Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 143857 times)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #450 on: 21 October 2021, 16:11:55 »
What are the other three companies?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #451 on: 21 October 2021, 16:22:37 »
What are the other three companies?
House Hiritsu
Probably Red Lancers
Probably 2nd St. Ives Lancers

Judging by my notes, i've been toying with the idea of replacing Red Lancers with some BigMac company, probably due to painting. But i would like Dark Age BigMac so might stick with Red Lancers.
For the St. Ives Lancers, i'm considering Blackwind Lancers as an alternate option, but the fact they get destroyed in the Jihad means i probably won't go through with this plan. Plus i think the paint scheme would be a bit too close to the Alliance i've already done.

Figure these would cover various CapCon units pretty nicely.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #452 on: 22 October 2021, 23:59:57 »
1 thought is to drop off 1 of those companies to do 3 different lances instead.  (or 2 companies)

That way you can tailor some of the Minis to match the era.

So if someone is destroyed in the clan invasion you can give them just SW era models.

Someone created in the post Jihad era?  Give them any of your newest models that are from Jihad+ TROs.

My own Liao force ideas is Lances of DeathCommandos, Tau Ceti Rangers, Blackwind Lancers, & Tikonov Republican Guards.
With full Company & conventional units as Big Mac.
At least that is the plan if I ever finish them all, for now its like 4 DC, 6 Big Mac & a single TCR mech done w/ nothing finished for the Lancers/Guards, lol.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #453 on: 23 October 2021, 06:00:34 »
I have company and lance rosters and variants picked out already, it is just a matter of deciding paint schemes. These are designed around tech and options circa 3062. These work fine for Dark Age games too (i don't really play anything else), with some variant changes. I don't do smaller units than companies, as that way i have many options for smaller games while keeping units consistent looking.

My biggest issue with the Red Lancers is that i don't like doing three-color schemes beyond camos, on the account of required care. I can do it though.
Primary alternatives are House Imarra, House Lu Sann and Death Commandos.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #454 on: 23 October 2021, 11:20:29 »
Actually... I keep disparaging the CTF-5L and TDR-12R but at the same time, i find them extremely appealing. They're so very... quirky.

There's nothing really wrong with these designs besides that they need to be screened against melee units. An accompanying platoon of Shen Longs could probably do the job wonderfully.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #455 on: 23 October 2021, 12:36:34 »
Think my bigger problem is with the CTF-5L. Really, from the 4L, a stealth sniper, to reflec armor with somewhat dubious close range armament.
In the context of CCAF it is fine as an option. But the RotS not adopting a superb stealth 'Mech...

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #456 on: 23 October 2021, 13:49:08 »
Did the Tikonov facility ever switch to the 4L? Consider that the Word of Blake took Tikonov over and then the Republic.... Do we know if they could get enough stealth armor imported?
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #457 on: 23 October 2021, 14:09:21 »
Did the Tikonov facility ever switch to the 4L? Consider that the Word of Blake took Tikonov over and then the Republic.... Do we know if they could get enough stealth armor imported?
Pretty sure that one did construct the 4L, which is also available for the WoB. Plus the RG entry for thhe Cataphract 5L explicitly refers it as evolution of the 4L.

Logistics may be a reason for the change to be sure, perhaps the RotS didn't have enough stealth armor. They did manufactured the Bolla, so they have access to it. Though i'd assume the armor was manufactured on Tikonov, but i guess it is not impossible it is produced on Sian or some other Capellan planet.

(Of course, IRL, the 4L is not WYSIWYG so a new variant was needed.)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #458 on: 23 October 2021, 21:14:01 »
Here's another question to bounce off you guys: What do you not like about the Capellan Confederation?  What would you change if you had the chance?  Feel free to be honest, the Mask is not watching this thread, citizens.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #459 on: 23 October 2021, 21:40:58 »
Here's another question to bounce off you guys: What do you not like about the Capellan Confederation?  What would you change if you had the chance?  Feel free to be honest, the Mask is not watching this thread, citizens.

Recent leadership.  Since the game started, Chancellors have been mostly on the nutty/weak spectrum (Maximillian, Romano, and Daoshen).  Sun-Tzu was very competent in making the most of little to work with, but he didn’t fundamentally change the Confederation’s sharper flaws.  I’d love to see a smart reformer in the mode of Theodore Kurita.  Danai is a good military leader, but the Confederation needs better statesmen.  Dunno the long-term implications of the whole Caleb rape thing...
« Last Edit: 24 October 2021, 11:12:25 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #460 on: 23 October 2021, 21:54:26 »

The Mask. Well, internally anyway. Maskirovka means military deception. Suitable for intelligence agency to be sure, since intelligence and deception go hand in hand. But turning that stuff to internal matters...
Not big on secret polices. Figure CapCon has pretty damn good carrots in its system, it doesn't really need sticks.
Though i suppose it could be worse. Could be Combine level stuff.

Also question the caste system in many ways. As it is, i figure the servitor caste is especially problematic. It causes problems even when liberating historically and culturally Capellan worlds, and is worse when conquered worlds' populations are placed to servitor caste. And i don't say this from moral perspective, but purely pragmatic one. Inefficient and increases risk of resistance, requires additional resources from the Mask, etc etc. Lighter touch can work just fine, and there are other methods to turn people to see value in the Capellan system.
Figure Sun-Tzu realized this, but Daoshen stopped any reforms even if those weren't overturned.

CapCon also has perhaps somewhat excessively revanchist attitudes, in a sense stuck in the past. I mean, something like the Chesterton worlds. 500 years under the FedSuns... they ain't Capellan anymore. They weren't really Capellan when they were annexed by the FedSuns, as the CapCon did not even exists then, even if the original constituent polities were around.
I find it questionable use of military power to bother going after them after all this time. Sure, it worked but i question its worth. Especially since there's targets like the Republic of the Sphere, and now the Clans are close enough... the FedSuns campaigns may have been waste of people, money, materiel, etc.
I'll grant that pretty much everyone in the Inner Sphere does make similar mistakes, but the Chesterton situation feels like an extreme example.

Also not sure about the current drive toward Terra. Reclaiming the actually Capellan worlds the Word of Blake and then Republic annexed? Sure. But going further... risky risky risky. It has been a good run, and i figure it could be far safer and better for the CapCon to stop and consolidate rather than push even more.

The current merc hiring freeze. Why? Being victorious means mercenaries are more trustworthy, and using them may speed up attaining goals and whatever else. As well as stuff is going, there's always a very real chance of sudden setbacks and reversals, mercs could help there. And the CapCon has a long history of hiring mercs, this timing feels especially odd.
Yeah sure, it sounds better when all victories are done by Capellan forces without help from mercs, but letting that go to your head is so dangerous. Cool head, pragmatic attitude is needed, not just national pride or zeal. CapCon needs more leaders who remember that. Unfortunately Daoshen seems to have some screws loose, though i suppose he could be way worse.

CapCon could embrace other than Chinese culture a bit more too. And instead of looking so much into past, why not make it about Capellan culture. In meta-sense, getting mostly Chinese-styled and named stuff gets a bit boring. I mean, look at the Ghost Bears and their obsession with bears and... well, not ghosts but skulls are close enough.
(Again, other Inner Sphere nations are pretty much as guilty of this. Would say same about them.)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #461 on: 23 October 2021, 22:47:39 »
CapCon also has perhaps somewhat excessively revanchist attitudes, in a sense stuck in the past.

If you take away the Capellan Confederation's utter unwillingess to EVER let someone take what's theirs and get away with it, how much of the faction's character would you have invalidated right there? Never forgetting, never forgiving, and never giving up are the essential hallmarks of the Capellan Confederation.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #462 on: 23 October 2021, 23:07:02 »
CapCon could embrace other than Chinese culture a bit more too. And instead of looking so much into past, why not make it about Capellan culture. In meta-sense, getting mostly Chinese-styled and named stuff gets a bit boring. I mean, look at the Ghost Bears and their obsession with bears and... well, not ghosts but skulls are close enough.
This is a big one for me; I'd like to see a more independent culture come about without such a heavy fixation on a single historical source.  The Xin Sheng movement worked in more ways than just culture, but I think something new could have been accomplished instead of mimicking the Kuritan fixation on certain aspects of Japan.

Which then prompts the question, what would an original, descended-from-the-Warsaw-Pact-ish Capellan culture look like?  Granted the Tikonov region spends good chunks of game-time in foreign hands, either FS or RotS, but its influences could have spread in the meantime.  I admit to being more of a fan of Russian and other North Slavic peoples' culture than Chinese, but that's my personal bias.

But back to the question of a Capellan culture, what would such a thing look like?  Obviously there'd be a lot of pressure socially to do things for the state, and I can picture a general draft into conventional military forces with social rewards for those who serve.  What kind of theater do they prefer?  What kinds of music gets popular in the nation?  Is there anime?  What would be traditional "ethnic" attire, and how often is it celebrated?  How much does it look like life on Airstrip One?  What kind of foods are considered traditional?

I suppose there's "room for all" under the banner, but it feels like the heavy Chinese bent that Sun Tzu started drove out all the other cultural aspects, in the same way the Kuritans drove out most non-Japanese culture.  I'd like to see more amalgamation, in that regard, myself.
If you take away the Capellan Confederation's utter unwillingess to EVER let someone take what's theirs and get away with it, how much of the faction's character would you have invalidated right there? Never forgetting, never forgiving, and never giving up are the essential hallmarks of the Capellan Confederation.
"What was ever once Capellan is ever always Capellan"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #463 on: 23 October 2021, 23:31:42 »
Need to ponder the Capellan culture question a bit. Ain't easy, short answers for that.

Never forgetting, never forgiving, and never giving up are the essential hallmarks of the Capellan Confederation.
The first two of those have never been part of what attracts me to CapCon. At all.
Never giving up, sure, that works. But i don't interpret that as it being necessary to pursue utterly stupid ideas, such as reclaiming something that never was.

Someone conquering places, such as happened during 4th SW? No, no giving up, they will be retaken. The Xing Shen campaign was that. Pursuing Chesterton worlds which never were part of CapCon and haven't been even close for some 500 years? This is just stupidity, waste of energy, focus, resources, everything.

One thing that really struck me when i read The Capellan Solution so long ago was a thought of Sun-Tzu's, most certainly biased and probably somewhat inaccurate thought, that the Periphery nations care a lot of more about territory than people. Reclaiming Capellan worlds isn't about the world, places themselves. It is heritage, people who are, most likely identify Capellan. A world that isn't Capellan... reclaiming that is waste. Nothing is gained. It is not giving up, because there's nothing to give up on. And the fact is that after hundreds of years stuff stops being Capellan or whatever else. Change is inevitable, ignoring that is a folly.

Besides, CapCon is capable of forgiving and forgetting. Andurien and Magistracy have been enemies of Cappies at times. Now, allies.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2021, 23:33:17 by Empyrus »

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #464 on: 24 October 2021, 04:37:26 »
Given what's going on beyond the Confederations borders they would be better off consolidating the gains made since 3132 and exploring the possibilities of integrating the Magistracy of Canopus and Duchy of Andurien into the Confederation, the Canopus and Andurien Commonalities have a nice ring to them.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #465 on: 24 October 2021, 08:50:52 »
Given what's going on beyond the Confederations borders they would be better off consolidating the gains made since 3132 and exploring the possibilities of integrating the Magistracy of Canopus and Duchy of Andurien into the Confederation, the Canopus and Andurien Commonalities have a nice ring to them.
A merger needs to be done slowly and carefully, if at all. And dubbing those places Commonalities would lead to locals feeling being conquered. We're talking about nations with long historories and distinct cultures. I would assume MoC people are quite fine with an alliance, but being part of another nation is another matter.
And going about a merger in equal way is really difficult. The MoC is very liberal and equal place, while the CapCon has caste system, figure these cannot be hybridized, and change in either nation could be problematic. Say, if the CapCon dropped the system, higher castes could end up rebelling because they lose their privileges.

I will point out what happened with the FedCom. It wasn't just the Lyran half that felt they were taken over by Davions, FedSuns people felt they ended up taking care of some distant foreigners.

Might be smarter to create a supra-national organization in vein of the Star League except tailored for these members only. Cement the Trinity Alliance as a real thing.
Or just seek ever stronger alliance without formal creation of any supra-national body.

Also, just being pragmatic, if the Duchy of Andurien screws up, that's on them. If "Greater Capellan Confederation" screws up... And as long as the Duchy is independent, it works as a buffer state between the FWL and CapCon.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #466 on: 24 October 2021, 10:57:53 »
Sharing my CapCon companies that i've planned and have minis for, just need to get around assembling and painting.

In this list, all variants are set circa 3062, maybe few years later in some cases. Roles and formations are designated based on those. I don't use formation rules, these are just for neat looking organization on paper.
For actual games, i'll just pick units from within a company, and variants based on tech and whim up to BV limit.
* designates OmniMechs.

House Hiritsu:
Note that Striker and Cavalry lance are rules-wise same thing, here Strikers are faster while Cavalry are only 5/8 movers.
Code: [Select]
Striker lance:
Wraith Medium TR1 Skirmisher
Ti Ts'ang Heavy TSG-9H Skirmisher
Cicada Medium CDA-3M Striker
Trebuchet Medium TBT-7M Missile Boat

Command lance:
Charger Assault CGR-3K Skirmisher
Catapult Heavy CPLT-C1 Missile Boat
Raven Light RVN-3L/4L Scout
Vindicator Medium VND-3L/4L Brawler/Skirmisher

Cavalry lance:
Thunder Heavy THR-1L Skirmisher
Jinggau Heavy JN-G8A Skirmisher
Huron Warrior Medium HUR-WO-R4L Skirmisher
Snake Medium SNK-1V Striker

Red Lancers/House Imarra/House Lu Sann/Death Commandos:
Have yet to decide which one this is.
EDIT Red Lancers or Lu Sann. Leaning toward the latter due to it having only two primary colors. Plus they look good.
EDIT Turns out Lu Sann is currently non-existent. Well, damn. House Imarra without gold perhaps, or just very very little of it...
Command lance:
Men Shen Medium MS1-O* Striker
Yu Huang Assault Y-H9G Skirmisher
Catapult Heavy CPLT-C1/C2 Missile Boat
Raven Light RVN-3L/4L Scout

Assault lance:
Atlas Assault AS7-K Sniper
Stalker Assault STK-5M Juggernaut
Cataphract Heavy CTF-3L Sniper
Cataphract Heavy CTF-3L Sniper

Probe/Fire lance:
Sha Yu Medium SYU-2B Sniper
Anubis Light ABS-3L Missile Boat
Lao Hu Heavy LHU-2B Skirmisher
Duan Gung Light D9-G9 Missile Boat

St. Ives Lancers:
Probably going for 2nd St. Ives Lancers.
The Guillotine is a bit unusual but because i'm scrapping my planned Star League unit, i moved the Guillotine here to replace a Cossack. This also allowed somewhat better organization.
Battle lance:
Blackjack Omni Medium BJ2-O Brawler*
Blackjack Medium BJ-3 Brawler
Helios Heavy HEL-3D Skirmisher
Guillotine Heavy GLT-4L/5M Skirmisher

Assault lance:
Sunder Assault SD1-O Brawler*
Victor Assault VTR-9D/9K Skirmisher
Pillager Assault PLG-3Z Juggernaut
Catapult Heavy CPLT-C4C? Missile Boat

Support lance:
Firestarter Light FS9-S/S1 Scout
Vindicator Medium VND-1SIC Brawler
Black Hawk-KU Heavy BHKU-O Skirmisher*

I may expand these later on to combined arms battalions with vehicles and battle armor (and/or conventional infantry).
« Last Edit: 24 October 2021, 12:25:03 by Empyrus »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #467 on: 24 October 2021, 13:34:24 »
Reclaiming Capellan worlds isn't about the world, places themselves.

On the contrary, the world belongs to the people who are one with the State. Even if not one person remains on a world claiming Capellan nationality, that doesn't erase the Capellan people's right to what was wrongfully taken from them. Squatters are simply an accessory to theft. Were they never stolen, they would remain Capellan. Once liberated, Capellans will live their once again because they will have the use of what was always rightfully theirs.

There are not multiple separate peoples of this or that planet - there is one Capellan people, the worlds of the Confederation are theirs collectively, and that which was broken must be made whole.

Besides, CapCon is capable of forgiving and forgetting. Andurien and Magistracy have been enemies of Cappies at times. Now, allies.

A crime atoned for is not one forgotten, and just because the Confederation is not pursuing redress of an outstanding crime by active force of arms does not mean it isn't being pursued, and cannot be pursued by other means. Andurien is a Capellan world and the Confederation will pursue its return, by one means or another. No need to drop a Brigade of 'Mechs on the Humphreys's palace if they might yet see the error of their ways.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #468 on: 24 October 2021, 19:25:33 »
Andurien is a Capellan world and the Confederation will pursue its return, by one means or another.
This makes me wonder, is there a map of the Confederation at its height?  Something that shows what's rightfully Capellan clay by dint of "at one point this belonged to us."

And what of worlds that are conquered that were never Capellan to begin with (such as New Syrtis)?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #469 on: 24 October 2021, 19:44:09 »
This makes me wonder, is there a map of the Confederation at its height?  Something that shows what's rightfully Capellan clay by dint of "at one point this belonged to us."
CC 2750 map is about largest extent of CapCon ever:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:CC-2750.png

Strictly speaking there were some "gains" from the Hegemony after the First Succession War, but... weren't those worlds pretty much rubble by the time the Star League collapsed, thanks to Amaris? If not, they'd be soon enough because everyone liked to fight over Hegemony worlds.
Of course, all this cost bunch of worlds on both FS and FWL borders. Great going there, Chancellors.

EDIT Might've been "net positive" against the FedSuns, not sure.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2021, 19:46:19 by Empyrus »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #470 on: 24 October 2021, 22:55:05 »
And what of worlds that are conquered that were never Capellan to begin with (such as New Syrtis)?

New Syrtis is back in FedSuns hands, and the narrow salient that led to it's occupation was clearly never meant to be held long-term. Sometimes you simply must go into the vipers' nest to cut off heads & root out the threat. There remain a few Capellan worlds unreclaimed on the FedSuns front such as Bell & Lee, but nearly all the major worlds have been reclaimed on that front.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #471 on: 24 October 2021, 23:56:55 »
Since we're apparently musing on redemption arcs for the Cataphract 5L and Thunderbolt 12R, have opinions softened any on the Raven 5L? I recall it being received pretty negatively.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #472 on: 25 October 2021, 01:10:21 »
Since we're apparently musing on redemption arcs for the Cataphract 5L and Thunderbolt 12R, have opinions softened any on the Raven 5L? I recall it being received pretty negatively.
I still have somewhat mixed feelings on it. Better speed is appreciated as this has always been the Raven's big weakness. Worse scout (no active probe). Worse combatant in general too, due to very limited missiles. The iNarc's good, nice to see it getting some use.
The thing about the Cataphract and T-bolt variants is that they're weird and quirky which makes them interesting. The Raven is more of a straight side-upgrade. Err, side-grade. Not-quite-vertical-upgrade?

Some specific issues as i see them:
-The Angel ECM is a mistake here, IMO. Considering the Raven has nothing that particularly requires it to be running without Stealth, the Angel gets wasted easily, or stealth armor gets wasted*. A Guardian would save half a ton, for CASE if nothing else, or that half a ton could be valuable with additional changes. Naturally this would be mitigated if one uses TacOps extra ECM rules, in which case the Angel offers Guardian and stealth-armor benefits at once. (But i'm not one to use those for sake of simplicity and speed, and because that way i only need BMM open.)
-The one-shot SRM-2s are problematic. The good speed kinda makes them useful for backstabbing, yet the 'Mechs nature as a support unit indicates specialty munitions (not counting Narc-equipped ones as specialty munitions, figure they're the default essentially) might be in order. And their limited nature means one may end up hoarding them for the perfect opportunity. Also, under standard rules, alternate munition options are extremely limited. Infernos are OK, but though SRM-2 Inferno effectiveness is somewhat low; Fragmentation missiles are too specialized against conventional infantry to be generally useful (depending on your table of, course), and this covered non-Narc and non-Artemis options. As for TacOps options, ARADs can be good but because their benefits don't stack with iNarc pods (ARADs are more useful with standard Narc pods), they're of limited usefulness in this case. Tandem-charges are good, Smoke depends on whether smoke rules are in play. Others i find too rule-intensive or just not worth it.
-In some ways the speed is excessive, perhaps. 7/11 would free enough weight, combined with using just Guardian ECM, to carry a SRM-6 with a ton of ammo. And since the iNarc and TAG are the primary tools here, i figure 7/11 speed is enough, especially for the iNarc thanks to its increased range. Further tweaks could've bought a supercharger perhaps.
-Amusing missed opportunity: Guardian would've allowed using two iOS MML-3s instead of 3xiOS SRM-2. Better? Maybe not, but would've allowed LRM special munition options.

And finally, i find the lack of active probe to be an annoyance. Not because it is useful, but because the Raven II isn't actually that great scout. It is expensive thanks to the TSEMP, it is slower, and it has stealth too. Active probes cannot be used with stealth, and Bloodhound rules, which the Raven II carries, specifically note that it cannot be used while stealthed even though it defeats normal ECM. (Well, at least TacOps rules say so, BMM doesn't make note of this, need to go ask clarification for that.) And using the TSEMP disables the Bloodhound for the next round, though i grant it is unlikely you need the probe after initial contact, unless one is using active probe enhanced targeting rules.
In a sense, the Raven 5L would be better suited for carrying an active probe. No comment on how to fit it.
This all said, using both 'Mechs at once makes for potent EWAR unit, as the RG6 pretty much notes.

Anyway, despite this all apparent negativity, i'm fine with the Raven 5L. It does offer an interesting alternative despite its limitations.

*Funny thing: the FedSuns Vulpes has stealth armor, and that actually lowers its BV cost. Because of heat calculations. But it is an extreme edge case.

EDIT ended up writing more than i expected. Figure i might almost copy-paste this to my Raven MotW once i get around finish updating it, work in progress...

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #473 on: 25 October 2021, 08:46:15 »

I doubt the people of the Magistracy would welcome their Capellan overlords with open arms even if they have the Centrella name. The Magistracy already had riots during the Victoria War when the Magestrix stripped several border worlds of ther garrisons and the Marians came in taking loot and slaves. Thraxa and Vixen split from the Magistracy because of that. Don't forget that the inhabitants of the Periphery cherish their freedoms very much. Though maybe Danai will unite them from the simple fact that their current leaders have no heirs (though for the Centrellas what about the descendants of Erde Centreally? they could technically rule the Magistracy). And if the Confederation would accept a half Canopian as ruler might be also worthy of discussion if you think how Ilsa was "confined" to rule the Magistracy while her younger borther Daoshen got the Confederation.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #474 on: 25 October 2021, 10:59:33 »
The iNarc is definitely the big "oooh" of the 5L to me, even though the Confederation already imports the beautiful Tufana variant.

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #475 on: 30 October 2021, 15:44:12 »
The excessive forcing of Mandarin Chinese into everything Capellan. Sort of in-universe and OOC. The translations and transliterations are usually shaky, and it was more fun and easier to refer to ranks like Subcommander or Force Leader than Sao-wei or Yi-si-ben-bing. It's also funky since Chancellor or the name of the nation isn't changed. I liked the Capellans as they were, a new culture that was amalgamated from a half dozen states, rather than Space China. There was a charm to older fluff still having many Chinese influenced things that were referred to as "Capellan" because, hey, it's 1000 years in the future and in space and now people associate certain things with this civilization. But the blatant naming of almost all new mechs something in a clunky translation of Mandarin, well I'm sorry if the Maskirovka rounds me up because it's just not something I'm a fan of.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #476 on: 31 October 2021, 23:18:20 »
The excessive forcing of Mandarin Chinese into everything Capellan. Sort of in-universe and OOC. The translations and transliterations are usually shaky, and it was more fun and easier to refer to ranks like Subcommander or Force Leader than Sao-wei or Yi-si-ben-bing. It's also funky since Chancellor or the name of the nation isn't changed. I liked the Capellans as they were, a new culture that was amalgamated from a half dozen states, rather than Space China. There was a charm to older fluff still having many Chinese influenced things that were referred to as "Capellan" because, hey, it's 1000 years in the future and in space and now people associate certain things with this civilization. But the blatant naming of almost all new mechs something in a clunky translation of Mandarin, well I'm sorry if the Maskirovka rounds me up because it's just not something I'm a fan of.

:thumbsup:

Indeed, I loved the strange hodgepodge of Russian, Scottish, Chinese and other cultures coming together.

I very much disliked the 'nationalization' in the later 3050s/3060s. The Capellans becoming Chinese, the Lyrans becoming German, and what was left of the non-Japanese elements in the Combine gone...
Altough I exaggerate a bit, I still liked the old 3025 mixup better.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #477 on: 31 October 2021, 23:53:18 »
at least with the capellans they gave an excuse, with their "cultural revolution" Xin Sheng movement.. the other states becoming more ethnically styled just sorta happened around the same time, with no real justification given.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #478 on: 01 November 2021, 06:45:05 »
:thumbsup:

Indeed, I loved the strange hodgepodge of Russian, Scottish, Chinese and other cultures coming together.

Unfortunately, a large part of the Russian and Scottish elements ran away. 
(joking aside, I agree.)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #479 on: 01 November 2021, 07:57:27 »
Given that CapCon has "Haappajarvi" (which i presume is meant to be misspelled "Haapajärvi"), i'm thinking there's even a Finnish minority in CapCon, even if most Nordic colonization involved the Rasalhague space.
Err, or at least was, that place spends a lot of time in FedSuns territory...

Register