Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157553 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #420 on: 02 February 2018, 02:48:40 »
Just got done with Geostorm..  I actually loved it, but really felt the end was a little poor..  First off, rebuilding it so soon?  Surely they would have to work on rebuilding all those destroyed cities first..  THEN figure out how to ensure what happened didn't get done again...

Would have also been nice to see HOW deep the conspiracy went to ruin the world..  How many other countries had people involved..
And a brief blurb at the end mentioning how many millions got killed..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #421 on: 04 February 2018, 20:41:07 »
To stay up after the Super Bowl to stream Cloverfield 3, or to wait until tomorrow because I'm old and nirmally go to bed at 9:00?

Hmmmmmm...
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #422 on: 05 February 2018, 00:10:50 »
To stay up after the Super Bowl to stream Cloverfield 3, or to wait until tomorrow because I'm old and nirmally go to bed at 9:00?

Hmmmmmm...

Cloverfield 3??????

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #423 on: 05 February 2018, 00:25:51 »
Cloverfield 3??????

One word: Netflix

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #424 on: 05 February 2018, 02:23:33 »
Yep. Surprise release!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #425 on: 05 February 2018, 15:11:37 »
So, anyone remember an old Dustin Hoffman/Andy Garcia film, Hero??  I am getting it from the library soon.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #426 on: 05 February 2018, 16:15:54 »
It is fine, but seems off.  I told my wife when we saw it if it had been made in the Forties it would have been perfect.  It is definitely shooting for  the *It Happened One Night* or *His Girl Friday* screwball comedy homage.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #427 on: 06 February 2018, 03:18:28 »
ok how did i miss this gem from 98?
taxi
a french comedy rather enjoyable and it let me re fresh some of my french
what ever happened to comedies like this...? now if i could remember how laugh
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #428 on: 07 February 2018, 12:53:40 »
The Raid: Redemption, 2012.  This is not a great film.  The characters are mere sketches at best (Iko Uwais's Rama is introduced quietly completing his morning prayers, then kissing his pregnant wife goodbye, then speaking to his father before strapping on a pistol and badge.  In a fast brush stroke his is set as The Hero.  That is as in depth as it gets) and the set up perfunctory (he is a rookie in a well armed police team raiding a drug dealer's stronghold in Jakarta.  It goes pear-shaped and he has to fight his way up and then back out).  It is more like an old-school video game than a film.

But as a martial arts *movie*?  It is amazing.  It is a running, incredibly choreographed fight scene in the way that *Fury Road* is a running car chase.  There are a couple fighting styles in the move, but the main characters are all practitioners of pencak silat, which is perfect for this: close combat, improvised and brutal.  Silat make Krav Maga look like wushu.   And as good as he is, Iko Uwais isn't even the best fighter in the film.  That would be Yayan Ruhian, who is evil but so freaking genial about it you come to like him.  At one point he gets the drop on one of the cops using a hand gun.  Gesturing the man into an apartment, he unloads the gun, explaining he never liked to use them as there was no real rush.  "It is like ordering take out."  Smiling, he lets the cop take the first punch.  "This is what I do," he says, before taking beating the cop to death with his hands, feet, knees, forearms, body, and anything else at hand.  At 5'2 and lean, Ruhian is a human blur even as he is towered over by the other actors.  If you ever wanted to know what Cassie Suthorn looked like in a fight, Yayan Ruhian is it. 

The fights are amazing, and they don't look like a martial arts demonstration, they look like people trying their best not to get killed. The stunts are fantastic, the kind you can't get away with in the us anymore without resorting to CGI.  There is a gag where a guy hits back-first on a stairway banister that I still don't know how he lived.  The whole movie is that visceral. 

Not a great film, but an amazing movie.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #429 on: 07 February 2018, 13:46:36 »
  If you ever wanted to know what Cassie Suthorn looked like in a fight, Yayan Ruhian is it. 
Different kind of silat. Cassie does silat harimau (tiger silat). You can see Iko demo it in another film

https://youtu.be/wu-6jLqhcNQ from 1:10.

And, well, this movie type silat has as much relation to silat as Jason Bourne's fighting has with... whatever. Inspired by? Oh yes. Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhia are both legit silat national champs. But the moves here (which they helped choreograph) are strictly movieland.

Whereas I understand Krav maga is quite the actual practical thing.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #430 on: 10 February 2018, 04:03:26 »
I finally struggled through the rest of Guardians of the Galaxy 2. It was a real slog for me, given how much I detest nostalgic pop culture references. Every time the film did something I started to enjoy, it would then ruin it with yet another damn reference to something like Pac-man. (Seriously, the last good Pac-man game was over thirty years ago, and the last thing we saw Pac-man in at all was freaking Pixels, so thanks for reminding me of that particular trainwreck.) Ugh.

I won't get into the other things that pissed me off about the film, out of respect to those who have not seen it and might enjoy it.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #431 on: 12 February 2018, 22:02:44 »
Let's see.  Two roundtrips from SF to Hong Kong with a roundtrip from HK to Qingdoa China thrown in so lots of movies.

Kingsman - Golden Circle - OK not as good as the first but still a fun way to kill two hours.  Semi original plot but fairly predictable.  Kudos to Elton John for the kick ass cameo. 

Lego - Ninjago - my god what a waste.  Painful to watch.  Jacky Chan must be hurting for money.  I'd rather step on a Lego then watch this again.

Deadpool - OK I understand you all say it ages ago.  This movie rocked.  Loved the character, the story, the sarcasm, the action and the sarcasm.  Did I mention the sarcasm?  I hope they follow this up. 

Looper - OK so I'm not up to dated.  This was way better than I expected.  I liked the story and how it all unfolded.  My kind of sci-fi

Rough Night - Obviously I was running out of things to watch on the plane.  Nothing original about this film.  It did have som funny moments but I wouldn't waste your time with it. 

The Dark Tower - this is an oldie.  Interesting story but semi low budget.  Good for wasting two hours

American Made - I really enjoyed this story and watching Tom Cruise be a greedy dirty scumbag, because he is, made it all the better.  I can recommend this even if you hate Tom Cruise (and who doesn't)

American Assassin - OK I might have had too much vodka by the time I watched this but I swear it wasn't bad.  Actually it was pretty good.  Don't know if it was the greatest casting but what the heck.  Classic revenge movie

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #432 on: 12 February 2018, 23:09:45 »
I'm trying to remember the last Jackie Chan movie that I actually thought was good, not counting the Kung Fu Panda films since he wasn't the star in any of them.  Seems like he's mostly just taking movies based on what they'll pay and how easy they are to film, which honestly isn't that different from how a lot of actors have gone as they've aged.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #433 on: 12 February 2018, 23:27:38 »
I'm trying to remember the last Jackie Chan movie that I actually thought was good, not counting the Kung Fu Panda films since he wasn't the star in any of them.  Seems like he's mostly just taking movies based on what they'll pay and how easy they are to film, which honestly isn't that different from how a lot of actors have gone as they've aged.
he may had not aged well but he survived and is still relevant as an actor and fan icon...cant be said about a lot of actors from his generation...and i would love to see another actor top  his stunts. which will not happen anytime soon or if ever...
last movie i watched with him was rob  b good cute story still a lot of comedy in it and watched drunken master(subb of course) last night...pain is a great thing to keep one awake
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #434 on: 13 February 2018, 00:01:06 »

I haven't watched it yet, but I've heard he was really good in "The Foreigner" with Pierce Brosnan.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #435 on: 13 February 2018, 02:29:34 »
Shinjuku Incident I think. But he's always starred in, if not outright a B-movie, then less-than-serious slapstick action. Thats almost his stock-in-trade as a matter of fact.

He's slowed down considerably due to age and dozens of stunt injuries taking its toll. Hence a lot of what made his movies interesting ain't there no more...

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #436 on: 13 February 2018, 13:56:02 »
I haven't watched it yet, but I've heard he was really good in "The Foreigner" with Pierce Brosnan.

I haven't caught this yet, but I heard it was pretty good as well, in the Taken vein more than, say, Police Story.  He has moved into the Liam Neeson phase of his career.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #437 on: 13 February 2018, 14:41:16 »
I loved the foreigner.. Great acting all around and damn good action scenes!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #438 on: 13 February 2018, 16:17:08 »
Deadpool - OK I understand you all say it ages ago.  This movie rocked.  Loved the character, the story, the sarcasm, the action and the sarcasm.  Did I mention the sarcasm?  I hope they follow this up.
You are very much in luck. Deadpool 2 teaser and trailer. (Language / adult content warning!)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #439 on: 14 February 2018, 01:24:54 »
Just got done watching a film with Lou Diamond Phillips, in somewhat of a perpherial roll, called The Triangle..  Interesting premise as it tied somewhat into the film the Philadelphia experiment.  BUT man was it long at 245 minutes!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #440 on: 14 February 2018, 01:36:14 »
Just got done watching a film with Lou Diamond Phillips, in somewhat of a perpherial roll, called The Triangle..  Interesting premise as it tied somewhat into the film the Philadelphia experiment.  BUT man was it long at 245 minutes!

He's always a fun actor to watch.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #441 on: 14 February 2018, 14:36:04 »
Lou's had a # of good roles (especially loved him in Numbers as that tracker guy), while other roles were "meh", such as the film Striking point.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #442 on: 14 February 2018, 14:49:57 »
Just got back from seeing Black Panther.

Very enjoyable film, not as good as Ragnarok but then again its more in the mold of Winter Soldier in tone. 
The set peices were very enjoyable, the whole feel of Wakanda, its asthetic, the clothing and look was amazing and the acting was very very good.

But it didn't quite grab me as I was hoping, I still really enjoyed it, but i'm not going to say it was amazing and the best thing since sliced bread. 

Still well worth a watch. :)

Oh and there are 2 post credit scenes.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #443 on: 14 February 2018, 23:54:18 »
Caught "Thank you for your service".  it did imo a good job in showing the dysfunction of the VA (that's all i am saying about it) and the tribulations of servicemen (and their spouses) have on returning from long deployments, often with undiagnozed issues..

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #444 on: 15 February 2018, 00:10:19 »
Caught "Thank you for your service".  it did imo a good job in showing the dysfunction of the VA (that's all i am saying about it) and the tribulations of servicemen (and their spouses) have on returning from long deployments, often with undiagnozed issues..
this one was abit too close to home for me and people i deal and dealt with...

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #445 on: 15 February 2018, 15:41:29 »
You are very much in luck. Deadpool 2 teaser and trailer. (Language / adult content warning!)

THANK YOU SIR!

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #446 on: 15 February 2018, 18:17:43 »
Started watching Babylon 5 and I am LOVING IT! [drool]

Just started season 2 and I have watched the movies Gathering and In the Beginning so far. A little out of order, I know; but I wanted to see how things started.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #447 on: 15 February 2018, 19:08:23 »
Seasons 2-4 are where the show really shines. Enjoy, it's one of my favorites!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #448 on: 15 February 2018, 19:39:09 »
Seasons 2-4 are where the show really shines. Enjoy, it's one of my favorites!
beat me to it...but its true season 2 through 4 were the better ones...
wish excalibur continued and rangers had potential that was killed too early

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #449 on: 15 February 2018, 19:55:56 »
finally saw the latest trailer for ready player one
is it my imagination i spotted at least mad dog mech along with timber wolf in one scene?
i think its just whishful thinking on my part but they do look very close...

Register