more than that.

5 Mil a year is a steal.  I think Lehner could have gotten a bit more money AAV had he tested the market, but not term.  Assuming he doesn't have a total melt down going into his downside years this contract is gold.  The limited NTC also shouldn't handcuff the team at the later end of the contract.  I'm interested to see now if there will be any market fallout that drives down the cost of other UFA goaltenders.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #467 on: 04 October 2020, 16:27:01 »
Yes, and really it should cause some ripples.  Everyone thinks they are worth Vasilevskiy cash when it comes to contract time.  But this changes things, a very good goalie staying on relatively cheap to help produce a winner is big. 

Register