Author Topic: Questions about Catalyst Demo Team/Agents, WWEs, and GenCon events  (Read 7448 times)

Frabby

• Major
First off: You guys (& girls) rock!

After reading over some Sarna articles, I do have a few questions - the current Sarna articles seem to be a bit unclear and we wouldn't want to spread misinformation.
Specifically, I'm looking for clarification on the following:

FanPro Commandos --> Catalyst Commandos --> Catalyst Agents --> Catalyst Demo Team was always the same organisation (in spirit at least), and essentially only changed names in the order shown above. Is that correct? Or do the above constitute separate organisations?
In the former case, when were the name changes implemented?
In the latter case, I'd appreciate any details you may care to share.

I'm currently aware of the following WWEs, dates and outcomes - anything missing?

The Battle of Monte Diablo - 2 March 2002 by FanPro Commandos
Canon status: unknown
Outcome: unknown

Trial of Retribution originally scheduled for 1 February 2003, rescheduled for 8 Feb because of space shuttle Columbia catastrophe. Run by FanPro Commandos
Canon status: unknown (I think it was canonical, but would like official confirmation)
Outcome: Ghost Bears prevailed, but both parties suffered crippling losses to their naval assets.
Other info: Limited edition Leviathan miniatures handed out.

Lawyers, Guns, & Money - 24 May 2003 by FanPro Commandos
Canon status: Canonical
Outcome: Redfield Renegades defeated. Lone Star Regiment prevails, secures lostech cache and salvages Colossus class DropShip.

Kings & Pawns - 20 November 2004 by FanPro Commandos
Canon status: unknown

Scorched Earth - Summer 2017 (when?) by Catalyst Demo Team
Canon status: Non canonical
Outcome: (irrelevant, but scenario tailored for any outcome to be compatible with established canon)

Dig, Defend, or Die 2018 (when?) by Catalyst Demo Team
Outcome: Green Ghosts defeated, Green Ghost Colossus class DropShip destroyed.

Requiem for a Blue Star - 2019 (when?) by Catalyst Demo Team
Outcome: La Grande Armée prevails, Bartlett's Boxers defeated.
Other info: LGA employer determined to have been House Davion

I'm unsure about how the GenCon events fit into this. I am aware of two GenCon events where the result determined BattleTech canon:

Operation Higashikuni - GenCon 2007 (when?) by CGL Commandos

Operation Kabutomushi - GenCon 2008 (when?) by CGL Commandos
Outcome: Word of Blake prevails, coalition attack against Ruins of Gabriel repulsed
Other info: The unexpected result created problems for CGL and upset their canon timeline when they had to "fix" it by writing in a follow-up attack that was written to be successful. No canonical events after this for years to come to avoid similar problems in the future.

There were other "Historical" canon events I think but I don't know much about them. Any and all information appreciated.
Sarna wants to know... ;)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Questions about Catalyst Demo Team/Agents, WWEs, and GenCon events
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2019, 07:43:41 »
Trial of Retribution was canonical, causing a great headache for the writers by wiping out a significant chunk of the Nova Cat and Ghost Bear fleets on the eve of the Jihad.  Some of the writers had wanted to use those ships in the Jihad storyline.  No Leviathans would have been handed out at the event, since the pieces didn't arrive (at least not mine) until a few weeks later.

Commando Quarterly Vol. 1 #2 has what there is on Monte Diablo.  Based on the battle description on p. 20-21, the Lyrans were forced to withdraw from the hill, leaving the 4th Crucis Lancers in command of the hill.  Following the battle, the 2nd and 7th Donegal shifted to a defensive status, and the campaign for Giausar ground to a halt.  I believe at the time it was considered canon, but largely irrelevant to the outcome on Giausar.

"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2019, 19:40:51 »
FanPro Commandos --> Catalyst Commandos --> Catalyst Agents --> Catalyst Demo Team was always the same organisation (in spirit at least), and essentially only changed names in the order shown above.
Correct. The numbering system, operations guide, and everything for each organization took their cues from the previous one.

The Battle of Monte Diablo - 2 March 2002 by FanPro Commandos
its very much canonical. The tabulated results were worked into canon in the FCCWSB, though I do not recall the specific pages.

Trial of Retribution...Canon status: unknown (I think it was canonical, but would like official confirmation)
It was canon, again the results were tabulated and their cumulative result was included in Field Manual: Updates.

Scorched Earth - Summer 2017 (when?) by Catalyst Demo Team
Dig, Defend, or Die 2018 (when?) by Catalyst Demo Team
Requiem for a Blue Star - 2019 (when?) by Catalyst Demo Team
All three of those ran between the end of Origins that year and the first Monday of September (Labor Day in America).

Among the other WWEs (and I'm not home so I can't check my database of files so I might skip some) were:
  • Martial Olympiads: 2002, 2003, 2004
  • Vengeance Gambit: September 2006
  • Black Ghosts, White Death: March 2007
  • Return of the Wolves: June 2007*
  • Vengeance Gambit II: September-October 2007

*It was originally planned for June, but I think it might have ended up running in the 4th Quarter that year. I don't honestly recall when it ran. I don't think I participated suggesting that I was away at college and therefore the 4th Quarter.

Edit: Got one of the files so I've updated the dates.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2019, 19:49:08 by GreyWolfActual »
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 November 2019, 09:38:06 »
  • Martial Olympiads: 2002, 2003, 2004
  • Vengeance Gambit: September 2006
  • Black Ghosts, White Death: March 2007
  • Return of the Wolves: June 2007*
  • Vengeance Gambit II: September-October 2007
Great and informative answers there, thanks a million. Of course, this leads to follow-up questions:

What exactly were the Martial Olympiads, how/where were they played out? Are there any recorded winners?

Similarly, what can you tell us about the other scenarios? What, when, where, results? Any files that can be obtained legally?

Are WWEs and Canon Events different things, or is one a sub-group of the other?

Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

GreyWolfActual

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2019, 11:07:57 »
What exactly were the Martial Olympiads, how/where were they played out? Are there any recorded winners?
They were a WWE but were more of a tournament than a scenario. Each MO had three rounds, each a unique scenario. Each Commando would tabulate scores for each player, individually, and then submit those. For the 2002 MO the results were posted publicly on the CBT site. The winner made it into FM:U, but I don't recall who it was. I don't think the 2003 and 2004 MOs were published in a product.

Similarly, what can you tell us about the other scenarios? What, when, where, results? Any files that can be obtained legally?
I wasn't an Agent until Kabutomushi, so my recollection of those scenarios is what I'm reporting to you.

Are WWEs and Canon Events different things, or is one a sub-group of the other?
They are, usually, separate. WWE is outside of conventions, canon, or as they are now called, "feature," events are run at conventions. There has been some crossover, Kabutomushi for example, but generally they are separate. The main distinction is that WWEs are intended for all Agents and all players while the feature events are intended to be a convention showpiece.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2019, 22:31:37 by GreyWolfActual »
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2019, 04:47:58 »
Thank you for the info, much obliged.
I have updated Sarna and will tinker with a few more articles pertaining to Events.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2019, 00:47:51 »
The winner made it into FM:U, but I don't recall who it was.

I believe that was the CapCon RedLancers?

Struggling with my memory here, but can you confirm the scenario details below?

1.  Was "Black Ghosts, White Death" the one w/ Loren Jaffray in a Rifleman-6X & Blakists in ambush positions as part of the scenario?

2.  Was "Return of the Wolves" w/ Stacy Church & has a couple Aerotech scenarios in it?

3.  What was the name of the New Avalon battles around the Legionnaire factory w/ Jackson Davion?

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

GreyWolfActual

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2020, 09:43:51 »
1.  Was "Black Ghosts, White Death" the one w/ Loren Jaffray in a Rifleman-6X & Blakists in ambush positions as part of the scenario?
Yes.

2.  Was "Return of the Wolves" w/ Stacy Church & has a couple Aerotech scenarios in it?
I don't remember any Aerotech component to it but I am also pretty sure that I was at college when that event ran and therefore did not participate in it.

3.  What was the name of the New Avalon battles around the Legionnaire factory w/ Jackson Davion?
That was Vengeance Gambit.
-Saul Tigh

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 07 January 2020, 21:30:21 »
I don't remember any Aerotech component to it but I am also pretty sure that I was at college when that event ran and therefore did not participate in it.

Thanks GWA.

IIRC it was a 3 part event.

Ground battle to decide the fate of the Shogun in the future.

AT battle over the ground maps with fighters.

Space battle with 3 evacuating Dragoon Dropships & some Fighters v/s Pursuing DS/Fighters.   (Overlord & 2 Aurora's IIRC v/s 1+ Unions)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo