Author Topic: [MW RPG 3rd Ed] Product line  (Read 1473 times)

Giorgio76

• Private
[MW RPG 3rd Ed] Product line
« on: 01 January 2019, 12:22:55 »
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior,_Third_Edition

Mechwarrior 3rd Edition RPG has five expansions listed in Sarna in the link above (and a sixth one not listed); is the information found in these expansions also in the current MW/ATOW product line? Do I need to acquire any of these books in order to fill a “gap” of information that is missing in the current RPG ruleset?

Mechwarrior 3rd Edition RPG Expansions:
LosTech: The MechWarrior Equipment Guide
MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII
MechWarrior's Guide to the Clans
Classic BattleTech Companion
A Guide to Covert Ops
Combat Equipment

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: [MW RPG 3rd Ed] Product line
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2019, 15:21:30 »
The Guide to Covert Ops was a cool read, but I think all the crunch was captured in the new edition.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2019, 18:08:02 »
MechWarrior's Guide to Solaris VII has a system for climbing tournament rankings and calculating the winner's purse for each fight. It also has a short RPG adventure.

I don't own MechWarrior's Guide to the Clans, and I don't know how much of its general Clan contents are in AToW, but I think it also has a short RPG adventure.

Combat Equipment has a short section on drugs and poisons which I'm pretty sure is reproduced in AToW (or its companion), and the rest of the book is construction rules for Battle Armor, ProtoMechs and Support Vehicles (which got ported to TechManual and Tactical Operations).

I'm not familiar with the Classic BattleTech Companion, but I'd be very surprised if its contents weren't 100% covered by AToW or its companion.

Likewise, I suspect (but can't confirm) that LosTech: The MechWarrior Equipment Guide is mainly a lot of crunch that's covered by the current RPG books.

...I don't know enough about Guide to Covert Ops to offer an opinion there.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2019, 06:16:42 »
I have several of those books,

MechWarrior guide to solaris VII most of the traits and lifepaths are in ATOW or ATOW Campanion, it also has extensive reprints and conversions of mech scale combat (BMR/ Total warfare equivalent) into personal scale, a brief history of Solaris 7, and some info on running a campaign, along with an adventure (first impressions) and maps and location info.

MechWarrior guide to the clans has a bunch of information on setting up clan characters, some additional skills, and affiliations (in ATOW) information on clan lifestyles, and motivations, technology, campaigns and vendettas.

MechWarrior Lostech is mostly in ATOW it added additional traits (gear) like EI implants additional gear (most has equivalants IN atow or companion) and a bunch of Battle Armor stuff

classic battletech companion has lifepaths, and similar rpg stuff, affiliations, what looks like expanded battle armor construction rules, and some battlemech information (startup stuff, and buying, selling, and stealing battlemechs and  vehicles)

guide to covert ops has some additional traits and implant information (most should be in atow companion) an adventure and information on running a covert ops campaign.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2019, 23:33:59 »
each of the House Handbooks have 3rd Ed / AToW material, depending on when they were made (I think FS, LC, FWL are 3rd and CC, DC, and MPS are AToW). That info is not replicated or converted elsewhere I don't think.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?